XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Geoscape

Fatal_Error

i think this forum is a better place fo this topic than the general so i just created a new topic ...hope u dont mind :D

anyway here's the latest geoscape. actually im working on it still coz some thing still look out of place and/or not clear enuff

edit: though this is not final it is very close to what the final should look like so feel free to comment it

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Fatal_Error' date='Jan 26 2003, 09:57 PM']i think this forum is a better place fo this topic than the general so i just created a new topic ...hope u dont mind :D

anyway here's the latest geoscape. actually im working on it still coz some thing still look out of place and/or not clear enuff

edit: though this is not final it is very close to what the final should look like so feel free to comment it[/quote]
The best one... this one is just plain amazing.

Greetings
Red Knight

[b]answers and questions[/b]

to RK: can u include the same fonts in the game so that the target system wont need to install 'em dumb fonts separately?

to gangsta: gonna try most of the things u suggested though i dont think the red letters thing will work ...imo at least

:erm: i guess thats it for now...

am i to understand that the green curtain (where the it says "ufo detected") only appears when an ufo is spotted (or another (research,manufacture,buy,transfer?)) event is occuring?

If not... make it so! It would be kewl! :)

[quote name='LordT' date='Jan 27 2003, 10:47 AM']am i to understand that the green curtain (where the it says "ufo detected") only appears when an ufo is spotted (or another (research,manufacture,buy,transfer?)) event is occuring?

If not... make it so! It would be kewl! :)[/quote]
na-a! it stays there 24/7 showing all events (gonna attach srcoll buttons to it like masta gangsta suggested) and if there r no recent events then it stays mostly empty showing only the top 2 lines + time

[quote name='Fatal_Error' date='Jan 27 2003, 09:52 AM'][quote name='LordT' date='Jan 27 2003, 10:47 AM']am i to understand that the green curtain (where the it says "ufo detected") only appears when an ufo is spotted (or another (research,manufacture,buy,transfer?)) event is occuring?

na-a! it stays there 24/7 showing all events (gonna attach srcoll buttons to it like masta gangsta suggested) and if there r no recent events then it stays mostly empty showing only the top 2 lines + time[/quote]
I don't want to have a huge friggin' green blur there all the time!

[quote name='LordT' date='Jan 27 2003, 11:08 AM'][quote name='Fatal_Error' date='Jan 27 2003, 09:52 AM'][quote name='LordT' date='Jan 27 2003, 10:47 AM']am i to understand that the green curtain (where the it says "ufo detected") only appears when an ufo is spotted (or another (research,manufacture,buy,transfer?)) event is occuring?

na-a! it stays there 24/7 showing all events (gonna attach srcoll buttons to it like masta gangsta suggested) and if there r no recent events then it stays mostly empty showing only the top 2 lines + time[/quote]
I don't want to have a huge friggin' green blur there all the time![/quote]
actually i think the green friggin' blur is in your helmet ...or maybe even in your eyes? :rolleyes:

edit: WTF i dont see no green blur!?! ...oh it might be coz im wearing those kewl sunglazzez ...*takes off the sunglasses* ARGHHH!!! MY EYES!!! OMG IM BLIND!!! :wacko:

[quote name='Fatal_Error' date='Jan 27 2003, 10:19 AM'][quote name='LordT' date='Jan 27 2003, 11:08 AM'][quote name='Fatal_Error' date='Jan 27 2003, 09:52 AM'][quote name='LordT' date='Jan 27 2003, 10:47 AM']am i to understand that the green curtain (where the it says "ufo detected") only appears when an ufo is spotted (or another (research,manufacture,buy,transfer?)) event is occuring?

I don't want to have a huge friggin' green blur there all the time![/quote]
actually i think the green friggin' blur is in your helmet ...or maybe even in your eyes? :rolleyes:[/quote]
Tell me one thing then: Why not? It's a very classic ufo-like effect, having the green appear when something happens and then dissipate when nothing is going on!

