XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - COMPLETED SFX - Menu Beeps And Stuff

hippyjon

heres a little loop that i thought would be cool for when you rotate the world. pressing the button would trigger a little beep and this loop.

edit: v1.1 - reduced bass rumble (3 d/l)

v1.1.1 - fixed clicking when looped (1 d/l)

v1.1.2 - removed crackle

geo_rotate_v1.1.2.zip

Edited by hippyjon

• 2 weeks later...

another geoscape sound for the next alpha (whenever thats happening)

this ones for when a ufo is spotted. ive panned one element of the sound to the right (where the green info box is) to draw peoples attention that way. should work nicely :)

id post in ogg format but my ver of soundforge doesnt like saving in general and ogg in particular :huh:

popup_ufo_spotted.zip

heres a little loop that i thought would be cool for when you rotate the world. pressing the button would trigger a little beep and this loop.

Just a tad too much bass for my liking, peraps just a smiddgen less?

this ones for when a ufo is spotted. ive panned one element of the sound to the right (where the green info box is) to draw peoples attention that way. should work nicely

I like this sound. I was playing it a few times, and I realized it has a real nice ring to it if you loop it 2 or 3 times very fast. It definately gets one's attention! If you could make it in stereo, dependent on the UFO's location on the Geoscape, that would be pretty damn cool.

Gold

Just a tad too much bass for my liking, peraps just a smiddgen less?

hehe, you should have heard v1, anyway its supposed to be quite quiet in the game (for some reason i deleted that point when i edited the post) so youll just hear a distant rumbling (thats the idea anyway). we'll have to see what it sounds like in the game, may not be bassey enough :)

I like this sound.  I was playing it a few times, and I realized it has a real nice ring to it if you loop it 2 or 3 times very fast.  It definately gets one's attention!  If you could make it in stereo, dependent on the UFO's location on the Geoscape, that would be pretty damn cool.

hmm, experimented with looping it but... *has idea* hang on... yeh that works :D

it is in stereo in v1, the higher sound is louder in the right hand channel, but if we have the game panning it dynamicaly its probably better if the source is mono (is that right? anyone one who knows the sound system let me know). so this ones mono.

this triple version may get annoying, so maybe only for large and/or very large ufos?

Edit: forgot to normalize it, tut

popup_ufo_spotted_triple_mono.zip

Edited by hippyjon

Oh, man, I was thinking the exact same thing! It is an excellent idea. We could get more specific and have different tones for each class of UFO, but at the very least, the three different ones you posted will be fine.

i think it sounds too similar to the 'ufo sighted' alert. can you make it sound less.... alert? instead of a duh-Duh-DUH make it like duh-duh or duh-duh-duh.

Haha, couldn't think how else to comminucate that. Hope it makes sense....

yeh, i agree micah :) i was trying to fit it in with the ufo spotted sound (it was made from one of the elements of that)

this one fits in with the general button pressing sounds, i'll probably make a more exciting version for reserch completed.

could you enable the posting of waves and oggs?

popup_general_v2.1.zip

• 1 month later...

Ok sorry late again!

I like the menace sound but I think we should work it into a small song like in the original game...

popup general are too "happy" (imo!) make a gloomy sound, the word is actually coming to an end after all :P (or if you want to make a happy sound tink of System Shock 2's "Thank you for chosing Value Rep!") hehe just a suggest

Georotate: sounds like rocks to me ;)

Menu sounds: not working! :(

Popup general v2: not working! :(

• 2 weeks later...
Georotate: sounds like rocks to me ;)

Menu sounds: not working! :(

Popup general v2: not working! :(

georotate: yup, it is rocks grinding. makes sence to me :)

i'm gonna post up all in one file, and delete the other links so font worry

• 4 months later...

and now: time-change sounds for when you speed up time and such.

theres 3, "slow" is for the first 3 speeds, "fast" and "fastest" are for the top two speeds. they needed a more urgent sound i felt.

take a look if you like, made em from the reverb of a big ol' russian bell.

Edit: new version below

Edited by hippyjon

While the 'fastest' and 'slow' files worked, the 'fast' version came across as a tiny bit of static and showed 0:00 length, FYI.

I've been playing with your menu beeps so far for a Xenocide feature, does anybody recommend a short sound to play when "opening a computer system" or something like that? Say like when you open the X-Net up, would you have a sound effect like something's coming online?

well thats odd, it was working last night. i'll redo it, probably redo the lot so the pulses are more regular.

an x-net start sound is on my list, i'll do it next.

i've heard people metion that stuff should "uploaded to the server", havent found anything specific to that though, does it just mean what ive been doing (posting them on here) or something else?

Make sure these are added to the next alpha version!

Hippyjon- posting them here is a good step to take, 'uploading' means sending the files via ftp to the projectxenocide server. If you don't have username/password info, contact Micah for access.

ok, made a few changes, they're a bit smoother now (less clangy, in fact virtualy clang free).

the reason the "fast" one sounded all distorted before is because it was saved in 32-bit. it crashed my computer when i played it in win media player. my apologies if it crashed anyone elses system.

edit: shorter versions on the next page...

timechange_v2_1.zip

Edited by hippyjon

Are you sure you want to use a sound that long? Can you shorten it a bit? Otherwise I can imagine it becoming a bit annoying. :(

you may be right...

...but its not letting me upload anything right now.

i'm assuming its to do with the move.

anyway, ive made a 1 2 and 3 pulse version, we could just use the 1 and 2 versions or the 2 and 3... whatever works

(and i checked my old PMs, found the one from Micah about the ftp server thing, so i'll upload finished stuff to there soon)

Edited by hippyjon

I think it's because this forum is moving and we are in the middle of some kind of a process here.. :huh?:

Yes, one of the nastier issues during a db move is probably all the relative file locations and all that, I remember it being an issue in the past move. It might be a day or two for that to be finished up. Micah's working real hard on that I'm sure, it's not an easy point and click AFAIK.

That sound would probably work well for selecting an entry to view IMO. I was thinking of something a bit longer, maybe 2-3 seconds, that would suggest a very powerful mainframe POSTing or something like that. Perhaps a clinical female voice stating, "All systems functional" might work as well. Like the Star Trek computer voice when she was in her twenties instead of fifties. ;)