6 replies to this topic

#1 GreatGold

GreatGold

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 852 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 10:47 AM

Quoted from Deimos in the "1999?" THread:

I wouldn't be surprised if xenocide operatives have a high Post traumatic stress disorder rate after the war.

Hey -

I didn't want to throw the other thread off with a completey new topic, so here is the new thread. Deimos brought up a good point, and I'm curous how combat fatigue was implemented in X-Com. Does anyone know?

Also, what is the plan for its implementation in Xenocide? Will it be a short-term effect only, when in the Battlescape? Or will it also carry over into the next mission, if it ocurs shortly enough after the first. Will it be cumulative to the "breaking-point" where a soldier flushes out? Or will they always heal to the point where they never crack under the pressure.

For example, say you have a soldier that does fine over-all. Then gets injured. This injury would probably be accompanied by serious psych issues. Now say he goes on another three missions, and in each one gets a kill. But during those missions, the highest ranking member of the squad is killed. Will all the mental strain ever add up to anthing in a cumulative manner?

Gold
---
Rule #33:
Celatid venom is a paralytic nerve toxin, not 'happy juice".

---
Posted Image

#2 Nickisimo

Nickisimo

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 10:53 AM

X-Com fatigue was handled by an orange bar under TU's called Energy. Basically, if a low-strength character was trying to haul a heavy weapon around, he would lose energy faster than TU's...and would thus be pretty in-effective(though that was a great way to boost a weenie's STR). Also, wounded soldiers and previously panicked/berserked soldiers tended to have less energy than others. :zzzzz:

I'm not quite sure how that would fit in with the Xenocide boys. I know someone talked about soliders breathing heavily. Maybe you could see them kinda hunched over and breathing real hard or just laying down or something. :happybanana:

#3 GreatGold

GreatGold

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 852 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:08 AM

Hey -

Perhaps fatigue was the wrong word. What I mean is mental strain on the soldier. I understand the energy bar very well ^_^ , its how continual combat effects the soldiers that I'm interested in.

I mean, you have a soldier on the front-line to long, and eventually they crack. Put them against an unknown alien force, and I assume the pressure would be a bit greater.

That is what I am interested in seeing handled in Xenocide.

Gold
---
Rule #33:

---
Posted Image

#4 LordT

LordT

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:20 AM

Thats where the Morale bar comes in :)
Take your time and submit a name to the Names Database.

Resistance is futile! (if < 1 ohm)

#5 GreatGold

GreatGold

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 852 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:22 AM

Hey -

Yes, but the morale bar has never in any way what-so-ever effected a game I've played. Other than Psi attacks of course, but thats a short term effect.

What about cumulative longer term effects?
Gold
---
Rule #33:

---
Posted Image

#6 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:33 AM

The morale does go down when bad things happen to your troops (not just psi). Go stick a group of soldiers out in a field and make them drop their weapons, make sure there are some high ranking officers there, prime a grenade and drop it. When it goes off and kills that group watch the morale of the other soldiers drop through the floor and them start panicking and going beserk all over the place. It works better when an alien does it for you with a BB or AG but you'll get the idea. :D

For the purposes of the game I think it'd get needlessly complex if soldiers had to retire due to PTSD and how fun would it be if your commander with 100+ kills and uberstats suddenly retired because the game decided his mental fatigue was too high. Probably best not to have something that'll take away the fun aspect of having ubercharacters away in the game.

#7 Nickisimo

Nickisimo

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Something certainly worth considering in v1.0+, but even then, I think the original Morale system was OK. I'm still not sure why tanks and hoverdiscs had morale though. I don't think it ever varied from 100 either, no matter how dicy things got. :happybanana: