XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ctd - Engineering Faclility

Hey all. Here's my third draft for the X-Net

It's not very big so I'd appreciate anything else you can think of

Btw, how come nobody's commenting on the other two Enries I posted? Surely there's something to fix...

Anyway, on with the:

Engineering Workshop

---

Initial reports by the research department has informed us that recent breakthroughs will soon allow us to create new weapon prototypes and probably replicate some of the alien technology. Unfortunately, since the existing installations are insufficient for such a task, we have designed the Engineering Workshop.

The [X-Com] workshop is a 15 x 15m, two floor room which leaves enough space to occupy up to 50 mechanics and testers working in three shifts.

The equipment contained within the manufacturing area is designed to handle and create all kinds of components of known technology and can easily refited to handle any new one developed. These components are then transferred to the materials stockroom for safekeeping and then later used in the machine shop, which resides in the second floor, to create the working mechanism.

The Prototypes created are stored in the prototyping area and then tested adequatedly so as to discover all possible sideffects.

Unfortunately, since the workshop is designed to be able to manufacture all kinds of technology and equipment, it's general production speed suffers.

However, it is possible for workshops to pool their recources in order to speed up construction.

Update: Current Version in Rtf -

Edit by Mad: Changed topic name

Workshop.rtf

Edited by Mad

<_< Well....any suggestions? :)

The [X-Com] workshop is a 15 x 15m, two floor room which leaves enough space to occupy up to 50 mechanics and testers working in three shifts.

i think The [X-Com] workshop is a 15 x 15m, two floor room which contains enough space for up to 50 mechanics and testers, working in three shifts. sounds better.

also, you should mention that projects also take up space (thus the 50 workers limit also depends on space taken by the project). for example, an Avenger takes much more space than a Plasma Rifle ;)

also, i didn't notice any mistakes in your text for the living quarters and lab, thus why i didn't comment.

also, you should mention that projects also take up space (thus the 50 workers limit also depends on space taken by the project). for example, an Avenger takes much more space than a Plasma Rifle ;)

Perhaps, but unless that has some bearing gameplay wise I'm not sure I should mention it. I mean, sure, Plasma Rifles take less time to build but mostly because they're smaller not because there aren't enough techs working on it...

I might put that on though just to have some more text.

You've probably already seen this, but just in case it's the artist description for the workshop off the art asset list:

Structure - Concrete walls; Workbench with big vice; Pegboard with tools mounted on wall panel; Roll out red toolbox 1W x 1D x 1.5H; Grey Steel cupboard 1W x 1D x 2.5H 2 doors

Machine Tools - Drill press; Lathe; CNC milling machine

Electronics - Glass paneled “clean room” with ventilation pipes; Clean workbench; Electronic test gear; Soldering station; Big resin-baking autoclave oven; Huge table with computer controlled cutting rig; PCs

Gun Range - “Running soldier” flat targets; Desk; Headphones hanging on wall; Warning notices

Materials Store - Racking shelves; Steel sheet stock; Steel pipes; Carbon fiber cloth; Drums of resins and glues

You could also draw on the various ideas from James Bond movies as well. Perhaps explaining that the shop has a modular design, allowing it to be reconfigured to accomodate different projects, is a contributing factor to why it's not as efficient as a dedicated assembly line? Just some thoughts to play with.

You've probably already seen this, but just in case it's the artist description for the workshop off the art asset list:

Structure - Concrete walls; Workbench with big vice; Pegboard with tools mounted on wall panel; Roll out red toolbox 1W x 1D x 1.5H; Grey Steel cupboard 1W x 1D x 2.5H 2 doors

Machine Tools - Drill press; Lathe; CNC milling machine

Electronics - Glass paneled “clean room” with ventilation pipes; Clean workbench; Electronic test gear; Soldering station; Big resin-baking autoclave oven; Huge table with computer controlled cutting rig; PCs

Gun Range - “Running soldier” flat targets; Desk; Headphones hanging on wall; Warning notices

Materials Store - Racking shelves; Steel sheet stock; Steel pipes; Carbon fiber cloth; Drums of resins and glues

You could also draw on the various ideas from James Bond movies as well. Perhaps explaining that the shop has a modular design, allowing it to be reconfigured to accomodate different projects, is a contributing factor to why it's not as efficient as a dedicated assembly line? Just some thoughts to play with.

Thanks for the reply Bruenor, that 's what I was looking for :)

however since my technical English isn't so good could you care to explain some of these terms? Just what they do so I know how to fit them in the text.

Lathe, CNC Milling Machine, Soldering Station, Autoclave oven,

I was thinking of James Bond "Q" Scenes when I was thinking about it, but I forgot to mention it as a flavor text :)

Anyway, I'd like something like this in the other two drafts I made...or are they good enough?

The Asset List contains a section for the facilities with descriptions like that one, it's a good reference for writing up the other entries. Autoclave is a sterilizing tool for cleaning small tools and equipment. CNC mill is a programmable machine that feeds metal bar stock into computerized cutters to make various parts (industrial fittings and various heavy bolts/screws). A lathe spins a clamped-in object so that a cutter can follow a pattern and shape the object (table legs and railing are typically made this way). A soldering iron is used to connect electrical components together, such as computer motherboards. So a station would have several irons available, might even be automated like a miniature car assembly line with welding arms.

Most of these terms can be searched for using google.com, and you will find web pages and images explaining the terms. I had to look up autoclave, that was a new one for me. :D

I read the description in the asset list but it wasn't like you wrote. However I have downloaded the asset list localy so there is a chance it has been updated since.

