ART - Combat Armor

Guest drewid

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it possible to make visor on the helmet, like in Rainbow 6 games heavy armor? What color would they be, camo patters or blue like in x-com? Are there any intentions to include rank insignias to shoulders or arms? :huh?:

Guest drewid
Yeah the legs could do with something..They could have patches of super-velcro or somesuch and stick on holsters, ammo packs and stuff..

Urinating isn't a prob, it's like samuri armour at the bottom, It's a flap rather than a pair of steel chuddies :D , strips of titanium/alien alloy in some super tough material. not as protective, but they can always wear a steel jock-strap of the get nervous, bit cold tho :o

Starship trooper is the helmet. The visor pulls down like fighter pilots glare shield. though I suppose it could be down all the time and have a pull down shield inside.

The mic for the comms is built into the chinguard.

Colour..... I was thinking of some sort of camo, but a mix of blues, greys and greens because of the different environments they are fighting in. I'll try a few.
I like the insignia idea, and graffiti on their helmets and stuff, as long as it's not too bright. (helloooo, i'm here, shoot me now!)
:bash:

I was also wondering if the heavy armour has a cameleon system of some kind. Not a "predator cloak" but more like cuttlefish skin. where it tries to match the general colour of the background, but still looks like camo. (cuttlefish are great, they can even change the texture of their skin and do moving patterns and stuff)

Guest drewid
Yeah. I know what you mean. perhaps the arm and leg stuff shouldn't go all the way round, more like hockey pads. I was going to something similar with the gloves. a big armoured plate across the back of the hand and fingers. partly for protection and partly to aliens with who get too close, like big brass knuckles.

Could there be two versions of the same armor, what i mean is there would be Assault troops that have less Tu:s, but had more armor and Regular Soldiers with normal amout of Tu:s. Just wondering...

hmm maybe htere should be 3 types of armor (personal armor, light power armor which acts as power armor, heavy power armor which acts as flying suit but without ability to fly) and there will be some parts of it that you can replace:

helmet (normal helmet, sniper helmet(better ac, lower reaction or sth.) etc.)
gloves/claws (normal gloves, claws (you can brawl with muton :) but you can't use firearms and more complicated things with small buttons etc.)
jumpjet pack (lower armor in chest area but you can fly) as in Apocalypse
Jumpjet Boots( you can jump up to 15 m vertical) ofcourse if there will be jumping :)

Guest drewid
I like the replacing bits idea. various chunks of armour could be attached to the bones of the characters and turned on and off as needed.

That would mean nailing everything done before animating anything, but that's not a problem.
I wouldn't want to put too much in though, cos it could go away from what the game is trying to be.

Guest drewid
easy peasy. just swap textures.it would take minutes to fiddle with the hue of the texture and knock out any number of variants.

it should be possible to make the armour do it itself, magic paint. there are a number of technologies for changing colours around and I'm sure one of those could be used.

he he. the other thing is that if we use one of these technologies, and it gets badly damaged, then one of your troopers could suddenly end up with the wrong camo - evil idea :D

my 2 bits -- i've been working on a texture (more like a color) for the UFO's in the animations; it's an iridium sheen (which means that it is dull looking straight on and shiny at all angles) I'm still working on it a bit, but that is another option for the color of the armor -- so that it looks alien in origin (since, well, it is...)

Other thought (if you guys are really into the changing color and camo stuff) is that when damaged the suit loses all camo and turns to the sheen (a big shiny guy would stand out pretty well).

Very nice sketch -- i can definately see the storm trooper roots.

Mav you're as evil as me, I'm so proud :devilsmile:

I had a very similar idea when I read it. Your troops get shot and hit but not killed the armour changes colour like a damaged lcd screen if we are having active camoflage. How about in the Xnet it explains the tech behind the active camo. IE Heat and light reactive sensors on the armour detect the ambient temperature of it's surroundings and automaticaly adjusts the colour pattern and hue to fit in with the surroundings. Basic camo patterns are Arctic - which will be basically white and light blue. Temperate - Disruptive pattern camo or woodland camo patterning. Tropical - Which will be a lighter version of the temperate armour or maybe tigerstripe. Finally Desert - which could be based on either the US cookie pattern or similar desert camo.

[quote name='Deimos' date='Apr 14 2003, 12:15 AM']Mav you're as evil as me, I'm so proud  :devilsmile:

I had a very similar idea when I read it. Your troops get shot and hit but not killed the armour changes colour like a damaged lcd screen if we are having active camoflage. How about in the Xnet it explains the tech behind the active camo. IE Heat and light reactive sensors on the armour detect the ambient temperature of it's surroundings and automaticaly adjusts the colour pattern and hue to fit in with the surroundings. Basic camo patterns are Arctic - which will be basically white and light blue. Temperate - Disruptive pattern camo or woodland camo patterning. Tropical - Which will be a lighter version of the temperate armour or maybe tigerstripe. Finally Desert - which could be based on either the US cookie pattern or similar desert camo.[/quote]
Maybe save that for the Power Suit? Sounds a little too advanced for the Personal Armour

