XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Geoscape

Fatal_Error

[quote name='LordT' date='Jan 31 2003, 09:51 AM'][quote name='red knight' date='Jan 30 2003, 09:42 PM'] NO, the artist department should check those because theres 2 different styles... so whats better than implement both and then decide... it was not for you...  :devillaugh:

Greetings
Red Knight[/quote]

Ok, felt like you were talking to me though...[quote] why dont you start doing the base layout as a proof [/qoute]
You can seem threatening at times though... (nothing personal) :P[/quote]
I know :P ... the "you" was a writing mistake it should have been the Graphics Department, i though you were part of it, but then after your reply realized that you werent part of it...

Greetings
Red Knight

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Deimos' date='Jan 31 2003, 06:03 AM']On the intergration issue. Is it not possible just to have the UI panel on top of an alpha channel then there can be a floating UI in all the screens?[/quote]
All transparencies and that could be managed without too much trouble... The point is: Most of the Interface is floating (in the base layout) and the base looks is solid. But as i said, lets just create a pic with both styles and resolve the issue of which looks better with a proof of concept picture.

Greetings
Red Knight

btw RK I Was talking to Fatal yesterday and he said something about having to use .bmp because you haven't got to implement .png yet. I think you should check out this.

[url="http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/"]http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/[/url]

[quote name='gangsta' date='Jan 31 2003, 04:28 PM']btw RK I Was talking to Fatal yesterday and he said something about having to use .bmp because you haven't got to implement .png yet.  I think you should check out this.

[url="http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/"]http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/[/url][/quote]
thats the one im going to use... and libjpeg for jpg files

Greetings
Red Knight

It's funny when inspiration hits. I was playing xcom last night and realised I was getting annoyed with flipping between screens to buy and sell stuff. So up came photoshop and I had a play with the idea of hving the base screen menu accessible from the geoscape screen. I came across a problem howver when the build facilities button would be pressed.
So I figured that there ought to be some way of seeing what is inside the base as well. Hence the base view on the screen.

I still think that there ought to be a seperate base view screen which would be accessed by clicking the right (larger) side of the Existing bases button. But the smaller left side should act asa popup screen ALA windows start menu and either roll out or fade in or something.

As you see there are two levels of the smalll baseview, the second wouldonly pop up automatically if you had more than 8 bases. To get the zoomd in view of the current base, click on one of the small bases which will roll the earth round and zoom the currently selected base into view giving the player an immediate (and cool) way of quickly seeing what is in each base.

I thought that all the menus on the geoscape should open like this, especially for multiplayer, where the speed advantage of not having owait for a new screen to open up would help wih the speed and smoothness of gameplay.

So instead of a seperate scren for say manufacturing, click or mouse over the left side, the pop up menu opens. Select a base and the manufacturing menu would zoom up from that base. Same goes for all the other stats and stuff on the menus.

Please bear in mind that this is a proof of concept and not how the base icons will actually look (they were taken from screnshots actually).

[quote name='LordT' date='Feb 3 2003, 01:55 PM']I've been thinking the same thing for a while and I do like the idea.
Though the base view should be a little bigger and... well thats just a proof-of-concept anyway :P[/quote]
Yeah that dsign was based on 1 centimeter squares, easier to set up to begin with :D

I don't think it's a bad idea... though I never got annoyed by flipping pages ;)

hmm, can you make the font of the menus in [b]bold[/b]?

[quote name='LordT' date='Feb 3 2003, 07:55 AM']I've been thinking the same thing for a while and I do like the idea.
Though the base view should be a little bigger and... well thats just a proof-of-concept anyway :P[/quote]
Well I'd make it into a window and then have a fullscreen button which would also put a panel to the side. I like the idea of working on more than one base at a time.

