XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Seb76's Ufo Extender

j'ordos

Great work so far Seb.

Quick question - how hard would it be to implement your d3d mode in a window instead of running fullscreen?

I can get around it by running your loader in a virtual machine but having an 8GB WinXP vmx so I can play UFO windowed is hardly elegant : ^_^

Hum, actually it was harder to find docs from the MSDN than making it happen ;-)

Seb

LOL Seb that what's I call a quick update.

Just downloaded and tested it, seems to work very nicely! Thanks for that :)

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Darn, a tftd version would be cool. But I do understand it would be difficult to maintain two separate versions.

A slight more clarified report on Bug 1) When an unconscious civvy dies during the aliens turn from wounds, I get the dialog box but no cursor. It doesn't appear at all and pretty much have to guess where i'm clicking. (So far I manage to get it within 10 seconds)

Ive had a couple of other difficult to get out of dialog boxes but can't remember what caused them.

A different bug) When using the more reaction fire mod, every so often when my guy turns to shoot the alien, it will reaction fire and kill my guy. My guy whos now dead still manages to fire, but he's now using the aliens weapon to fire. (He had a laser, and he was firing plasma shots). I'm not complaining about the mods itself, as it makes the game more realistic like how a real-time battle would go but thankfully not real-time.

Also, can I get clarification on what the "Retaliate Against Ground Assault" does? The readme doesn't really explain it well and I don't seem to see any difference in-game.

And to agree with somebody who either posted here or on the wiki, would it be difficult to get the game to draw a circle defining the radar coverage on the planet? It would be nice to know how far out my rader coverage is and help place my bases more evenly around the planet for almost planetary-wide coverage.

Thanks for the quick reply. I would have given you a savedgame before my guy was zombied, but after finishing that game I started another and saved over the previous saves. Then I found this site. (Again)

Also, can I get clarification on what the "Retaliate Against Ground Assault" does? The readme doesn't really explain it well and I don't seem to see any difference in-game.

When you are shooting down UFOs the aliens will get annoyed and will send UFOs on Alien Retaliation mission to hunt/attack your base. If you wait until the UFO lands before assaulting it then by default it won't 'annoy' the aliens and they won't retaliate. (Ground Assault vs Crash Site).

I thought that's what they did anyway. If you are successful against them they send craft to find then destroy you.

So does this mod increase the aliens aggressiveness against xcom being successful?

Relatiation missions are only started when you shoot UFOs down ; assaulting a landed craft does not trigger that behavior at all. In a scenario in which you only assault landed UFOs, you should not have any retaliation missions. The patch just fixes this shortcoming.

Seb

Where has this mod been all my life?

Seriously awesome stuff. A while back I had some free time and made a list of all the things I'd like to fix if I remade XCom the same way The Ur'Quan Masters was remade. I even got as far as re-implementing the geoscape but had trouble with the rendering being slightly off. I was just starting to peek at decompiled code to see where I went wrong (I got far enough to discover that my spherical to cartesian mapping math was horrendously non-optimal by comparison), when my free time disappeared and I put the project on hold indefinitely. Thanks to this mod I still get to see the vast majority of things I wanted to implement. I mean holy shuckeroonies, I never thought I'd see TFTD doors in UFO. I can't thank you enough.

That being said, would it be possible to have sound effect remapping? Specifically, I'm thinking of using rips of the PS version's SFX. Alternatively people who prefer the original 1.0 sfx could also use this feature. There's a bunch of other things I'd like to see too of course, but between those and the things listed on the wiki talk page a total remake would probably be easier (heck, if it was written modular enough it could kill two birds and also remake TFTD) and you've already done so much.

Anyway, thanks again.

Edited by Majorlag

Where has this mod been all my life?

Seriously awesome stuff. A while back I had some free time and made a list of all the things I'd like to fix if I remade XCom the same way The Ur'Quan Masters was remade. I even got as far as re-implementing the geoscape but had trouble with the rendering being slightly off. I was just starting to peek at decompiled code to see where I went wrong (I got far enough to discover that my spherical to cartesian mapping math was horrendously non-optimal by comparison), when my free time disappeared and I put the project on hold indefinitely. Thanks to this mod I still get to see the vast majority of things I wanted to implement. I mean holy shuckeroonies, I never thought I'd see TFTD doors in UFO. I can't thank you enough.

