XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Laser Rifle

gambino

I didn't say they wouldn't notice, I said they would infer the placement and function of the trigger even if the model itself didn't show it explicitly and probably wouldn't care.

I see. But why do I care? I mean, this is not just nitpicking by my side just because I want to nitpick. I really feel / felt there was missing something and it greatly disturbed me. I can't imagine there are no others like me. This, just to explain why I came up with this in the first place. Now, again, if I'm the only one feeling this is important, we don't have a problem, and I'm happy :)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why do I care?

Because you love this project like a child, perhaps. I doubt most players will be so attached. There's still a LOT of work to be done elsewhere in this department, methink :yarr:, and I'm with Vaaish on this one.

I dont think it would give much more things, if after playtest people outside the development team notice then we will review that... I prefer to have more models done, than restart the UV unwrapping and texturing again just for a trigger.

Greetings

Red Knight

I realise it's the CTD's job to explain and rationalize a great deal in the context of the game-world, but I don't think that the limits of graphics technology or concessions thereto is necessarily one of them. The makers of doom didn't explain why all of their monsters looked like cardboard cutouts, nor why the enemies in quake had heads with only 8 faces. In the latter case, the shape of their brows and mouths, etc were only implied. Calling attention to that in the text supplied with the game would have been ludicrous. '...transported to a horrific dimension where curved lines were a mathematical impossibility. The denizens of this strange world look as if they were wrought from fleshy diamond, with corners and edges infinitely acute...' No need to call attention to what can't be shown for want of better technology / more man hours.

'...transported to a horrific dimension where curved lines were a mathematical impossibility. The denizens of this strange world look as if they were wrought from fleshy diamond, with corners and edges infinitely acute...'

ROFL ever thought about joining CTD? :)

No need to call attention to what can't be shown for want of better technology / more man hours.

True. So this is settled. :)

I FREAKING LOVE YOU VAAISH, by adding the pistol grip I just got an idea for the rifle :P, sorry those base facilities will have to wait just a little bit longer :D

The black dark parts will be extreamly shiny and glossy, while the white parts will have a matte finish...

L_Rifle007.jpg

since it is still a military weapon maybe we can back that off to semigloss, and matte? Still looking good, sets see how this develops :) Edited by Vaaish

*puts a cheff hat on*

-Oi!!! No pushing back there, single file people

*Slaps on a shapeless grey mass on Vaaish's plate*

*Turns around to answer the illegible screaming coming from the back room"

-What do you mean the stuff in that fridge over there aint chicken fillet?

-Ali-en con-tain-ment?

*Looks at Vaaish*

-Er, this is our tuesday special "Roswell Surprize"...

-NEXT!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well now thats over with, heres another update... :P

L_Rifle008.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

hehe still looking good. My suggesstion would to be add ribing onto the grip texture just to break up that huge mass of blue marble.

This almost looks perfect, but IMO, The dark areas are too plentyfull and too dark for my taste... I don't know why exactly, but the lighter gray looked nicer to me. I don't know if you plan any detail for the area arround the hole, and the extrusion on the shoulder-mount, but if those were lighter, it might help. Don't know about it, though. Just looks a bit too zebrary too me :P

Oh, and I made the detail mainly for X-net view. I assume that the detail for actual battlefield view will be much smaller (and the texture detail weaker, I just assume it would be scaled down in a simple manner?)

Edited by mikker

Update

Well im starting to run out of ideas... and it looks like ist nearing completion

L_Rifle009.jpg

Well im starting to run out of ideas... and it looks like ist nearing completion

Just a thought - the pistol has some sort of stat readout above the handle (where the slide grip would be on a regular pistol) - it would seem appropriate to have something similar in the recessed panel immediately in front of/above the trigger-guard.

I agree, lets see if we can get that display panel in there possibly in the blank area behind the glowing blue section.

Also lets add more detail to that bulge on the butt since its supposed to be the power pack for the rifle. and finally lets see if we can maybe add a little something that looks like shock absorbers or a hint of texture to the blank spot on the butt too.

Work out the gloss map and do a final Brazil style render as in the pistols to see how they look. I am sure you will find ideas there... nonetheless I think that the current quality set is ok.

Greetings

Red Knight

The stat readout could be a problem as the unrwap is very unforgiving for text....

The text will be displayed correctly on one side, on the other, the text will be inverted, as both sides use the same section of the unrawp...

That is why I just did a "Power level" thing in the very begining...

My perception is that the problem with the previous power level meter was its size - I think you could use the same panel, or the one behind the glowing part, and use the same type of design you did on the pistol - a blue background with various readings and very small text laid into it. The text on the pistol is small enough that I never even begun to notice that things might be backwards. Also, why limit to one meter? I imagine an experimental laser could have readings for power, heat, component breakdowns (i.e., a small breakdown of the weapon, broken into pieces, with any malfunctioning pieces colored differently), etc. Or, perhaps a diagram of a targeting reticule, with points indicating where the past few shots hit, for scope adjustment. Just some ideas...

because said power supply doesn't have/ can't produce an "infinite" amount of energy. The screen would tell you when the power pack is running low and needs to be replaced. :) Edited by Vaaish

Ideas for readouts/meters:

Charge remaining in power supply

Heat level up to operational failure

Coolant level remaining?

Averaged number of shots remaining

Simplified diagnostic output of electrical system integrity

...idiot lights pertaining to any of the above.

Programmable trigger group setting ie. Safe, Semi, Semi shot cadence normalizer (no matter how chaotically you squeeze the trigger, the weapon will fire at a set rate), Burst (2, 3, 4, 5, 10.. whatever), Full, Burst Cadence (5 shot, 500 ms pause, 5 shot).

Some of these ideas may be a little out of the creative text concept, but there's a lot you can do with electrical weapons. Most of those ideas are taken from the operation of electrically controlled paintball guns, or the shooting discipline that soldiers practice. In the latter case, the discipline would be programmed into the gun itself (like machinegun shot cadence. In Canada it's 4 shot, then a pause, then 4 shot. In American, the cadence is "Die mother-f*cker, die. Die mother-f*cker, die"- 6 shots, then a pause). However, this is less ideas for CT than they are just for filling in space on the weapon. Take any or none as you wish.

Stupid questions time.

Are the light blue areas on the barrel supposed to glow like they do in the laser pistol?

If so, the first thing any soldier is going to think when he see's it is that it's a big "shoot me" sign when it comes to night ops.

The next thing he's going to do is cover it in paint.

Stupid questions time.

Are the light blue areas on the barrel supposed to glow like they do in the laser pistol?

If so, the first thing any soldier is going to think when he see's it is that it's a big "shoot me" sign when it comes to night ops.

The next thing he's going to do is cover it in paint.

if you don't have big flashy things in a futuristic video game, what DO you have?

of course the second he fires the thing there is an even bigger shoot me sign going back to his location :)

Looks like its done... bump gloss maps and all...

Two renders, one in the dark (To see how much of a "Hit me sign" it is... and if you think thats too much just wait untill I get my hands on the Plasmas :devilburn: ) and one in the light

I will be sending the whole zipped thing to Vaaish, one question though: Should I include the png textures or the PSD? (The psd ones will be 100x larger :D)

L_Rifle010.jpg

L_Rifle011.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

Hope you have a huge inbox Vaaish, the main PSD file is 9.83 MB... :P