[quote name='gangsta' date='Feb 3 2003, 08:54 PM']oh yeah and those windows should be able to iconify to semi transparent icons on the left side.[/quote]
~like the minimized intercept icons?

ok i think were getting a bit outta line here now ...ain' we? makes me wonder why the h.ell (h.ell in a non harsh way :D) should we have base view at all if everything is accessible in geoscape .... for bigger facility images? deimos had indeed a good idea but lets not overdo it ok? ...oh and no hard feelings right? :D

[quote]then what if i forget them because they're too invisible and i go like "Where the **** is that ****** button?!"

ok Im rambling now good night! (wheres the tired smiley?!)[/quote]

LordT: well the transparancy thing probably is going a bit too far because doing it in real time is an expensive operation.. so forget about the transparancy. I was thinking of how Eterm on Enlightenment looked but that more of a cool hack :)

[quote]ok i think were getting a bit outta line here now ...ain' we? makes me wonder why the h.ell (h.ell in a non harsh way biggrin.gif) should we have base view at all if everything is accessible in geoscape .... for bigger facility images? deimos had indeed a good idea but lets not overdo it ok? ...oh and no hard feelings right? biggrin.gif[/quote]

Fatal: It isn't overdoing it. You forget that this is going to be a game with a multiplayer mode. Unlike the single playermode where the geoscape pauses when you look at the base in the multiplayer mode that doesn't happen. So you probably want to be able to keep an eye on the geoscape when you working in a base. This means that we probably need a window manager for the game.

Taking into account whathas been said, here is the first revsion.

Gangsta, in the bottom left is a minimised base, which would pop up to the same size as the Ankhara base. Similar to the way the interecpt windows line up. Maybe have the ability to drag and move the window to where you want them? Also added minimise, restore and full screen buttons.

The font is locked in PS for some reason so I'm not able to chage it to bold, not sure why, but it shouldn't be a problem to adjust it.

Also I'm not happy about the button menus, they seem too disconnected from the base window. Any suggestions? :)

[quote name='gangsta' date='Feb 3 2003, 07:30 PM']LordT: well the transparancy thing probably is going a bit too far because doing it in real time is an expensive operation.. so forget about the transparancy.  I was thinking of how Eterm on Enlightenment looked but that more of a cool hack :)[/quote]You are not right on this one, transparency (at least static transparency) not only is cheap, is almost free. You just encode in the 4th texture channel (Alpha) and if you choose the right value then you have transparency on the fly.

[quote name='gangsta' date='Feb 3 2003, 07:30 PM']Fatal: It isn't overdoing it.  You forget that this is going to be a game with a multiplayer mode.  Unlike the single playermode where the geoscape pauses  when you look at the base in the multiplayer mode that doesn't happen.   So you probably want to be able to keep an eye on the geoscape when you working in a base.  This means that we probably need a window manager for the game.[/quote]Even though you are pretty right, multiplayer is though to be more or like V1.2 or maybe V1.3 and GUI Stuff is the easiest one when all the others things are done and working right. So let concentrate on V1.0 (single player) and then we change the GUI when its time for multiplayer... and we cannot plan ahead in that because what we now think is a pretty good idea can become the worst feature ever when multiplayer times comes. I think the most important thing now is not only the data layout we are heavily working on, but the game logic that we eventually have to start soon.

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='Deimos' date='Feb 4 2003, 02:42 AM']Taking into account whathas been said, here is the first revsion.[/quote]
the original was in many ways better than this revision :) though i dont have time to explain right now ....gotta run to school :D

[quote name='red knight' date='Feb 3 2003, 06:59 PM']You are not right on this one, transparency (at least static transparency) not only is cheap, is almost free. You just encode in the 4th texture channel (Alpha) and if you choose the right value then you have transparency on the fly.[/quote]

Well I'm talking about transparency where you can see things moving through it like the geoscope rotating. From what I remeber about window managers and desktops that was a performance issue. Especially if you have more than one transparent window right under each other and alot of things are going on in the background. Most transparent looks thus are done when the window is placed and it isn't update but if it isn't an performance issue than we can do semi transparent icons on the left.