That being said, would it be possible to have sound effect remapping? Specifically, I'm thinking of using rips of the PS version's SFX. Alternatively people who prefer the original 1.0 sfx could also use this feature. There's a bunch of other things I'd like to see too of course, but between those and the things listed on the wiki talk page a total remake would probably be easier (heck, if it was written modular enough it could kill two birds and also remake TFTD) and you've already done so much.

Anyway, thanks again.

I share the enthusiasm. Seb for president! =b

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome work! I'm glad to see someone working on this since most of the other mods have been abandoned. Any chance of an auto sell feature ala the ET mod? It's one of the few things missing, and it's soooooo convenient. The idle engineers reducing constrution time is cool too, and would be a great addition.

Edit: You may want to add an option in the config to set window size when running in windowed mode. I can't exactly eyeball the window to the proper ratio.

Edit: The 'scale mouse' option does not appear to keep the cursor from going off the screen to the right or bottom for me either. In window mode, its not noticeable to the right because the cursor gets outside the window itself, but you can still get it on the bottom edge. Oddly enough, in window mode without the 4x filter, it's fine. But every other combo seems to have e problem. Oh, and this is all with D3D enabled because without D3D my LCD whacks out when I start the game.

Edit: If you can't tell I'm just trying this out for the first time and nitpicking :). I noticed that in window mode its 'always on top'. Not tragic, and since my keyboard response is crap when I have it running in the background (IE, I couldn't type this with the game running) it's no big deal, but I thought I'd mention it. It would also be nice if you could lock the cursor within the window so it doesn't move into my desktop while I'm scrolling. But then you'd have to have a way to unlock it in case you wanted to leave the window... I suppose you could just alt-tab though.

Edit: And some more stats on the inventory screen would be nice. I tried adding 'Bravery=Brave>' but it didn't do anything, so I don't know if other stats are possible and I'm just missing the syntax or what. I'd also like to use the arrow keys or numpad to scroll in the battle scape, but it looks like you have them mapped to movement/menu and scroll option aren't available.

Edited by Karstedt

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome work! I'm glad to see someone working on this since most of the other mods have been abandoned. Any chance of an auto sell feature ala the ET mod? It's one of the few things missing, and it's soooooo convenient. The idle engineers reducing constrution time is cool too, and would be a great addition.

Hi Karstedt,

IMHO the autosell feature is lame : "manufacturing" bases+autosell is almost like having infinite money. I don't think it adds to the game but again it's just my opinion.

Edit: You may want to add an option in the config to set window size when running in windowed mode. I can't exactly eyeball the window to the proper ratio.

Your window placement is saved when you exit the game so you really only need to do it once. I thought of adding a "keep aspect ratio" like possibility, but it would conflict with the "Screen ratio" option. Still, if you feel like it, you can edit the ini file after running the game once, a new "D3D Window Position" setting will be available for you to tweak.

Edit: The 'scale mouse' option does not appear to keep the cursor from going off the screen to the right or bottom for me either. In window mode, its not noticeable to the right because the cursor gets outside the window itself, but you can still get it on the bottom edge. Oddly enough, in window mode without the 4x filter, it's fine. But every other combo seems to have e problem. Oh, and this is all with D3D enabled because without D3D my LCD whacks out when I start the game.

I never use the scalers so there may be a bug there. I'll have a look.

Edit: If you can't tell I'm just trying this out for the first time and nitpicking :). I noticed that in window mode its 'always on top'. Not tragic, and since my keyboard response is crap when I have it running in the background (IE, I couldn't type this with the game running) it's no big deal, but I thought I'd mention it. It would also be nice if you could lock the cursor within the window so it doesn't move into my desktop while I'm scrolling. But then you'd have to have a way to unlock it in case you wanted to leave the window... I suppose you could just alt-tab though.