[quote name='LordT' date='Jan 27 2003, 11:22 AM']Tell me one thing then: Why not? It's a very classic ufo-like effect, having the green appear when something happens and then dissipate when nothing is going on![/quote]
im not saying NOT!! :P

*sees a brick flying his way...CRASH!!*
uh uh it just hit me!! :idea: what if when there is no events occuring the screen will turn grey? ain' i a genius? :devilsmile:

that way there will be no empty space and the green does not annoy anyones eyes :D

You mean like turning the blur "off"?
Sith dont compromise... but i will give it a try

How 'bout having the "blur" look like its being electrified when it becomes green... no wait thats animation... RK, you didn't want those huh?

FE, if you have saved that in any graphic format (as in not document or sound format (don't know if you could save that in sound format...)) then the font doesn't need to be included. When you convert it to an image it flattens out and the letters become actual parts of the image. That way we don't need the font, or to have the font included.

[quote name='Maverick' date='Jan 27 2003, 06:03 PM']FE, if you have saved that in any graphic format (as in not document or sound format (don't know if you could save that in sound format...))  then the font doesn't need to be included.  When you convert it to an image it flattens out and the letters become actual parts of the image.  That way we don't need the font, or to have the font included.[/quote]
na-a!! i mean the menu font eg coz that is supposed to be dynamic ...in other words u wont have like ~100 different button images but merely one button image per interface and the menu text will be generated by the game ...or not? RK a lil' help here plz ...about the fonts!! :huh?:

Nice one,
Just a few remarks:
1. I like it when the "green blur" dissappears when there are no messages, although i'd like the option to scroll back to messages less than, let's say 12 hours, old.

2. The characters "time control" look a bit odd to me, don't know what it is, maybe the tiny white dots underneath them. Also: what are the 2 green and one red dot??

3. What would you mean with "Logistics"? Is that anything that's in transfer? Or the option the transfer stuff?

4. I don't think the "build new base button" is needed on the interface

I know i know, all minor details

[quote name='Fatal_Error' date='Jan 27 2003, 01:58 AM']to gangsta: gonna try most of the things u suggested though i dont think the red letters thing will work ...imo at least

:erm: i guess thats it for now...[/quote]
well :) I'm not talking about the letters on the green monitor. Instead the letters that say Time Control above the green meter. I'm very sure that will work. :) I have seen it work before.

[quote name='TiLT' date='Jan 27 2003, 02:58 AM']I hope the game pauses when a new UFO message pops up though. Would be a shame if you had to react incredibly fast to get to a UFO in time. :)[/quote]
The game will pause (optional/game play mode) in single player when a UFO is spotted. In multiplayer this is impossible to pause the game.

[quote name='Whatever' date='Jan 27 2003, 08:17 PM']Nice one,
Just a few remarks:
1. I like it when the "green blur" dissappears when there are no messages, although i'd like the option to scroll back to messages less than, let's say 12 hours, old.

2. The characters "time control" look a bit odd to me, don't know what it is, maybe the tiny white dots underneath them. Also: what are the 2 green and one red dot??

3. What would you mean with "Logistics"? Is that anything that's in transfer? Or the option the transfer stuff?

4. I don't think the "build new base button" is needed on the interface

I know i know, all minor details[/quote]
1. this has to be discussed WITH RK involved in the discussion coz he'll now whats good and whats not ...programming wise :)

2. u r looking at the wrong gui ... look @ the second one (to gangsta/stew: could u delete the first ones image?)

3. imo logistics is a more general word for things related to transfering and transporting. why use it? coz i think that transfering and merchandise arrival screens should be united into one mo informative panel/page/whuteva u call it...uh uh interface :D

4. well i think it fits better to geoscape panel than base panel ...its mo logical that way :)

and btw small things are just as important...

[quote name='Fatal_Error' date='Jan 27 2003, 08:21 PM']2. u r looking at the wrong gui ... look @ the second one (to gangsta/stew: could u delete the first ones image?)

3. imo logistics is a more general word for things related to transfering and transporting. why use it? coz i think that transfering and merchandise arrival screens should be united into one mo informative panel/page/whuteva u call it...uh uh interface :D

4. well i think it fits better to geoscape panel than base panel ...its mo logical that way :)

and btw small things are just as important...[/quote]
2. Sorry, my screen must have loaded very slow....
BTW liked the first one much better, except for the time control part. Especially liked the green screen with the diagonal corners.

