XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Dawn City Tournament

Enix

Greetings,

A tournament already has been decided to be hosted using , Dawn City. Rules briefly include Dawn City map along with night visibility, as the title implies. The sign up dates will start from the 10th through the 20th. The actual tournament will begin on the 22nd.

Use version 0.7.1086.

For more details, check here.

There is more details, so I strongly suggest you check out the link before signing up.

Please register for Dawn City tournament here.

Edited by Enix

Hi,

A few suggestions, based on previous tournaments:

1) Add a time limit, like 300 seconds (5 minutes) per turn. Otherwise games might last forever and it's a way of knowing if the other player has lost its connection (if nothing happens after waiting 5 minutes for the other player to complete its turn then there's definitely something wrong)

2) In the event of a crash, crc error, etc., game has to be repeated from the start (to prevent complaints), both player's decision about if it should be the same battlefield or not.

3) Define Explosive Level, Exploration Level, Equipment on the ground option so that less time is spent deciding by the players which of those are used. You might consider using only allowing smoke grenades and no explosives, since night missions are ideal for reaction shooting.

4) The terrain light features of Dawn on 1086 (walls blocking light and so on) are a mess, but I've already fixed those on a new version. I'm also looking to add a few more buildings to Dawn but there should be an upgrade pretty soon.

1) Add a time limit, like 300 seconds (5 minutes) per turn. Otherwise games might last forever and it's a way of knowing if the other player has lost its connection (if nothing happens after waiting 5 minutes for the other player to complete its turn then there's definitely something wrong)

I meant to add a time limit, but unfortunately I forgot to fill in "None" :). 5 minutes sounds feasible.

2) In the event of a crash, crc error, etc., game has to be repeated from the start (to prevent complaints), both player's decision about if it should be the same battlefield or not.

This is true. Would definitely save me from a headache. :)

3) Define Explosive Level, Exploration Level, Equipment on the ground option so that less time is spent deciding by the players which of those are used. You might consider using only allowing smoke grenades and no explosives, since night missions are ideal for reaction shooting.

Explosive level? I do not see this as a rule in the mission planner anywhere. I already defined what you are requesting anyway. Weapon set is defined as "XCOM Modified (no explosvies)". This should remove all explosive items except smoke grenade. Correct me if I am wrong.

As for other rule restrictions, I will add exploration and equipment level on the site.

4) The terrain light features of Dawn on 1086 (walls blocking light and so on) are a mess, but I've already fixed those on a new version. I'm also looking to add a few more buildings to Dawn but there should be an upgrade pretty soon.

I was unaware of the light problems. Perhaps you can upload it here for people to download? I will see to it that I include it on the tournament page for download. I don't want it to update several times if you upload it though. So please double check and test it before uploading here. :)

I was unaware of the light problems. Perhaps you can upload it here for people to download? I will see to it that I include it on the tournament page for download. I don't want it to update several times if you upload it though. So please double check and test it before uploading here. :)

They are minor things that aren't supposed to happen like light going through solid walls. I'd prefer just to add the changes to the repository but if the tournament starts meanwhile I'll make them available.

If you want to play on the tournament I'd be more than happy to be the judge or whatever. Since I've designed Dawn City's buildings I'd have a major advantage over everyone if I played on it :)

They are minor things that aren't supposed to happen like light going through solid walls. I'd prefer just to add the changes to the repository but if the tournament starts meanwhile I'll make them available.

If you want to play on the tournament I'd be more than happy to be the judge or whatever. Since I've designed Dawn City's buildings I'd have a major advantage over everyone if I played on it :)

If there is no release until after the 20th, I would appreciate if you would make them available :). The tournament starts on the 22nd.

As for playing, I prefer to sit out. :) I don't have a lot of time on my hands, barely enough to host a tournament. However, I could use an extra hand as a judge. If you wish to play, by all means do so though! A developer shouldn't have to hold himself back because he made the thing. :)

I've just given a look at the lighting....there are some issues with how the engine blocks light that should be solved or it will look weird (light crossing floors and the units own light crossing walls). Those should be fixed as well.

Just checked the bugtracker...this issue is already present. I'm gonna post a report concerning units' own lighting being blocked by terrain features though.

Edited by Hobbes

Sign me up too. I want to take part in tournament finally, even if I will have to play on map that I played only few times :huh: , with time limit which I don't like ^_^ (but 300sec is OK even for me), and on 6x6 map (i used to play on 5x5 rather than 6x6) :innocent: . Anyway, modified xcom weaponset (no explosives) is very good choice :D - I like no explo games and this set is the only one in official distribution which has got medikits and electroflares (will they be required on 6th level of light-i have to check it). Edited by Intri

Sign me up too. I want to take part in tournament finally, even if I will have to play on map that I played only few times :huh:

Everyone will be at the same level since Dawn City has just only been added to the beta (except me, of course, but i won't be playing :)

Another suggestion I'd make is to change the Scenario type from Deathmatch to Search And Destroy. Dawn City is very well designed for this scenario since there are plenty of places for the 2nd player to hide and with no explosives this could mean a lot of surprises to happen.

On this case it would be better for 2 players to play 2 games, switching from host/client on each game.