I never saw being always on the top as a problem. I'll see if I can make that configurable.

Edit: And some more stats on the inventory screen would be nice. I tried adding 'Bravery=Brave>' but it didn't do anything, so I don't know if other stats are possible and I'm just missing the syntax or what. I'd also like to use the arrow keys or numpad to scroll in the battle scape, but it looks like you have them mapped to movement/menu and scroll option aren't available.

The options are there only for localisation, adding new entries won't change what is available. The main problem with adding new stats is finding where to show them, the inventory screen is already cluttered...

Cheers,

Seb

Seb, a few things..

1. Do you think you could add an option to "force" the mouse cursour to stay within the window when using D3D and Windowed Mode? The mouse running off the edges of the window is very annoying. And, before you ask.. Yes I've already tried applying Scale Mouse=1. Doesn't seem to work for me.

2. I would be interested in seeing how Psi would work if LOS was required for both Xcom AND Aliens! This would certainly even the playing field, while still making Psi viable for both factions.

3. Would there be any way for you to assign an explosion to fuel barrels and other similar explosive objects?

As it is now, gas barrels and other explosive objects in game explode but they do not deal any damage.. they only spread smoke. I believe in TFTD they actually deal damage. Would there be a way for you to patch this?

3. Would there be any way for you to assign an explosion to fuel barrels and other similar explosive objects?

As it is now, gas barrels and other explosive objects in game explode but they do not deal any damage.. they only spread smoke. I believe in TFTD they actually deal damage. Would there be a way for you to patch this?

I could whip up a patch for you fairly easy if you want. I would have included these features in my Game Folder Patch but I'm not positive if this is what the developers originally intended. Could make a separate mod for it, but I guess it's boarderline enough to include. Give me a few days to get it together. :)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

I tried out your new heavy laser... and it's cool, but is it meant to take so much energy to fire? It can only be fired like every 3rd turn unless you stim the user a bunch. Personally, I think the short burst should only fire 3 shots and take 45% TU's. that way you can get two volleys off, and it won't take all your TU's just to fire 5 shots at a sectoid, and then leave you without enough energy to fire again for 2 rounds. But it is really great vs the robotic walkers... finally a really effective weapon for those.

So if you don't want to do auto sell, how about idle engineers making thing build faster?

I tried out your new heavy laser... and it's cool, but is it meant to take so much energy to fire? It can only be fired like every 3rd turn unless you stim the user a bunch. Personally, I think the short burst should only fire 3 shots and take 45% TU's. that way you can get two volleys off, and it won't take all your TU's just to fire 5 shots at a sectoid, and then leave you without enough energy to fire again for 2 rounds. But it is really great vs the robotic walkers... finally a really effective weapon for those.

So if you don't want to do auto sell, how about idle engineers making thing build faster?

Personally I just edit the OBDATA stats so that the heavy laser is the same with a few differences: Higher aimed accuracy and higher power. Makes it a great sniper rifle and an alternative to the Plasma Rifle.

I integrated truly explosive objects into my Combo Patch today. I did a little testing on this and explosive objects appear to really deal HE damage so I think it's fixed. Give it a shot and let me know. :)

- Zombie

I've got a bug here. I can't tell what exactly is causing the crash. I've attached the save. There is a floater leader upstairs, after you cap him the game will crash before getting to the promotions screen after the mission. The save worked fine on unmodified CE.

Can you attach your ini file?

Seb

Here's my ini

I did a few tries with killing the floater or stunning him with the small launcher, but could not get a crash. Do you have the address shown on your crash dialog?

Seb

Is this what your looking for?

AppName: ufo defense.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName: patcher.dll

ModVer: 1.16.0.0 Offset: 00004993

And I retried with the save I uploaded just to make sure its the right one, and it is, it crashes every time the mission ends right where you would continue to the promotions screen just before the geoscape. I'm running XP sp3 with the CE cd-rom version that contains both EU and TFD.

Here's my ini

I did a few tries with killing the floater or stunning him with the small launcher, but could not get a crash. Do you have the address shown on your crash dialog?