3. I thought so, like the idea, cause sometimes there's no overview.

4. Why put a button on the main interface, that you're probably only going to use 8 times in the game, well at least i asume you defend your bases well!!

EDIT: Gangsta?? Could you maybe edit your posts instead reposting up to 3 or more times in 5 minutes? Or i'll have RSI from just scrolling trough your posts, also it will result in more <12....7> like pages, which i dislike....
Nothing personal though

[quote name='Smowza' date='Jan 27 2003, 09:29 PM']I have to say, i'm not a fan of the green... it looks like my old amstrads green display... it could just be the particular shade of green used. :link:[/quote]
Its supposed to look techie!

[quote name='LordT' date='Jan 27 2003, 03:31 PM'][quote name='Smowza' date='Jan 27 2003, 09:29 PM']I have to say, i'm not a fan of the green... it looks like my old amstrads green display... it could just be the particular shade of green used. :link:[/quote]
Its supposed to look techie![/quote]
Yeah 'Techie' but not 'cheesy'...and i did say i might look better with a different shade of green.... and i dont think you need the word ZOOM at the bottom... again.... not trying to butcher... just suggesting

[quote name='Whatever' date='Jan 27 2003, 02:29 PM']4. Why put a button on the main interface, that you're probably only going to use 8 times in the game, well at least i asume you defend your bases well!!

EDIT: Gangsta?? Could you maybe edit your posts instead reposting up to 3 or more times in 5 minutes? Or i'll have RSI from just scrolling trough your posts, also it will result in more <12....7> like pages, which i dislike....
Nothing personal though[/quote]
cause the unused space is more annoying ;)

as for me editing. :) depends how I feel like.. sometimes it not wise to edit cause there alot of people on the board and if someone responds before you edit they might miss the edit.

[quote name='Smowza' date='Jan 27 2003, 03:02 PM']How about something like this colour scheme?? :huh:[/quote]
wow :) snowza you posted the color scheme I suggested to Fatal. Except I'd Still have the time control green (increases in intensity) and letters time control would be in red.

[quote name='LordT' date='Jan 27 2003, 06:30 AM']You mean like turning the blur "off"?
Sith dont compromise... but i will give it a try

How 'bout having the "blur" look like its being electrified when it becomes green... no wait thats animation... RK, you didn't want those huh?[/quote]
I said that you have to choose, or a easy skinneable interface (talking about layout here), or a cool animated one with a fixed layout... It is overkill to add both (in development time) for such an small feature. But i prefer the cool animated one with fixed layout, and IMHO i know we can make it look professional (Fatal had demostrated that point)...

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='Fatal_Error' date='Jan 27 2003, 01:10 PM'][quote name='Maverick' date='Jan 27 2003, 06:03 PM']FE, if you have saved that in any graphic format (as in not document or sound format (don't know if you could save that in sound format...))  then the font doesn't need to be included.  When you convert it to an image it flattens out and the letters become actual parts of the image.  That way we don't need the font, or to have the font included.[/quote]
na-a!! i mean the menu font eg coz that is supposed to be dynamic ...in other words u wont have like ~100 different button images but merely one button image per interface and the menu text will be generated by the game ...or not? RK a lil' help here plz ...about the fonts!! :huh?:[/quote]
Sorry i missed all this discuttion but my ISP messed up with routers and i couldnt access only this page... :wacko:

About the letter, the only image generated fonts i think it could be the best because you dont have to worry to load a ton of images (and consume a lot of scarse video card memory) just for the textures. And i will respond to another post in here too, it is posible to write into a texture and use it from there, BUT i will have to rewrite the fonts system from the scratch. An Easy solution: you carry along the font .ttf, then if you cannot find it installed, just copy it to the corresponding directory (that will work in Windows, dont know how it is done in Linux) causing a temporary or permanent instalation of the font...