Update: Yep, just checked it. It has :)

Edited by Historian

Hmm, that's very odd... I'm the only one who updates the asset list, and the facility entries have been static for several months at least... very odd.

Oh well, if it's working now, that's what counts. ^_^

Perhaps, but unless that has some bearing gameplay wise I'm not sure I should mention it. I mean, sure, Plasma Rifles take less time to build but mostly because they're smaller not because there aren't enough techs working on it...

I might put that on though just to have some more text.

actually it does effect gameplay. for example, if you had 50 workers and 1 workshop (50 work space) and started a project that took 20 workspace, you could only have 30 workers working on the project. if u built another workshop (total of 100 workspace) u would have enough space for all the 50 workers and the project (total of 70 workspace).

fluff text?

"Yeah sure, i though it was a good idea to let x-corps make their own stuff. Untill i saw the workshop crew. Then i changed my mind."

Hmm, that's very odd... I'm the only one who updates the asset list, and the facility entries have been static for several months at least... very odd.

Oh well, if it's working now, that's what counts. ^_^

Ah, just noticed that I confused the art asset list with the CTD asset list :hammer:

I was looking at the CTD and saw only the small description and thought that was it.

Oh well...at least there isn't a problem :)

fluff text?

"Yeah sure, i though it was a good idea to let x-corps make their own stuff. Untill i saw the workshop crew. Then i changed my mind."

Good enough. But who would be saying something like that? Any ideas for a name? :unsure:

Anyway, another one I was thinking is:

"Please do be careful Double-oh-Seven. That simple pencil you see has a autogyro powerful enough to demolish a small building" - Robert Asley, slightly derranged X-Corp technician

:wacko:

hehe! the Q joke was pretty fun :)

As for my own, it could be CoE (Chief of equiptment)...and we could name him Jonatan Barkly or something.

Edited by mikker

Here's the second version of the Engineering Workshop.

I'm not sure if two flavor texts are a good idea, what do the rest of you think?

As you may notice, it is totaly revamped, so I'd like some commentary.

----

"Please do be careful Double-oh-Seven. That simple pencil you see has a autogyro powerful enough to demolish a small building" - Robert Asley, slightly derranged [X-Com] technician

Initial reports by the research department has informed us that recent breakthroughs will soon allow us to create new weapon prototypes and probably replicate some of the alien technology. Unfortunately, since the existing installations are insufficient for such a task, we have designed the Engineering Workshop.

The [X-Com] workshop is a 15 x 15m, two floor room which contains enough space for up to 50 mechanics and testers, working in three shifts. However the current project is also expected to take up some amount of space so additional workshops may be required, in the same base, for large constructions.

The equipment contained within the manufacturing area is designed to handle and create all kinds of components of known technology and can easily be refited to handle any new one developed.

Unfortunately, the modular design which allows this change of focus is also the primary reason why the workshop will not be as fast as a dedicated assembly line. However we feel this is a fair sacrifice to make in order to be flexible.

Once the research department provides the blueprints for the prototype and the manufacturing room provides the custom components, the workshop's Machine and Electronics Rooms are then used to complete the project. Extra raw materials are provided as needed from the Materials room residing in the upper floor. When the project is complete, it is usualy transfered to the General Storage for safekeeping.

In the case of armament such as armor and weapons, the Engineering Workshop also provides a testing area where prototypes can be tested and recalculated. It includes explosion chambers, particle and radiation rooms and of course a firing range, which also serves as a backup training range for new recruits who are not familiar with new technology.

The Engineering workshop probably won't be needed much in the first days of your operation but we're certain that it will become an invaluable friend once new non-conventional technologies are developed.

"Yeah sure, i though it was a good idea to let x-corps make their own stuff. Untill i saw the workshop crew. Then i changed my mind." - Dimitri Michael, CoE.

It's sounding pretty good, the second paragraph that describes the dimensions and capacities doesn't seem to flow for me. The specific text is:

The [X-Com] workshop is a 15 x 15m, two floor room which contains enough space for up to 50 mechanics and testers, working in three shifts. However the current project is also expected to take up some amount of space so additional workshops may be required, in the same base, for large constructions.

The equipment contained within the manufacturing area is designed to handle and create all kinds of components of known technology and can easily be refited to handle any new one developed.

Perhaps it could be worded like:

The X-Corps workshop has a fifteen meter square footprint, and provides enough space for 50 technicians to work in a 24 hour period. This does not account for the assembly area however, so larger projects can limit the number of engineers in each facility. This facility's equipment is capable of producing cutting edge devices, and can be quickly refitted as we integrate future technology.

That seems a bit more succinct, what do you think?

Yes, I'll concede that. You've got a more fluid way with words than me :)

I'll replace it for the next version

Update: Change complete. Any more thoughts anyone?

Edited by Historian

I uploaded the current version of the workshop as an .rtf in the first post. I will update that with each change I make so anyone can check it out.

Bruenor as soon as you think there is nothing more to be changed you can pick that up for the Asset List.

Cheers! :beer:

• 1 year later...

here's the current version of the workshop ctd, and below that a version in which I changed some things. tell me what you think:

Workshop

"Please do be careful Double-oh-Seven. That simple pencil you see has a autogyro powerful enough to demolish a small building" - Robert Asley, slightly deranged [X-Corps] technician

The [X-Corps] workshop has a fifteen-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for 50 technicians to work in a 24-hour period. This does not account for the assembly area however; so larger projects can limit the number of engineers in each facility.

