XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Xenocide Logo

Fatal_Error

[quote name='Stewart' date='Jan 18 2003, 03:20 PM']Gangsta, you're pretty good with the graphics stuff, what are you using?
The flaming X is cool.  Can you do animation's with your software?  Here's what I'm thinking. . .

For the into we'll have something like "The Skunkworks Group" (I'm just making up a quick name for filler) "Presents"

Then based on your font the Xenocide has flaming letters, the flames go out and are replaced by smoke (once again based on your font) the smoke hangs in the air for a moment then is blown clear by a sudden gust.

The Intro plays and when it's done.  We show the Maveric/Fatal Error graphic.[/quote]
Well :/ thats about the limit of my artistic abilities is making fonts. I used The Gimp to make the fonts. I don't have the pixle pushing paint programs I used to have so I'm starting off with default fonts instead and then modify them using the smear button in gimp. I also sometimes resize letters with electric eyes. That flaming x comes from filling in the previous X with a orangy color and then using two diffrent smears on it.. one to add holes to the flames and another to smooth out the edges to make em more pointy. :) anyway I wouldn't be able to do what you described.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok admin/moderators u may delete all my post THAT HAVE IMAGES IN 'EM.
i just created this new page coz THIS thread loading is starting to get on my nerves. i have dsl but still have to wait till it loads!!!! unacceptable

anyways check this new url ... just fo my logos (suggestions in other words): [url="http://home.delfi.ee/~reismaa/xenocide/xenocide.html"]XENOCIDE LOGO DRAFTS[/url]

i think we can work something out with maveric... something better than we have so far at least ... i hope :D

Wow they all look better on a black background.. this forum is bad for the logos :) Anyway I think I'd like to keep your images on here because there have been a ton of people checking the thread out lately... everytime I'm on there 4 or 3 people looking at the logos. People are also less likely to follow your link so you might be missing out.

[quote name='gangsta' date='Jan 18 2003, 04:40 PM']Wow they all look better on a black background.. this forum is bad for the logos :)  Anyway I think I'd like to keep your images on here because there have been a ton of people checking the thread out lately...  everytime I'm on there 4 or 3 people looking at the logos.  People are also less likely to follow your link so you might be missing out.[/quote]
i think that people who matter will check the page behind my link. e.g. you , stew, red knight , maveric. so i dont really worry about that .... or should i?

[quote name='gangsta' date='Jan 18 2003, 04:44 PM']BTW, try making the letters on your last one as light as the previous xenocide letters and get rid of the Hostile Contact part.  We all went through the subtitle part and people can't decide on one so we're just going with one title.[/quote]
you've got it! :)

I know that I can't animate a single one of these. Again I feel I need to reiterate that the more complex it looks the more need there is to make sure you have a copy of the image with layers included. Also, remember that background images (in an animation) are a separate layer from other parts of the animation. So the sectoid for example can be added during the animation (however, I don't personally like that sectoid head, and it definately would not be able to be animated. It would have to be recreated, with body, and then lose its body in the animation.) What I really think is that we should start with the text for it. Mine so far have not had backgrounds at all, just a black space. I'm actually going to start uploading them with not even a color background, if you want to see how it looks on something just do the overlay yourself. I'm not tryin to be argumentative or anthying, I'm just a birt more simplistic I think that some of your visions for the title. I guess what I'm trying to make is the logo itself, the kind of thing that would be on the box (were there one), in the intro, and in the game...I don't think something as complex as the earth scene could work like that (but that would make a cool cover for a box....)

Guest stewart
Prenatal Error, just go to your personal control panel. You can change your setting such that all images are turned into links instead (Note: this affects smilies).

This has two benefits:
1) the page loads quicker
2) Gangsta posts are less annoying.

[quote name='Stewart' date='Jan 18 2003, 04:10 PM']Prenatal Error, just go to your personal control panel.  You can change your setting such that all images are turned into links instead (Note: this affects smilies).

This has two benefits:
1) the page loads quicker
2) Gangsta posts are less annoying.[/quote]
I'll just have to try harder in that case :devillaugh: muwhahahahaha

Guest stewart
Maverick: don't worry about the animation effects just do the best you can. I would not be surprised if the programmers aren't anywhere near done until 2004, you've got time and by then I would not be surprised if you and FE and others have a whole team around you by then. By the way are you okay working in a team?

