XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Baseview Assets

Vaaish

Your current design looks good IMO, better than having missile tubes.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked out the access lift and standard door in Milkshape, the only thing I see is setting the scale and positioning of them Drewid. This is a screenshot of both imported, the red circle is the entire access lift selected. The larger wireframe is the doorway. The lift mechanism is positioned below the main access lift, does that need to be moved up and positioned flush with the main flooring?

1.jpg

I've scaled the facility to about 24 meters across here. I raised the center platform into a partially elevated position, and moved the door into place. The corridor connection is almost positioned off of one of the doorways as well, it was reduced in size to fit.

One thing I'm curious about is how the engine will handle each model's grouping names and material names. For example, if every model has "material 1", "material 2", etc. will that make any difference? This was brought up a while back and might still be irrelevent. But perhaps each group name in the model should include a prefix scheme like we discussed a while back just in case?

accesslift_corridor.zip

Guest drewid

Yes you're right about the material names, my bad. I think I missed a few.

I'll be doing the texturing in Maya and then sorting names on the conversion next time. Maya handles its materials in a different way than the Max multisubobject malarky. I'll see how it works on the conversion.

ok here is the blaster/fuision ball defense module

major diferances are the generators replacing the ordinance delivery system and the new cannon thanks to Mikker. (made a few changes.)

From here out the only differance will be the turret in the middle and for stuff like plasma and laser I'll try to rearance it to make it a little more obviously different.

bd1.jpg

@drewid: no It is probably never going to move so there was no reason to actually burn the polys on making the platform a separate obj.

In reference to the raising platforms: will we ever see them actually moving anyways? What I imagined was that we'd assume they had platforms that would lift them to the surface, but we wouldn't see it happening.

Just my opinion, but then we don't have to model those parts and save on polys as well. On the other hand, if they're included we could eventually animate them.

Bruneor: if poly contraints allow it once we get everything in we can go back and add in the separate lifts.

If there are no other comments about this modules I'll move on to the remaining defense modules.

Vaaish, can you zip up the facilities done so far and post them here? I'll upload them to the server and link them via the assetlist.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

For the workshop:

I believe Drewid is doing the textures, but whoever is doing them. This is a texture that could be used for the construction table. The reason I post it is because machined table tops that are truely flat ( Grade A for anyone who is interested ) leave a specific machine mark on them that looks very simular to this, the ones I have seen are a little darker but that is probably just the metal used. The reason it is important is to test to see if a metal piece is bowed if flat and since the pattern is so specific it would be good to have it in there. Obviously the texture would need to be modiyed to be tilable etc. but here it is in it's raw state:

http://www.webbied.com/3dtronic/textures02/fulltextures/DSC02177.JPG

( sorry about size, any way of modifying the size in the IMG tag? )

Hey Jim and anybody else who has them, once you have a texture that tiles well, let me know and I'll add it into the assetlist. I'll be adding a bunch I've got soon, and others will have easy access then. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I made some models for the Lab.But before i make the zip files i want you to tell me what you think.Anything to change or to improve?

I just hope you like them. :rolleyes:

Robotic Arm

http://www.angelfire.com/movies/alienshive/robot.jpg

Microscope

http://www.angelfire.com/movies/alienshive/micro.jpg

Testing tubes

http://www.angelfire.com/movies/alienshive/tubes.jpg

Those items look really good. The typical questions would include What's the polycount for each item, How about texture size? The latter is more a limiting factor from what I understand. Looking nice though!

could you please attach the images instead of posting them to your own webhost. More often than not these things don't show up unless you attach to the post.

Thanks,

All the textures for all the models are 256x256.

As for the polycount

microscope 233 polygons

robotic arm 185 polygons

testing tubes 358 polygons

This is the best i can.The microscope and the testing tubes have many cylindrical parts and thats why they use more polys.

Anyway if you like them i will make attachments of the .zip files

Vaaish:Ok no problem.From now on i will make attachments of the pics i post.

for the distance they will be viewed from you could probably get away with making the round segments out of fewer polys. just an idea though.

Guest drewid

nice stuff.

Things to do hmmmmm....

The rails that the crane is hanging from could be a lot thicker I think. They don't look strong enought to take much load to my eye. theres no reason why they couldn't be square, which would also cut down polys,

The amount of detail is very high, might be too high for the battlescape, but don't chuck these meshes out altogether, they might easily be usable in the X-Net (for research results maybe) or in cut scenes.