This facility's equipment is capable of producing cutting edge devices, and can be quickly refitted as we integrate future technology. Unfortunately the modular design, which allows this change of focus, is also the primary reason why the workshop will not be as effective as a dedicated assembly line. However we feel this is a fair sacrifice to make in order to be flexible.

Once the research department provides the blueprints for the prototype and the manufacturing room provides the custom components, the workshop's Machine and Electronics Rooms are then used to complete the project. Extra raw materials are provided as needed from the Materials room residing in the upper floor. When the project is complete, it is usually transferred to the General Storage for safekeeping.

In the case of armament such as armor and weapons, the Engineering Workshop also provides a testing area where prototypes can be tested and recalculated. It includes explosion chambers, particle and radiation rooms and of course a firing range, which also serves as a backup training range for new recruits who are not familiar with new technology.

The Engineering workshop probably won't be needed much in the first days of your operation but we're certain that it will become an invaluable friend once new non-conventional technologies are developed.

"Yeah sure, I originally though it was a good idea to let [X-Corps] make their own stuff. Then I saw the workshop crew and changed my mind." - Dimitri Michael, CoE.

my version:

WORKSHOP

X-Net://Pegasus.Net/Facilities/Workshop

"Please do be careful Double-oh-Seven. That simple pencil you see has a autogyro powerful enough to demolish a small building" - Robert Asley, slightly deranged XCorps technician

Initial reports by the research department consider it highly probable that recent breakthroughs and perhaps future research of alien technology will soon allow us to create new weapon prototypes and advanced equipment. Unfortunately, since the existing installations are insufficient for such a task, the Workshop Facility has been designed.

The XCorps Workshop has the standardised fifteen-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for 50 technicians to work in a 24-hour period. This does not account for the assembly area however; larger objects being worked on can limit the number of engineers in each facility.

This facility's equipment is capable of producing cutting edge devices, and can be quickly refitted as we integrate future technology. Unfortunately the modular design, which allows this change of focus, is also the primary reason why the workshop will not be as effective as a dedicated assembly line. However we feel this is a fair sacrifice to make in order to be flexible.

Once the research department provides the blueprints for a prototype and the manufacturing room provides the custom components, the workshop's Machine and Electronics Rooms are used to complete the project. Extra raw materials are provided as needed from the Materials Room residing in the upper floor. When the project is complete, it is usually transferred to the General Storage for safekeeping.

In the case of armament such as armor and weapons, the Engineering Workshop also provides a testing area where prototypes can be tested and recalculated. It includes explosion chambers, particle- and radiation-shielded rooms and of course a firing range, which also serves as a backup training range for new recruits who are not familiar with new technology.

"Yeah sure, I originally though it was a good idea to let [X-Corps] make their own stuff. Then I saw the workshop crew and changed my mind." - Dimitri Michael, CoE.

In the case of armament such as armor and weapons, the Engineering Workshop also provides a testing area where prototypes can be tested and recalculated. It includes explosion chambers, particle- and radiation-shielded rooms and of course a firing range, which also serves as a backup training range for new recruits who are not familiar with new technology.

Such area won't fit a bit better in the laboratories? I'm a scientist, so I know 50 scientists would be happier to spare their 225 square meter place for all that equipment when compared with 50 busy technicians.

I hope they work in several shifts, some come, some go, during the 24 hour period. But I don't know, maybe you can tell how long are those shifts.

Well, the text looks pretty nice, I hope it will move soon to completed

Oi, back from the dead to check my replies :)

I didn't see much changes other than cosmetic stuff. This version should be considered completed.

Excellent work Historian, completed  =b

*bestows dipstick's and Azrael's blessing upon the text*

So what will happen with Moriarty's addition/corrections? Will it still contain that part that it's probably better in the laboratories?

Edited by dan2

Because I'm hard-headed and don't want to see my last two hours wasted...

I'll go with your version, Moriarty. :)

(just noticed the original author is back!) Hey Historian!  Welcome back!  Though I haven't met you before, I hope we'll get along and that you don't mind my proofreadings and suggestions. :)

(oh no, Az has posted...) Um, (meekly raises hand) I've been, er, a bit thorough in this proofreading... uh... (hides)

(er, the thread got moved because I took too long. :( )

The usual stuff: Red text indicates additions, orange text indicates deletions, and blue text indicates comments or suggestions.

Added [brackets], capitalizations of the word "Alien", and British spellings replaced by American ones are not denoted.

[WORKSHOP]

X-Net://Pegasus.Net/Facilities/[Workshop]

"Please do be careful Double-oh-Seven. That simple pencil you see has a autogyro powerful enough to demolish a small building" - Robert Asley, slightly deranged X-Corps technician

Initial reports by the research department consider it highly probable that recent breakthroughs and perhaps future research of Alien technology will soon allow us to create new weapon prototypes and advanced equipment. Unfortunately, since the existing installations are insufficient inadequate for such a task, the [Workshop Facility] has been designed ...to meet our technical needs?.

Depending on how the X-Corps organizational scheme turns out, "research department" may be capitalized or replaced with another term.

The X-Corps [Workshop] has the standardized fifteen-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for 50 technicians to work in a 24-hour period. This does not account for the space required for assembly area however; larger objects being worked on under construction can limit the number of engineers in each facility working on it.

This facility's equipment is capable of producing cutting-edge devices, and it can be quickly easily refitted as we integrate future technology. Unfortunately, the modular design, which that allows this change of focus, is also the primary reason why the [workshop] will not be as effective as a dedicated assembly line. However, we feel this is a fair sacrifice to make in order to be flexible for the sake of flexibility.

