Dismantle All Large Radar For Hyper Wave Decoder?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chryssalid_*

Guest_Chryssalid_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2003 - 01:07 PM

Hi,

I just stumbled upon the unofficial UFO: Enemy Unknown (XCOM1) strategy guide (found here) and noticed the following paragraph:

Each radar has a 5 percent chance of detecting an UFO
within its detection radius (just like the UFOpedia says),
so you don't need both small and large radars, just large
will do (unless you run out of money!).  Ten radars means
50% chance of detection, etc.

Later you can replace all the radars with ONE hyperwave
decoder. One of those detects 100% UFOs in range.

Dismantle the radars to save on maintainence (see 5.4)

Is this true?? If it is, why didn't I know it? I'm sure I read the manual about a thousand times and the Ufopaedia doesn't mention it... :wacko:

Regards,

Chryssalid

#2 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 01:26 PM

Yes, one hyperwave decoder detects 100% of all ufos in range (and range is greater than that of large radar) so the only reason not to use hwd is lack of money.

You should register to the forums to get access to the rest of the forums such as xcom 1 strategy/tactics (coincidentially where this should probably be moved, j'ordos)
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2003 - 01:37 PM

Yes, one hyperwave decoder detects 100% of all ufos in range (and range is greater than that of large radar) so the only reason not to use hwd is lack of money.

:Blush: Well I'm gonna convert all my bases right away :-)

You should register to the forums to get access to the rest of the forums such as xcom 1 strategy/tactics (coincidentially where this should probably be moved, j'ordos)

Oops, hadn't seen that subforum while browsing. I'll be sure to register though :-)

Both Chryssalids AND Lobstermen taste good with butter? What a great deal!

In your dreams, I taste like absolute shuckeroonies! ^_^

#4 Guest_Chryssalid_*

Guest_Chryssalid_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2003 - 01:40 PM

PS: What I forgot to ask, where did you learn about this? 'Cause I'd never read before... Or is it from the official strategy guide? (never picked it up <_< )

#5 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 01:50 PM

I learned from others on these forums, and noticing that I catch a huge amount of ufos when I use the hwd compared to the large radar. I believe a study was done at some point and it was decided that the hwd detected all ufos in range. Or people looked in the game files for the answer :)
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

Posted Image

#6 Chryssalid_

Chryssalid_

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 02:01 PM

I learned from others on these forums, and noticing that I catch a huge amount of ufos when I use the hwd compared to the large radar. I believe a study was done at some point and it was decided that the hwd detected all ufos in range. Or people looked in the game files for the answer :)

OK, thanks again! And, as you can see, I'm a registered chryssalid now! :wink:

#7 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 02:15 PM

Aaaahh nnoooooooooo!!!! Kill It!! Kill it now!!! :uzzi:
Sorry, fell back to my xcom1 days for a moment :wink:

Right, Cpl, why don't you go on and give Stewart some more posts, you know you want all three of the XCOM1 forums (would make my job definitely a lot easier ^_^ ), but for now I'll move this to Strategy and Tactics...
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#8 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 04:32 PM

Hmm, you are pretty right about me wanting all three xcom 1 forums J'ordos. :)
Unfourtnately I can't afford 2000 more posts lost without losing my colonelship. (I won't be commander for long I hope- The bugs and stewart always seem to target them first. :))

Posted Image

#9 Extralucas

Extralucas

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 06:05 PM

That's probably impossible to perform, but how about persauding Stew to make every commander GBM or at least let him choose some forums he wants to lead. (Technically Commander is the one who dedicated more then others of himself to keep forums global post-count raising...)
I'm not back. I'm just dropping by.

#10 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 06:20 PM

Yes, but with whose benefit in mind, the forum?... or the member-wanting-to-be-commander? :P
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#11 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 08:46 PM

I don't want to be the commander. In fact, if my bribe doesn't go through, I will donate some posts to the Jim Gambling fund.

Posted Image

#12 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 09:27 PM

That's probably impossible to perform, but how about persauding Stew to make every commander GBM or at least let him choose some forums he wants to lead. (Technically Commander is the one who dedicated more then others of himself to keep forums global post-count raising...)

Yeah right.
Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.

#13 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,528 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 09:31 PM

Hmm, you are pretty right about me wanting all three xcom 1 forums J'ordos. :)
Unfourtnately I can't afford 2000 more posts lost without losing my colonelship. (I won't be commander for long I hope- The bugs and stewart always seem to target them first. :))

You gotta bid sonny!
Posted Image

#14 Guest_Jim69_*

Guest_Jim69_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:42 PM

I don't want to be the commander. In fact, if my bribe doesn't go through, I will donate some posts to the Jim Gambling fund.

I'm always looking for more funds:

*rattles coffee cup with a few coppers inside*

Spare change sir?

