XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Wip - Baretta

BenchBoy

[attachment=8625:attachment]Apologies if this is in the wrong forum but i can't post in the AWD ones just yet. thought i'd post a quick update of my barreta texmap. It's only a couple of hours old atm, i plan to do lots more work on it.

comments and crits welcome.......

Sorry about that...hopefully Stu can get you access shortly then we'll move this topic over.

What you have now doesn't look too bad. I'd drop the whitish shine portions down quite a bit on the trigger guard and the front plate on the side of the barrel.

new render with 512/512 .png

toned down the specular on the gaurd and front, i'm still not happy with the front bit, but i'm right at the edge of my photoshop knowledge.....but everyday is a school day :) and i'm learning all the time.

comments?

[attachment=8627:attachment]

that looks better but the shine still doesn't quite look like its "on" the weapon.

What blending mode are you using for that highlight layer in photoshop? try a screen or overlay and see if it helps pull the highlight into the texture more.

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Mar 21 2006, 04:56 PM']Sorry about that...hopefully Stu can get you access shortly then we'll move this topic over.

What you have now doesn't look too bad. I'd drop the whitish shine portions down quite a bit on the trigger guard and the front plate on the side of the barrel.
[right][post="151726"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Just saw this thread now. PM me for faster action. Anyway, will take the required steps; hang on.

[quote]What blending mode are you using for that highlight layer in photoshop? try a screen or overlay and see if it helps pull the highlight into the texture more.[/quote]

i have a greyscale base layer which has all the specular details on it. the colour layer is then multiplied on top, with an additional layer for scratches etc. i think i went a bit too mad with the dodge tool but it should be easy to tone it down.

Also, the render could be misleading, it has a targeted white spotlight pointed right at the gun - this could over-emphasize the whiteness of the specular. check out the first gray render, the spec seems more subtle.

more updates soon.

Stewart - i've sent you a PM

Yeah that first images does look alot better. not so blown out and fuzzy.

Maybe try adding some sharp edges to the white specular areas instead of having them fade all the time to emluate how specular has hard edges under the right lights.

should this really be here?

edit: i mean this forum, shouldn't it be somewhere else, or is this the right place? Edited by Blehm 98

Rather than start a new thread i'll post the final version of the barreta here.

Hope you guys like it - remember i'm still a photoshop no0b so advice and crits are appreciated. In my humble opinion it's finished, if someone wants to take the .PSD file to tweak just PM me.

anyways - here it is.....

[attachment=8635:attachment]

I think that looks pretty good.

Can you go ahead and attach a zip file containing what you have so far? the actual mesh in .max, the psd and the final texture in a png?

do you think you can make a bump map for it?

[quote]Can you go ahead and attach a zip file containing what you have so far? the actual mesh in .max, the psd and the final texture in a png?[/quote]

Will do that, got a busy weekend at work so it'll probably be tuesday now (28th Mar - payday! WO0t =b )

[quote]do you think you can make a bump map for it?[/quote]

i'll try, it'll look cool on the grip - i think a specular map might look pretty nice too, shouldn't be too hard to do.

I have a couple of days off next week so i'll upload everything then - i'm a bit zonked from work atm! Also, i've started to model a female Xcorp agent just for fun.

Regarding what to do next, i think i need a bit of direction - this is my first time making game content!

rick.

Benchboy, really liked your Beretta. Send the intermediate (as it stands right now) data by mail to Vaaish and me so we can upload it to SVN to have backup (and intermediate sources for the model and texture).

Greetings
Red Knight