Once After the research department provides completes the blueprints for a prototype and the green light given for its manufacture, custom components are fabricated in the [workshop]'s manufacturing room.  The parts are then transferred to the adjacent and the manufacturing room provides the custom components, the Machine and Electronics Rooms, where they can be assembled with robotic assistance. used to complete the project. Extra Additional raw materials are provided can be requisitioned as needed from the Materials Room residing in the on the [workshop]'s upper floor or directly from the [general stores]. When Once the project is complete, it is the manufactured items are usually transferred to the [General Storage] for safekeeping to free up [workshop] space?.

Added further explanations dispel a bit of vagueness and flesh out the manufacturing process.

In the case of For armaments such as armor and weapons, the [Engineering Workshop] also provides a testing area where prototypes can be tested and recalculated. It includes reinforced? explosion chambers, particle- and radiation-shielded rooms, and of course a firing range, which that also serves as a backup training range for new recruits who are not unfamiliar with new technology technologies.

Although the [Engineering workshop] probably won't be needed much in the first days of your operation, but we're that it will become an invaluable friend once might see little use early on, it will prove invaluable as new non-conventional technologies are developed.

"Yeah sure, I originally though it was a good idea to let [X-Corps] make their own stuff. Then I saw the workshop crew and changed my mind." - Dimitri Michael, CoE. Corps of Engineers?  This term may need to be replaced eventually.

Indeed, I think we should add some stuff.... 1-2 lines about shifts....

I think dan is right, prototypes are always set and tested by scientists! Just see all hi-tech movies :P ;) ^_^

We could even add some text concerning technician training and free time (won't change the gameplay, just nice-2-read text) :)

• 1 year later...

Needs some polishing

WORKSHOP

X-Net://Pegasus.Net/Facilities/Workshop

"Please do be careful Double-oh-Seven. That simple pencil you see has a autogyro powerful enough to demolish a small building" - Robert Asley, slightly deranged XCorps technician

Initial reports by the research department consider it highly probable that recent breakthroughs and perhaps future research of alien technology will soon allow us to create new weapon prototypes and advanced equipment. Unfortunately, since the existing installations are insufficient for such a task, the Workshop Facility has been designed.

The XCorps Workshop has the standardised fifteen-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for 50 technicians to work in a 24-hour period. This does not account for the assembly area however; larger objects being worked on can limit the number of engineers in each facility.

Once the research department provides the blueprints for a prototype and the manufacturing room provides the custom components, the workshop's Machine and Electronics Rooms are used to complete the project. Extra raw materials are provided as needed from the Materials Room residing in the upper floor. When the project is complete, it is usually transferred to the General Storage for safekeeping.

Edited by Azrael

Engineering Facility

X-Net://Pegasus.Net/Facilities/Engineering Facility

Initial estimates by the research department based on recent breakthroughs and initial reports of alien technology show a high probability that we will soon create new weapons and advanced equipment. In order to keep the production of these devices as secret as necessary, the Engineering Facility has been designed.

The XCorps Engineeing Facility has the standard 25-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for 50 technicians to work in a 24-hour period. This does not account for the assembly area however; larger objects being worked on can limit the number of assignable engineers in each facility.

The facility's equipment is capable of producing cutting edge devices, and can be quickly refitted as we integrate future technology. Unfortunately this modular design is also the primary reason why the workshop will not be as effective as a dedicated assembly line. However we feel this is a fair sacrifice to make in order to be flexible.

In order for production of a new device to start, we need four prerequisites:

1) enough engineering space available (calculated as multiples of 1 for easy planning)

2) enough special raw materials (standard materials are available in unlimited quantities)

3) engineers (at least one)

4) a blueprint

Once the research department provides the blueprints for a device, the engineering crew uses the facility's computerized planning system to break it down into machine-work and hand-work. The robotic assembly line and the engineers are assigned their tasks, and assembly begins. As soon as a device is complete, it is usually transferred to the Storage Facility for safekeeping.

The Engineering Facility probably won't be needed much in the first days of your operation but we're certain that it will become an invaluable friend once new non-conventional technologies are developed.

"Yeah sure, I originally though it was a good idea to let X-Corps make their own stuff. Then I saw the workshop crew and changed my mind." - Dimitri Michael, CoE.

hmmm... there's one thing I noticed. for manufacturing of new craft, you need a free hangar. perhaps this should be mentioned in the first text for a new craft? because it doesn't really fit here... at the beginning, you won't even dream of building your own advanced craft.

[EDIT: changed all occurences of "workshop" to "engineering facility" :P ]

image from ART:Baseview Assets thread for reference:

post-29-1055482179.jpg

Edited by Moriarty

hmmm... there's one thing I noticed. for manufacturing of new craft, you need a free hangar. perhaps this should be mentioned in the first text for a new craft? because it doesn't really fit here... at the beginning, you won't even dream of building your own advanced craft.

hmm. You have a point there. Couldn't you try to "encrypt" it somehow? So that one understands it as soon as one gets the first ship entry? Otherwise, I'd like you to think of an additional line for the respective CT.

"If devices have to be constructed that exceed the physical limitations of the workshop, they will be manufactured in parts and assembled on-site." ?

Good. :)

Edited by Mad

red: deletions

blue: comments

Engineering Facility

Initial estimates by the research department based on recent breakthroughs and initial reports of alien technology show a high probability that we will soon create new weapons and advanced equipment. In order to keep the production of these devices as secret as necessary, the Engineering Facility has been designed.

