XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-com <-> Stargate Sg-1 Crossover?

MrDadx6

Has anyone ever considered the similarities between X-Com and the Stargate SG-1 series on Sci-Fi?

There's an Australian gaming company, Perception, working on making an SG-1-based game, but they're currently developing it as an FPS (yawn). It seems (to me, anyway) that pitching Xenocide, or XForce or any of the others to Perception as a good follow-on game based on SG-1 would be the most likely way to get such a game professionally developed (IE, get money spent on the development process).

Granted, modifying a re-done X-Com to be an SG-1 based game would alter the "flavor" of the game somewhat, but it needn't be as dramatic as you might think.

For example:

Mutons - Jaffa

Sectoids - some Go'uld

Snakemen - the original hosts for the Go'uld, I forget the species name

Ethereals - partially ascended Go'uld like Anubis

Sectoids - rogue Asgaard

Plasma weapons - Jaffa staff weapons, cannon, etc

Stun Rods - To'kra energy pistols

Stun bombs - Jaffa stun grenades

Okay, so, yeah, you would have to involve other entire planets. For that reason, a Stargate-based version of X-Com would be vaguely like Master of Orion 2. I think that both the UFO defense, and the Stargate program could be tied together, however. Missions to other planets would be a lot like base attacks or catching battleships on the ground.

Anyway, just something I've been kicking around for a year or two. Now that actual development is taking place on the Stargate video game, and I've looked at the X-Com based open source games out there, it seems like something that could really mesh well.

Uh, why? Granted, such a project wouldn't be "X-Com", but it would be a new game, using new technology, under a new company that could invest in making another great version of the game we all enjoy playing.

I see it as a win-win situation, myself. A game company revitalizing a classic like X-Com by freshening up the time-frame, the enemies, the technology, and the look of the game could win over fans of the X-Com classics without a whole lot of work. Fans of the X-Com classics, like you and me, would get a newer version of X-Com with stylistic differences, but hopefully the same essential gameplay.

I'd love to see a remake of Master of Magic, with nothing changed but updated graphics, but it probably won't ever happen. More likely, if anyone ever decides to actually MAKE MOM2 (they canned the project a couple years ago), they'll make significant changes to the gameplay and "tweak" the underlying concept. That's probably unavoidable, like it or not.

problem is, Z'tnikls or whatever those things are have a ranged attack and they can kill enemies, so those are'nt axactly the best.

perhaps you change sectoids to real ja'ffa, and snakemen to j'affa leaders. Because if that happens, then it is pretty fair. Problem is, need to have lots of mixed crews for that to happen. I say that Etherials are the full g'oald

Here's my opinion on this: No. One of the major attractions for Xenocide is that fact that it's open source. A lot of the important xenocide devs are here because of that. If we sold the project off to some gaming company, much of the valuable creative talent would leave. What you'd get as a result couldn't be called Xenocide. Also, the GPL liscense prevents us from selling this game for profit. Hence why selling Xenocide off is off limits.

Now if after version one, someone wants to make a mod of it, then I say go for it. I'm a big fan of SG-1 and I'd probably help with the story and possibly basic (very basic) concept art. But until then, we have to get version one out the door before we start working on mods. Everyone is buckeling down and getting into high gear, so we should be updating stuff in upcoming months.

Edit: You could of course approach this Austrailian gaming firm with the idea of an isometric SG-1 themed combat game, but leave Xenocide out of it.

For more questions or comments on Xenocide in general, please contact Red Knight (our project leader) via PM.

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

You said just what I wanted to, but for some reason couldn't. Well, about the "lose the originality" thing, anyway. So far, Xenocide's been a great project where anybody can offer insight and opinion--closing off the game with a license would throw away all that creative inspiration, and, more or less, destroy the "we're just doing this for fun" concept that seems to have driven the project so far.

Oh yeah, and no offense--I just don't don't like the idea of television getting into videogames in any shape, form, or fashion. Ever. Sorry. ^_^

The point is moot considering the technology used in xenocide is owned by the FSF and may not be sold for profit at any time by anyone.

Maniac: I think that fan licensing of any sort is a good idea so long as the products are of a respectable quality. This is seldomly the case, but it doesn't preclude the possibility of a successful license. Apparently the free space simulator based on babylon 5 is excellent.

Edited by fux0r666

I am not entirely certain that is the case, people make mods for games that create tv show tie-ins all the time.

Which, naturally, results in the loop-hole of "Make a game like the concept and then create the mod for it and watch as they don't bother to seek you out and slay you."

As for notes about Xenocide being non-corporate, I would like to say that if it were funded by a for-profit organization it would probably get done faster. Haha.

But, we'll get what we can get (and what we can get at the moment is Alpha/Beta Xenocide and/or UFO: Aftermath, plus all the original classic tried and true X-COM games)