Seb

Is this what your looking for?

AppName: ufo defense.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName: patcher.dll

ModVer: 1.16.0.0 Offset: 00004993

And I retried with the save I uploaded just to make sure its the right one, and it is, it crashes every time the mission ends right where you would continue to the promotions screen just before the geoscape. I'm running XP sp3 with the CE cd-rom version that contains both EU and TFD.

I still cannot reproduce the crash :( The address you gave indicates that it crashes in a part of code related to the "No Funkers" option; looks like one of the UNITPOS entry must be corrupted but I cannot say for sure. Maybe you can send a savegame after you neutralized the last alien, just before pushing the end of turn button? For now you can disable the no funkers option, it should enable you to end your battle; but it would be good if I can find what's going wrong...

HTH,

Seb

If an alien is "out of play" (eg outside the confines of the map) would that screw things up Seb? I've seen people who had aliens off the map before so this may be the cause of a "corrupt" Unitpos file. ;)

- Zombie

The "no funkers" makes sense because the crash does happen right when it is supposed to flip to the promotions screen. I have no idea why you can't reproduce it on your end though. I went up and stunned the alien and saved it again, so the mission will complete as soon as you end turn. Here it is if you want to dink around and try to figure it out. Turning off no funkers did indeed allow me to continue, and as a side note, this error keeps popping up in later missions if I just re-enable it. I do re-organize my troops a LOT, so I don't know if something is getting buggered up there. If I get around to it, I'll turn off the rearranging and use xcomutil to do my troop management for me and see if this continues to be a problem.

GAME_9.rar

If an alien is "out of play" (eg outside the confines of the map) would that screw things up Seb? I've seen people who had aliens off the map before so this may be the cause of a "corrupt" Unitpos file. ;)

- Zombie

I don't think it would cause this crash. The problem I suspect is that a unitpos entry has its first entry different from 0xff but the corresponding unitref is not valid.

The "no funkers" makes sense because the crash does happen right when it is supposed to flip to the promotions screen. I have no idea why you can't reproduce it on your end though. I went up and stunned the alien and saved it again, so the mission will complete as soon as you end turn. Here it is if you want to dink around and try to figure it out. Turning off no funkers did indeed allow me to continue, and as a side note, this error keeps popping up in later missions if I just re-enable it. I do re-organize my troops a LOT, so I don't know if something is getting buggered up there. If I get around to it, I'll turn off the rearranging and use xcomutil to do my troop management for me and see if this continues to be a problem.

Hum, do you use xcomutil already?

Seb

Hum, do you use xcomutil already?

Seb

No, I do not... but I might be using the combo patch by zombie/bombbloke, I can't remember for sure. But that has no effect on soldiers as far as I can tell, and doesn't modify the exe at all.

Can you look in the MISSDAT folder after the crash; is your uniref2.dat file 9920bytes long?

Seb

It is, both before and after the crash, and when running crashless with no funkers disabled.

OK, at this point I'm clueless as to what's causing the problem; maybe it's your setup making it crash, or mine making it work... Is anybody else using the "No Funkers" option?

Seb

I also get a crash on his savegame when No Funkers is enabled. No xcomutil, only zombie's combo patch. Using windows 7 64bit.

I'm running XP 32bit w/SP3.

Also, having played through July with the loader now, one really great thing to add would be a "move to top" button when rearranging soldiers in the craft. I go through a lot of soldiers, and having to click move up 10+ times for each new recruit can get tedious. It looks like there is plenty of room to add the button too, just to the left of move up.

I recently changed to Windows 7 x64. Since, I have yet to complete a base-defense mission, the game constantly crashes (but so far, only during base-defense missions).

