XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Space Skybox

guyver6

Really strange, cuz I do all my screen shots with prnt-screen within xenocide (push that button few times in xenocide and then go to xenocidegame/system(_d) dir and see if there are some screenshots).

I'll try to fix it if it's not working (cuz it should work)

Guyver

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think there will be a problem with the red nebula. We have six sides to the skybox and it's only on one of them so the user won't be staring it it all the time as they move around.

[quote name='guyver6' date='Jan 3 2005, 04:12 AM']Really strange, cuz I do all my screen shots with prnt-screen within xenocide (push that button few times in xenocide and then go to xenocidegame/system(_d) dir and see if there are some screenshots).

Guyver[right][post="105933"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]Ahah! found them, thanks.
[quote name='j'ordos' date='Jan 3 2005, 09:00 AM']IMHO the red nebula is still a little too bright, the contrast between the globe and the nebula is very sharp and makes it look like the globe is not really part of the scene, especially in that first pic.
[right][post="105950"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
The red nebulae is mostly only visible when you're looking at Australia and the Pacific Ocean, which probably will not be viewed as often as, say, Europe. I think it adds a nice flavor to the otherwise bland ocean.

[quote name='Qonfused' date='Jan 4 2005, 10:33 AM']will the skybox be rotating with the sun?
[right][post="106030"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I think it would be more realistic but at the same probably very disturbing to the user as you constantly get those moving starts in the background (especially at higher game speeds).
So it's a question of playability vs. realism...

Rincewind

[quote name='rincewind' date='Jan 5 2005, 04:06 PM'][quote name='Qonfused' date='Jan 4 2005, 10:33 AM']will the skybox be rotating with the sun?
[right][post="106030"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I think it would be more realistic but at the same probably very disturbing to the user as you constantly get those moving starts in the background (especially at higher game speeds).
So it's a question of playability vs. realism...

Rincewind
[right][post="106130"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

thats what i've been trying to say through the whole post :Brickwall:

[quote name='guyver6' date='Jan 3 2005, 04:12 AM']Really strange, cuz I do all my screen shots with prnt-screen within xenocide (push that button few times in xenocide and then go to xenocidegame/system(_d) dir and see if there are some screenshots).

Guyver
[right][post="105933"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Tested it yesterday. It is worked as described - no need to fix.

[quote name='mikker' date='Jan 5 2005, 04:11 PM']thats what i've been trying to say through the whole post  :Brickwall:
[right][post="106131"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Hehe :D.

I thought that you're fighting for static background (no skybox, background looks the same no matter how you rotate globe), while I wanted to have movable background (moves when you rotate Earth), I didn't want rotating stars like in reality :).

Guyver

i dont think the stars rotate they stay stanionary... it only appears that they are rotating since we are rotating WITH the earth... and plus were on a tilt, thye guys below us are "upside down" to our current prespective...

Won't the only movement able to be detected in a stationary view of the sky be that due to the revolution of the earth around the sun? I also don't think this would be noticeable enough to make a real difference to the user, seems pretty unnecessary when we have this smooth-lookin skybox.

Everything looks great, this will really show how graphics have progressed since the original XCom :banana:

you must remember that Earth is spinning arround itself 24 hours a day. So, because Earth looks stationary to you, everything else will move really really fast.

I like the current one better.

The blue nebula is wonderful, but the orange one is indeed VERY bright... I don't really like it when I see it in the game (although the texture is wonderful).

And, stationary stars aren't realistic! Either you see the Earth moving, or the stars! Stationary Earth and stationary stars is a logic-killer :OhBrother:

For gameplay and possible player disorientation I beleive the stars are to be stationary. The player will have too much else on his mind to worry abot the scientific accuracies of moving stars.

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Jan 15 2005, 03:22 PM']For gameplay and possible player disorientation I beleive the stars are to be stationary. The player will have too much else on his mind to worry abot the scientific accuracies of moving stars.
[right][post="107323"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
My word. :beer: If enough people actually complain when we have a playable version we can always add an option in the graphics-settings to turn on rotating starts.

Rincewind

[quote name='kafros' date='Jan 15 2005, 09:18 AM']The blue nebula is wonderful, but the orange one is indeed VERY bright... I don't really like it when I see it in the game (although the texture is wonderful).[/quote]
I do too see it a little too bright.

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='blehm' date='Jan 15 2005, 06:52 PM']...and people will stare at it instead of teh geoscape
[right][post="107346"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
That's my point. Too cathy...

And, about realism... An example (maybe not the right one, but at least a try):
In the game, we COULD have VAST maps. That means that moving your soldiers would take much time. Then, we wouldn't make our soldiers run at a rate of 30 m/s just because it would fit the gameplay!

And, we will try to have a fairly accurate physics model, right? We should either try to be as accurate as we can in most parts, or we will just make a nice looking game with a "cool" gameplay.

I could be "wrong", dunno... but just thinking of that "stationary starts-stationary earth" model makes me cry :Tantrum:

[quote name='kafros' date='Jan 15 2005, 04:34 PM']I could be "wrong", dunno... but just thinking of that "stationary starts-stationary earth" model makes me cry  :Tantrum:
[right][post="107366"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]There wont be any discussion on the movement of stars and accuracy until V1 is out, that is because of excesive complexity.

Greetings
Red Knight