XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo2000 Weapon Concepts Discussion

Exo2000

A simple armouring system would definately make any new armour easy to use and customise in both arming men and development of new critters - universal armour in other words - also helps interchanging (A hat from this set, a boot from this set etc) but wouldnt work too well with the old stuff and sounds like alot of hassle for very little.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmm, apocalypse style equiping, but ufo/xcom style gameplay and graphics. i like :P

i guess mostly it would be a matter of introducing new equipment slots, specific for diffrent kinds of gear (back, body, head, hands, feet) and the gear itself.

but as i dont know much about the internals of the game, i cant say how hard it would be...

Edited by hitmark

• 1 month later...

I got the custom explosions done and up for further and advanced testing.

Here's a diff file.

Apply, compile, blow things up.

Custom_Explosions.zip

Conclusion: Swat and riot police use sheilds. Soldiers dont.

Metal Gear Solid 2, anyone? You know, when you are detected, those search parties come in and some of them has a pistol and a shield...And i think they are soldiers.

And actually soldiers use shields IRL also, but they only use them when they are sweeping trough buildings. This means that it would be unrealistic only if they are used in somewhere else than UFO base, X-com base or UFO...

And aliens in HALO have shields too...

Edited by Sinofdamnation

Custom explosions added in version 1026

Conclusion: Swat and riot police use sheilds. Soldiers dont.

Metal Gear Solid 2, anyone? You know, when you are detected, those search parties come in and some of them has a pistol and a shield...And i think they are soldiers.

And actually soldiers use shields IRL also, but they only use them when they are sweeping trough buildings. This means that it would be unrealistic only if they are used in somewhere else than UFO base, X-com base or UFO...

And aliens in HALO have shields too...

They even use shields in Bet on Soldier! :P

Most shields would be large shields that protected a significant portion of the body, really.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes....

can we get the 40MM Grenade Launcher TU adjusted so that you can fire and reload in the same round?? Having actually fired an M203 (greande launcher attached to the M16) I know for a fact it's not very time consuming to reload. IMO, I think the rocket launcher should be harder to reload.

eg.... IRL with a GL all you do to reload is flip a switch, slide the tube forward(spent casing is automatically ejected), insert fresh round, and fire.

RL....i know of no rocket launcher IRL that can be easily reloaded with out setting it down on the ground....unless you have an Assistant Gunner.

Another issue I see is the classification of 2 handed weapons. Should you be able to dual wield a rocket and pistol? Not all soldiers are Arnold, yanno? :ar15:

the 40mm takes ages to load simply because it was unballanced. It took alot of tweaking to get it right. As it was, it made the RL redundant.

I will take a look at it at some point though since im still developing the set.

Another issue I see is the classification of 2 handed weapons.  Should you be able to dual wield a rocket and pistol?  Not all soldiers are Arnold, yanno? :ar15:

Soldiers suffer an accuracy penalty (I'm not sure how high it is, but it's enough to make a difference, especially with rocket launchers - even standard rifles) when using a two-handed weapon when their other hand is holding something. This only counts for two-handed weapons, however - the pistol in that other hand will suffer no penalty.

Is that a fixed penalty or is it dependent on weight of the weapons in question and strength of the solder? I suppose a strong soldier with two rifles should have less penalty than a weaker soldier with two rocket launchers.

Sniper Rifle (Should look at least vaguely like a well-known sniper rifle model, Dragunov SVD, etc.)

Function: Long-Range spotting and killing. Accuracy penalty when standing up. Very good on lightly armoured targets. (None/Pers) Worse against armoured targets (Power/Hoverpower)

I think it might be hard to balance out, but allowing a sniper to have a longer field of vision would be realistic. Looking through a high power scope should allow you to see farther. Would it be possible to make it so that a soldier armed w/ a sniper weapon would be able to see farther when kneeling down? (kneeling = looking through scope)

i'd personally like to see a soldiers accuracy with a two handed gun and another item in the other hand shoot through the floor - i find it kind of rude that my sectoids can carry a huge demo pack in one hand and still be able to hit their marks with their plasma rifles convincingly.

or perhaps a stamina penalty - shooting a large gun with one hand would make you tired. Trying to keep said gun under control would drain ones stamina even more ...

Is that a fixed penalty or is it dependent on weight of the weapons in question and strength of the solder? I suppose a strong soldier with two rifles should have less penalty than a weaker soldier with two rocket launchers.

I'm not sure what it's like, but I'll tell you this - it's not safe to stand behind any cover that's waist high when trying to fire your rocket launcher. :D

I once tried this. My Ethereal was standing behind a bin and fired. The missile hit the bin, killing him instantly. ROFL

well, if you guys wanted some really good realism, you'd add backblast to the rockets. I think it'd be a really nice and cool thing to add, and the only problem would be taht you'd have to increase the accuracy of the rocket launcher a little bit, to counter the dangers of the backblast

• 2 weeks later...

How about an autoclip, 30 round clip, Shot types: auto 30, accuracy 25% time units to fire=40% Reload=50% cost per gun 95, cost per clip 45, two handed

Also about shield, wouldn't it be easy to make a guymholding a shield with standard amour in allareas but front , and make him selectible under armour for humans?

