XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Really Bad Luck

hellfire__356

We all have all heard the stories of how one man went on a rambo shooting spree or i killed 10 aliens with a granade and a pistol....

This is for those stories of things that went wrong horribly and then got even worse by terrible shooting, bad throws or bad crossfire as I'm sure there are some gd war stories which just make u want to fire some of ur operatives or just shout at the for being so rubbish :spank:

Start with a story of mine:

A snake man terrorsite early on in my gamin experiance so i wasn't great at the time and one of my men walks round the corner and 3 squares away is a Crysalid. Now this aint good to start with but i had a sargent with most his time units and a heavy plasma :D so there i am nice and cofident thinking, auto fire and 3 squares away will kill him 1 shot............

12 shots later, 3 squares away HE MISSED :cussing: and this is supposed to be a sargent!!!! he supposed to be half decent at least, well no matter i had another person the otherside of the alien so i moved in with a squaddie and open fire with another heavy plasma, 6 shots later my operative managed to MISS and killed my sargent :blink:

Then i ran out of TUs and my person got taken over, that was a VERY bad mission made worse by really bad shooting and luck :wacko:

any other stories? or is it just me who gets bad luck like that

Heh, that sounded bad--but no such luck (no lame pun intended): we all run into inexplicably terrible things in the world of X-Com. Such as how I accidentally brought along HE rounds for my heavy weapons guy's Auto-Cannon, and dusted my entire squad trying to hit a Sectoid 2 squares away with auto-fire. Or that one time when I put a fallen soldier's grenade into my backpack a turn before I realized I'd primed it for a 5-turn delay 4 turns ago. :wacko: The list goes on and on... :)

Just a note: Primed grenades won't explode in your inventory even if the timer has long gone. (except probably in the Amiga or PSX versions, of which I have never played - but this holds true for the PC versions) They'll only explode when they're on the ground and their timer has well gone past.

I've had far too many bad mission that I can't remember any of them. Except in general terms.

I recall once, back when I was just a new player, I was doing incredibly well against the aliens. So well in fact that I thought I'd make a clean sweep.

But disaster struck and a soldier got killed by an alien (often while berserking). After this, for some reason, the entire balance of power tipped drastically and rolled over a few times in the alien's favour. My soldiers just got slaughtered. What's worse was that my soldiers' morale was made so low that even the brave soldiers were starting to go berserk and panic.

The moral of the story is: Don't let overconfidence and big weapons make you lose.

- NKF

Hmm, I've intentionally tried making the grenade explode while in my backpack, but it turns out that you're right--it's impossible. Must have imagined that one or something. :)

And yup--oftentimes, panic is the leading cause of bad luck in X-Com. One minute, you're doing fine, then the next, some little Sectoid starts psi-attacking your guys, and then it's a total free-for-all. Not pretty. Especially when all your most high-ranking, skilled troops start getting shredded in the crossfire. Happened to me more than a dozen or so times...

It's worse if the blaster bomb is yours. Once I got a mission against terror ship with snakemen and chryssalids, I saw a chryssalid not too far, I tarted to get soliders out, only a few (four plus the tank/rocket) and fired the blaster with my soldier at the tail of the skyranger, the stupid soldier shot it badly and the bomb exploded inside the skyranger.

The other case was a sergeant entering a small room when he missed to see a crhyssalid, the next turn it got two squares away, he missed five shoots (or so) and the one or two he hit didn't kill the alien, next turn he got infected and as consequence eight of my remaining ten soldiers got infected.

And I had the worse way to lose my best (and loved, :wub:) soldiers: first mission, a terror ship (I think, but it was too easy), floaters, easy, my squaddie goe to the corner of the left arm, he should to have seen the right corridor and the left. So he tells my Colonel (I had no commander) "clear, go on". So she goes the opposite wall of that piece (the connection between left arm and center of thehip in the base floor) and finds out of TU with a live floater horn in her mouth. Next turn, floater shoots auto, first shoot she survives, second shoot she's still alive :blink: third shoot, she dies.

Next mission, medium scout. The first to arrive is my new colonel, she enters and sees one sectoid)... Damn! that's not enough for a shoot!, I miscalculated the TU consumption from opening the door, the farther she can go is out the UFo just one square behind the door, looking away. Uhm, next turn the alien will go out, and since non of my soldier out there have good reactions it will kill her... Don't worry, this captain is near the door, only five or six squares and can kill the alien... he kills my colonel. :crying: :cussing:

Your own blaster bomb going awry should not happen, maybe you just were'nt carefull enough with your waypoints?

