Space Skybox

guyver6

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmmm "simulation" shows that it will be alright... just enough eye candy... plus dont forget there will be a colorful HUD full of shiny buttons and timers :D

I like how the red nebula is looking but lets tone the blue one down to about 15 or 20% of it's intensity so we aren't too gaudy with different nebula's on different panels.

[url="http://www.diardsoftware.com/"]http://www.diardsoftware.com/[/url] <--- Universe image creator

At least it could give you some ideas...
And, that red nebula rulez! :rock:

:master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master:
--> [url="http://www.diardsoftware.com/2004/contests/december/Dayandnight3.htm"]http://www.diardsoftware.com/2004/contests...ayandnight3.htm[/url] <--
:master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master::master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: Edited by kafros

I thought you new that little piece of software. It is the most popular one! And it is very good indeed ;)
But, sometimes, googling a bit for "nebula photoshop (video) tutorials" isn't bad at all... if you get my point :P

Keep up the good work people! :D

A good skybox isn't easy to create, certainly because it's a cube and you may not see the corners.

Nebulas would be great! but as red knight said, tone them down. Opacity 10% or something similar. We don't see them that clear from Hubble as well.

Then, a moving skybox would be great! BUT! don't misunderstand what I mean. A skybox like the universe moves pretty slow. So slow it's difficult to notice. If you guys want to do all the rotations of our solar system, there's still a lot to code (as far as I know).

Anyways, to the point. Perfect realism isn't priority, but it shure adds some value to Xenocide.
* As for example, are we going to make the cities glow over night like in that screenshot?
* A rotating skybox (very slow)?
* A recognisable width of atmosphere?
* Tiny clouds with very small opacity?

so far, I have to admit, your work is stunning!! :D

EDIT: typos Edited by ATeX

acturly, the rotation would be really fast, because when you see Earth standing still, everything else is rotating. So it would rotate the same speed as Earth.

that's not what I meant. If u stand still in the universe and you would look at our solar system. There would be a heck of rotations, whereas the Earth around its axe the fastest, around the sun slower, around whatever even slower etc etc. The bigger you go, the slower the movement and vice versa. Think about it. That goes with everything around us!

thats not what i ment. You are rotating arround earth, in a fixed possition. Earth is rotating, so you are also rotating. This means that the stars SEEM to rotate, even though you are standing still. Like driving a car. get it?

[quote name='mikker' date='Dec 31 2004, 03:23 PM']i see what you mean, but that itchy witsy movement of the stars will DRAWN in the haze rotation that already is.
[right][post="105417"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

If they would all be at the same speed you get that rotation like that 3d movement chair at NASA. It would make you a bit sea sick idd. but it's not at the same speed. It differs even so much that maybe it's not worth it implementing it because nobody would notice.

As I said before:
[quote]Anyways, to the point. Perfect realism isn't priority, but it shure adds some value to Xenocide.
* As for example, are we going to make the cities glow over night like in that screenshot?
* A rotating skybox (very slow)?
* A recognisable width of atmosphere?
* Tiny clouds with very small opacity?[/quote]

I don't have a problem with adding the city lights on the condition that it doesn't interfere with the usability.

Clouds are a nono. they will interfere with the view of the underlying terrain which will only end up annoying users when they try to get information from the globe.

Again, Shinzin please tone down the nebula's to 20% at least on that blue one as it is far too intense. Edited by Vaaish

Bleh I forgot where i put the PSD file of the "sky3" so i had to hand edit it... i also added some bright stars...

hope this is what you were looking for

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Dec 31 2004, 05:38 PM']Clouds are a nono.
[right][post="105420"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

There is something in this cruel world called "VIDEO OPTIONS"! Let the user choose!
Who knows, I may want to just stand and STARE AT THE BEAUTIFUL GLOBE! (with the nebula at the background :rolleyes: )! :D Edited by kafros

Henry ford once said that you may have any color car so long as it is black. :) maybe in 1.0+ we can revisit the issue of clouds but I don't see them adding to the gameplay any.

here is what I meant by the intesity of the blue nebula. Edited by Vaaish

I could try to make one for you, if you want...
I'm installing Photoshop CS right now

Edit 1: [url="http://www.solarvoyager.com/tutorials.asp"]http://www.solarvoyager.com/tutorials.asp[/url] <-- Pure eye-candies! Edited by kafros

[quote name='kafros' date='Dec 31 2004, 03:38 PM']Hmm, that nebula doesn't look good at all...
It is a "darkened-bright" one! Bad combination You should make one with dark purple-blue colour and then drop the opacity to 60-70%
[right][post="105464"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

it's only intended to show the intensity I was looking for in the nebula not final colors. It was faster for me to just edit that one and put it in than to try to type up a description.

ideally Shinzon or whoever makes the nebula can generate one at that intensity instead of trying to edit this one to match.

