XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Hack Hack...

(ME FIRST)

Xenocide is hacking alot. Proberly 6 secunds from when i move the mouse. How can it be helped?

Can you explain a little further? If you are meaning that it is very slow loading... you are right, but i have to read all textures, etc... from the start (to make it work faster then)... In some time i will implement a defered loading technique for textures and models, but dont have time for that kind of optimization work right now... i want to finish so i can freeze my thesis and release the geoscape and engine source...

Greetings

I mean that it takes 6 seconds to load the next possision of the mouse. It does not run smooth.

It has a Geforce2MX card, and has 900 MHz. It has 22.5 Giga bytes free, and 14.7 used. The thing in devX that has to be turned off to get X-com to work, is off. Anything else you want to know?

I have not used to feedback. it is no error. It is just darn slow.

-32 i think.

-I have XP not 2000

-I did that, when i read the FAQ through. No change.

-I CAN move the mouse (slow, but i can) but yes, i can't click at anything. Thought it was not made yet.

When i, after a cuble of minnutes or so, finally press any of the buttons, nothing happens. I also took notice, that the little green (i hope that i am not moving arround with the base :freak: ) dot acts strange, and are hard to handle. Once i pushed my Logitech wireless mouse a bit forward, and it moved to the right. I moved back, same dirrection, and it ended at the bottom right corner. But after a while, i got it under control.

It is really strange... did it has activated the FPS counter on the left bottom??? if its activated, tell me how much does it sais... if not i will activate it for the next release and we will see, the problem is that the codebase to that demo had changed a lot (it was almost 4 months ago)... but not the visible functionality... :(

One last question: What DirectX you have installed??? Didnt test it on DirectX 9... YET

Greetings

Red Knight

I belive i have the directX 8, and the FPS said 0. I'll try with the mouse. Never thought about that.

You can check to see what version of DirectX you are running by going to the start menu selecting run and type dxdiag.exe then hit OK. In this program you can learn your version of DirectX on the system tab and how much video card memory you have on the display tab. Also if you are getting 0 FPS this would seem to be the reason for the mouse moving strangely. Now why you are getting such a low frame rate with your system specs is another question.

DanW

I have always had relay good FPS in the beta on the 3 systems Iv tested it on (usually running about 60FPS which is the max because its synced with my monitors refresh rate). But I have not had the opportunity to test it on a GF2MX or on XP.

By the way what driver version are you using for your video card and have you played counter strike lately?

I have old drivers, i will update to see what happend cause i have a GeForce 2 MX 400 64 and Windows XP... and believe me it works fine here... I think Micah will post the new pre-alpha in 4 or 5 hours, he had to go to work after i send it to him...

Greetings

Red Knight

Have you tried going into the display properties (right-click desktop, properties, or start, settings, control panel, display properties,) clicking the settings tab, going to Advanced, and then the Troubleshooting tab, and making sure hardware acceleration is on full? If it's not, that would probably be why. When you disable that acceleration (which is separate from the DXDIAG setting, I do believe,) your computer will noticeably slow down, and any application using DirectX will be sluggish, usually to the point of not being useable.

Barring that, make sure your drivers are up to date, and make sure they're all set for performance settings instead of quality. If you believe your mouse is the problem, which it could be, please state the brand of your mouse, and whether it's a USB, PS/2 or Serial mouse. There may be some settings that came with your mouse driver that could interfere with the mouse's operation in Xenocide.

Aside from that, I have no idea why this would happen, and I have no idea how to remedy it, as I am not familiar with Windows XP at all (I loathe it.) Personally, I'm using a P4 1.5GHz w/392MB PC-133 SDRAM, GeForce4 MX-440SE 64MB, running Win2k Server Edition, and I get a constant 30 FPS (fluctuates down to 29 a bit.) The buttons don't work for me (I click them, and they change to their on state, but nothing more happens than that. Clicking options crashes to desktop,) so I'm guessing that I, too, have a problem. This one's probably due to my video card, however, or more likely the fact that I'm running Win2k.

The buttons don't work for me (I click them, and they change to their on state, but nothing more happens than that. Clicking options crashes to desktop,) so I'm guessing that I, too, have a problem. This one's probably due to my video card, however, or more likely the fact that I'm running Win2k.

That is not a problem. If you read the installation notes text file that comes with the alpha, you will see that we have not implemented any of the menu functions yet. Also, the options button is meant to exit to the desktop (successfully terminating the program) because we haven't completely planned the items that will make up the options menu.

I hope you can help mikker. Your assistance is welcome and appreciated.

I have WinXP and a Geforce4 mx440 64mb and I have no problems, either.

It was on full. Too bad.

There are also something else. When i click on xcomclone (whatever), the screen clicks and looks strange. After some time it enters the game itself.

