XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Suggested Feature

stewart

It would be impossible to include the same picture in interceptor battle window I guess? :huh:

• 2 months later...

I have a suggestion.

You know how when you're installing it and it asks for the locations of X-com and TFTD so it can get the images? Well, you should have a place to put other ones. I've made a couple of custom sets, and there's no way to allow your program to run 'em. Well, I guess ther kinda is, other wise I still wouldn't know if they worked....

Example:

I made a new BARN set (called BARNX) with a staircase going up and to the left (it normally only has one going up and to the right). The 2 new tiles were simply placed at the end. So, to test it I had to make a level using it. I made one using the BARN tile set, followed by the BRAIN tile set. ('cuz the order does matter, I say to those who haven't played with it much) For the new stair cases I simply used the first 2 tiles from the brain set. When it was finished I whent and made a test.lua that basically told the game I only used the BARNX tile set (which I hadn't used at all when making it). It worked exactly as I had hoped, but if your editor could just be told to recognise other tilesets, it would be easier to test ones in the future.

I did it this way after noticing that your program doesn't even notice the BLANKS tile set, so probably has a built-in list (or 2, I don't have TFTD).

In case you care, my plans mostly focus around making staircases that go in different directions, and possibly some kind of ladder, now that elevators work. In the original X-com tilesets, there are only 2 staircases that go toward the camera (unless you count slanted dirt/grass which I don't), and they're both part of X-com ships, and don't especially look great.

Oh, and another suggestion, perhaps a tile counter. I've heard (but not tested/looked into) something about it only being able to (at least for now) use upto 255 (or so) tiles. It might be usefull to know if you're over the limit (if it exists).

The limit is 255... this is derived using blanks + Terrain + UFO + X-Com

what sets are loaded are based on the mission type, and the number of craft.

What I would like to see the ability to create new tile sets based on what tiles are actualy used in a map set. so I add a as many image files as I want and then tell it to make new Tileset and It creates the new .mcd .tab and .pck files and adjustts the maps entry numbers to match. this would remove what tiles I dont use in the mapset and saves me from having to manualy edit a tileset before I know all of what I want to use.

-Blade FireLight

The only problem with scanning/adding user made maps automatically during installation is that you arent guaranteed to have the same image dependency order as the othe maps with the same name. And if you have a map set that doesnt exist in the original games, i couldnt begin to guess at your dependencies.

Essentially, you 'install' it once, and keep your .dat files well backed up (they are b acked up when you save settings at any time) because if you make a dependency change, its not the easiest thing in the world to get right again

As for a tile counter - yes that has been suggested before, if it doesnt make it into the next release, be sure to remind me again =)

• 3 months later...
What I would like to see the ability to create new tile sets based on what tiles are actualy used in a map set.  so I add a as many image files as I want and then tell it to make new Tileset and It creates the new .mcd .tab and .pck files and adjustts the maps entry numbers to match. this would remove what tiles I dont use in the mapset and saves me from having to manualy edit a tileset before I know all of what I want to use.

-Blade FireLight

This is EXACTLY what my new XcomUtil Terrain Editor is designed to do. Go look at the XcomUtTE thread under the XcomUtil subforum.