This is the error report from windows:

Probleemhandtekening:

Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem: APPCRASH

Naam van de toepassing: UFO Defense.exe

Versie van toepassing: 1.0.0.1

Tijdstempel van toepassing: 37e26ef3

Naam van foutmodule: UFO Defense.exe

Versie van foutmodule: 1.0.0.1

Tijdstempel van foutmodule: 37e26ef3

Uitzonderingscode: c0000005

Uitzonderingsmarge: 0002064f

Versie van besturingssysteem: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Landinstelling-id: 1043

Aanvullende informatie 1: 26d2

Aanvullende informatie 2: 26d2ee88930fe11c32da4d3641482615

Aanvullende informatie 3: d04b

Aanvullende informatie 4: d04b8d2b304d3ae277ebed72adc6b486

I run the game in Windows XP sp3 compatibility mode. I don't know if you figure this out, but alas, I thought I'd post it anyway.

Edited by 3D Master

Fixed it... after installing on my laptop and seeing it not crash there, I reinstalled it on my desktop only to find it still crashing... bleh. So I decided to play with the compatibility options and found that it was already set to 98 compatibility mode (probably from some previous attempt to get some combination of mods working, and it just saved it even after the exe was removed)... turned that off and no more problem.

Also, having played through July with the loader now, one really great thing to add would be a "move to top" button when rearranging soldiers in the craft. I go through a lot of soldiers, and having to click move up 10+ times for each new recruit can get tedious. It looks like there is plenty of room to add the button too, just to the left of move up.

I reuse the API provided but the game itself so sadly I cannot add new buttons' sprites. I'll see if I can add something like right+left clicking to bring a unit top/bottommost.

I recently changed to Windows 7 x64. Since, I have yet to complete a base-defense mission, the game constantly crashes (but so far, only during base-defense missions).

This is the error report from windows:

Probleemhandtekening:

Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem: APPCRASH

Naam van de toepassing: UFO Defense.exe

Versie van toepassing: 1.0.0.1

Tijdstempel van toepassing: 37e26ef3

Naam van foutmodule: UFO Defense.exe

Versie van foutmodule: 1.0.0.1

Tijdstempel van foutmodule: 37e26ef3

Uitzonderingscode: c0000005

Uitzonderingsmarge: 0002064f

Versie van besturingssysteem: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Landinstelling-id: 1043

Aanvullende informatie 1: 26d2

Aanvullende informatie 2: 26d2ee88930fe11c32da4d3641482615

Aanvullende informatie 3: d04b

Aanvullende informatie 4: d04b8d2b304d3ae277ebed72adc6b486

I run the game in Windows XP sp3 compatibility mode. I don't know if you figure this out, but alas, I thought I'd post it anyway.

This looks like like the "standard" crash when the game crash immediatly when you have your first unit going out of the craft. The function that finds the pointer of the tile the current unit is in returns some garbage for an unknown reason. I have not been able to reproduce the problem enough to investigate it :(

Did you try without the compatibility mode? Maybe with D3D and MP3 music you don't need it?

Fixed it... after installing on my laptop and seeing it not crash there, I reinstalled it on my desktop only to find it still crashing... bleh. So I decided to play with the compatibility options and found that it was already set to 98 compatibility mode (probably from some previous attempt to get some combination of mods working, and it just saved it even after the exe was removed)... turned that off and no more problem.

Good to know. I tried running in compatibility mode here, but got no crash BTW. Who knows what compatibility mode does behind the scene...

Seb

Enabling Compatibility mode here causes UFO to not run at all :) (double click Ufoloader.exe and nothing happens)

I gave a shot at win7 in vmware, putting both the loader and the ufo defense.exe to XP sp3 compatibility mode works (but with the fugly security alert). It is sluggish but it's most likely due to the virtualization.

HTH,

Seb

PS: I'll soon remove that crap from my laptop so if you have other W7 issues, say so now...

Edited by Seb76

This looks like like the "standard" crash when the game crash immediatly when you have your first unit going out of the craft. The function that finds the pointer of the tile the current unit is in returns some garbage for an unknown reason. I have not been able to reproduce the problem enough to investigate it :(

Did you try without the compatibility mode? Maybe with D3D and MP3 music you don't need it?

After Karstedt's post I tried without compatability mode, and I ran through the mission like a breeze. In fact, it seems without compatibility mode the game runs much much more smoothly than it did with the compatibility OR when I still ran WinXP.