Hmm... Actually I don't like the first sentence that much. Noone would write sth like "There is a high probability we will soon create new weapons and advanced equipment". Maybe just "will surely lead to blueprints for sophisticated weaponry and equipment. In order to..."

The XCorps Engineeing Facility has the standard 25-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for 50 technicians to work in a 24-hour period. However this does not account for the assembly area however; larger objects being worked on can limit the number of assignable engineers in each facility.

The facility's equipment is capable of producing cutting edge devices, and can be quickly refitted as we integrate future technology. Unfortunately this modular design is also the primary reason why the workshop will not be as effective as a dedicated assembly line. However repeated use of "However". Maybe Nevertheless we feel this is a fair sacrifice to make in order to be flexible in sake of flexibility?.

In order for production of a new device to start, we need four prerequisites:

The following prequisites need to be met to start production of new devices:

1) enough engineering space available (calculated as multiples of 1 for easy planning)

2) enough special raw materials (standard materials are available in unlimited quantities)

3) engineers (at least one)

4) a blueprint

I don't think this § is necessary. It doesn't feel authentic.

Once the research department provides the blueprints for a device, the engineering crew uses the facility's computerized planning system to break it down into machine-work and hand-work. The robotic assembly line and the engineers are assigned their tasks, and assembly begins.Tasks are assigned to robotic assambly line and engeneers?

As soon as a device is complete, it is usually transferred to the Storage Facility for safekeeping.

Completed devices are transferred to Storage for safekeeping?

The Engineering Facility probably won't be needed much in the first days of your operation but we're certain that it will become an invaluable friend part of our base? once new non-conventional technologies are developed.

Ya know, there is another reason for having your own private engineering/manufacturing facility that isn't directly obvious but kinds of makes sense. X-Corps is supposed to be secret right? And since they are engaging in a battle, there is also a very high likelyhood that they will need a lot of replacement parts. While minor items like nuts and bolts won't really raise comment, vital parts like say, circuit boards for aircraft guidance systems, radar targetting systems and such would prolly raise some comments if they kept on "disappearing" from stores.

The fact that such a capability can also be used to duplicate alien tech for thier own use is a big plus.

BTW, assembly area feels funny. How about "..doesn't take into account the space taken up by the manufacturing process.."?

next version:

oh, btw, tzuchan: your explanation is cool, but it would mean that a base NEEDS a workshop (otherwise it would slowly fall apart). but in the game, you can have bases without workshops and they work just as well.

Engineering Facility

Recent breakthroughs and initial reports of alien technology will almost certainly lead to blueprints for sophisticated weaponry and equipment. In order to keep the production of these devices as secret as necessary, the Engineering Facility has been designed.

The XCorps Engineering Facility has the standard 25-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for 50 technicians to work in a 24-hour period. However, this doesn't take into account the space taken up by the manufactured objects; larger objects being worked on can limit the number of assignable engineers in each facility.

The facility's equipment is capable of producing cutting edge devices, and can be quickly refitted as we integrate future technology. Unfortunately this modular design is also the primary reason why the workshop will not be as effective as a dedicated assembly line. Nevertheless we feel this is a fair sacrifice in the face of maximum flexibility.

Once the research department provides the blueprints for a device, the engineering crew uses the facility's computerized planning system to break it down into machine-work and hand-work. Tasks are assigned to the robotic assembly line and the engineers, and production begins. Completed devices are transferred to Storage for safekeeping.

During the first days or weeks of our operation, there will probably be little work for the Engineering Facility. Once new non-conventional technologies are developed, however, we are certain that it will become an invaluable part of our bases.

"Yeah sure, I originally though it was a good idea to let X-Corps make their own stuff. Then I saw the workshop crew and changed my mind." - Dimitri Michael, CoE.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Engineering Facility

Recent breakthroughs and initial reports of alien technology will almost certainly lead to blueprints for sophisticated weaponry and equipment. In order to keep the production of these devices as secret and promptly as necessary, the Engineering Facility has been designed.

The X-Corps Engineering Facility has the standard 25-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for a maximum 50 technicians to work in a 24-hour period. However, this doesn't take into account the space taken up by the manufactured objects, as larger objects to be manufactured on can limit the number of assignable engineers in each facility.

The facility was designed with maximum modularity in mind to permit quick refitting and integration of the latest technology. Alas, this feature sacrifices some manufacturing efficiency of the layout, as the latter won't house dedicated and prefab machinery. Nevertheless, this encouragement of flexibility is vital for X-Corps' practical needs.

Once the research department provides blueprints for a device, the engineering crew uses the facility's computerized planning system to break it down into machine-work and hand-work. Production begins once tasks are assigned to the engineers and the robotic assembly line gets programmed. Completed devices are transferred to Storage for safekeeping.

kafros' comment: Ok, but something popped in my mind... Why doesn't X-Corps (XCFF practically, see Funding :P) buy blueprints from foreign "agents" (that means corporations, countries etc) and re-fab them for in-house use? I guess there could be possible security vulnerabilities and/or information leaks... But anyway, they could send it to Research first and then use it :/. What do you think?

The facility can also be used to manufacture conventional technology used by X-Corps to be sold all over the world -or even secret/Alien technology to be sold to XFC-members. Once new non-conventional technologies are developed, it will become a invaluable asset of our bases.