[quote]Even though you are pretty right, multiplayer is though to be more or like V1.2 or maybe V1.3 and GUI Stuff is the easiest one when all the others things are done and working right. So let concentrate on V1.0 (single player) and then we change the GUI when its time for multiplayer... and we cannot plan ahead in that because what we now think is a pretty good idea can become the worst feature ever when multiplayer times comes. I think the most important thing now is not only the data layout we are heavily working on, but the game logic that we eventually have to start soon.[/quote]

Well here is one place I disagree with you. While, we may be working on implementing the single player game first there is no reason to work on various multiplayer things. And Multiplayer might come out V1.1 or before depending on how long V1.0 takes to implement. There are alot of people more interested in teh multiplayer aspect of the game than the single. This is not saying that the single player game is getting the priority here but design wise I think we should implement things with multiplayer in mind. After all single player is multiplayer with one person logged in if you write the engine right. I suggest a control layer that logs people in even in single player. Anyway, from experience gained from desktops and other games we can safely say that what was suggested works since it has worked before. For single player mode hyou can just open up the base in full screen mode and pause the game. (I'd set that as an option. However, you should still work on the code to have it as a window since that would be the same thing as the interceptor windows. and you can iconify those too. So we really won't be doing anything thing we are not already doing. You already need a window manager as part of the engine for those interceptor screen. And it is smart to merge interfaces so you have one common style.

[quote name='Deimos' date='Feb 3 2003, 06:42 PM']Taking into account whathas been said, here is the first revsion.

Gangsta, in the bottom left is a minimised base, which would pop up to the same size as the Ankhara base. Similar to the way the interecpt windows line up. Maybe have the ability to drag and move the window to where you want them? Also added minimise, restore and full screen buttons.

The font is locked in PS for some reason so I'm not able to chage it to bold, not sure why, but it shouldn't be a problem to adjust it.

Also I'm not happy about the button menus, they seem too disconnected from the base window. Any suggestions? :)[/quote]
Well you should just make it as a window that has popup menu. on the title bar there will be widgets like fullscreen, iconify. In full screen mode what will happen is that the window will disapear and the buttons on the geoscape will change to reflect what you can do in a base.. the globe will be replaced with the base.

first thing in my mind right now: "flibberty gibbet this! i dont wanna another full-o-windows application!" :D

ok dont take me too seriously ... hmmm .... maybe u should :) but imo this just destroys the original game :(. i mean multiplayer or not u dont have to see geoscape 24/7 ...that would be like a challenge in multiplayer games to move your arse or get your arse kicked :D. i think deimos had an excelent idea but lets not overpush it ok? it is good only that far...

...oh and btw i do not find a game with s.hit load of windows very attractive (maybe just me :() ... well ok ill shut up now ...that was all i had to say :uh:

[quote name='Fatal_Error' date='Feb 4 2003, 04:53 PM']...oh and btw i do not find a game with s.hit load of windows very attractive (maybe just me :() ... well ok ill shut up now ...that was all i had to say  :uh:[/quote]
just two or three wouldn't hurt would they? and the base view wont be up 24/7 either

you don't have to open up a shitload of windows. And like I said by default, for one player mode you can have the base pop up in fullscreen mode. I think Deimos current screenshot is 1337 and looks attractive. In multiplayer the geoscope is more important than in single player mode. Besides, you can already have alot of interceptor windows open in the original x-com. So we might as well come up with a standard interface since as stated before the game will already have a window manager build in with iconification. I think deimos current version is too confusing for the base window. Base window should look more like an interceptor window would but should have popup menus. Anyway in multiplayer mode the geoscope is alive at all times. So whenever a battlescape is active there will be a screen change widget somewhere so the player can switch back and forth. Also the Time Control would be replaced with a chat control. probably just a same shaped interface with few icons in it to open a chat window and such.

[quote name='gangsta' date='Feb 4 2003, 11:42 AM']Well I'm talking about transparency where you can see things moving through it like the geoscope rotating.  From what I remeber about window managers and desktops that was a performance issue.  Especially if you have more than one transparent window right under each other and alot of things are going on in the background.  Most transparent looks thus are done when the window is placed and it isn't update  but if it isn't an performance issue than we can do semi transparent icons on the left.[/quote]
As i had said, OpenGL accelerated cards are not like old cards... that kind of static transparence is FREE (With Capitals).

