XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Neithan

Suggestion:

I wanted to ask if the space for avatar could be changed from 20kB to at least 40 kB...I have some cool avatars, but they are way too big (around 35kB :sorry: ) and i can't apply them now... :Cry:

Pls help:

I can't change my personal photo...it allways gives me back the first i have uploaded. I need some :Help: with it.

Edited by Neithan

This would be an admin issue, thus I will move the thread again - thanks though Kratos.

Edit: on second thoughts, it had better stay here :) I will flag stewart down.

Edited by dipstick

I personally would enjoy this change, as I've got a neat 35kb pic.

However, think about it. There are 6548 registered members of Xcomufo. Let's suppose half of them are active and would use 40kb avatars. That's 20kb extra per person, costing 65480KB total, or about 64MB. I don't know how much space they've got left here, but wouldn't you rather spend those 64MB on delicious spam? :) Err in the spam thread of course :unsure:

Yes, not only does an extra 20K slam up a bunch of extra bandwidth usage, but it also means that those of us with slow connections have to wait even longer for pages that are large to load

Yes, not only does an extra 20K slam up a bunch of extra bandwidth usage, but it also means that those of us with slow connections have to wait even longer for pages that are large to load

i know it would take longer for low speed internet users to load pages but how many people still has that kind of low speed internet? i have 24kB/sec...and its quite low speed but still dont experiance any difficulties with loading...find me anybody who has slower connection these days... :P

Well, most greeks have 56K modems. There are only ~1500 ADSL home users in Greece. 384 most of the time, and some 512... 1Mbps is used mostly by companies. 1Mbps adsl is the fastest kind of connection for home users you can find here. :P

Looks like there's some room for improvement left there :D

Maybe providers there are just waiting for the next big leap in internet evolution, passing by on the current wave of DSL or cable entirely for now, there'll be something better soon anyway ;)

No, they are waiting too see how long they can keep the prices up before there is no more profit

But yeah, if everyone had a 40K avatar, on a page with.. 10 posts, then that would be at least 400kilobytes, which happens to take a while with my connection

Pharr oot , 40k? thats uge. Ive never had an avatar over 25 k , i reackon it oudl be better if the size limit was expanded but the limit was left the same

• 1 month later...

Time to change mine, it's been ages since the last time I changed it ;)

I think 40 KB is too much yes, maybe you can reduce the quality or chop some of the frames on those gifs to make them go under 20 KB.