ART - Combat Armor

Guest drewid

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name='Jim69' date='Jul 7 2003, 12:50 PM']Would that helmet have any pratical uses in game, or would it be just eye candy?[/quote]
why do you think you have 5 "above" armor?

In addition to armor, it's also your tactical comm link to "control" your soldiers. Similar to Aliens 2 headgear, which IMO is pretty much what standard tech soldiers starting off a new game should look like.

Apparently they're developing a tactical display for that helmet, which will do things. One, it will incorporate the sight picture from the OICW (the new up and coming infantry weapon) so the soldier will be able to look around corners and such without exposing his head. Second, the display will show things such as navigation points, locations of enemy and friendly units, and assigned targets. The army techheads had discussed being able to designate targets and call for artillery using the eyepiece as well. Some versions may also incorporate night vision or thermal views.

A far cry from the plain old Kevlar.

I agree. At the least, I think the mini helmet hud is a good idea, it can be explained via creative text as the comm link that allows the player to coordinate their actions.

• 4 weeks later...
1 question: Has ne1 actually started the T-Shirt armour featured here? I'd like 2 give it a crack if noone has, even if it aint that good it could at least b a base 4 someone else 2 modify it if I can't satisfaturaly, but I am confident. I saw a few of the concepts posted here so I'd like 2 try that if that's alright,.

I realise this is a big and important job so I am gonna finish the BB court's textures and take it a step at a time to ensure I do it right. I am gonna try a concept, but I am not very good at drawing, so maybe someone who is better at it than me could give it a quick crack? I was thinking of using a mix of the standard light DPM with a few things borrowed from the LandWarrior posted above.

[quote name='Jim69' date='Aug 11 2003, 09:59 AM']1 question: Has ne1 actually started the T-Shirt armour featured here? I'd like 2 give it a crack if noone has, even if it aint that good it could at least b a base 4 someone else 2 modify it if I can't satisfaturaly, but I am confident. I saw a few of the concepts posted here so I'd like 2 try that if that's alright,.

I realise this is a big and important job so I am gonna finish the BB court's textures and take it a step at a time to ensure I do it right. I am gonna try a concept, but I am not very good at drawing, so maybe someone who is better at it than me could give it a quick crack? I was thinking of using a mix of the standard light DPM with a few things borrowed from the LandWarrior posted above.[/quote]
The tshirt should be free. I was planning on starting the Personal armor after I finished the baseview assets to keep continuity with the power armor.

The personal armour is the 1st alien alloy 1 right? Well, if I stick 2 the landwarrior type design it shouldn't fvck up ur flow 2 much. It may not even be that good, there's always the option, as I said, of someone else remaking it. Am I alright doin a kevlar vest and helmet 4 the T-Shirt armour? It strays a little from the original but makes more sence IMO.

Do you mean the concept art or the 3d modeling? If you mean the modeling, just realise that there's a lot of details to consider for it to be animated correctly. Besides, there's lots of models for outdoor stuff still. ^_^

[quote name='Breunor' date='Aug 11 2003, 07:01 PM']Do you mean the concept art or the 3d modeling? If you mean the modeling, just realise that there's a lot of details to consider for it to be animated correctly. Besides, there's lots of models for outdoor stuff still.  ^_^[/quote]
:D I know, I like 2 have a lot on my plate it keeps me entertained and I really want 2 learn more modelling skills. I'll still b working on other models, like I'm gonna finish the BB court b4 I start this, and I'll be workin on some more things 2.

In answer 2 ur questions, I mean both, and I am awear of the challenges of character modelling. I am going 2 get myself well informed b4 I start to prevent any headaches, altho I have a little bit of an idea already. I think the hardest part will b the skinning, altho I REALLY need 2 learn about bone systems, if not actual animation. Don't expect the model any time soon, I'm gonna think about it as a sorta pet project even if someone else does another version. Sorta a test dummy 2 learn more features.

