XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-com An Open Source?

uncy

I was thinking that the differences could be a starting point, a rosetta stone so to speak. FOr example, you know how in xcom 1 the autocannon can be used anywhere but the equivalent in xcom 2 can only be used in water (the bastards).

Not quite on topic, but interesting news.

The first UFO: Afterlight patch created outside of ALTAR is now available for download. It fixes a number of bugs and removes the copy protection.

ALTAR Games is busy working on their next project and plan no further updates for UFO: Afterlight. They wish for the game to expand however, and have therefore given the source-code to a few dedicated fans

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/news/ufo-afterlight-patch-1-6

Now if we could just persuade them to let us get our hands on the code as well.

I think the only chance would be with StrategyCore's help, whom ALTAR knows well (mod host, fan community etc). I presume they'll be willing to help us on this. Should we make a text/letter for this?

Zombie?

Edited by kafros

Details - details! You'll never get anywhere if you worry about that! :D

I guess the usual improvements on the engine or changing how some things were implemented to something more workable. Odd bits of tinkering here and there - at least that's what I'd like to do if I got hold of any source code.

Amazon must be monitoring my posts. I logged in a few minutes ago, and it immediately recommended a bunch of books on reverse engineering and disassembly. Spooky.

Amazon usually tells you why it suggested the books. Hover your cursor over the book and the popup will explain itself. Mostly it's based off the selection of what other books people buy based on a book you've rated, purchased or if it's in your wishlist.

Some of the recommendations are kind of spooky - a few books I already own were recommended to me based on a completely different book I bought. Guess there are a lot of like-minded people out there.

- NKF

Guest Azrael Strife
I don't think there's a chance they'll release the source code for quite a while, but you can always try and ask Slaughter to act as liasion (he's an admin over at ALTAR boards)

Not quite on topic, but interesting news.
The first UFO: Afterlight patch created outside of ALTAR is now available for download. It fixes a number of bugs and removes the copy protection.

ALTAR Games is busy working on their next project and plan no further updates for UFO: Afterlight. They wish for the game to expand however, and have therefore given the source-code to a few dedicated fans

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/news/ufo-afterlight-patch-1-6

Now if we could just persuade them to let us get our hands on the code as well.

I think the only chance would be with StrategyCore's help, whom ALTAR knows well (mod host, fan community etc). I presume they'll be willing to help us on this. Should we make a text/letter for this?

Zombie?

Concerning obtaining the source code to UFO: Afterlight, I don't know whether Altar would be willing to give it away to just anyone. As it stands right now, 3 individuals have it: Patteri, Kret and Stucuk. All are long-time fans of the UFO series/community and are known for modding the game. The operative words in that news release dteviot quoted are "dedicated fans" and "expand", neither of which would fit the scenario here. If you guys really want the source code for whatever reason, you could contact one of the aforementioned individuals or Slaughter as he goes way back with Altar. :)

Edit: right, what Az said. ;)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

If you guys really want the source code for whatever reason, you could contact one of the aforementioned individuals or Slaughter as he goes way back with Altar. :)

Well, I guess it is pretty obvious why someone from PX would like to have a glance at the UFO:AL code, isn't it? And no, not for using it directly, think again.

Details - details! You'll never get anywhere if you worry about that! :D

I guess the usual improvements on the engine or changing how some things were implemented to something more workable. Odd bits of tinkering here and there - at least that's what I'd like to do if I got hold of any source code.

Mostly, I'd like to see how they've done stuff, see what I can learn from it.

For example, I've found that at least some of the environment is destructible. (Specifically, the fences surrounding the Beastmen bases.)

Amazon must be monitoring my posts. I logged in a few minutes ago, and it immediately recommended a bunch of books on reverse engineering and disassembly. Spooky.

Amazon usually tells you why it suggested the books. Hover your cursor over the book and the popup will explain itself.

I didn't know that. You learn something new each day.

Concerning obtaining the source code to UFO: Afterlight, I don't know whether Altar would be willing to give it away to just anyone. As it stands right now, 3 individuals have it: Patteri, Kret and Stucuk. All are long-time fans of the UFO series/community and are known for modding the game. The operative words in that news release dteviot quoted are "dedicated fans" and "expand", neither of which would fit the scenario here. If you guys really want the source code for whatever reason, you could contact one of the aforementioned individuals or Slaughter as he goes way back with Altar. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I've sent Slaughter an e-mail. Worst case, it's 15 minutes lost.

I think Take 2, or at least someone there, is quite aware of it, but they choose not to pursue them. As long as it doesn't "tarnish" the brand, they'll let it pass. After all, it's free advertisement. I have no idea what would happen if a straight up remake was released.

Their CONCEPTS look amazing :/, I hope they'll release something soon! Good luck to them :)

dteviot we are anxiously (well maybe just me) waiting for the reply on that email!

Well, I just sent the e-mail off to Altair, if I get a response, I'll let you know.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...