XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - GAIA Missile Launcher

mikker

Well, i have a possible Plasma/Rail gun here, that i need further info to. It was made for an interceptor weapon, but now it could be used for almost anything. I need further instruction.

Alsp, what do you think? :D

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the design intended to have the outer barrels spin around the inside one? Is that related to the notches in the side of the model? The overall thickness would point to a vehicle weapon like you said more than a personnel weapon. Perhaps if you post how you think this weapon would function (ammo in/out, stabilizers, venting, etc), then the form could be adjusted to hint at those things. I'm not a weapons modeller, just my 2 cents :)

I think of a large plasma - auto cannon of some sort. Yes, either spinning, or some in-out movement while shooting. I am more with that, but i don't know.

The notches were just for decoration. Have not thought about that.

Hmm. Hard one. And i don't even know how i can use the files ( :unsure: ) but i'll still try.

I think ill go with the spin.

Had a prob. No pics for today.

i have thought about it... I don't think there should be any ammo for this one...Maybe for an shoulder-mounted one in the futere. Who knows?

Any idea for a name/tech type?

I'll go with the spin for now. I think this should be used as an interceptor weapon, anyway. I had some venting done. I took, yes, another pic. It should have smoother corners.

Is the center barrel also used when firing? It looks like it should, but for a gattling perhaps it should change. May I suggest that the other barrels increase in length, the center barrel shortens and is used as a stabilizer for the other barrels, which could suffer from centripital (sp?) forces? Or perhaps the center barrel is the axel for spinning the outer barrels, again using some mount to each one? Hope that makes sense.

It's looking very nice!

[quote name='Breunor' date='Mar 5 2003, 12:44 PM']Is the center barrel also used when firing? It looks like it should, but for a gattling perhaps it should change. May I suggest that the other barrels increase in length, the center barrel shortens and is used as a stabilizer for the other barrels, which could suffer from centripital (sp?) forces? Or perhaps the center barrel is the axel for spinning the outer barrels, again using some mount to each one? Hope that makes sense.

It's looking very nice![/quote]
I hsve abselutely NO IDEA of what you are saying :P

Glad you liked it. I hope this was what you ment:

It is 3277...Seams high. I'll have to chance that. Thanks gangsta (also by moving to this forum)

EDIT: found out how to remove alot of vertexes without even changing the look of it. Now it is 1910. :D Much better

What I meant was that if those outer barrels are spinning and firing, the center one would not fire. So if you want to keep it, it should look like it's somehow supporting the other barrels. I may be mistaken, but I believe that a gatling gun's barrels have a ring of supporting metal near the end, possible to provide support as those barrels heat up and are spinning. You could create a similar ring or just connecting pieces from the center bar. Here's a picture that sort of shows what I mean: (in case the picture doesn't post, it's at www.champlinfighter.com/ images/gatling.jpg)

Those rings at the end of the barrels don't have to be so pronounced, but that's the idea. Just my 2 cents, and good luck on the model!

I think it should be a intercepors cannon. So i made it look more cannon-like. No more gatling.

[quote name='mikker' date='Mar 6 2003, 05:18 AM']It is 3277...Seams high. I'll have to chance that. Thanks gangsta (also by moving to this forum)

EDIT: found out how to remove alot of vertexes without even changing the look of it. Now it is 1910.  :D  Much better[/quote]
Well, thing is 1910 is the amount usually used for a character model so it might still be very high. Talk to RK and see what he thinks. You could reduce the count more by making the tubes be less circular.

"You could reduce the count more by making the tubes be less circular."

Yeah. I pushed it down to <1400

I halved the numbers on this one. It looks...odd...

Its polycount (alone) is 105. The other (with 18 arround it, instead of 9) is 144.

So (with the main part excluded) I safe 258 polys.

[quote name='mikker' date='Mar 7 2003, 09:23 AM']I halved the numbers on this one. It looks...odd...

Its polycount (alone) is 105. The other (with 18 arround it, instead of 9) is 144.

So (with the main part excluded) I safe 258 polys.[/quote]
You can lower even more, if you model the central (dont know how to call it) as a solid object instead doing a union... (i cant see inside the cannon so if you had already done that, forget this message)...

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='red knight' date='Mar 7 2003, 12:41 PM']You can lower even more, if you model the central (dont know how to call it) as a solid object instead doing a union... (i cant see inside the cannon so if you had already done that, forget this message)...

Greetings
Red Knight[/quote]
You mean, that i have to remove all un-see able polys? :D already done that. I now have it at 954 polys. Need to smash it (:boxing:) a little lower, and there is still uchecked regions.

(as you can see, i used the normal "shooting barrels", because i hae got it so low, that it was just 4 polys bigger then the odd one)

Are these for the x-net/ufopedia or are these ingame? If its ingame i have no problem with it being VERY low-poly, you wont be able to zoom in enough to it to make a difference. The only place you'll see this would be the intercept window anyway since the interceptor cant enter battlescape.

LOL i acturly don't know. Should it turn out as a re-make of a heavy cannon, or as the interceptors cannon? That is a hard decision. What do YOU think?

