XCOMUFO & Xenocide

I always thought it would be nice to implement holidays in the game...

Here are the reasons not to do this: Too difficult to code, would upset people w/ other beliefs, and last, the game takes place in the world which you would have to implement MANY holidays that are celebrated in other countries

Here are the reasons to do this: You'd get to shoot holiday ornaments (if the holiday has decorations), would just be great to see how it was implemented in the game...

This is a fun suggestion and I put it out there to get peoples brain juices flowing...let me knoiw what you think

Well rev, all we need really are artists willing to make alternate textures for buildings. We are planning to have different textures based on the continent anyways, so you just add some festive goodies for a couple different seasons and label the file appropriately, and when the battlescape is generated the game date can be checked. If it's less than 1 month from a major holiday celebrated in that region, you load the appropriate texture. If not the standard texture is used.

Once we have buildings textured people can make variations to include christmas lights or pumpkins or easter bunny carcasses on the roads or whatever is appropriate to the region. :D

Huuu... *G*

Whould be nice to see a alien terrorattack on a german marksman festival. :devillaugh:

Or on the Cologne carnival. *Kölle Alaaf* :D

Huuu... *G*

Whould be nice to see a alien terrorattack on a german marksman festival. :devillaugh:

Or on the Cologne carnival. *Kölle Alaaf*  :D

That's what I'm talkin bout...I want all the familiar holidays but what I'd really like to see is ones mentioned...put a little comedy to things here and there...I would love to put a bullet in a snowmans head or even an ornamental santa rooftop decoration... :uzzi:

Those ideas would rock, definitely add some fun to the game. I had thought it would be fun to have a terror site at a Star Trek/ X Files convention, would explain why the civs don't all run for cover.

we could crate our own holidays. But we NEEEEEEEED weather diffrences. Its fun to see a GREEN park at winter in north russia. LOL

Those ideas would rock, definitely add some fun to the game. I had thought it would be fun to have a terror site at a Star Trek/ X Files convention, would explain why the civs don't all run for cover.

Here Here!!!...maybe a womens rights convention...just kidding...LOL...I Love all Women... :D

Well, a "rescue santa" mission should be an easter egg, not an actual story mission. Its just that santa is kind of out of theme for xcom. It would make a great easteregg though.

indeed it would.

i agree with the whole idea, the game should have something for the holidays, some kind of easter egg or something. most games these days have and it's always great fun :)

maybe false terror sites/ufos could sometimes show up on April Fools' Day :P

"Radar operator Jenkins! Why did you lead our expensive elerium fueled avenger on a wild goose chase?!?" "Hehehe, it is april fools day sir!"

"Dear Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins, your son died bravely err, defending the base from alien attack! Yeah, thats what happened."

Heh. Actually, I like that idea. :naughty:

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

"Radar operator Jenkins! Why did you lead our expensive elerium  fueled avenger on a wild goose chase?!?" "Hehehe, it is april fools day sir!"

"Dear Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins, your son died bravely err, defending the base from alien attack! Yeah, thats what happened."

Heh. Actually, I like that idea.  :naughty:

Isn't it supposed to be one of those cheesy endings where even though another site was missed and dozens died, all the commanders start laughing with each other? "You got us there, private! Pulled the wool over us, you did!" Private beems with mischievious pride, then heads explodes from the various baseball bats raining down on him from COs. Sorry, had to slip that in there, perfect Leave it to Beaver ending IMO. :devillaugh:

A good april fools egg: You go to the terror site, and when you get there all the aliens run to you yelling "take me, take me now you big hunks!" They get to you, drop to the ground and moan with pleasure, saying "ooh, me so horny, me love you long time!" :blink: When you return to base, the game clock, ammo, and ship fuel all return to normal, maybe a big kiss sound and a picture of a soldier with lipstick all over him with a sectoid in his lap wearing a wig and big fake lips. Text could say, "Take a break soldier, fighting's hard work!" :devillaugh: Muahahaha!!

That is disgusting! It could at least be an etherial! ;) But seriously, kids do frequent this site (and will frequent the game when it is released) so we should at least try and keep it pg13.

That being said however, some sort of april fools joke would be really nice to include.

For easter, you have a chance of being invaded at your base by Alien controled bunnies! :o

They keep going and going and going... :D

seriously though, we should decide on only a few easter eggs like this, because it seems difficult to program and we don't want to overburden our poor chattle (programmers) :)

It would be hard (at least for me) to put the easter bunny, santa clause, and lepricon's* in the game on those SPECIFIC dates. Where is Red Knight where you need him? LOL!

I bow to Red Knight for his genius! :master:

Stand up and dont hurt your back, we need healthy programmers :D... Everything that means more work will be considered after we have something playable... Changing some model wont be difficult after we have those models and the code to load, and manipulate them :D...