Hmmm... Puny weapons against Chrysalids is understandable, they ARE tough on superhuman...

Miscalculating TUs is... Bad tactics...

I ALWAYS use the "reserve autofire" button, because soldiers (&aliens) will only dish out snapshots when reacting, but having more TUs left will allow them to react quicker, plus if you see an alien you can still autofire him, and this way your soldier will surely be able to TURN AROUND if need be...

Going slowly is the best way to win (unlees there are Psi) :D

What can I say, the captain wanted a promotion... :LOL:

Your own blaster bomb going awry should not happen, maybe you just were'nt carefull enough with your waypoints?

If you aim streight up or down with the waypoint, it goes backwards, or right, or southwest, or whatever, instead of going up or down. This means that if you fire from within the skyranger, it will go streight back towards you.

Yeah, that's a notorious bug introduced by the CE version, wich makes blaster bombs far less dangerous for our guys...

Especially considering that the aliens that have the blaster launchers are leaders or commanders, usually deep inside a UFO or in a base command center where the bomb needs to go down to reach you.

It's easilly gone around by going up or down only in diagonals :D

Nah, always fire from the lone guy back in the craft, in flying armor is even better, and with practice I almost never miss...

It really IS a matter of 3D visualisation... ^_^

Then again, if we can rotate the map around in xenocide, it would make things far easier to see, and life a worse heck for our guys on the receiving end of the blaster bombs :D

I always reserve Tus now, that was my first games.

The blaster launcher, that have happened more than one are not provoked by misplacing of waypoints, it just gets a bit ooff the way, touches the wall of the skyranger, or the wall of the base and booomb! :explode:. Usually when that happens the ball inside the launcher is empty and I have to unload it before reloading. It seems that is the accuracy < 100%

well if its been a long mission and its very intense it is possible for concentration to slip :blink:

Other examples of that are not looking who's in ur LOS and (combined with rookie bad shooting) blasting ur own men instead of aliens, or hitting aliens you can't see by accient :plasma:

Other bad things can be annoying are being in a medium scout and a stray shot hits the elerium pod and making one heck of a bang and u lose the elerium :crying:

Why yes it is.

Other bad things can be annoying are being in a medium scout and a stray shot hits the elerium pod and making one heck of a bang and u lose the elerium.

Not to mention losing some of your men, to boot. Darned volitile explosives!

Actually, power units don't blow up. In TFTD, the Ion Beam Accelerators do blow up and destroy the zrbite, but in UFO, power units will only blow up at the start of the mission, but not during the mission.

- NKF

Hello, being new to this forum and all.

I have recently started playing X-com, so theres not much to tell. Worst hapopening was a squad of 4 setting in ambush around an shot down but intact large floater scout. Killed the only other floater outside, (in a barn loft too :rolleyes: ) and waited for the aliens inside to come to me. It worked for a few turns, then a particularly fast bastard came out, killed 2 of my guys, then went back in. The catch being each trooper was carring a primed grenade in hand set to 0. Needless to say I reloaded after that turn.

Not much, but I am a beginner after all.

*Added*

Assuming its not offtopic, one of the few times I have tried playing TFTD I landed at a Cruise ship terror mission, within 10 turns all my guys were dead by aliens or MC....

Edited by Whitestar_60

Yesterday I posted but now there is not my post. I think after previewing it either the send button didn't work or I forget to press it or I pressed just beside it.

It happened with this layout:

· = soldier

x = soldier with launcher

> < ^ = direction the soldier is facing

--- = walls of the skyranger

D = ramp

__ = filling

1 = waypoint 1

2 = waypoint 2

1 = explosion :naughty:

-------------------

·>·>·>·>·>____DDDDDDDDD

x>1__________2DDDDDDDD

-------------------

But I'll have to take a screenshot. Or maybe now I have to play DOS version (with the windows savegame :) ) it happens no more

Edited by Admiral Harkov

hmmm... Strange.

Then again, I usually put my waypoints as far ahead as possible, as in:

-------------------

·>·>·>·>·>____DDDDDDDDD

x>___________D1DDDDDDD

And I never had any problems this way...