Which, I gotta say, is a pleasant weird. You usually always read (and have found) games not working in Win7 at all; put it in compatibility mode they say. But with XCOM, the opposite, heh.

I reuse the API provided but the game itself so sadly I cannot add new buttons' sprites. I'll see if I can add something like right+left clicking to bring a unit top/bottommost.

So those buttons were always there, just unused/undisplayed? An unfinished remnant I suppose. I'm always finding those when I mod stuff. Any key combo to send those rookies to the top would be great though.

After Karstedt's post I tried without compatability mode, and I ran through the mission like a breeze. In fact, it seems without compatibility mode the game runs much much more smoothly than it did with the compatibility OR when I still ran WinXP.

Which, I gotta say, is a pleasant weird. You usually always read (and have found) games not working in Win7 at all; put it in compatibility mode they say. But with XCOM, the opposite, heh.

I've always found compatibility mode to be hit and miss. I just play with it so often seeking better results. It's just interesting to find out that compatibility mode settings are saved, even after a file is gone. Something to remember when trying to clean install something in the hopes of getting it to work differently.

So those buttons were always there, just unused/undisplayed? An unfinished remnant I suppose. I'm always finding those when I mod stuff. Any key combo to send those rookies to the top would be great though.

The buttons were not present on this specific page, but the game has a unified callback system for lists (used for buying/selling/soldiers and stuff), adding new buttons was just a matter of understanding how it works.

I've always found compatibility mode to be hit and miss. I just play with it so often seeking better results. It's just interesting to find out that compatibility mode settings are saved, even after a file is gone. Something to remember when trying to clean install something in the hopes of getting it to work differently.

I'd be interested to know what parameters people use on different OSes so I can add a compatibility table on my page.

Oh and BTW, happy new year everyone :-)

Seb

1. Do you think you could add an option to "force" the mouse cursour to stay within the window when using D3D and Windowed Mode? The mouse running off the edges of the window is very annoying. And, before you ask.. Yes I've already tried applying Scale Mouse=1. Doesn't seem to work for me.

I added the option to clip the cursor in the window. It's not working perfectly, but give it a try...

Now when you keep the mouse button down for more than 200ms, the soldier will go topmost/bottommost.

Cheers,

Seb

The move to top function works great! I love it!

The keep mouse cursor within the window is a bit funky. Since it pretty much locks the cursor within the confines of the window regardless of everything. So it's difficult to resize the window because the cursor can't really drag out except using the top corners seems to work ok. And then if you switch to a different window or generally try to do anything else outside x-com the cursor is still locked to the portion of screen that the window takes up.

My equipment stopped saving too after upgrading. I'm getting some long hex strings in the equip.ini file and am wondering if something is up. I'm going to just delete the ini and see if it will write a new working one.

I'm having a few problems with crashes, and I have no idea if it's connected to your mod or not.

1 instance I have noticed is if I am in the Soldier screen, viewing a soldiers stats, AND modifying their name. (Cursour blinking). If I leave the cursour blinking for more than, say, 10-15 seconds, the game crashes.

I've also had a few rather odd crashes during missions. I can't put my finger on any pattern to their occurances yet, but I'll let you know.

How would I troubleshoot this?

The move to top function works great! I love it!

You're welcome :-)

The keep mouse cursor within the window is a bit funky. Since it pretty much locks the cursor within the confines of the window regardless of everything. So it's difficult to resize the window because the cursor can't really drag out except using the top corners seems to work ok. And then if you switch to a different window or generally try to do anything else outside x-com the cursor is still locked to the portion of screen that the window takes up.

Testing it under XP with Win98 look, the cursor is clipped to the window region (including resize ancors). Maybe different styles have different behaviors. I could lock the cursor in the client area, but then you wouldn't be able to resize/move/close the window at all. Maybe I'll just add a shortcut to enable/disable the feature on the fly.

My equipment stopped saving too after upgrading. I'm getting some long hex strings in the equip.ini file and am wondering if something is up. I'm going to just delete the ini and see if it will write a new working one.