#15 dipstick

dipstick

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 06:01 AM

Edit by Cpl. Facehugger: This post is redundant. The fact of the matter is that we may bid for mod positions that miceless left.

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger, 09 October 2003 - 03:35 PM.

Posted Image

#16 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• 10,528 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 03:01 PM

The music forum auction is over. Now the Xcom 1 forums are up for grabs. Do you want in the action? :naughty:
Posted Image

#17 Hoser

Hoser

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:31 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This suprised me, so I tried it in a late game. I dismantled my large radar, built a lot of HWD's (which 'till now I thought were just Alien Enigma devices) and I got significantly fewer UFO's than I've ever got.

Is that normal????? Because when I built radars in the bases later, to check, suddenly I saw much more. (and the base status keeps showing long range detection at 1 w/o LR radar and only HWD)

#18 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 01:36 PM

And now to dispel a couple of myths and confuse people with a bit of the inside workings of the game (and to introduce an interesting 'cheat').

First of all, the base information screen regarding the radars is highly erroneous. Though it may list the large and small radars, this does NOT affect the base's ability to detect UFOs. It may look nice to have a full radar bar, but in truth, it has 0 effect on your detection abilities and tracking ranges.

Why? Because you can only make use of 1 of each type of radar at any given time. Any duplicate radar will just be a waste of money, unless you built it for the purpose of using its passageways for base defence.

Every base has three variables for radar detection. I call them Short, Long and Hyperwave detection.

See, A short Radar gives you a 10 point boost in Short detection. A large radar gives you a 20 point boost in Short range detection AND Long range detection. So if you build a short and a long range radar, your Short range detection will be 30 and your long range detection will be 20. The game will only allow a base actually pick up UFOs if one of these three variables is greater than 0.

Any additional radar will not upgrade these values further. A hyperwave decoder adds 100 Hyperwave detection on top of the small and short radar detection abilities. However, hyperwave detection will supersede the other two detection types hence why you don't really need them.

Also, even with multiple radars of the same type, the detection range and the tracking range stays the same. Detection range is how far away the UFO will have to be before you pick it up on radar, and tracking range is how far you can watch a UFO that has been detected until it falls off the radar. Note that UFOs appearing within your radar sweep radius haven't actually been evading your Radars. They were actually get spawned that close to your base. (think of it as them coming in down from space at that point)

And now for the 'cheat'.

The game always recalculates the base's detection abilities every time a radar is built (when the game reports that a Radar was built at base X). But the interesting thing is, the game does not recalculate the radar abilities when you dismantle a radar and pretty much leaves them in. So, in effect, by removing a radar, you'll still get to enjoy its benefits until you build another radar, but without having to pay for the maintenance!

Want to see this in action? Start a brand new game. Build something to connect the left hangar to the base and then dismantle the small radar. Watch in awe as you continue to pick up UFOs! Compare this with building a brand new base and leaving it as - is, the new base will never pick up UFOs.

Now, if you were to build a hyperwave decoder at a base, and then dismantle it the moment it's built, you'll get to continue detecting UFOs with the HWD's wide radar sweep and decode their mission data. But, without having to pay for the maintenence!

Heh it's not that great a 'cheat'. It's only a very minor savings, as money is often not much of a problem by the time you can build lots of HWD's. The only real benefit is to make the base slightly smaller. Small bases are easier to defend, see.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 24 September 2004 - 01:40 PM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#19 Guest_alex the greater_*

Guest_alex the greater_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:20 PM

hwds arnt that great the ufos always learn to avoid it and fly out of range

#20 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:53 PM

They've got the best tracking range of all the radars. The UFOs just aren't going to where the radars are. Just watch your graphs. They do that all the time with the small and large radars.

Of course, one HWD is not enough. You need a network of them so that all your HWDs overlap each other. The UFOs don't always have destinations that lie within your radar detection range.

- NKF

#21 The Master Maniac

The Master Maniac

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 442 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:12 AM

Wow, I can finally build that desperately-needed General Stores now, thanks to that "cheat!" So, you just build a radar/HWD, dismantle it, and you keep its effects? Sweet.

#22 Red Stone

Red Stone

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:27 AM

And now for the 'cheat'.

The game always recalculates the base's detection abilities every time a radar is built (when the game reports that a Radar was built at base X). But the interesting thing is, the game does not recalculate the radar abilities when you dismantle a radar and pretty much leaves them in. So, in effect, by removing a radar, you'll still get to enjoy its benefits until you build another radar, but without having to pay for the maintenance!

- NKF

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you saying that the game only recalculates the detection ability for the specific base everytime a radar is builit in that specific base? @_@ It does not re-calculate the detection ability for all bases, right?

#23 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 01:32 PM

That's right, it only recalculates the radar abilities for the base the radar is being built in.

- NKF