Both? :)
Maybe you can, for testing, shrink the polycount to the suggested 500 and zoom out to "normal" zoom so we'll get an idea of how it will "really" look. keep the large high-poly for the pedia.

If you lose the detail on the sticky out bit, the four panels and other 'modelled' detail on that and on the barrel housing you could lose the square cutouts. The pistol grips could shed a few polys as well, make them basically extruded cubes.

All that kind of detail and more could be put back in by making a good skin . I reckon you'd probably lose around another 100 poly's off that and it when skinned I reckon it would just as cool :)

sounds cool deimos. I'll try that.

Done! I cracked down the vents 77 to 23. That is 108 in total. You are quite good at guessing Deimos.

With the other objects, its 658. Wee!

[quote name='mikker' date='Mar 9 2003, 01:02 PM']sounds cool deimos. I'll try that.

Done! I cracked down the vents 77 to 23. That is 108 in total. You are quite good at guessing Deimos.

With the other objects, its 658. Wee![/quote]
Not too far out :D

I actually figured that each of the square faces would have 2 triangles each so a quick count up came to around 100. Does the model still look good?

It looks great...The only problem i encountered, was that i actedently deleated a poly (i had done that about 3 times now :mellow: ...) so inside the vent, you can see insidde it. :blink:

The smiley war:

Alien walking op to Xeno agent:

:alienlol: :I can see inside you weapon though the ventelator!

:whatwhat: : No! No! You can't! Your AI are not programed to that!

:alienoooh: : Sorry.

:LOL: : Your so stupid!

:alienmad: : What...did...you...say???

:ugh: : woops...

:alientalk: (uses telepath)

:hate: :Wanna...kill...boss

:yell: : hey! you can't mind control me! i have a strength of 70!

:alienoooh: :thats...alot.... Hey! Reaper! Come over here!

:fang: :Grrrrrrrrr..

:uzzi: :HA! too easy! Come with the best you got!

:aliencool: Hey! Boss! come over here!

<_< : My big mouth!

:monster: :MUWAHAHA!

:crying: Wah! Help me!

I think it should be placed this way. Don't you think

(and please, sorry for having bad drawing skill :ugh:)

[quote name='mikker' date='Mar 13 2003, 11:20 AM']I think it should be placed this way. Don't you think

(and please, sorry for having bad drawing skill :ugh:)[/quote]
The last one looks better, maybe it is the perspective, or you had been making too big optimizations... Can you try make the outside case a little smaller?? (i dont know if that makes sense)...

Greetings
Red Knight

Like this??? (if you can see it?)

It has 1120 polys, but this is the UFO pedia version. The in-game should only have textured missiles.

[quote name='mikker' date='Mar 13 2003, 02:19 PM']Like this??? (if you can see it?)

It has 1120 polys, but this is the UFO pedia version. The in-game should only have textured missiles.[/quote]
Sorry i had loosed track of all this, what that suppose to be? a soldier weapon or a Vehicle/Craft weapon.

Greetings
Red Knight

Acturly i have. But i can see your point.

I think that it seams to turn out as a heavy-connon for a soldier. Of cause, it could also be used for the connon tank, but i think i stick to this for now.

Very impressive picture, would be great for UFOpedia. For in game use, everybody's question will be 'how many polys?' Could you make a lower poly version for use in game? Overall design looks good.

:o Wow! I can see i need to add some decals!

Should i delete the 6 cannon runs, to add a lonely big one? just to add the realism of a heavy cannon?

:) As for actual play things have to be alot less roundish and alot more squarish. Whenever you start making things more round it increases the polygon count and the polygon count is one of the things that decides how powerful the graphic card has to be. I can see alot of places where you can have that gun look just as good but use a less round shape. if this is for a craft then the polygon count probably is around 1500 I'm guessing including the tank part.

Actually, that's a good point Gangsta. Are we planning on having the tanks have the same poly count as a soldier? If you'll recall, 1 tank takes the place of 4 soldiers... Now, that might not necessarily mean you can have 4 times as many polys for a tank, but since the player is taking 4 less soldiers into a mission if he is bringing in a tank, surely we could afford to have twice as many polys for a tank, right? What exactly is our min spec system anyways?

J^2

Our base video card is GeForce2 MX 400, so i had said we try with 1500 for soldiers + weapon. And 300 for furniture, etc... but that depends on complexity... maybe we can afford more, but we dont already know how much, so it is just a bet... if i were you i would make them a little bigger and optimize if needed...

Greetings
Red Knight

When it is shoulder mounted, why not make it a rocket launcher (i have some problems, because some of the polys color looks odd together, so i have not rendered it)?

[quote name='demich' date='Mar 22 2003, 02:30 PM']what do yo mean odd-looking? for me they look normal :D[/quote]
that one is marely a snap-shot. When you render it.....

[quote name='Afflicted' date='Mar 23 2003, 12:01 AM']From the size of these weapons and well, from what I'm reading, does another guy follow the guy with the gun. (the other guy would have a wheelbarrow full of ammo or something).[/quote]
nono. the place with the vents, the HW guy carries the weapon on his shoulder.