Is this what you're looking for?

i also made a little poster out of the sky box...

better, drop the nebula down to half of that and we should be good to go... keep the red one as itis. I want it to be the primary and these others more subtle.

Guest Azrael
[quote name='Shinzon' date='Dec 31 2004, 05:10 PM']Is this what you're looking for?

[right][post="105487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Looking good... but it's XENO[b]C[/b]IDE :)

[quote name='Azrael' date='Jan 1 2005, 02:42 AM'][quote name='Shinzon' date='Dec 31 2004, 05:10 PM']Is this what you're looking for?

[right][post="105487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Looking good... but it's XENO[b]C[/b]IDE :)
[right][post="105516"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
plus, I'm not sure some transistor schematics are sufficient to indicate a high-tech environment :) . And they don't really fit in with the subject, I mean, what do transistors have to do with a globe? :P
(don't let this put you down though, other than the nitpicking I quite like it. Ok, the nebula -especially the top part- might be done in a slightly more subdued color, but overall it's pretty nice)

Those are all incredible images, but they give me a "sheened metal look" when i see them. they look really cool, but just to...... shiny and liquidy like. i don't really know how to describe it

Thanks kafros that site had some really good tips

i dimmed the nebula a bit and added sevral things :P lets see if you can spot them:P

and also edited the red nebula as well :D

hope everyone likes the new changes

and thanks againg for those link kafros =b

oh and forgot happy new year everyone :beer: Edited by Shinzon

HAPPY NEW YEAR PEOPLE!!! Many happy returns!! ^_^

[quote name='Shinzon' date='Jan 1 2005, 08:19 AM']and thanks againg for those link kafros  =b[/quote]

I'm happy you found them useful pal :)

[quote]i dimmed the nebula a bit and added sevral things :P lets see if you can spot them:P
and also edited the red nebula as well :D[/quote]

Oook, the red one has many darker spots around the starfield (mostly the lower part), we have a cute lil blue nebula on the upper-left, and 3 WONDERFUL lens flare!! ^_^ =b

Blue nebula : The total conversion, sounds like a movie ^_^. It seems you have rotated it a bit... many more little blue ones, that darker starfield is much calmer, and there is a wonderful green color tone on the nebula, and of course the lens flares =b

Much better and neat pal! You could improve the flares a bit, in order to look like supernova explosions (little blobs of thick light). Keep up the good work! :wave: Edited by kafros

Shinzon, the blue one looks really nice as does the red one. I really like the very subtle blueish "gasses" that are in the backgrouns of all of them now. This should take care of two of the panels we need, 2 of the others should only have the very subtle gasses and the remaining 2 should be the original starfield with no gasses and nebula.

Keep up the great work!

Happy new year. Edited by Vaaish

ok im done i couldnt resist adding a small dim nebula in the firts one though... (Sky7) Im going to rename them approporietly when everything is to everyone's likings

wow... u got all of them.... O.o :Poke:

[quote name='kafros' date='Jan 1 2005, 09:33 PM']I've uploaded a nice Earth Texture. It's fairly big (4096X2048)
[right][post="105609"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
No need Kafros, we have texture already prepared. Check out [url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/Earth/source/"]here[/url]. Made from 32768x16384 texture.

Guyver

Ok uploaded the ziped files to the issue tracker... do i have to set it as finished or something? :huh:

looks nice. Especially the blue one. The orange one is too cathing i think. It should be a bit more....annonamous.

Else it looks kewl.

@SupSuper: use Print Screen key to get screenshots inside Xenocide :)

@mikker: that blocky north pole isn't that visible when we project that texture onto icosahedron, check out the textures in prepared directory on ftp. Also NASA it the only one source of free earth textures (they were prepared from NASA source for Celestia by Harald Schmidt).

Guyver Edited by guyver6

:Cry: they grow up so fast :Cry:

makes me proud...

LOL

yeah i agree the red nebula does seem a bit in your face...

should i tone it down? or is ok? as the main eyecandy thing? Edited by Shinzon

*is imediately mesmorized by screnshots...*
*snaps out of mesmorization*
wow, those are incredible. Keep up the good work you guys, if you keep this coming out, then we can post pictures in CTD to inspire people to work and put it onto screenshots for the site, and make people who havne't joined want to! (maybe, we should put together an add with screenshots and sample CTDs in to make people want to join up and help)

[quote name='guyver6' date='Jan 2 2005, 10:03 PM']@SupSuper: use Print Screen key to get screenshots inside Xenocide :)
[right][post="105839"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]i've tried but it doesn't work, so i use HyperSnap. or is there something i'm missing?

You're right, Sup, prnt-screen doesn't work for me, either. I used Fraps instead, and got these shots. The first two are to further demonstrate the red nebulae. Good job Shinzon! :Leek: The second are to show that the poles turn out very nicely. By the way, this is all with the OpenGL. The DX9 rendering on my geforce4 ti 4400 doesn't look too good, yet. Within Fraps, it said Xenocide was running at 214fps :)