XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Heavy Weapons + Motion Detectors

Honestly? I've never used motion detectors more than once or twice in the original game. Others may find more use for them, but i find it better to seek the aliens out on your own rather than waste a hand holding it, therefore lowering your accuracy with a rifle, or wasting valuable TU's by putting it back in your rucksack.

Maybe after researching Motion detectors you could actually integrate them into some of the larger weapons like auto-cannons and heavy lasers.

Don't think they would work too well on smaller versions like rifles due to the possibly unwieldy design. The heavier weapons already compensate for the weight, and a small and very usefull attachment wouldnt hinder them much if at all.

You could make a little flip out screen like on some handheld camcorders, or simply place it behind and underneath the first target site if that makes any sense. If anyone has played the original Halo for X-box, I was thinking a similar placement like on their assault rifle, where it shows the compass and ammo remaining.

Edited by Maxwell Armada

Or heavens forbid, have a very basic version as part of a power armour helmet, or have one built into some of the troop transporters.

Ahh, the Victorinox swiss army knife with 42 accessories and an in-built motion or thermal sensor.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 2 years later...
Honestly? I've never used motion detectors more than once or twice in the original game. Others may find more use for them, but i find it better to seek the aliens out on your own rather than waste a hand holding it, therefore lowering your accuracy with a rifle, or wasting valuable TU's by putting it back in your rucksack.
If have no time to reach backpack, just drop it and pick up after skirmish. <_< Even with X-Com tactical engine tactics can vary. It depends... E.g. team can have pair of specialized scouts (they can even use timed and primed grenades to drop and run if they have no time to throw), etc. ?Terror site? mission makes fast advance important (and detectors less useful due to lots of civilians), others allows TU reserve so scouts have enough TU to fall back if they stumbled on Alien. Then scouts need not fight alone whatever they discovered and can have MDs. And so on.
Maybe after researching Motion detectors you could actually integrate them into some of the larger weapons like auto-cannons and heavy lasers.
We could mount sensors (and whatever else) on retractable hands-free consoles to be placed on shoulders.

But IMHO here's another problems with subj.

Since there's lots of energy transferred around, loss is bound to hinder sensors, even if both sensors and data processing are good for clean conditions. Bullets pushes shockwaves, eplosions generate both strong shockwaves and flashes, laser sparks and plasma bolts contributes to firework as well. Flashes, bangs, echo and catchlight, electromagnetic jamming by pulse power equipment... Can those detectors help at all during exchange of fire and some time after ?

Sensitivity vs. noise (false negative / false positive balance) is also thing to consider. Detection model can be a bit more complex than surrendering some true data under specified conditions.

On the other hand, identification may be possible sometimes. Human voice is one sound, dog's another, Silacoid's is third, X-Com operative walking in armor and cyberdisc's cooler would make different sorts of sounds, etc.

You could make a little flip out screen like on some handheld camcorders, or simply place it behind and underneath the first target site if that makes any sense.
HUD or merely small screen where it does not obstruct anything. Sensor is one thing, output screen is another, so here's lots of possibilities...
Any of the heavy lasers you sell to other countries would then have the equipment.
Only need of placing sensor system (other than aim-camera) directly on hand-held weapon i can imagine is Long-Range Laser Spectroscopy. So we'll know material of our target's vaporized part. :D