Like I said, I am confident tho.

• 2 weeks later...
So long as you have the bones in there and the polys are assigned correctly, it's downhill from there IMO. Just make sure to give yourself extra polys at the joints that deform correctly during motion, that seems to be a big issue according to the more experienced modelers.

I also think that Vaaish has started doing the personal armor as well, so I suggest working on the T shirt armor perhaps, or an alien would be good. The assetlist is up to date for units AFAIK, let me know via PM and I'll put you down.

• 4 months later...
ok folks after a long pause here is the personal armor for the male models. This is supposed to be the intermediary between the tshirt and power armor and the first attempt at using alien alloys in armor so I'm just going for a single plate strap on style.

That looks very good Vaaish, yeah the few extra polys won't matter too much. I think it will look cool to have the glistening alloy plates over the flak jacket body armor, which is what I'm seeing here right? Are there plates on the sides of the torso? It currently looks like there aren't any.

:rock: Looks sweet!

no plate really on the sides. in fact the flack jacket is prettymuch replaced by that over the top armor plate which is backed with some of the flak jacket at the top.

well if everyone likes this then I'll see about getting the female version made. After that we have all of the human Xcorps armor models done and waiting textures.

any takers? :D

The arms look rather unprotected, as does the head. I mean, there is a helmet there, but it doesn't really seem to look like it protects enough. Personally, I think the Personal Armor should use a new helmet. But thats just me.

It's seems like there's a little too much of the body that doesn't get any protection. I mean, why would the engineers design the armour to thin out at the belly and leave so many areas completely unarmed. Yes, it has to be light weight and allow smooth movement but I figure it could be more protective without making it much bulkier. The power armour doesn't only cover the whole body but it's also thicker.

CPL: the arms are just as protected as the legs. they have gauntlets protecting the forearms and the pad protecting the upper arm. The helmet is an upgraded version of the Tshirt inthat it has the integrated visor, it's not meant to be a radically new design but more of "hey this alien stuff is pretty tough lets try beefing up the flakjackets with it" I've upgraded this armor from the Tshirt by adding protection for the arms, leg and groin, something that modern day soldiers don't have. Thats the main improvement over the Tshirt and the stepping stone to the fully encased power and flight armors.

White: The plates are not the only protection, it is more of an uparmored flak jacket on the torso and the adition of pads on the extremities.

The up armroed sections are meant to add aditional protection to areas where vitals are, eg the chest cavity and most of the abdomen. I'll see about enhancing the protection around the waist though.

With the exception of the sides, the protection is pretty good. Making the plates even closer together or covering more of the joints greatly reduces mobility, believe me I've had to deal with it. As most soldiers in the last 300-400 years have found out, more armor usually doesn't compensate for the loss of mobility and speed due to the effectiveness of the weaponry. This armor is probably the last incarnation of that reality, the power armor fully uses alien tech to overcome the protection/speed/mobility compromise.

I'm willing to try some texturing, although I don't have a good UV mapper. UVunwrap is shareware, doesn't give you all the options. Once I'm past that obstacle, we'll see how my PSP skills improve as I work on it... Edited by Breunor

Ok! Now that I see it color coded, I have no problems with it. Now I realize that there was more armor there than I thought... :)
Anyway, are the plates going to have the standard alien tech texture with irridium sheen?

[quote]Anyway, are the plates going to have the standard alien tech texture with irridium sheen?[/quote]

Thats the general idea :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, there has always been the warning to the creative writers that the artwork takes precedence, but that they could offer suggestions for how things could look. IMO if those suggestions haven't been made here at this point, Vaaish shouldn't worry about changing his model after the fact.

• 3 months later...
Yeah, sorry flam but all the human armor model meshes are done. Perhaps you'd be interested in animating some of them instead?

nice one vaaish, I was worried from the initial concepts that it might turn out too armoured but that is a fine piece of work.