4 replies to this topic

#1 Marcling

Marcling

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:22 AM

If i fail a mission should I just pull out and get some new soldiers or load my last save and try again? I always wondered this :P

#2 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10,529 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

Your call.
Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.

#3 Zombie

Zombie

Colonel

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

If i fail a mission should I just pull out and get some new soldiers or load my last save and try again? I always wondered this :P

I often asked myself the same question. When I first started playing I'd opt to reload and try again just to see if there was a way to win. You can develop all sorts of good strategies this way. But with this game there is always a factor of randomness which is involved: while a strategy may work in a playthrough of one mission, it may not work at all in another playthrough even though everything is the same. I've long since given up trying to guess the randomness and just accept the outcome now. :)

- Zombie
The Mr. Grognard of X-COM

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#4 Marcling

Marcling

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

Okay, thanks for the help.

#5 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

Definitely your call on this matter, as losing one battle doesn't always mean you've lost the war. If you've got the cash and your operations haven't been shut down by your last base being destroyed or the whole operation being nicked by the council, you can keep going.

I suppose the what really matters is whether you're happy with losing all the experience or equipment lost during the battle. The longer you play the game and get used to its ins and outs, you'll be able to comfortably play the game with new to mildly experienced soldiers.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1