Guest drewid
Yah I though that too.save it for later in the game. Not that far fretched though, I did see a guy at Siggraph one year with an animating tie. (some sort of light emitting protein research thing)

[quote name='drewid' date='Apr 14 2003, 01:21 PM']Yah I though that too.save it for later in the game. Not that far fretched though, I did see a guy at Siggraph one year with an animating tie. (some sort of light emitting protein research thing)[/quote]
Yeah might be better for later in the game. The armour could use LEP's as a skin above the metal. LEP's are Light Emitting Polymers and are flexible and about 1mm thick. They're currently being used in top end mobile phones and car hifi's replacing LCD screens at the moment but TV's are projected to be coming out within 5 yrs. They're aiming to replace plasma tv's and projectors with them. I can't wait :D

Guest drewid
[quote name='Deimos' date='Apr 14 2003, 10:20 AM'][quote name='drewid' date='Apr 13 2003, 08:58 PM'] cos commander John Kryten has appeared on the mockup arming screen :)

(I like Red Dwarf too)[/quote]
Actually John Kryten is from Farscape but I agree Red Dwarf is cool. [/quote]
I realise which kryten you meant as soon as I hit the send button.
I like farscape too :D

[quote name='Deimos' date='Apr 14 2003, 10:26 AM']The armour could use LEP's as a skin above the metal. LEP's are Light Emitting Polymers and are flexible and about 1mm thick.[/quote]
I must agree with that it should be in power armor, because it would need quite alot batteries to keep it on always. Maybe we could include batteries to power and flying suits. It would make game harder to beat. Just when you are closing last alien you power supply fails and he blast u off with his Plasma rifle.

[quote name='Deimos' date='Apr 15 2003, 03:15 PM']LOL, new longer lasting elerium powered engergiser bunny.[/quote]
LOL Think about the aliens as they tremble in fear soon as find found what is earths new weapon... Avenger full of drum beating robotic bunnies :P

[quote name='Raven Squad' date='Apr 16 2003, 05:03 AM'][quote name='Deimos' date='Apr 15 2003, 03:15 PM'] LOL, new longer lasting elerium powered engergiser bunny.[/quote]
LOL Think about the aliens as they tremble in fear soon as find found what is earths new weapon... Avenger full of drum beating robotic bunnies :P [/quote]
Quite a sight actually... modellers get going! I want to see that scene for real :P

I doubt that we would need batterys. Why do you need to reaserch UFO power scouce to get power suit? Because it has 1 implanted. why else?

Overall, I must say, it looks like a sound design, but I feel that having a power supply that can run out during battle is a little on the dull side. If you were to make power armor, you would likely make it so that it could last for days, or at least more than an hour.

What we could do is power the suits with a laser emitted from the Skyranger or similar, which is what NASA is planning to do with spacecraft in the future. Something like solar sails, I think. I don't think it would work well, but the tactical element involved would be great; You need a line of sight with the dropship in order to keep your powered armor powered!

Maybe instead of powered armor for that, we could develop another, cheaper type of armor (no power supply required), maybe with certain advantages (FCS or a HUD, maybe? Or is that going to powered?) with the disadvantage of having functionality only in direct line of sight with the dropship, meaning less TU's when you're not within line of sight (or someone tosses a smoke grenade between you and it), more energy usage, and less accuracy.

That's pretty good Mc.Bob, but it's a little 'alien' looking isn't it? We're trying to keep the look of human tech clean and contemperary looking as if it would work one of the militaries of the world.

Can you model in 3d, if so that style might fit well for say Muton armour. It look as though each of the pieces would be curved which could get tricky in 3d, but if you can 'facet' the armour maybe done in a geodesic style and dark green with the irridium sheen would look cool.

Guest drewid
That would be cool. It's good too have different people doing concepts for different chunks of game like that, it stops stuff getting too 'samey' . I think any of the alien races would be using armour or grafted-in plating.

Guest drewid
Yah , good idea. Are you gonna have a go at designing aliens too?

It's a tough job mind, there'll be a lot of back and forwards about them so be prepared for some (constructive) criticism.

Greys are as-was
Mutons - might be an idea to try something ayrian,- tall, muscular, blonde, totally blue eyes. They turn up quite a lot.

Other stuff - dunno there's an alien races thread somewhere with a link to a good site

New thread - Yes Good idea.

Guest drewid
Yah, the genesis alien concepts were fantastic.
I think the designs are owned, but we could do stuff "inspired by them".
I wonder if the artist would mind us using the designs? (though I doubt he owns them).

My favorite is the spikey "etherial" chryssallid.

The only problem I can see with this is that of testing new designs in the game. So it might be more of a wishlist thing rather than a v1.0. Best to stick with the aliens we've got so far for now. After all they've got to be modelled, skinned and animated yet and there are quite a few to do :).

Guest drewid
it would be the same unit with the same stats.
The only difference would be what it looks like I think. we don't want it identical to the original. ;)

The last that I had read about alien models was that we were hoping to use Last Hope models. Is this no longer the case due to possible legal issues?