XCOMUFO & Xenocide

How To Customize Your Apoc Music File.

Tiberius_51

Hey guys, I've figured out how to redefine all of the music in the MUSIC file using GoldWave. The file consists of 26 distinct sections/tracks in a continuous stream of data. The trick is to replace these tracks with music of your choice.

I used Goldwave 5.08 to find the break points and saved them to a file that you can use. This Apoc_MUSIC.txt file contains the locations of the break points and can be imported into the sound file for editing. I've labeled the points as the beginnings of tracks 2-26 (track 1 starts at the beginning :o ). BTW, you will need to change the extension of the file to *.cue. The server here wouldn't let me upload a CUE file. The thing is just text anyways.

I won't go into all of the details on how to do use GoldWave itself (the help file is actually pretty decent). I still want to test some things and will post updates here as needed.

List of things to test/do:
----------------------
1) Determine what the various tracks actually are in-game. For example, I know that tracks 19-21 are "action music". Any help here would be appreciated.
2) Can the track lengths be varied, or do they have to be the exact same length when replaced?
- Answer: Track lengths must be the same each time as I suspected.
3) If track lengths cannot be varied, is there a way to crack the program to do allow it?
4) Anything else you guys can think of?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might also see about messing around with the sound effects files. I'll keep you posted.

:rock: 'til then, rock on! :rock: Edited by Tiberius_51

I just realized that since you can edit the MUSIC file for Apoc, those of you out there should be able to create a new one from scratch if you want. I know some people have been trying to get the music. This could be an interesting alternative.

To create a custom music file you need to know the length. It's 58:53.891.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for not updating this in a while, but I've been really busy. Anyways, after some poking around I've come to the conclusion that the "action music" tracks are best left alone. Two of them (19 and 21 I think) are actually made up of 5-6 pieces each which are played in random order, effectively fragmenting any music you inject into them. :boohoo:

Unless of course you don't mind inserting a whole bunch of 20 sec music files. :idea:
:stupid:

It appears that most of the other tracks are played at pretty much any time during the game, be it cityscape or in combat. Unfortunately, many of these tracks are only 1-2 minutes long, making it very difficult to find music to fit these tracks. You could compress the music into shorter timespans I suppose. (Chipmunks anybody?)

On another note, no luck in determining how and where in the .exe Apoc selects the music to play. I'll work at it some more, but I'm no uber hacker, so don't expect much progress for a loooong time.

In summary, Apocalypse's music file consists of a bunch of short tracks, some of which appear to be further divided, and it's method of track selection appears to be erratic and unpredictable at best. I'll keep working at this problem, but my advice for now would be to just shut off the in-game music and play something else in the background, just like you've been doing. :alienmad:

• 4 weeks later...
Just like I've been doing? Heh, can you say "total game crash under Dosbox?" ;)

But multiple-fragmented music tracks in an X-Com game? Hmm, kinda like reactive-environment music, or what? Sounds intriguing, though--too bad the version I have--gulp--has no music whatsoever.

• 2 years later...
Just like I've been doing? Heh, can you say "total game crash under Dosbox?" ;)

But multiple-fragmented music tracks in an X-Com game? Hmm, kinda like reactive-environment music, or what? Sounds intriguing, though--too bad the version I have--gulp--has no music whatsoever.

The version I have has music and sound but no intro. I have the music and sound tell me what I need to do to get it to you I have no blank CDs or DVDs but if you have a torrent program and a way to share it with you by all means. I am not afraid to download a FTP program, BTW. Just tell me what you want me to do.

• 4 months later...