4 replies to this topic

#1 fabre

fabre

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:47 AM

Is it possible to have the saves in an another folder than the xcom folder?

I am thinking of burning dosbox and the dos xcom on a small cd and have the saves on a floppy, since the game is copyrighted I don't want to install it on my machine at work.

#2 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:53 AM

I've never seen a way to change the save game directory.

You could instead try using a Flash drive of some sort. You can find a 64MB card really cheap nowadays, and it'll be more than enough for X-COM 1 and 2. :wink:
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#3 Guest_Fabre_*

Guest_Fabre_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:06 PM

The usb drive could be an alternative, but has anyone actually tired to run dosbox and xcom from one of these?

Idon't mind burning a cd for nothing, but I wouldn't be to happy putting $40 cad in a usb drive if I won't be able to runxcom from it

#4 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:48 PM

I'll give you an answer tomorrow.. I doubt it works but I'll give it a try.
btw, usb memory 32mb costs like 15$ so I bet you can get 16mb usb memorystick with 5-10$ if not even free! (I got one free when I ordered a computer magazine) :D
There's no need for a sig..

#5 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 01:26 AM

I've got a pair of 128Meg usb drives (got them cheap at a liquidation sale. Amazingly useful things aren't they?), and XCom runs fine off of them. Since they appear to the computer as physical drives, they should work (also, as long as the computer can run them).

However, and here's the big problem:

If anything in XCom or Dosbox requires to know the directory it's running in, you'll have to change that.

But from what I've seen, UFO and TFTD run fine in any directory as long as all their required subdirectories are there.

For Dosbox, I'm not too sure. if you made any batchfile that automates the drive mounting process and whatnot, you'd have to manually edit them (or create a batchfile that takes parameters), or manually mount the drives and set the other settings yourself.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

Reply to this topic