Anyway, I always save before launching, just in case there's a stupid bug... That's a VERY legitimate reason to reload IMHO... ^_^

Just a hint, try surrounding your text images in CODE tags.

|        |   |
|  A       O |  
|___     |___|  __
     \_ _| X  /
     |   |   |
     |       |
     |___|___|

That actually looks terrible...

As for launching the blasters in tight spaces - zig zag. Try not to fly it in straight lines and never make sharp turns around corners.

- NKF

P. S: For those interested in the diagram:- moving to point X will make the camping alien at A move towards you. You will often find it out of TUs in the little room on your next turn. Great time to use short range auto fire - or stunrods. Whichever strike your fancy. This works almost every time.

Edited by NKF

I hate cruise ship terror missions with a passion! It takes forever to find the last alien, who somehow manages to go all guerilla and kill all my men! Phew.

I don't hate them because it's hard to find the last alien. I hate them because the last alien is always a bio-drone alone in a room who doesn't move out of it and shoots everyone that goes in. And ship's walls can take sonic cannons with ease, so opening another way in isn't a solution :cussing:

Yeah, CQC is a tough break, especially when you've got "campers" in narrow meat grinders. It can be a real pain, especially when there are mindless, shambling idiots (civilians) about.

So, NKF's got the AI down so well that he knows where they'll go before they do. That must totally eat the challenge of the game, man. :) And to think that I still get dusted on Superhuman mode every time...

I didn't really need to experiment for this one. The game itself keeps spawns that guard in the large scout so often that I started to notice a little pattern. Most of us would charge right up the right passage and get our soldiers blown to bits by that alien. I know I sent many a soldier to his or her doom like a lemming - many times even after I knew what would happen. ;)

But then I noticed that whenever I moved up the other passage and waited in one of the corners, the alien would always start walking towards you. And the alien would often end up exhausting itself by the time your turn starts.

I tested it again and again and it worked every time.

So now my method of clearing out intact large scouts is to just let all the mobile aliens leave the ship and then send in one soldier to deal with the guard in the command deck. Boring, but effective.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

there was one perticular bad mission, not sure quiet went on but

it was against an ethil ship, farm scape

carnage, shot people in the back, got snipered, grenaded, stunned

and finally MC'd

(there are some stupid ones where I load the mission even though I have no weapons... pritty daft really :P)

Guest alex the greater

my worst situation

teror mission

sceloids

night

hobes' modifed city map

my hwp had found some aliens holed up in a cinama

so i sent my men to clear it out

than the mind countrol happened while i was half way to the cinama

i had to shoot 2 of my men

and then came the cyberdisks

thay wer E V R Y W H A R E

"fall back men fall back!"

but thay wouldent fall back thay cept panicing and geting MCd

and my men got shoot one by one on the steps of the skyranger

now i just land a teror sites and take of as soon as i land so i only louse 400 or so points

Edited by alex the greater

That one reminded me of the old fashioned "Never give up, never surrender!" for that one zany parody that Tim Allen was in.

In any event... hmm... bad situations made worse.

Well, the closest thing to a bad situation made worse is when I had forgotten to equip my base defense troops in Africa with Power Suits.

6 men, 6 laser rifles, vs. Battleship full of Sectoids.

The result: MIND CONTROL! MIND CONTROL!

And so, they killed each other, and the one guy that didn't get mind controlled in that way was shot by a cyberdisc.

It is now impossible for me to get a base set up in Africa for any substantial length of time. It always gets nailed by the aliens before the living quarters is finished.

Or at least... it was in that play of the game. I am now in the finishing part of Terror from the Deep (and I get the impression I'll want to go in with 3 displacers and 14 troops, not 10 troops and 4 displacers.)

• 3 weeks later...

Well after playing some more ufo defence I had another bad luck situation

I was raiding a Muton base, now as you should know this is never fun at the best of times <_< I manage to get into the command centre and I see a muton and i have a heavy plasma with my rock hard officer ^_^

6 shots and 5 hits later (from 3 people) he dies and Im now thinking the worst is over

I press turn and what comes zipping round the corner? a blaster bomb :blink:

3 officers dead and 2 squaddies then a rookie panics with a heavy plasma and kills one of my people :crying:

Not a good mission I have to say,

Sometimes I wish x-com could buy a coupla nukes and drop them on those bases ^_^