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

No, we were planning to use the xenocide in-house slaves... Err, I mean the  Xenocide Programmers. :D

I think we should have our programmers models beating up CplFaceHugger model. :) That would teach him to call us slaves!

Fine. As long as it wouldn't overburden our in-house slav err I mean programmers... :D

Anyway, I am serious about not making our programmers do too much on easter eggs, because we still have to get the rest of the game running... :)

hmmm...

Valentines day with a chrysalid. Hey we wanna keep this at most Parental Guidance. Hehe.

Or maybe we can start painting our blaster bombs like easter eggs. hehe.

A little off topic, but I kinda want to put a bit of goofy humor into the game. Pretty much the same way blizzard put 'em into warcraft and starcraft. The holiday thingie might just be a little of what the doctor ordered on that regard.

UFO detected, very small, very fast. Launching defense SAMS...

*later at the crash site*

Negative ET contact... all that's here is some burned up animal parts, chunks of meat, and a sled with sparkly runners that's on fire. We're packing up and RTB, out.

• 1 month later...

rescue santa would be fun,

also on a new years terrorsite mission all the aliens could be holding beer can/bottles and stumbling around drunk.

:D maybe we could get some money for product placement

• 4 weeks later...

Hehe. Goofy advertising posts... I like that.

Hmmm... here's an idea. If you get a terror mission on Thanks Giving, there will be no civilians anywhere. Just turkeys running around. And I don't mean civilians dressed as turkeys. I mean the whole scenario is stuffed with turkey that you'll have a to take out more than a few to clear some moving room. Same thing with the aliens. That'll be a riot!

Ok, I'm just being really silly.

Edited by warhamster

Product placement is very common in gamebusiness these days. I think that would definitely be a good way to earn some money out of this. Even if they aren't interested in paying for that, they just could let us use their real names here. Should we contact some stores and such to get the permission to use their product/store names in the game? It could make the game more realistic..

• 2 weeks later...

The Dangers of Marketing: A Possible Scenario

And thus, the Wal-Mart greeter was impregnated by the Crysllid, resulting in the death of the staff and customers that once inhabited the great canyons of Wal-Mart 51.

In the end, however, the Xenocide team was destroyed by the counterattack of the Wal-Mart lawyers, their many years of work subverted into a product that was only seen in the bargin bin, only discovered by adventurous gamers who appreciated quality that had great potential, but failed. The End.

Xenocide will never be in the bargain bin! It won't be sold! We're giving it away! Literally!

Anyway, we can have realish sounding names, like Bal-Mart, Murder King, Pourschet, Laguar, umm Bubweiser beer, Marlharo (look kids! Comes with a FREE surgeon general's warning!), etc.

I have a few ideas about some other sites that aliens can attack: Cemetarys(Bring out your dead!), Tokyo(Destroy All Monsters), and perhaps a cathedral?

There are also a few other locals I have been thinking about: An ocean-liner terrorist site, a coastal town(Lighthouse and boats included, and TFTD/UFO enemies), and the Alienware Headquarters(Producers of an excellent line of high-performance computers, from what I hear.)

• 2 weeks later...

"Sir, aliens are attacking Greenpeace demonstration!"

"Let it be, rookie, for once aliens are doing what's good for us!"

Pepsi factory terrror site: all soldiers w/o radiation protection die, so do aliens.

cyberdisks, sectopods, etc. rust over. Chrissalid falls into the tank with pepsi, and the color of the pepsi doesn't change. Paniking soldier runs into the room, filled with dead aliens, freaks out, vomits and dies.

-"commander tommy, look on the radar. this alien pilot is just crazy!"

-"oh, i know this one, i met him at the pub last night. we had too many tequilas... I think ill call the alien police. flying with alcohol is forbidden."

-"but, sir i could just blow him up!"

-"no! i don't want him to crash. i have just made a contract with the aliens. we trade vodka gorbatchow for elerium-115"

on the next mission there were drunk aliens... the ufo crashed willingly...

"Commander Tommy, there is a big comet heading towards our base!"

"No sweat, rookie its Space Pizza's rush delivery. One of the snakemen over interrogation said they have the best stuff in solar system."

Commander Tommy teached his son meaning of the word "euthanasia"-- all the wounded soldiers on the base die.

Commander Tommy went on vacation-- your income doubles for a month, soldier morale decreased 1/4.

Commander Tommy congratulates Scientists with New Year by giving them some trophy alien booze--research progress stops for two weeks.

Commander Tommy falls asleep on the Nuclear control--all alien bases are destroyed along with some of yours.

Commander Tommy has a drinking contest with a floater during a recovery mission--Human-Alien ambassy is established on the Moon.

Commander Tommy gives aliens forty containers of robber women as a cristmas present--alien invasion stops for two months.