How about an autoclip, 30 round clip, Shot types: auto 30, accuracy 25% time units to fire=40% Reload=50% cost per gun 95, cost per clip 45, two handed

Also about shield, wouldn't it be easy to make a guymholding a shield with standard amour in allareas but front , and make him selectible under armour for humans?

problem with large autoshots is that it takes ages for them to complete, player two might get fed up and leave, and id completely agree with their reasons, no one wants to wait 1/2 and hour for a single attack to end.

ever heard of commander keen's raygun?
Aww don't flame the fella. Keen's raygun stunned units, very effectively. This would be an interesting strategy: Snipe the enemy's units with the raygun, and place a frag mine and a HE on top of them in case they wake up. This could be interesting... A stun gun that is easier to reload than the magnetic launcher, and is more accurate would be quite cool. Commander Tommy: "I can never be killed, I am invinci.... ghuuhh! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..."

problem with large autoshots is that it takes ages for them to complete, player two might get fed up and leave, and id completely agree with their reasons, no one wants to wait 1/2 and hour for a single attack to end.

Yes, maybe if the shooting engine was redone so that multiple shots could be in the air at the same time, we could have a shotgun that shoots out a spray-shot consisting of ~15 low accuracy low damage bulets. More realistic since if you are far away, you either do no damage or something low, like ~10 if you got lucky and one hit. But up close and personal, this would be ~150 :SHTF:

This would also enable a super machine gun that shoots 30 rounds each time.

BUT! There's another problem, this would be lame because walls tend to disappear when you hit them, even if it's very low damage. So a shotgun and a machine gun would clear away a lot of terrain.

To fix this you would have to redo the engine aain, saying that You can shoot through walls. Each wall object can have a number of holes before it disappears. Sounds pretty hard to me, nevertheless it's an option.

a stun gun already exists in a manner of speaking, the 40mm GL has the CS gas grenade that can rend targets unconcious.

As for re-writing the engine to allow multiple bullets, no! unless you want to do it yourself. We have very few programmers and the ones we do have are either very busr with life or concentrating on other aspects of the game. that would require tonnes of work and would probably raise the occourance of CRC errors by several hundred times. Not only does the game have to keep track of the projectiles path it also needs to check for obstacles and their armour and it needs to generate a random damage value: lots more stuff can go wrong if the game also has to track several other bullets enroute also.

As for re-writing the engine to allow multiple bullets, no! unless you want to do it yourself. We have very few programmers and the ones we do have are either very busr with life or concentrating on other aspects of the game. that would require tonnes of work and would probably raise the occourance of CRC errors by several hundred times. Not only does the game have to keep track of the projectiles path it also needs to check for obstacles and their armour and it needs to generate a random damage value: lots more stuff can go wrong if the game also has to track several other bullets enroute also.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting anything different :/

Not really, because they'd still be able to use both hands.

Some of the tricks ive used in the weaponset so far if anyone is interested:

To Force a weapon to act like it cannot be reloaded, simply create a single ammo source and place the item in the same place as an existing item. You need to place it on the same co'ords as an item that is unused otherwise the old item will dissapere also. Since ufo2k loads weapons automatically, it will load the default ammo but since the game cannot place the ammo on the sheet, it will not be selectable. but itl still be usable.

To stop players from throwing extremely powerfull grenade style weapons (Alien breeching charge) simple make its width 3! a soldier cannot carry an item with a width of 3 squares so it means the players must plant the weapon like a real charge. The downside is that the item requires to be detonated by another weapon

If you want to split your weapons into seperate sheets but still want all of them to be accesible from each seperate sheet, simply place all of the items you do not want to have on that particular sheet into a pile on the same co'ords in the sheet. Non of the weapons will show but they can still be used if they appear in another sheet. This is how i split the weapons up in the ufo2kset (Newest only)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
An idea on how to do a railgun effect: Laser graphic, High accuracy, auto shot is only mode of fire, Hence,it will look like one beam, and go thru walls!

(there is probably some obvious flaw with this, but I can't figure out what it is)

The fact you could fire it at a line of enemies and kill them all in one attack?

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh, I was just watching a show about railguns, and the military. It's supposedly not a very good anti-personell weapon, since a slower bullet will leave a larger exit wound and has a higher rate of fire (for now). Apparently the US military is planning to lug 20 kilogram triangle-shaped metal chinks at important armored targets, such as ammunition.

A more realistic railgun would fire at extremely high accuracy, take two turns to reload, and bypass armor completely, (no armor damage, goes straight to health). Unfortunately the damage would be lower than expected from such a fancy weapon. Especially since realistically it would come at a very very very high price.

I still can't find the flamethrower...

• 3 months later...
A Microwave laser would be cool, but what I had just thought of is a non-HE mine, something like those alien eggs from the Alien series, except robotic and stabby rather than biological and inseminaty. I rally wanna use mines in no HE games, since no-HE games are usually much more fun.

Maybe it would have a stun explosion?
That would be interesting, but A stun mine just doesn't sound right. Of course neither does a robo-mine that lunges at your face with razor arms... Meh, if the stun is potent enough, I guess it would make sense, but then it would take out armored units too. I guess there's no pretty way to do this...

• 2 weeks later...
edit: nvm, just read the OTHER pinned post. related to this thread. perhaps the 'rules' of one thread should be moved to the thread itself in question. Throws use new folk off. Edited by Popek

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...