EDIT - Me and Kratos just tried a night battle with the same settings. There's simply too many bugs regarding lightning that need to be fixed before a tournament can be hosted with night missions. I've attached the file. Perhaps it's better to change the venue?

Kratosnight.zip

Edited by Hobbes

I'm agree with Hobbes - night fight at Dawn City could be quite buggy. Deathmatch/Search And Destroy scenarios are quite similar and both can be interesting to play.

to Enix: It would be nice if you place current score during the tournament on your website in a way like tournament with version 0.4.1.603 - even if match pairs would be organised in different way (maybe your have already planned it, I just want to make sure).

I'm interested, sign me up.

IMO All game replays should be sent to the tournament moderator for review, here's why:

Last night I was playing a fella named ericthecodeman ( i believe that is his handle - I cant view the HS board right now since the main server is down ) He only played with 3 men ( which I found very strange ). I had killed two of his men during my first turn, then during his turn ( the next turn ) he told me he knew a code that gave you unlimited action points!? at this point he seemed to be walking all around the map ( several of my soldiers at different ends of the map were firing at him with their reserve units ) and I kept getting errors messages.

I had the last laugh however. Thankfully he failed to notice the time limit rule which I added, and his cheating spree eventually came to an end. I was able to locate and kill his last man for the V.

Just thought you should know.

Last night I was playing a fella named ericthecodeman ( i believe that is his handle - I cant view the HS board right now since the main server is down ) He only played with 3 men ( which I found very strange ). I had killed two of his men during my first turn, then during his turn ( the next turn ) he told me he knew a code that gave you unlimited action points!? at this point he seemed to be walking all around the map ( several of my soldiers at different ends of the map were firing at him with their reserve units ) and I kept getting errors messages.

I had the last laugh however. Thankfully he failed to notice the time limit rule which I added, and his cheating spree eventually came to an end. I was able to locate and kill his last man for the V.

Just thought you should know.

I've played with that guy too (week or two ago,maybe more) and it was strange game too. It was short (crash if I remember correctly) but It was the same: 3 men against my 15 (:rolleyes:), some errors messages and that strange feeling that there are more soldiers on other side than it should be.

I hope there won't be any cheating during tournament.

IMO All game replays should be sent to the tournament moderator for review.

I think it should work for that kind of cheating.

Sign me up too... ufo nick Matahl [CZ]

Rectruiting during the match works :D - I hope you will enjoy the tournament as I.

Edited by Intri

For everyone's information: any further replies/references on this thread concerning cheating will be immediately deleted since they are off topic.

Regarding the tournament, a private request has been added on bugtracker to deal with this problem, although if someone tries to use it on multiplayer there will be a lot of CRC errors, which would make the result not valid, according to the rule I proposed above.

Thank you for your attention. Now, let's get back to organizing the tournament :)

Edited by Hobbes

Ok let me settle things straight here.

You guys are all responsible for what you have said so far, I'm not deleting anything for the moment.

Eric, you have the benefits of doubt for the time being, but you must also agree that Hobbes suspicions make a lot of sense according to the circumstances.

Consider yourself under probation and keep out of trouble.

I'm not calling anyone a cheater, however I can tell you all that cheating is NOT tolerated.

Cheater reports should be done by PM to moderators only, not in a public post.

Eric, please tell that "friend of yours" to stop cheating and also to post public excuses on the forum, not in this thread.

I don't want to hear anything else about this here. This is a tournament discussion.

Nachtwolf out.

Edited by nachtwolf

I will be changing some rules concerning this tournament. I haven't been able to update the site lately, so bear with me.

A very big issue at hand is the lighting problems. I have watched Hobbes replay and have done my own investigating. I have come to the conclusion that we will not be using the night system right now. We will be using the brightest lighting level.

The next issue is cheating. To prevent this, if a game played has crc errors, you will restart the match. If you, however, gone through 5 or more matches, I will question both players. Another cheating prevention, I will be asking for a replay of all matches, including bugged ones. If a player refuses to provide a replay, I will immediately disqualify you.

Do not discuss cheating in this thread, please. It sways the topic completely off. If you have a suspicion of a cheater during this tournament, PM me and I will investigate the replay even further. As for cheaters that are irrelevant to this tournament, I ask that you don't bother me with such matters. It's not my duty.

Another note, I am not going to host this tournament with few players. Please notify players on the server of this tournament and have them sign up. My goal is to have, at least, 20 players attending. If I don't get that many players within the next week, I will postpone the start date until the 29th. So far I have:

Azrael

Intri

Kratos

Key-el

clawunf

vozice_09 (aka Matahl [CZ])

Eric, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and allow you to attend. Please note though, I will be watching your replays a bit more thoroughly. If there is no problem, I shouldn't find anything unusual. :) Do you want to attend?

Edited by Enix

Because main sever is not working now and don't know if it will work during tournament, we should decide to choose one of back-up servers (or all of them) instead of main if it will be necessary. As I know two are working now : 82.211.39.133:2000 and 154.5.186.38:2000.