Well, do you have any special drivers for your mouse? What programs are you running at the same time? If you're using a filesharing program, they take up a LOT of resources, so I recommend you close any and all open programs before running, if you haven't already tried that. Aside from that, you could try downloading NVIDIA's Detonator drivers, if you haven't already done so. They give up to a 25% in performance, anyway, and work on virtually every NVIDIA card since the TNT series (including your GeForce 2,) so why wouldn't you want them?

sounds good. I'm downloading it now.

The programs i have open, is the pathfinder (or whatever it is called on english: the "My computer" icon), and som miscelanius ones, like MSN, firewall, etc. I also got alot else, but i would not call them programs, but rather processors.

Well, do you have any special drivers for your mouse? If you're using a filesharing program, they take up a LOT of resources, so I recommend you close any and all open programs before running, if you haven't already tried that.

I am not quite sure what you mean. filesharing? you mean like ZIP?

I don't use that.

I have a problem. I have installed the ALPHA, and a error window pops up, saying that something does not match it asks to retry, or cancel. Then it leaves the screen look odd.

It looks like:

__

(__)

Mind taking a screenshot? That description is very vague. To do this, press PRINT SCREEN on your keyboard, and then open up paint, press Edit, and then Paste. Then save it as a JPG (XP's Paint can do this, I believe.)

I found out that it looked odd, because it turn down screen resolution to 600X800. I also found out that you have changed the file name from Xcomclone, to Xenocide! Shame on you! i just overwhited! :aliencool:

When i got in, it was still at 0.

Alright, then. What drivers for your video card are installed? The ones that came with it, or did you download them? If you're using the ones that came with it, I strongly urge you to download the Detonator drivers at NVIDIA's website.

EDIT: I reread your post above, and you said you were downloading them. Did you try them yet?

I belive i have used the one that came with it, and i have downloaded the NVIDIA stuff.

I have to ask my father about the drivers. He installed it :D

Well, install those drivers and give it a go. They should work for you right after you restart from installing them. Quite easy; no fooling around. You might also want to try killing your firewall, any antivirus programs you might have running, and all other programs you may have running (don't bother with the processes, as if you shut the wrong ones down, your computer will restart (lousy uncrashable XP. :P))

Alright, if you have the latest version of the drivers, then follow these steps and tell me if it makes a difference.

1) Right-click the desktop and hit Properties.

2) Click the Settings tab, then click Advanced.

3) There should be a tab which has the name of your graphics card on it. Click it. Your display will probably flicker, but that's normal. A small box will slide out to the left side of the window with a bunch of options, which should look like this.

4) Click Performance and Quality Settings. The window should then look like this.

5) Make sure the slider named "Performance - " is set for Application (may also want to try aggressive,) and all anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering are set to off. Disable Texture Sharpening. Click apply.

6) Now go to OpenGL settings. The window should look something like this. If not, then change them so that they look like this. These are the highest performance settings for OpenGL I have come across.

7) Apply any changes, and close the window. Try Xenocide again, and tell me if anything changes.

The perfermence, and quality one is missing!

Look!

(also it is danish if you can't read it. But compere, and the quality bar is missing.)

I have changed the other options though. I acturly had another bar, that was not in yours.

technical.JPG

It works. thanks! i did the other things you told me to, and now it runs like a mouse chased by a cat!

Aside from that, I have no idea why this would happen, and I have no idea how to remedy it, as I am not familiar with Windows XP at all (I loathe it.) Personally, I'm using a P4 1.5GHz w/392MB PC-133 SDRAM, GeForce4 MX-440SE 64MB, running Win2k Server Edition, and I get a constant 30 FPS (fluctuates down to 29 a bit.)

Anthonius It seams that you are running the troubleshooting arround here... excelent, it keeps me working on programming. About your framerate, it way too low for the specs that you have. Maybe Win2K Server is not a good choice for gaming or you are having drivers problems too...

Greetings

Red Knight

I found the source of my problems (and I overclocked my card as well) - It was running in PCI-Compatibility mode (the bloody thing was leeching off my system RAM instead of using its own, and using the slowest possible transfer speeds.) I updated my motherboard chipset's INF files from Intel's website, and it's working in full AGP 4x mode, and the speed is astonishing compared to before :D A steady 40+ in Xenocide now, and 3DMark 2001 runs great (the demo, especially.) So there you have it... Win2k isn't all that bad, but appearantly not as good as WinXP in terms of gaming, which is odd, as they're based on the same kernel. Either way, 2k never slows or crashes, and when you run a webserver like me, that's a good thing. ^_^

Win2K will always be slower than XP in terms of gaming cause the Video Support is outside the OS Kernel... something they corrected in WinXP... all Windows 9x and Millenium had the video support in the kernel, they took it out for the Win2K Release (even though the command interpreter, aka explorer, is almost the same as in W9x and Mil with changes of course).

Greetings

Red Knight