XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART- CLOAK: Concepts

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking good Crix. Do you think we can get a version under 6k polys?

for the ingame version all we will really need is their hands, head, and feet to put under the robe.

Your low poly version should be fine for the X-Net view, we set 6K as a target limit but I think you're close enough not to warrant another revision of the model for just a couple hundred polys.

In the battlescape, yes we'd only need hands/feet/face, maybe not even the face if the cloak model has a facial texture that suggests the head's in the shadows.

Awesome work! :master:

I think the longer fingers work.

SHouldn't the top of his head have a screw thread though? :D

What ever you guy's want.

It's our model. :D

An etherial with his stomach and brain exposed of course! :)

Actually, it is going to be rather difficult to do the autopsy pics if the concept artists don't know medicine. :(

Especially if the table is rotatable which I think it is.

Don't worry about the autopsy pics Cpl.F My mum was a nurse and my Uncle was a doctor so I have access to al the medical books I need and of course expert knowledge, in fact my booksheves are stacked up with more reference material than I need.

Its funny because I was thinking about how best to draw on the detail for the autopsy for the concept work the other day.

Of course for anyone else the net is a very good resource :)

I think he needs a little more form, ATM it lust looks a little odd from the sholders down. Too stark and straight. I do like the hood and shoulders though.

Oh wow. I love the texture on the shoulders and they eyes are so malevolent and threatening. Once again you've outdone yourself Crix. Perfect.

Vaaish the lack of form is what gives it that otherworldly quality to it.

I just had to add the plasma rifle concept to him :D

post-29-1065022243_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deimos

maybe I should have rephrased that. WHat I meant was that where the cloth joins to the shoulder pads looks as if they are two separate objects. Maybe a little more form up there to make it appear either sewn together or as one piece blending into the underside of the pads. Beyond that the model is excellent.

The ethereal's mom didn't properly pleat the cloth up there, eh? :D "Don't worry honey, nobody will notice your halloween suit's seams are showing!" :D

The cloaked figure looks great, but I agree maybe a little curve would be good at the shoulders. The zoom and viewing angle will be different in the battlescape, so it might not be visible anyways. Awesome look Crix!

Beautiful, simply beautiful. But, I have a practical question: Will the eth's weapon float infront of him like the original? Or will he need to actually grab it? Personally, I like the floating version, as it reinforces a etherial's telekenitic abilities for me. :)(

Guest drewid

Perhaps he's holding it by telekenisis. (serious suggestion)

How about some simple cloth physics RK? We could have a couple of bones dangling from the neck under code control, real simple rotations based on speed with a bit of lag to swing stuff around, and limits to fake the legs being in the way.

Don't worry about the autopsy pics Cpl.F My mum was a nurse and my Uncle was a doctor so I have access to al the medical books I need and of course expert knowledge, in fact my booksheves are stacked up with more reference material than I need.

Its funny because I was thinking about how best to draw on the detail for the autopsy for the concept work the other day.

Of course for anyone else the net is a very good resource :)

What I meant was should it be like bloody and violent or suggestive? We COULD have it's organs splattered around the table in those kidney shaped dishes or just the model with stiches from top to bottom of chest and head? I think we all know which I'd prefer :D

The cloaked version is looking nice I think

Edit: When animating would it be too much work for the cloak to actually flow like it is cloth? It would look pretty strange if it doesn't.

Edited by Jim69

But that's what they are, "strange". Normal laws do not apply to them, and maybe their cloaks are like those of the Myrddraal in Wheel of Time, they always are hanging still like if there's no wind at all, even if there's a tempest going on.

Sure it'll look wierd, and possibly it'll look amateuristic rather than scary, but I'd say: let's try it with unmoving cloaks, if it doesn't work it can be changed anyways (how many poly's is that cloaked Ethereal now btw?)

edit: rotfl on your 'we all know which I'd prefer :D ', Jim :LOL:

Edited by j'ordos

That is a good point, since they probably don't use their legs anyway I'd imagine they may not need folds where the legs move. I think the cloaks should sway a little tho just so they don't look too solid.