So far I have:

Azrael

Intri

Kratos

Key-el

clawunf

vozice_09 (aka Matahl [CZ])

I think you forgot about bennyxbo. Also I'm not sure that last Azrael's post wasn't about refusing game.

Another note, I am not going to host this tournament with few players. Please notify players on the server of this tournament and have them sign up.My goal is to have, at least, 20 players attending. If I don't get that many players within the next week, I will postpone the start date until the 29th.

It might be quite difficult to find much more tournament players.

Edited by Intri

Because main sever is not working now and don't know if it will work during tournament, we should decide to choose one of back-up servers (or all of them) instead of main if it will be necessary. As I know two are working now : 82.211.39.133:2000 and 154.5.186.38:2000.

Yes, it was down. Now it's not.

How do you assume it's going to be down for a week? Also, the server is being hosted by the administrators' server from this forum (xcomufo). They can maintain a server just fine, if not better. If it was down for more than a couple days, we can always contact them. You'll want to use the statistics page from the official server anyway, unlike those servers, for any errors that may occur in the game.

On a side, yet paranoid note; you might want to be careful to which server you go to. It is very possible the server's host can steal your user name, password, and see any of your game data.

How do you assume it's going to be down for a week? Also, the server is being hosted by the administrators' server from this forum (xcomufo). They can maintain a server just fine, if not better. If it was down for more than a couple days, we can always contact them. You'll want to use the statistics page from the official server anyway, unlike those servers, for any errors that may occur in the game.

It's good that server is working now, I just remember those long weeks in the past when server was down and I wanted to prevent from breaking tournament.

On a side, yet paranoid note; you might want to be careful to which server you go to. It is very possible the server's host can steal your user name, password, and see any of your game data.

I know it is possible, I always use different password when playing on one of the other servers.

I would like to joni if you will let me.

After things which were written before, I hope you know what you do.

Edited by Intri

If it's necessary you can always add me to the tournament (watch out for my 15 sectoids armed with knifes!) to fill in a vacant slot.

If there's only 8 players at the end of the date you can always start the tournament and make it something like the World Soccer Cup: there are 2 groups of 4 players, each player plays 2 matches against the other 3 (for a total of 12 games on each group):

1st round

A plays B

C plays D

2nd round

A plays C

B plays D

3rd round

A plays D

B plays C

On 4th round player swap between host and client (so that you face the same player twice, one as host the other as client).

Each victory gives 3 points, a draw 1 point, a loss 0. Only the 2 best qualified players of each group reach round 2 and there they'll repeat the schedule of games listed above. The player that achieves the most points on this phase is the tournament winner.

A quick suggestion for the organizer of this tournament (and anyone planning on upcoming ones)

there are some good free software applications out there to help organize and keep track of wins/losses and matchups between players. These could be particularily helpful with larger amounts of players.

http://www.programurl.com/software/tournament.htm

Guest Azrael Strife
A quick suggestion for the organizer of this tournament (and anyone planning on upcoming ones)

there are some good free software applications out there to help organize and keep track of wins/losses and matchups between players. These could be particularily helpful with larger amounts of players.

http://www.programurl.com/software/tournament.htm

For the case of UFO2000, I think good old pen and paper are more than enough :P

sure if you want to draw out tournament ladders and scan them and upload them for everyone.

the single most important part of running any kind of organized gameplay between many people (in this case multi-lingual) is to make sure everyone is as informed as possible so you don't have to spend your time answering the same questions, or lose player interest due to lack of communication...

sorry for the constructive input.

As for the tournament, we will not have one. We have too few players, and I don't see much more attending.

It is really sad that you don't want to host this tournament. :( Maybe someone else would like to host it with current amount of players(if it is possible)?

I'd say for this tournament to continue with the players available. It's better to have a tournament than to have neither. If's necessary I'll organize it and we can simply make a separate thread on this forum for the rules, schedule of games, results, etc.

For those who are still in send me a PM. As soon as everyone is onboard I'll post a schedule and let the fun begin :)

Dear ufo2k forum members and ufo2k team,

My friend and I have been working on a project for ufo2000. The project is the (hopefully official) UFO 2000 tournament forums. I would lick a pm from a rep. of ufo2000 team for consent of launch or deny.

Sincerely,

Ufo2k.com

I was waiting to see if we could get 8 players but there's only 7 right now, including Adder and he's only available on weekends, something that would delay the matches.

I guess that for the time being there won't be any tournament.

i can join if you need 1 more

________________________________________________________________________________

I have started a tournament forums, we can post results there too.

Maybe some kind of mini-tournament? 7 players splitted in 2 groups (3 and 4 in each - it is not quite fair, I know) play each other two times and then two best from each group go to next phase where 4 men play for tournament's winning.

Or: Let's make something like mini-league where 7 players play each other, gaining points for winning(2 or 3 points) or drawing(1 point), and the winner would be someone with best score after all matches.

What do you think about that? B)

I was waiting to see if we could get 8 players but there's only 7 right now, including Adder and he's only available on weekends, something that would delay the matches.

i could play, maybe i am not so experienced player but i prefer to try than see that this tournament is canceled. it's the tournament still actual?

Do we have full tournament squad finally or is it end?

• 4 weeks later...