"Please do be careful Double-oh-Seven. That simple pencil you see has a autogyro powerful enough to demolish a small building" - Robert Asley, slightly deranged X-Corps technician

"Yeah sure, I originally though it was a good idea to let X-Corps make their own stuff. Then I saw the workshop crew and changed my mind." - Dimitri Michael, CoE ???.

When I first saw the topic, I had some ideas in mind, which unfortunately where already included in one form or another xD. I may work on them later.

Does this draft need more information? More clarity in descriptions?

When I first saw the topic, I had some ideas in mind, which unfortunately where already included in one form or another xD. I may work on them later.

Does this draft need more information? More clarity in descriptions?

I think there are enough ideas in there. As you wrote, it might be a good idea to explain why X-Corps don't manufacture parts the buy normally. I would say, this is due to the enormous costs. :) You have to pay engineers, you have to buy facilities, you have to buy raw materials etc etc. I would think this all in all is much more expensive than buying the desired item. Since this is so expensive, it is only a good idea for high-tech equipment, where the close proximity and easy communication with R&D is of high benefit (You could think about putting something like this in - but then you'll have to write something about a comlink or sth. like this, since it is possible to build "manufacturing only"-bases. ), and the costs don't matter anymore, since X-Corps wants to keep the blueprints in-house.

As for he text, I think it would benefit from a wide rephrasing. Most of it doesn't match our collective writing style, so this should be fixed. And Maybe either join some paragraphs, or write more to the single ones, since there are a lot of 3 or 4 line ?.

Engineering Facility

Once the research department provides blueprints for a device, the engineering crew uses the facility's computerized planning system to break it down into machine-work and hand-work. Production begins once tasks are assigned to the engineers and the robotic assembly line gets programmed. Completed devices are transferred to Storage for safekeeping.

kafros' comment: Ok, but something popped in my mind... Why doesn't X-Corps (XCFF practically, see Funding :P) buy blueprints from foreign "agents" (that means corporations, countries etc) and re-fab them for in-house use? I guess there could be possible security vulnerabilities and/or information leaks... But anyway, they could send it to Research first and then use it :/. What do you think?

The facility can also be used to manufacture conventional technology used by X-Corps to be sold all over the world -or even secret/Alien technology to be sold to XFC-members. Once new non-conventional technologies are developed, it will become a invaluable asset of our bases.

Starting equipment cannot be manufactured in the original game. I think Mad is on the right track with cost. I doubt an X-Corps manufacturing facility (no matter how large) would be able to fabricate conventional weapons as cheaply as the international community. They have the economy of scale. You don't. Besides, these weapons probably already exist on the open market (at least, that's how I envision it anyway), so ordering large quantities of them are not going to put up a red flag somewhere. Its XCFF's job to hide the paper trail or at least launder the weapons to make them appear as legitimate expenses of a countrys army. ROFL

When you get to the non-conventional weapons and alien artifacts, X-Corps wins. They are able to keep such items under cover due to in-house manufacturing. True, cost may be higher than if you could farm it out to the lowest bidder, but that is offset by the material issues. Non-X-Corps facilities wouldn't have access to the alloys or elerium necessary, so those would have to be shipped to them from your storage. That costs money, and the transport itself could be dangerous or lost. Finally, a lot of time you will never need to manufacture alien weapons/equipment anyway. You can pick them up for free on the battlefield, and use them once researched. :wink1:

- Zombie

Engineering Facility

Recent breakthroughs and initial reports of alien technology will almost certainly lead to blueprints for sophisticated weaponry and equipment. In order to keep the production of these devices as secret and promptly as necessary, the Engineering Facility has been designed. It has the standard 25-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for a maximum 50 technicians to work in a 24-hour period. However, this doesn't take into account the space taken up by the manufactured objects, as larger objects to be manufactured will limit the available space and thus the number of assignable engineers.

The facility was designed with maximum modularity in mind to permit quick refitting and integration of the latest technology. Alas, this feature sacrifices some manufacturing efficiency of the layout, as the latter won't house dedicated and prefab machinery. Nevertheless, this lack of manufacturing support won't be a drawback, as the costs of conventional technology would be enormous and mass-production would be impossible anyhow. If such a supply is needed, it should be bought via the XCFF and transferred to X-Corps bases. Not only the costs will be far lower, but the delivery will be rapid, covering the bases' demands as needed.

Once the research department provides blueprints for a device, the engineering crew uses the facility's computerized planning system to break it down into machine-work and hand-work. Production begins once tasks are assigned to the engineers and the robotic assembly line gets programmed. Whenever further guidance or elucidation concerning the blueprints is needed, the engineers are able to directly communicate with the R&D via integrated com-links, thus ensuring the best possible quality and efficiency of the manufacturing process. Once the production is completed, it gets transferred to Storage for safekeeping.

R&D trusts that the facility will be most valuable once Alien artifacts are researched and their workings understood and manufacturable. As X-Corps should be the only proprietor of such blueprints, in-house manufacture will provide security, elimination of production transporting and efficient manufacture.

"Please do be careful Double-oh-Seven. That simple pencil you see has a autogyro powerful enough to demolish a small building" - Robert Ashley, slightly deranged X-Corps technician.

"Yeah sure, I originally thought it was a good idea to let X-Corps make their own stuff. Then I saw the workshop crew and changed my mind." -Dmitri Michael, CoE.

"If devices have to be constructed that exceed the physical limitations of the workshop, they will be manufactured in parts and assembled on-site."

I guess this idea was dropped?