Fatal Error: yeah G is right just have the Xenocide. I like how you brought up the brightness on the Sectoid =b

Could you make a test image for me, take that last one ditch the hostile content and the background X made out of red semi-circles. Also the Red lettering conflicts with the green glow. Could you try making the Xenocide Green.

I lied too, I actually kinda like just the eyes behind there, but still, try a little bit more effect on the font itself, as that will be what shows up in the game. All this is great and grand to talk about animating, but I can't animate any of it. They are already so complex that I would have to do Mia or 3d studo max and recreate the entire scene BEFORE animating (and I've been told it will take a couple years to get proficient with either of those programs), so I think they are all cool, my skills just fall far short here. Anyway, here are my two latest creations, again, with/without the smoke effect (I can get rid of the glow too so that the animation could be the metallic letters coming in and then glowing.)

[quote name='Stewart' date='Jan 18 2003, 05:27 PM']Maverick: don't worry about the animation effects just do the best you can.  I would not be surprised if the programmers aren't anywhere near done until 2004, you've got time and by then I would not be surprised if you and FE and others have a whole team around you by then.  By the way are you okay working in a team?

Fatal Error: yeah G is right just have the Xenocide.  I like how you brought up the brightness on the Sectoid =b

Could you make a test image for me, take that last one ditch the hostile content and the background X made out of red semi-circles.  Also the Red lettering conflicts with the green glow.  Could you try making the Xenocide Green.[/quote]
darn i love those semi-circles :) why do everybody wanna ditch 'em?
anyways could u plz gimmi the color code for green u had in mind (preferably hex code)

[quote name='Maverick' date='Jan 18 2003, 05:32 PM']I lied too, I actually kinda like just the eyes behind there, but still, try a little bit more effect on the font itself, as that will be what shows up in the game.  All this is great and grand to talk about animating, but I can't animate any of it.  They are already so complex that I would have to do Mia or 3d studo max and recreate the entire scene BEFORE animating (and I've been told it will take a couple years to get proficient with either of those programs), so I think they are all cool, my skills just fall far short here.  Anyway, here are my two latest creations, again, with/without the smoke effect (I can get rid of the glow too so that the animation could be the metallic letters coming in and then glowing.)[/quote]
well i think i can animate it in flash (any of 'em with a lil' help from fireworks) unless the text aint supposed to melt out of the background or bleed or whatever other kick donkey effect people may come up with :). though i think if given time i may even do those effects :D.

to maverick: could u send me the font and texture u used in your last logo? ill try to combine 'em, but i think we should ditch (such a popular word in this thread :D) the lightning effect. imo at least.

edit: WTF!!! a$$ = donkey in this forum? bummer!!! :huh:

Guest stewart
Thanks Maverick they look fandiddly tastic. As for not having the right software, if only there were sites on internet were you could get it :rolleyes:

Fatal Error: first I set the forum post per topic page down from 100 to 25 so that should help a lot. Second the a$$ thing was me, tee hee (stewart giggles like a school-girl)!!! As for green pick a lighter glowie one say R=0 G=192 B=0 let's 192 in hex is . . . . .C0 I believe.

As for the lighting effect I knew before I suggested you two working together that there might be a problem with that, but I want to see to be sure.

The blue fire one probably won't work but try it anyway. The blue radioactive one may only need the level of glow reduced, (also try a green one if you can). And try one with no glow at all.

The font is....Gotthard, if you don't have it, send me an email and I'll forward it to you. The texture is actually not a texture. Its a photoshop 7 filter with a custom reflection...so I can send it to you, but I don't know if I can explain it. (i'm sure you can do it, i just don't know how to explain the steps for it) If you have photoshop I can probably send you the filterpack. Oh, and the lightning is smoke (but I can kinda see how you'd think it was lightning) Lemme know what you need and where I can reach you.

Guest stewart
Oh Baby!!!!!!! Were in the home stretch!
Make the letters lighter green so they seem to be luminescent.
Reduce the amount of greeness on the sectoids face.

