XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo Defense Just Got A Lot More Hairy

Chris StarShade

Most of you are Superhuman fanatics.

I haven't even gotten that far and I am having a bear of a time. After completing the game on Beginner and Experienced, I am finding it next to impossible to operate effectively at Veteran difficulty. (I also don't understand what happened to my funding. >.>)

It seems you get less money at the higher setting. Which is odd for me, because I always remembered the U.S. giving over a million at the start of every game. Then I started one in Beginner to test my hypothesis... and they still didn't give close to a million.

:huh?:

I cannot understand why I thought they ever gave that much... *sigh* In any event, to make a long story short, base nailed by sectoids before first month was over. I think I will "randomize" my base location next time and try to manage my limitted funds better. Oi vey. :wacko:

It seems you get less money at the higher setting.  Which is odd for me, because I always remembered the U.S. giving over a million at the start of every game.  Then I started one in Beginner to test my hypothesis... and they still didn't give close to a million.

The amount each country gives is randomized each game. One game the US may give you $750,000, the next $1,100,000 or something. This makes your overall funding vary a little as well, though I've found you generally do get at least $6 million to start with.

I cannot understand why I thought they ever gave that much...  *sigh*  In any event, to make a long story short, base nailed by sectoids before first month was over.  I think I will "randomize" my base location next time and try to manage my limitted funds better.  Oi vey. :wacko:

What do you mean by "randomize" your base location? You certainly don't want to put it in Hawaii or something; it needs to be close to UFOs for you to get stuff to sell and research.

Yep, and from Veteran upwards (especially including Superhuman), the aliens apparently attack you at the end of the first month, regardless of how well you've done :D

Prepare for it, as it'S been almost exclusively Sectoids for me... Which means the Cyberdisks (4-6 of 'hem :o) and Psi are a real pain :crying:

Especially considering the damned Disk's self-destruct also destroys valuable Loot! :cussing:

I've shot down most of the ufo's on beginner level a bit far from my bases, and their retaliation fleets as well. I don't think the aliens know where any of my bases are yet. Although I'm not too sure about Europe since there's an alien base not far off in Germany.

heck, I hadn't played the game in about two or so years. Then I stumble onto it while searching some CDs for some images (didnt end up finding them LOL) and then got DosBox, started up a game on Experianced. Then halfway thru the first month I get a base defense! I havent had 2-3 ufo missions yet (so research of alien grenades wasnt an option - nor had i finished last pistols yet. Ended up killing 10 sectoids (if-you-see-Kayers used panic too many times) and about 3 or 4 Cyberdisks which im sorry to say, Rifles do squat! Luckly i had some rocket launchers at my disposal or i would have been toast. Lost 3 guys and I won.

Its nice to know that I was welcomed so warmly back into the game :blink:

See, there's a perfectly good reason why investing in "high explosives" and "Large rockets" (NOT tank rockets) is a Good Thing™ - especially on the harder difficulty levels. :)

Laser pistols are quite powerful against superhuman cyberdiscs, by the way, and you can get those pretty quickly. I mean, in the event that's all you have in terms of new tech, it's leagues more poweful than a standard rifle.

Oh, hey, cannon/tanks are quite powerful against cyberdiscs as well. Might need a few extra hits, but they go down a lot better than if you tried to use the rocket tank.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
Scratch what I said above, the aliens finally found my Artic base.  Now I get the thing where they keep trying to attack it unless I let a base defense mission happen heh.

Hmm, dismantle base defenses or no? :D

In the long run You'll want to let them in... the stupid "fire... hit... fire miss..." screen takes FOREVER in comparison to everything else in game. Gets annoying after the first half a month of playing.

Dismantle your base defenses? I'd ask yourself this question first: "Do I have a group of decent soldiers at the base which could handle an X-COM base defense mission"? If the answer is no, leave those defenses in place until you are confident that your soldiers have gained enough experience. If the answer is yes, then maybe dismantling those defenses is not that bad of an idea.

Recently, I have modified my base building tactics a bit. Instead of focusing on an "active defense" which uses base facility missiles to shoot down marauding UFO's, I use a "passive defense" system. You guessed it, the Mind Shield. See, the thing really does work! To test if a Mind Shield functions as advertised, I built one at my base and waited until a retaliation battleship flew around the vicinity. I then either left the facility in place or dismantled it, noting how often the battleship detected my base. Overall, the Mind Shield kept my base hidden far more often than not having it.

And in the rare instance when a UFO did detect my whereabouts with a Mind Shield in place, the soldiers at my base had already gained plenty of experience to fight the aliens on my turf without many problems. If you have the defenses built, leave 'em. If you build a new base, start with a Mind Shield first, then transfer some veteran soldiers there just in case. That should take care of most of your defensive needs for a while. If you have a ton of cash on hand, build both a Mind Shield and defensive system. That really seems to work for me if the aliens which are trying to attack are Ethereals! :)

The aliens seem to only want to send Mutons to this base apparently :) Shot down serveral Muton battleships already. Sadly I can't salvage anything among the wreckage even though its on top of my base...the stack of alien alloys like a beacon for the aliens now ;)

Incidentally I parused the forums over there at xcomcommand or whatever it was, noticed the score tables someone posted up. I hadn't realized the points for shooting down certain ufos/destroying them. The only time I've noticed I can actually destroy a battleship though is if it attempts the aforementioned base attack. Has anyone ever destroyed something that huge with their fighters or do they only crashland when attacked by your fighters?

And yes, I'm still putzing around with my Easy difficulty game ;) And still experimenting with what the CE has.

For those of us who do not own a copy of the Official Strategy Guide by David Ellis (commonly known as the OSG), we have no way of knowing any information the various tables contain. Pumpkinhead (over at the X-COM Tactical Command Forums or www.x-com.co.uk), did everyone online a giant favor by collecting these tables and related information and posting them on his website: www.ufopaedia.com.

To get to the tables you have to point your browser directly to the table directory: www.ufopaedia.com/tables. Sadly, there is no link from the parent directory showing you where to find them yet. Still, this site is a must-see for anyone needing OSG information at a glance. A top-notch piece of work this is, with all the related pics from the game! You won't be disappointed! :)

----------

Snakeman: As for your question if you can destroy a Battleship like your base defense systems can - well, no. I think most of us already know that you cannot destroy the battleship with 4 Avengers equipped with dual Plasma Cannons. That's a fact. The only craft weapon in the game stronger than the Plasma Cannon is the Fusion Ball Launcher. But, because this weapon can only carry 2 shots, hardly anyone equips multiple Avengers with them to try and shoot down a Battleship. It's still dangerous, and down-right expensive to produce the launchers and necessary ammo!

Since I have a saved game with lots X-COM bases housing multiple Avengers, I decided to give this a shot. I manufactured the Launchers and ammo, then equipped all the Avengers with them and waited. Eventually, a Battleship came to visit, so I saved the game at this point in order to attempt multiple trials. I sent everything I had to the Battleship and engaged it with 4 Avengers at a clip until it was shot down. Sadly, after around 20 or so trials, I was unable to destroy the Battleship. Each time, it was shot down. I'll keep working on this to see if it's possible. Who knows, it just might! :P

-Zombie