Energy And Light Sources

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:19 PM

I think it would be good that if the power generators of the base where destroyed or deactivated, to have the lights of the base go off, maybe some sort of emergency lights could be in place instead, but visibility could be reduced, adding a little more tension to a base invasion, be it the player's or the aliens'. And without power, the automated defenses would be also offline, with a tech maybe the power could be brough online again, but that would include getting the tech to the power generators. These would be protected of course, but an alien tactic could be to shut the generators off, what of it?

#2 Albino Crow

Albino Crow

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:55 AM

It's interesting, but instead of making a huge paramount thing about it (effecting game strategy), I think it could be used as an 'effect', when your base is invaded. This reminds me of the topic where one of the mods mentioned a few extra physics for the game, for example: On a terror mission you might see a piece of paper get tossed about in the wind, similar to a tumble-weed.

As for your idea, I think it'd be pretty neat to have some form of emergency lights flickering about in the base when the aliens invade to create the necessary atmosphere. This of course would be implemented later on after the bulk of the game is already finished.

#3 Jonaleth Irenicus

Jonaleth Irenicus

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 02:38 PM

What I wonder is why X-Com doesn't have a power facility. I highly doubt we would be relying on any outside organisation for power and none of the facilities have the description of "provides power" in them.

Power facilities would bring a new twist to the game, as they would be important targets in base attacks. You would need to give them good durability though, since if they managed to take out your power facility, your base would be crippled for quite some time.

What if the computer just landed aliens, blasted your power generator and took off? Pretty vengeful computer, no?
Passenger ship terror site, first turn, I open the door of my Triton, there is a Tasoth up on the next floor (his back is facing the screen so I don't know what weapon he has).

One of my guys fire at him, hit, he reaction fires with Thermal Shock Launcher. The whole crew stunned. Mission over.

#4 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 02:57 PM

The base would probably have backup generators, then.

X-Corps bases are built from modules. Maybe things like power generation, air circulation, etc. are already included with the module? They'd all be pretty much self-sufficient that way.

There are also ways to hook up to the power grid, without using any wires. I read an article a while back, where a guy powered hundreds of flourescent bulbs just by putting them under high-voltage lines. Similar methods could be used to provide power to an X-Corps base.

Fuel cells are another possibility. They can be made any size, no noise, and have no moving parts. One version uses propane to extract the hydrogen. Another uses raw hydrogen. Both could be included with the module, and be paid for by maintenance.

LED lights are the next phase in lighting. You've probably seen stop lights that are made of dozens of little bulbs, those are LEDs. They are so efficient, a module could be lighted by no more than a few hampsters on wheels. Or a few D batteries, whatever. :rolleyes:

I like the idea of emergency lights. It would make a good atmosphere on base attacks.
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#5 UnknownWarrior

UnknownWarrior

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 04:09 PM

I would think that X-Corps would have more than one way to get power, though I think dim lighting and flickering lights would be cool
I don't come here often
I am starting to like these forums

#6 Jonaleth Irenicus

Jonaleth Irenicus

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 04:41 PM

I could accept the "comes with module" thing for air circulation and other stuff, but most strategy games still stick to "power generator thingy" in some way, and they make good strategical targets.

Oh wait, do this for alien bases too. Like, a new entry in the Alien Tech part of the UFOpedia tells you of the alien power generators for bases, and when you enter an alien base, if you blow them up, you've cut off their power.
Passenger ship terror site, first turn, I open the door of my Triton, there is a Tasoth up on the next floor (his back is facing the screen so I don't know what weapon he has).

One of my guys fire at him, hit, he reaction fires with Thermal Shock Launcher. The whole crew stunned. Mission over.

#7 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 05:14 PM

You don't want to destroy the base's power supply. You want to siphon off the xenium for your own use.

Excuse me, Xenium.

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger, 16 March 2004 - 05:15 PM.

I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#8 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:15 AM

You don't want to destroy the base's power supply. You want to siphon off the xenium for your own use.

Excuse me, Xenium.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, they have it in alien bases, and we'd need it too!!
Great tactical target, and great effects with lights if it's hit :LOL:
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"