I'm really getting giddy.

Oh and make two versions one like I just said and one that looks like a TV image (you with the lines and stuff).

[quote name='Stewart' date='Jan 18 2003, 06:39 PM']Oh Baby!!!!!!!  Were in the home stretch!

I'm really getting giddy.[/quote]
the greeness on the sectoid face comes from the glow of xenocide title so im not sure i can do anything about that unless i ditch the glow

Guest stewart
Okay do the best you can. I edited my previous post, have a look.

I don't know if this will work but maybe if you make the sectoids skin more of a magenta color it might counteract the green (more likely it will look like $hit but give it a shot). Let us know.

[quote name='Stewart' date='Jan 18 2003, 06:39 PM']Oh Baby!!!!!!!  Were in the home stretch!

I'm really getting giddy.

Oh and make two versions one like I just said and one that looks like a TV image (you with the lines and stuff).[/quote]
ok these r the last images for today :(. local time is now 2:05AM gotta go to sleep :D

darn ... forgot to make the letters lighter green :(

Guest stewart
Son of bitch! That magenta trick really worked! (You did it right?)

Can you make the green even lighter, and add a surronding glow like Maverics letters.

If its not to m,uch work, could you put the red carves (from previous designs) on the back of you're current design? Maybe without the green glow. I still think there should something red in it or somtehing.

Although i would even settle for something less then what you have now, cause i LIKE it!

Good work, sorry for all the rest of you guys who have been trying something... But Fatal has done it!

Definitly Red looks better than green. The best one is the 7th one... (because you can notice the X in the background) try lighten a little the alien without losing that cool effect... What do ya think?

Greetings
Red Knight

actually in full screen the one with the subtitle hostile contact looks the best. I think hes making his screen way too low res. I was only able to view it at a low res mode full screen cause I'm in linux and have setup very low res modes to play arcade games with. I say keep that weird looking X in the background if you do it right. It didn't look good until the X covered the entire vertical space of my monitor.. Also we may concider using more than one font at diffrent bases. Like for the menu screen something else might work.

Guest stewart
Yeah, your right. I downloaded the image and it does look better than on the forum. FE never mind about the greenier and more glowy stuff.

Not until I downloaded it did I even see the glow.

Micah, fix that damn it, I was already and set to have anouther scrap with Gangsta and it turns out once again we'd have been arguing over nothing.

Although G I dont think it needs more stuff just to fill up screen though, Maybe just making the graphic bigger so that it goes to the edge of the screen will be good enough for you?

[quote name='Stewart' date='Jan 19 2003, 02:28 AM']Yeah, your right.  I downloaded the image and it does look better than on the forum.  FE never mind about the greenier and more glowy stuff.

Not until I downloaded it did I even see the glow.

Micah, fix that damn it, I was already and set to have anouther scrap with Gangsta and it turns out once again we'd have been arguing over nothing.

Although G I dont think it needs more stuff just to fill up screen though, Maybe just making the graphic bigger so that it goes to the edge of the screen will be good enough for you?[/quote]
I think he should use the one that says Hostile Contact minus the hostile contact and it will look great on full screen. one has to either make a program that switches the screen to make his full screen or he should make it bigger.. you could stretch it too I suppose programming wise but then you see all the jagged edges you wouldn't see if it was a high res screen to begin with. I'm just lucky cause I'm a xmame fan who has added extra screenmodes to X and was able to switch down and move the screen to be able to see how the thing looks when that X reaches the end of the monitor.

Fatal Error, I checked the web page in your signature and we are defenetly getting somewhere.... I really like the last logo you came with...

Maybe put the X as "bloody" slashes? ;)

can some windows programmer write a program that stretches his hostile contact one to full screen on windows so others can see it in full screen? I mean it really makes a diffrence on how you like the things he's posting.. before we asked him to make the Xenocide in a lighter red but at full screen it looks better with the dark red.