Edited by kafros

Engineering Facility

Recent breakthroughs and initial reports of alien technology will almost certainly lead to blueprints for sophisticated weaponry and equipment. In order to keep the production of these devices as secret and promptly as necessary, the Engineering Facility has been designed. It has the standard 25-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for a maximum compliment of 50 technicians to work in a 24-hour period. However, this doesn't take into account the space taken up by the manufactured objects, as larger objects to be manufactured will limit the available space and thus the number of assignable engineers. Devices that exceed the physical limitations of the workshop, will be manufactured in parts and assembled on-site.

The facility was designed with maximum modularity in mind to permit quick refitting and integration of the latest technology. Alas, this feature sacrifices some manufacturing efficiency of the layout, as the latter won't house dedicated and prefab machinery. you'll have to clarify this sentence, i don't completely get what you want to say, though I could guess it... ;) Nevertheless, this lack of manufacturing support won't be a drawback, as the production costs of conventional technology would be enormous and mass-production would be impossible anyhow. If such a supply is needed, it should be bought via the XCFF and transferred to X-Corps bases. Not only will the costs will be far lower, but the delivery will be rapid, covering the bases' demands as needed.

Once the research department provides blueprints for a device, the engineering crew uses the facility's computerized planning system to break it down into machine-work and hand-work. Production begins once tasks are assigned to the engineers and the robotic assembly line gets programmed. Whenever further guidance or elucidation concerning the blueprints is needed, the engineers are able to directly communicate with the R&D via integrated com-links, thus ensuring the best possible quality and efficiency of the manufacturing process. Once the production is completed, it the product gets transferred to Storage for safekeeping. or better: "Once the product is completed, it is transferred to Storage for safekeeping"

R&D trusts that the facility will be most valuable once Alien artifacts are researched and their workings understood and manufacturable. As X-Corps should be the only proprietor of such blueprints, in-house manufacture will provide security, elimination of production transporting and efficient manufacture.

"Please do be careful Double-oh-Seven. That simple pencil you see has a autogyro powerful enough to demolish a small building" - Robert Ashley, slightly deranged X-Corps technician.

"Yeah sure, I originally thought it was a good idea to let X-Corps make their own stuff. Then I saw the workshop crew and changed my mind." -Dmitri Michael, CoE. what's a CoE?

"If devices have to be constructed that exceed the physical limitations of the workshop, they will be manufactured in parts and assembled on-site."

I guess this idea was dropped?

nope :) Just think of the crafts... :)

• 4 weeks later...
Engineering Facility

Recent breakthroughs and initial reports of alien technology will almost certainly lead to blueprints for sophisticated weaponry and equipment. In order to keep the production of these devices as secret and promptly as necessary, the Engineering Facility has been designed. It has the standard 25-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for a maximum compliment of 50 technicians to work in a 24-hour period. However, this doesn't take into account the space taken up by the manufactured objects, as larger objects to be manufactured will limit the available space and thus the number of assignable engineers. Devices that exceed the physical limitations of the workshop, will be manufactured in parts and assembled on-site.

The facility was designed with maximum modularity in mind to permit quick refitting and integration of the latest technology, although it prohibits the use of bulky machines and a specific layout, thus sacrificing some manufacturing efficiency. Nevertheless, this lack of heavy manufacturing support won't be a drawback, as the production costs of conventional technology would be enormous and mass-production would be impossible anyhow. If such a supply is needed, it should be bought via the XCFF and transferred to X-Corps bases. Not only will the costs be far lower but delivery will also be rapid, covering the bases' demands as needed.

Once the research department provides blueprints for a device, the engineering crew uses the facility's computerized planning system to break it down into machine-work and hand-work. Production begins once tasks are assigned to the engineers and the robotic assembly line gets programmed. Whenever further guidance or elucidation concerning the blueprints is needed, the engineers are able to directly communicate with R&D via integrated com-links, thus ensuring best possible production quality and manufacturing efficiency. Once the product is completed, it is transferred to Storage for safekeeping.

"Yeah sure, I originally thought it was a good idea to let X-Corps make their own stuff. Then I saw the workshop crew and changed my mind." -Dmitri Michael, CoE.

I googled it and it seems it means "Chief of Engineers" (among maaaaany other things)

Edited by kafros

Engineering Facility

Recent scientific? breakthroughs and initial reports of alien technology will almost certainly lead to blueprints for sophisticated weaponry and equipment. In order to keep the production of these devices as secret and promptly as necessary, the Engineering Facility has been designed. It has the standard 25-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for a maximum compliment of 50 technicians to work in a 24-hour period. However, this doesn't take into account the space taken up by the manufactured objects, as larger objects will limit the available space and thus the number of assignable engineers. Devices that exceed the physical limitations of the workshop, will be manufactured in parts and assembled on-site.

The facility was designed with maximum modularity in mind to permit quick refitting and integration of the latest technology, although it prohibits the use of bulky machines and a specific layout, thus sacrificing some manufacturing efficiency. Nevertheless, this lack of heavy manufacturing support won't be a drawback, as the production costs of conventional technology would be enormous and mass-production would be impossible. If such a supply is needed, it should be bought via the XCFF and transferred to X-Corps bases. Not only will the costs be far lower but delivery will also be rapid, covering the bases' demands as needed.

Once the research department provides blueprints for a device, the engineering crew uses the facility's computerized planning system to break it down into machine-work and hand-work. Production begins once tasks are assigned to the engineers and the robotic assembly line gets programmed. Whenever further guidance or elucidation concerning the blueprints is needed, the engineers are able to directly communicate with R&D via integrated com-links, thus ensuring best production quality and manufacturing efficiency. Once the a? product is completed, it is transferred to Storage for safekeeping.