[quote name='gangsta' date='Feb 4 2003, 11:42 AM']There are alot of people more interested in teh multiplayer aspect of the game than the single.  This is not saying that the single player game is getting the priority here but design wise I think we should implement things with multiplayer in mind.  After all single player is multiplayer with one person logged in if you write the engine right.[/quote]But i do not disagree with that... provided that we finish the V1.0 without too much multiplayer hacks... Lets face it... we dont know if it will work either, we have to test gameplay yet. So as far as i can see for an stable codebase we should target something known. And i repeat, it doesnt means that we are not gonna design with multiplayer in mind.

[quote name='gangsta' date='Feb 4 2003, 11:42 AM']I suggest a control layer that logs people in even in single player.  Anyway, from experience gained from desktops and other games we can safely say that what was suggested works since it has worked before.  [/quote]I grant you that, but you had to grant me that it is a pain in the a... make it work.

[quote name='gangsta' date='Feb 4 2003, 11:42 AM']You already need a window manager as part of the engine for those interceptor screen.  And it is smart to merge interfaces so you have one common style.[/quote]I had already implement it (a simple one but at least until now it is working ok) not with iconifying but thats pretty easy.

To Fatal: Im with you... i dont like interfaces full of windows... In fact in the GUI Course i had taken the last year, they show what a Good Interface should looks like and they show Black And White (almost non interface at all :) ) and What Interfaces shouldnt look like, Microsoft Word was the chosen one with all their windows, toolkits, etc. So thats my vote...

Greetings
Red Knight

I think the graphical design should be done for both since who knows if we will have the same artists active later on.

as for the interceptor screen if that works you can use the same stuff for the Base window and making it fullscreen with the fullscreen button is as hard as adding a fullscreen mode to begin with. :) Anyway I posted that look with the base window at lasthope and everyone loved it.

[quote name='gangsta' date='Feb 5 2003, 04:09 AM']I think the graphical design should be done for both since who knows if we will have the same artists active later on.

as for the interceptor screen if that works you can use the same stuff for the Base window and making it fullscreen with the fullscreen button is as hard as adding a fullscreen mode to begin with. :)  Anyway I posted that look with the base window at lasthope and everyone loved it.[/quote]
Which one?
You didnt post the other??? Hey thats unfair... :P :D

Greetings
Red Knight

well :) why not post the alternative there and explain it. Was just saying that everyone thought the last image was cool. Really didn't mention the fact that nobody complained about there being a base window. But I posted a link if they wanna follow to this discussion. Personally I like how it looks with a base window and just would like the gui to get fixed. A chat window in multiplayer would be really neat and hey all this doesn't have to be fully working at first either just the art should be there. :) I think the one deimos posted is the best one yet and only improvent is gui wise with the window.

Also this is the interceptor window.

Please don't moan about the size of the window popups. Save the image to your drive, change the res to 800x600 and view it as the game would in fullscreen or the windows will look too small. :D Also if they are any bigger, you wouldn't be able to fit any more than 4 interceptor windows on screen at once.

The minimise window is basically going to be similar to xcom, an icon with a number in the top corner of the screen.

I've moved the balance to be visible at all times and modified the time panel so that the time control has some meaning. I just prefer to know exactly how fast the time is going by. (I am god in the game so I control the passage of time :devillaugh: ) I know there are those that want to get rid of the time speed controls, but I really feel lost without knowing how fast the time is moving.

[quote name='Deimos' date='Feb 5 2003, 08:16 AM']Also this is the interceptor window.

Please don't moan about the size of the window popups. Save the image to your drive, change the res to 800x600 and view it as the game would in fullscreen or the windows will look too small. :D Also if they are any bigger, you wouldn't be able to fit any more than 4 interceptor windows on screen at once.

The minimise window is basically going to be similar to xcom, an icon with a number in the top corner of the screen.

I've moved the balance to be visible at all times and modified the time panel so that the time control has some meaning. I just prefer to know exactly how fast the time is going by. (I am god in the game so I control the passage of time  :devillaugh: ) I know there are those that want to get rid of the time speed controls, but I really feel lost without knowing how fast the time is moving.[/quote]
I like this one... But why you dont try a background for the black parts of the interface (between buttons for ex? ), that was what i was taking about in another post in this thread.

For the last, i had notice that a smaller base really lose a lot of base detail... not to mention that the small base selection layout is ininteligible...