:angry: do u read my post or just look at the logos?!? this ofcooz does not go for all of u and not for ones all posts, but i clearly stated about the glow thingy that its in the background now and i made a SECTOID SANDWICH!! meaning starting from bottom layers GLOW -> SECTOID -> TEXT

dont worry i wont hold a grudge against u :D

as for the logo and intro overally:
cant do as much today i think coz have to do some calculations for my physics lab or else i wont get to do the exam which means that i wont get about 5 points this semester => very bad :cussing:
i also took the liberty to contact the author of the sectoid head and to my pleasant surprise i think he is willing to help us with the 3d (maye animation) :D

as for the size of the logo. the original size is 540*420 so its not sretched not here in this forum nor in any other place. i could probably do it a bit bigger ... say 1024*768 (thats also my resolution coz my monitor is already several years old though still flat :)) or maybe but just MAYBE even 1280*720. for bigger ones i would need a bigger original sectoid head me thinks

[quote name='Fatal_Error' date='Jan 19 2003, 02:59 AM']as for the size of the logo. the original size is 540*420 so its not sretched not here in this forum nor in any other place. i could probably do it a bit bigger ... say 1024*768 (thats also my resolution coz my monitor is already several years old though still flat :)) or maybe but just MAYBE even 1280*720. for bigger ones i would need a bigger original sectoid head me thinks[/quote]
# 512 x 384 - used by S.T.U.N. Runner
Modeline "512x240" 40.320 512 528 576 640 240 241 244 258 Doublescan
# 512 x 384 - used by Paperboy
Modeline "512x384" 40.320 512 528 576 640 384 385 388 402 Doublescan
# 512 x 402 - used by Narc
Modeline "512x402" 40.320 512 528 576 640 402 403 406 420 Doublescan
# 512 x 480 - used by Rampage
Modeline "512x480" 40.320 512 528 576 640 480 481 484 498 Doublescan

I viewed it with one of those modes :) like I said I like arcade games.. lowest mode I have is

# 240 x 192 - Mr. Do's Wild Ride
Modeline "240x192" 19.152 240 248 272 304 192 193 196 210 Doublescan

:) I think I need a better graphics card to get modes lower than that :) or maybe better monitor..

Guest stewart
Whereas arguments could be made for red lettering in that it is the color of blood and so on (well human blood at any rate but not nessessarily that of xeno-organisms), green or blue colored lettering suggests a more alien feel. FE if you do try red then make the sectoids skin a cyan color to counteract the red glow. Radioactive elements glow with a blue light using a green light hints at an alien power source. To counteract the green glow on the sectoid face he made the sectoid slightly Magenta in color (purple). When you look at the sectoids eyes, I think the purple works very well there. The red with green glow looks particular bad also.

As for the big X thing. In this particular graphic pleeeeeaaaase no. The design is simple, complete and powerful. Throwing a big bloody X in (because hey we've just gotta have a big X no matter what) will distroy the image. The strong horizontal component of the drawing, which makes it so interesting is highlighted by the close-up of the eyes, which is a very powerful image indeed and is the focus of the drawing. Throwing in big X destroys the rhythm, completeness of the drawing (making it seem like a patchwork), and detracts from the eyes as the focus of the drawing.

The nice thing about the eyes and them being the focus is that it work well with the HG Wells words the say "with cold envious eyes".

[quote name='Stewart' date='Jan 19 2003, 03:18 AM'](because hey we've just gotta have a big X no matter what)[/quote]
I really wasn't too fond of the X either until I saw it in perfect fullscreen as stated earlier. It works how I saw it. I like it so I guess we just have to agree to disagree :) Either way it can be added and removed via a layer when the thing is put together to see how it looks best. just a higher res would get rid of the jagged edges in the pic.

oh forgot to tell u that i accidentally stumbled across this color solution and i started to like it :D. if u have any problems with that then talk to the hand coz the face aint listening :LOL:

anyways heres my baby (take a wild guess why :D)

edit: oh and the united logo (font and font effect by maverick and the rest from me) will be ready when i get a few mo details from maverick so hang on fellow martyrs :) (not sure about the last word)

somebody asked for red letters?

so far i have noticed:
stew - likes blueish metallic looks
red knight - red stuff especially red text
gangsta - darn already forgot
etc.

so whats it gonna be?

edit: ok i know the stripes suck, sry didnt preview it @100% before uploading :(