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='Smowza' date='Jan 27 2003, 06:02 PM']How about something like this colour scheme?? :huh:[/quote]
Theres only one problem with blue, your eyes cannot see as much blue (and distinguish details in it worse) maybe you like it in the short run, but it could be annoying if you are forced to read it all the time (it gets worse with high frequency detail like the letters). Just a biological fact, the biologist in here correct me if im wrong.

Greetings
Red Knight

There you go FE I knew we'd get something working :D

I was thinking about the green panel. When it's not doing anything like reporting on UFO's in the single player game it could randomly flash up data from your already researched list. That way it isn't going to be unused space. Heck there could be some random sayings splashed up, like "Stop picking your nose" or "I'm watching you" from time to time. Maybe some Confucius like saying. Man who walk through airport door sideways, going to Bangkok. Something with a bit of humour that makes you sit up and wonder if you saw what you think you saw. :D

Later on when you get the hyperwave detector it could flash up a small icon of the ship type.

[quote name='red knight' date='Jan 27 2003, 05:22 PM'][quote name='Smowza' date='Jan 27 2003, 06:02 PM']How about something like this colour scheme?? :huh:[/quote]
Theres only one problem with blue, your eyes cannot see as much blue (and distinguish details in it worse) maybe you like it in the short run, but it could be annoying if you are forced to read it all the time (it gets worse with high frequency detail like the letters). Just a biological fact, the biologist in here correct me if im wrong.

Greetings
Red Knight[/quote]
well just the background is blue.. The fonts on the display are cyan which has as much green in it as blue and is one of the easiest to see colors on a dark background.

[quote name='Deimos' date='Jan 27 2003, 07:26 PM']There you go FE I knew we'd get something working :D

I was thinking about the green panel. When it's not doing anything like reporting on UFO's in the single player game it could randomly flash up data from your already researched list. That way it isn't going to be unused space. Heck there could be some random sayings splashed up, like "Stop picking your nose" or "I'm watching you" from time to time. Maybe some Confucius like saying. Man who walk through airport door sideways, going to Bangkok. Something with a bit of humour that makes you sit up and wonder if you saw what you think you saw. :D

Later on when you get the hyperwave detector it could flash up a small icon of the ship type.[/quote]
well we could also have a random image show up there every once inawhile like a soldier on a video phone.

[quote name='Smowza' date='Jan 27 2003, 10:01 PM']changed it a bit... more green added to the blue... altered buttons, sum effects added...    If i were playing the game, i think this geoscape would suit me more than fine....  well i like it anyways :P[/quote]
hey smowza :) you should get together with Fatal and syncronize the effort. You still using the first version as a base although there some things in the second version I really like too.. especially the change in buttons.. I want to see how it looks too once the butons are rounded off on the top left edges.

Guest stewart
Looks great! I like the shinny buttons, and the world repeated inside the controls is definitiely a keeper (if it doesn't slow down the game). I realy like the lined oldfashion monitory look at the top, although I'd like the colors to be selectable.

*tears well in Mav's eyes* "No one saw that!" :angry:

That geoscape is beautiful....(though I still think the stars in the back are a bit over the top...they look too big to me, but then I've never been in space to see the stars...they might just be that big.)

I really like that metal look. Colors are negotiable but I'm in love with the metal buttons. :wub:

[quote name='Smowza' date='Jan 27 2003, 10:32 PM']So r u saying it's good or bad???  :blink:   

:chicken:  hehe it's a chicken!....get it link...  :link:[/quote]
I like it :) you used the color scheme I recomended to Fatal. However your version is based on Fatal's first version instead of his second one and there are some things I like better about Fatal's second version. Although I'm not sure which time control I like better in cyan. Anyway, Fatal has nicer button shapes in the second version and I suggested to him that he round of the top left edges of them.

[quote name='Maverick' date='Jan 27 2003, 10:45 PM']*tears well in Mav's eyes* "No one saw that!"  :angry:

That geoscape is beautiful....(though I still think the stars in the back are a bit over the top...they look too big to me, but then I've never been in space to see the stars...they might just be that big.)

I really like that metal look.  Colors are negotiable but I'm in love with the metal buttons.  :wub:[/quote]
I thought so too about the stars until I saw em in full screen.. it is amazing how often that makes a diffrence.