R&D trusts that the facility will be most valuable once Alien artifacts are researched and their workings understood and manufacturable reproducable? (workings can't be manufacturable... :) ). As X-Corps should be the only proprietor of such blueprints, in-house manufacture will provide security, elimination of production transporting and efficient manufacture.

"Please do be careful Double-oh-Seven. That simple pencil you see has a autogyro powerful enough to demolish a small building" - Robert Ashley, slightly deranged X-Corps technician. I'm not sure, but I think this would only benefit from removing the name... :)

Edited by Mad
removed link...

Engineering Facility

Recent scientific breakthroughs and initial reports of alien technology will almost certainly lead to blueprints for sophisticated weaponry and equipment. In order to keep production of such devices secret and prompt, the Engineering Facility has been designed. It has the standard 25-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for a maximum compliment of 50 technicians engineers? to work in a 24-hour period. However, this doesn't take into account the space taken up by the manufactured objects, as larger objects will limit the available space and thus the number of assignable engineers. Devices that exceed the physical limitations of the workshop, will be manufactured in parts and assembled on-site.

kafros' comment:: technicians? engineers? mechanics?

Technician: One whose occupation requires training in a specific technical process: an electronics technician; an automotive technician.

Engineer: a person trained and skilled in the design, construction, and use of engines or machines, or in any of various branches of engineering: a mechanical engineer; a civil engineer.

Mechanic:1.a person who repairs and maintains machinery, motors, etc.: an automobile mechanic.

2.a worker who is skilled in the use of tools, machines, equipment, etc.

The facility was designed with maximum modularity so as to permit quick refitting and integration of the latest technology, although it prohibits the use of bulky machines and a specific layout, thus sacrificing some manufacturing efficiency. Nevertheless, this lack of heavy manufacturing support won't be a drawback, as the production costs of conventional technology would be enormous and mass-production would be impossible. If such a supply is needed, it should be bought via the XCFF and transferred to X-Corps bases. Not only will the costs be far lower but will also be guarantee rapid delivery, covering the bases' demands as needed.

Once the research department provides blueprints for a device, the engineering crew uses the facility's computerized planning system to break it down into machine-work and hand-work. Production begins once tasks are assigned to the engineers and the robotic assembly line gets programmed. Whenever further guidance or elucidation concerning the blueprints is needed, the engineers are able to directly communicate with R&D via integrated com-links, thus ensuring best production quality and manufacturing efficiency. Once a product is completed, it is transferred to Storage for safekeeping.

R&D trusts that the facility will be most valuable once Alien artifacts are researched and their workings understood and reproducable. As X-Corps should be the only proprietor of such blueprints, in-house manufacture will provide security, elimination of production transporting and efficient manufacture.

"Please do be careful Double-oh-Seven. That simple pencil you see has a autogyro powerful enough to demolish a small building"

- Robert Ashley, slightly deranged X-Corps technician.

"Yeah sure, I originally thought it was a good idea to let X-Corps make their own stuff. Then I saw the workshop crew and changed my mind."

-Dmitri Michael, CoE.

(hihihi the link was the "insert list" button-image in the editor :))

Any new ideas?

Edited by kafros

• 1 month later...
Engineering Facility

Recent scientific breakthroughs and initial reports of alien technology will almost certainly lead to blueprints for sophisticated weaponry and equipment. In order to keep production of such devices secret and prompt, the Engineering Facility has been designed. It has the standard 25-meter square footprint, and provides enough space for a maximum compliment of 50 engineers Engineers is the word to go from my POV, since we are building new machinery here and the R&D blueprints might need some polish here and there to work in a 24-hour period. However, this doesn't take into account the space taken up by the manufactured objects, as larger objects will limit the available space and thus the number of assignable engineers. Devices that exceed the physical limitations of the workshop, will be manufactured in parts and assembled on-site.

The facility was designed with maximum modularity so as is this really necessary? to permit quick refitting and integration of the latest technology, although it this? prohibits the use of bulky machines machinery? and a specific layout, thus sacrificing some manufacturing efficiency. Nevertheless, R&D feels that this lack of heavy manufacturing support won't be a drawback, as the production costs of conventional technology would be enormous and mass-production would be impossible. If such a supply is needed, it should be bought via the XCFF and transferred to X-Corps bases. Not only will the costs be far lower but will also will rapid deliverybe guaranteed rapid delivery[/color], covering the bases' demands as needed.

Once the research department provides blueprints for a device, the engineering crew uses the facility's computerized planning system to break these it down into machine-work and hand-work jobs?. Production begins once tasks are assigned to the engineers and the robotic assembly line gets programmed. Whenever further guidance or elucidation concerning the blueprints is needed, the engineers are able to directly communicate with the blueprint providing? R&D facility? via integrated com-links, thus ensuring best production quality and manufacturing efficiency. Once a product is completed, it is transferred to Storage for safekeeping.

R&D trusts that the facility will be most valuable once Alien artifacts are researched, and their workings understood and reproducable. As X-Corps should be the only proprietor of such blueprints, in-house manufacture will provide security, elimination of production transporting and efficient manufacture.

"Please do be careful Double-oh-Seven. That simple pencil you see has a autogyro powerful enough to demolish a small building"

- Robert Ashley, slightly deranged X-Corps technician.

"Yeah sure, I originally thought it was a good idea to let X-Corps make their own stuff. Then I saw the workshop crew and changed my mind."

-Dmitri Michael, CoE.