XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Quick Question

cvieor

Are there any actual changes in gameplay or graphics?

Nope.

With all the great programs and patches available nowadays, either version will be fine. You can get a patch to fix the alien death screams that blehm refers to.

Just get the cheapest one :)

Why yes it does. In fact, all you need are the modified .cat files, and you can still run the game under X-Comutil or the other patches.

Could you explain that better for the less technically inclined of us (me) please?

Yeah, I've heard so many things about Xcomutil, how it introduces bugs and corrupts save games...

I already had a problem with the CE version (probably not related to it though), a weird one where the size of some UFOs was changed to "Alien Corpse", and their speed was 23615, and when entered in combat (after slowdown), they had the size and firepower of Battleships...

Oh, and 2 weeks later, the game crashed as a new type of UFO appeared...

I was considering grim defeat and starting from scratch, but fortunately I was able to load the previous month, and everything worked fine...

That is, until I heard a civie dying in a Muton medium scout recovery, and I had a dead civie in the score at the end of the mission... :o

NMot sure if I should load back... again :crying:

Corrupts save games? Actually, X-Comutil is the only thing that allows me to play the game WITHOUT corrupted saves. :huh: Of course, you should always backup your files before applying any kind of patch. :hammer:

As for the .cat files--check your sound directory? See those "security catalogues," as XP names them? Those are the collected, non-music sound files for the game, which the CE version seems to have corrupted. Anyway, just use the sound patches for the .cat directories, and you're done, without having to worry about killing X-Comutil (patches seem to conflict with other patches).

And hey, I can barely figure out how to get my microwave to work right. Technical? Ha. :)

Oh yeah, and if you've read the documentation, I think that the author of the Util patch did that purposefully--notice how, when your troops go MIA, they'll be called "Alien-Corpse 1" in the soldiers menu? That means that (in theory), they're saved for a UFO (usually an Abductor) and can be rescued later! If you don't waste the UFO, that is. I'm not sure, because I've never had any MIA soldiers, but if my memory serves me right, that's how it works.

As for the UFO of doom, I do believe that's a Beta element left in the game, similar to the Galaxy Droid in KOTOR, put there for the programmer's amusement. Check out this little snippet from my PC Gamer Cheatguide:

Weapon-1:

---------

Submitted by: warren chen

E-mail: [email protected]

First of all, beat misson. then the end of the month send

skyranger-1 to go fight in the terrist misson. When u start

the mission, press ctrl+c. this will end the terrorist mission

and give u the same results as the last mission. Then, goto ur

base and in he spot 1 of ur interrceptor was is a craft that

looks like a fire storm but small. This ship can hold 576 men,

462 weapons, and has 250% fuel and tons of armor.But be worned,

once u get the "weapon-1", small ufo's will become super strong,

but with less men inside. When u click on the "super ufo" it has

he words "the only true threat to the x-com in the galaxy.

Civilization on earth is doomed" and soom other jiberish.

Yikes, huh? Again, probably a "glitch."

Edited by The Master Maniac

Funny Easter Egg, but my problem was purely a bug... The only time I was able to land on the SOAB, the game crashed...

I reloaded at the end of the month, and Voilà! The batleships were back in full shape...

(pets his shiny new Firestorm...)

Is there any way for me to get the original alien death screams without ALSO fixing the timing of geoscape and other such nonsense?

I already have a patch to fix all of that.. I just want the voices.

just get the first part of the patch, and extract that to the xcom1 folder

Is there any way for me to get the original alien death screams without ALSO fixing the timing of geoscape and other such nonsense?

I already have a patch to fix all of that.. I just want the voices.

just get the first part of the patch, and extract that to the xcom1 folder

Indeed. I found that works. I don't have any music anymore, but the only music worth noting was the interception music anyway. :P

Also, what is this galaxy droid you're refering to?

You probably have to go to certain places, and get a certain number of dark points, then a certain amount of light points, and then go to some more places

It's a glitch in the way the game loads the Ebon Hawk after escaping the Leviathan--already a glitchy part of the game as it is (tons of crash problems). Something triggers a beta element left in the game (it's hard to pull it off, as I've only incidentally stumbled upon the bug once myself), and voila--your ship loads with the droid.

They say the best way to (usually) trigger the glitch is to avoid having Jolee in your party until after the escape (simply have Kashyyyk as your last stop), because the game has trouble loading the next bit of dialog afterwards as a result, and sometimes falls back to the "glitched" Ebon Hawk. Other times, the game simply sits in an endless loop as it tries to find the next bit of dialog. Usually, the game manages to get it right and you can pass by regularly.

But anyway, back to X-Com--you can certainly load the first part of the patch, as j'ordos mentioned, just to use the fixed voices. Good thing, that.

As for the mysterious "weapon-1" craft, it appears that it's a bug as well--something perhaps used in development to test some aspect of UFO interceptions (?) or something like that, somehow left in the game. I've never tried hitting crtl+c in the battlescape, and I probably never will (I certainly don't want to kill X-Com, of course--wonder it's working as well as it does on my machine), but I've once had strange, random hangs or crashes that take me back to the battlescape with the same stats as a prior mission. Very strange. I'm thinking it's related to the MISSDAT folder (I think that's its name), which seems to "store" mission stat tranfers between battles. *shrugs* It's usually a simple matter of keeping a backup save just in case, to work around the occasional glitch or two. Let's face it: no game can be perfect.

Stranger still is, retrospectively, the hardest game in the series to actually get working (apocolypse), is the least buggy. :huh?:

Edited by The Master Maniac

No, the sounds are stored in the .cat files--think of them as sealed directories. The music files are stored in the same folder, but as midi files, and won't be affected. Or at least, this is true for the CE windows version.

same applies to dos version, although music isn't in raw MIDI format, it's still stored in a different file than sounds.

Well, the sound is the one and ONLY thing that was better in the original... so no, I don't feel that much nostalgia, now that I can actually PLAY it again, after all those years :LOL:

Besides, having witnessed the Pocket-PC version, I can't wait for the PALM version of XCOM to come out :D