XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - IDEAS - Music-Project Standard Perspectives

ATeX

Ok guys,

I'm going to need a little push into the right direction as I'm about to start on the main theme of Xenocide, which will be used for variations in all other compositions. Feel free to say anything about the next points.

MAIN THEME

--------------

* I think that so far everyone agrees for the use of an orchestral palette? eventually in combination with some other digital sounds.

* A combined style of Gustav Holst (Mars), Hans Zimmer and more digital effects would fit in most. Something very much like "Hollywood style".

* The repetitive bassline from UFO:DEFENSE would be a perfect base and should be used

THE REST

-----------

Menu music should be more on the background, not getting full attention. A good example could be the menu music of the game "Aliens vs Predator 2". Shortly said, a creepy ambient track with sfx and not too much melody. Just giving a real scifi-feeling. The 3-levels stated beneath explain very well what I mean.

* The main theme should only be used in movies and storylines in order to keep the creepy feeling during the game and avoid getting the feeling of playing an adventure game. Xenocide is a creepy game, not an adventure.

* There are 3 levels of music:

- Storylines and movies: complete main theme with full orchestral palette and almost no sfx (more adventurous music)

- GeoScape, Base View, etc: well balanced use of main theme and sfx (less orchestral, mostly calm ambient music, more sfx)

- BattleScape, UFO interceptions, etc: no use of main theme, almost all sfx (creepy or rough music)

That's about it for now. Any comments? Feel free to mention examples of what you guys had in mind, the more examples, the clearer the idea, the better the music will fit what you had in mind.

Greets,

ATeX

I am with you in the main theme part, but i think geo and base view should have more than ambient music as they are more ease parts of the game. People should have a chance to relax awhile, before another nerve wrecking terror site :) .

Good luck with the main theme