Yes, the Myrddraal were just like that, very creepy to the characters. But then the Ringwraiths from Tolkien looked very good in the movies with the flowing cloaks and hoods. I think having just a little swaying in the robe at the bottom as it moves and turns would be very nice.

Ethereals never use there body's or ?!

They do all with there mind.

Ohhhh...

Forgive me...

I must go...

My master is calling...

*brabbel*

How about some simple cloth physics RK? We could have a couple of bones dangling from the neck under code control, real simple rotations based on speed with a bit of lag to swing stuff around, and limits to fake the legs being in the way.

Posible, a simple spring based model can work. Nothing too fancy unless we get someone with a very strong background on physics... However not fancy doesnt means ugly, just not physically correct :D

Excelent Model Crix.

Greetings

Red Knight

Yes, since it's hovering around using psi, the legs aren't moving anyway. So just a little "cloak in the breeze" swishing as it moves and turns would look very good.

I toss in my vote that the model is awesome and good to go in its current form.

Yup. How many polies is the low poly version? (Actually the low poly one looks better in my eyes, although they are both superb.)

Previous post says low poly is 5880. A lower poly would go into battlescape, this one is for X-Net.

I was always wondering why is the Ethereal using legs, while he doesnt use arms to hold weapons. Legs shouldn't move...

(Models are of course awesome)

well, the eth uses his legs because he can't multitask too well. He cant move and hold a gun at the same time. (Or shoot and move at the same time :)) It is like a person who can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. :)

Guest drewid

Posible, a simple spring based model can work. Nothing too fancy unless we get someone with a very strong background on physics... However not fancy doesnt means ugly, just not physically correct :D

Excelent Model Crix.

Greetings

Red Knight

or just chuck a couple of random sine waves through the cloak object. as long as the amplitude increased towards the ground, and never got -too- big them you could get away with that.

edit for spolling

Edited by drewid

Excelent Model Crix.

Greetings

Red Knight

or just chuck a couple of random sine waves through the cloak object. as long as the amplitude increased towards the ground, and never got -too- big them you could get away with that.

edit for spolling

Yes, that is even easier, but as you mentioned using fake bones it was the first solution it occur to me.

Greetings

Red Knight

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Since the Etheral looks so close to the original, I thought I would see what I could do while I was taking a break from doing the full bodied sectoid concept. I thought that since their eyes don't work anyways they would have no need to see. I have ideas for other parts to add on to the suit but I thought I would first see how the mask idea struck people I envisioned it as a featureless, metallic mask. Check it.

etheralmask.jpg

You mean, they wear a masks for the same reason they wear those cloaks, to hide their atrophied bodies? Somewhat like the ancient Samurai, wearing masks to scare the opponent? I like that idea, though I'd like to see some features on it at least, maybe an alien version of the android police officers in THX-1138? :)

Although those eyes glowing under that cloak are so cool too :wub:

I am quite partial to the glowing eyes too, and since the cloak isn't offering any environmental protection, I don't know that the face shield would do that either.

No reason why the eyes couldn't glow through the otherwise opaque mask. They could have a third eye, (might be a bit too manga).

Let's see what it looks like... hang on....

post-29-1072647908_thumb.jpg

Naw, they should have just 2 eyes and it looks much cooler if you just see darkness in the cloak and the eyes shine through.

A comment not-related to the mask concept: I see where you're coming from but I also think that glowing eyes are kind of banal.

Regarding the ethereal concept as it stands: I love the model and think that it is about as good as you can make the classic ethereal. Crix is an excellent modeller. I think, though, as it stands, it might infringe on the intellectual property of the original. This sprung to mind as I was reading the revised style guide... so I think that we should see if there's anything we can add to the design to diverge it a bit.

Your thoughts?

I don't know, I kind of like just seeing a blank plate where their head should be. Perhaps we could only make high ranking etherials use it? Just a thought.

Isn't anyone worried that our etherial looks too much like the original?

Actually I wasn't too concenred about the look of the eteherial. If it looks too close all we really have to do is give it a different outfit since the actual alien looks quite a bit different.