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='gangsta' date='Feb 5 2003, 09:09 AM']I think the graphical design should be done for both since who knows if we will have the same artists active later on.[/quote]
well i can tell u that ill be active till the end of my days or until further notice :D *lil' joke* ok really i think i will be available at least 2 years from now coz thats the least it takes me to finish my studies and who knows maybe ill cotinue my studies to gain the dagree that comes after bachelor or whateva its called ....just too lazy to open dict right now :)

NB! yeah i know my english sux and NB is prolly PS in english :D

Masters is typically after bachelors; PH.D. if you feel highly motivated. (and want to spend a total of like 9 years in school :whatwhat: )

Eventually artists are going to have centralized coordination and have the a copy of the original files stored somewhere that the whole art team has access (at least they should). That way, if someone disappears inexplicably you don't lose their work. (for images any format that saves layers would be acceptable, for 3d work it would have to be in whatever format you can manage; we'll cross that bridge when we get there -- and choose standardized file types for each category.)

That's my idea at least.

[quote name='gangsta' date='Feb 5 2003, 07:09 AM']I think the graphical design should be done for both since who knows if we will have the same artists active later on.[/quote]
Hey I'm here till the project is finished. :wave:
I don't quit on a project half way through, thats unfinished buisness and just not professional. :D

[quote name='Maverick' date='Feb 5 2003, 02:52 PM']Eventually artists are going to have centralized coordination and have the a copy of the original files stored somewhere that the whole art team has access (at least they should).  That way, if someone disappears inexplicably you don't lose their work.  (for images any format that saves layers would be acceptable, for 3d work it would have to be in whatever format you can manage; we'll cross that bridge when we get there -- and choose standardized file types for each category.)

That's my idea at least.[/quote]
I was talking to Fatal last night about getting everything centralised, its good to see that we (the art dept) are heading this way. I think we should get a thread started to sort this out like the one Xcen has for the music dept.

I say we use Photoshop's .psd for the art format as it's easily converted across platforms and supports quite a bit of supplimental information as standard. (No offence to those who use other formats) I think for the 3d stuff, either whatever format the models that the lasthope team have or .3ds BTW to anyone who is making 3d stuff there is a prog called Milkshape which is a modelling prog primarily for FPS games like Halflife and other FPS's. Its fully set up for skeletal animation and the skinning is a dream to use, oh and it's was easier to use than 3dsmax or blender. [url="http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/"]http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/[/url]

As for where to store the files which currently stack in at about 3-4mb a piece, I'm not sure but I agree wholeheartedly that it should be centralised so everyone who wants to access it can. Can anyone suggest a place? I don't know whether Micah wants or could handle the traffic on the site.

Also I think we (the art dept) should have a regualr schedule for posting and updating work with a cutoff time for new work, like the programmers are doing.

My suggestion is to keep things focussed so that everybody knows what is happening we use the same day and time as the programmers Sunday 1700 GMT or 1000MST is the cutoff period for updated work. Then allow till Monday 1000MST for suggestions, fixes and so on before starting again.

Maybe the moderators can start a couple of new threads, one for design work updates and one for music and sound as its getting a bit confusing the way it is at the moment with threads all piled under the same header. :)

Guest stewart
Sorry, I've been abscent from this thread for a while.

1 ) First, those last images are simply beautiful. The night-day transition is fan-diddly-tastic!

2 ) I hope as the drawings suggested were are moving to a toggle globe/flat map view of the earth.

3 ) I remeber someone did a base display that showed realistic rock and dirt; what happend to that? I liked it better that the dull grey things I'm seeing.

Art Dept. glad to see you guys taking initiative to full organize. Please brainstorm and draught documents and guidelines and post them in the [color="red"]appropriate[/color] forum. I'd like to see the other departments do the same. Each others documents can be read over for ideas and inspiration. Plus for new members they can be directed to them to help them get a grounding in the project organization.

My brother has just sent me this little prog. I'm impressed. He's working on making it better with rollout menus. I said he should join up as a member and get involved, but he's not sure.

Ooops I forgot to put what it does.
It shows a pic of the geo with the menus popping out and the little lights shining on mouse over. ATM the only the exsisting base button and inercept buttons work, but that's because we (the art team) haven't got the rest of the pop ups and screens done. :D

wow deimos you're getting great at this. Anyway, I still think the base thing should be a window like the intercept. Good to have common interfaces. also I like the second one but I don't like that you changed the button style. I miss the rounded style of the other one. As for the interceptor window we'll have to make it diffrent enough from the original as to not piss anybody off. but good concept art!

[quote name='gangsta' date='Feb 5 2003, 06:01 PM']wow deimos you're getting great at this.  Anyway, I still think the base thing should be a window like the intercept.  Good to have common interfaces.  also I like the second one but I don't like that you changed the button style.  I miss the rounded style of the other one.  As for the interceptor window we'll have to make it diffrent enough from the original as to not piss anybody off.  but good concept art![/quote]
Thanks, It isn't much of a problem to change things around as all the source material is in seperate layers now so changing things to work on them isn't going to take that much :)

The second pic didn't look right with the rounded buttons, but if the geo is to be a seperate popup window ala Interceptor window it'll be chaged back.

I did the interceptor window like that just for sizing example. I'm working on having the radar as a 3d style perspective and integrating the interceptor damage scale into it with all sorts of attack data scrolling between the buttons. Gonna look cool.

Oh I've noticed that certain strong words are allowed through, hmm tests arse :D

[quote name='Deimos' date='Feb 5 2003, 10:18 AM'][quote name='Maverick' date='Feb 5 2003, 02:52 PM']Eventually artists are going to have centralized coordination and have the a copy of the original files stored somewhere that the whole art team has access (at least they should).  That way, if someone disappears inexplicably you don't lose their work.  (for images any format that saves layers would be acceptable, for 3d work it would have to be in whatever format you can manage; we'll cross that bridge when we get there -- and choose standardized file types for each category.)

That's my idea at least.[/quote]
I was talking to Fatal last night about getting everything centralised, its good to see that we (the art dept) are heading this way. I think we should get a thread started to sort this out like the one Xcen has for the music dept.

I say we use Photoshop's .psd for the art format as it's easily converted across platforms and supports quite a bit of supplimental information as standard. (No offence to those who use other formats) I think for the 3d stuff, either whatever format the models that the lasthope team have or .3ds BTW to anyone who is making 3d stuff there is a prog called Milkshape which is a modelling prog primarily for FPS games like Halflife and other FPS's. Its fully set up for skeletal animation and the skinning is a dream to use, oh and it's was easier to use than 3dsmax or blender. [url="http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/"]http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/[/url]

As for where to store the files which currently stack in at about 3-4mb a piece, I'm not sure but I agree wholeheartedly that it should be centralised so everyone who wants to access it can. Can anyone suggest a place? I don't know whether Micah wants or could handle the traffic on the site.

Also I think we (the art dept) should have a regualr schedule for posting and updating work with a cutoff time for new work, like the programmers are doing.

My suggestion is to keep things focussed so that everybody knows what is happening we use the same day and time as the programmers Sunday 1700 GMT or 1000MST is the cutoff period for updated work. Then allow till Monday 1000MST for suggestions, fixes and so on before starting again.

Maybe the moderators can start a couple of new threads, one for design work updates and one for music and sound as its getting a bit confusing the way it is at the moment with threads all piled under the same header. :)[/quote]
There is one major problem with the .psd format and that is that it is a propriatary format. Because of this The Gimp can load .psd but not save them. Adobe is not a nice company and was responsible for sending someone from another country to jail when they visited the US because they violated the DMCA even though in their country reverse engineering was legal. Adobe has also done other dirty little things like make killustrator change their name because it had illustrator in it even though that is a generic name. Eitherway I think in the game directory things will be saved in .png format. anyway you guys should have CVS access on sourceforge. think you probably can store it there. maybe we can create another module for storage for you guys there. All that needs to be shown on this forum is the occasional jpeg of what's going on for people to comment. I think Fatal, You and Maverik should all be on the core art team.

Guest stewart
Whatever happened to those images on page 2 which show these magellenic cloud behind the earth. I like 'em, they give the image depth and somehow highlight the earth better.