Several people asked me to change the equipment algorithm to identify soldiers based on their starting stats instead of their names so that when you rename them (stats strings), you don't loose their equipment. Sadly old ini files are not compatible.

1 instance I have noticed is if I am in the Soldier screen, viewing a soldiers stats, AND modifying their name. (Cursour blinking). If I leave the cursour blinking for more than, say, 10-15 seconds, the game crashes.

The way input boxes are implemented is really nasty and could mess up the windows messages handling. It may end up crashing I presume.

I've also had a few rather odd crashes during missions. I can't put my finger on any pattern to their occurances yet, but I'll let you know.

How would I troubleshoot this?

In case of a recurrent crash, try disabling the loader and see if it fixes the problem. You can always post the address of the crash, I'll try to figure out what's causing it.

Seb

Edited by Seb76

Regarding the cursor, I think a toggle hotkey to lock/unlock the cursor from the client area would probably be the best way to go. I think that's even how DosBox handles it.

I kinda thought the equip.ini was just a compatibility thing, I just didn't notice it mentioned when I got the latest version. BTW, I do like it this way better because I still use strings on my soldiers so I have an idea of what their equipment loadout is just by name.

• 1 month later...

Couple things, first you've made a great thing here! There is new life in X-COM :D

Now, the "scale mouse" feature doesn't appear to do anything in D3D full screen (Win7 x64); the mouse still leaves the screen on the right and bottom. Fortunately this is fixed by forcing UFO Defense.exe to run in 640x480 via compatibility mode. However, there is still a problem when using a second monitor. The cursor will still leave the game on the side of the screen that the second monitor extends to. This is again fixed by disabling the second monitor, but it's a rather large inconvenience. I suppose I am nitpicking but it seems like it should be possible to just lock the cursor on the game the way other D3D apps do.

I also encountered a bug yesterday where one of my crafts got stuck on the map, unable to move or return to base. I believe this is related to the "Craft Always Ready" parameter, which I had enabled. I'll do more experimenting in the near future to confirm this.

That's all for now, keep up the great work!

• 3 weeks later...

some notes (for the 1.19 and maybe 1.20? patch version):

- rosvell incident occures too often. During first month it occured 5 times while no other ufo were detected. Occurence rate should be almost non existing I think

- first solder/tank exit from a craft time to time causes crash (no dump at the moment, but could provide if needed)

- possibility to map keys for loading and saving would be very nice

- option to skip mission description would also be nice (save one ok click :) )

further if viable enhancement - ufo's with the retaliation mission should try to attack nearby x-com craft's. API for the new features/modifications would be great - not sure if this possible at all. Suppose, UFO is developed by using procedural ©, not object-oriented language (C++)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick question.

On my HTPC I'm getting the following crash error when attempting to use Extender's MP3 feature.

"XCOM crashed at 0x77E73887 with error 0xE06D7363"

It crashes at the exact moment the first MP3 would be played.

I've tried resolving the problem on my own. I'm fairly certain it's because the HTPC is using antiquated Windows XP with SP1. To update it is going to cause other problems with how I've set it up. Can anyone confirm that MP3 music is tied to some .net3+/SP 2+ features? If not I can continue looking elsewhere to fix the issue. The Extender work perfectly with MP3 the feature disabled.

Then again I should probably just reformat the HD and get an up to date MCOS on there :)

The Extender works wonderfully on my laptop. Thank you for the continued support. There are a lot of people using the newest updates and perhaps with the recent announcement the numbers will only continue to grow. I'm amazed at how this game has been getting continuously tweaked ever since I played it for the first time so long ago.

I'm getting a crash entering the soldier equip screen:

"XCOM crashed at 0xB52571 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x0212DF34"

I noticed this is because of trying to use "Save Equipment=1", as setting "Save Equipment=0" doesn't crash and let's me enter the battlescape.

Is this because it's my first mission and it's trying to recall a previous equipment setup or something like that? I just started playing again for the first time in a long time.

The attachment is my UFOExtender.ini and the savegame if anyone wants to try for themselves.

xcom.zip

• 1 month later...

Hi Seb,

I just updated to your last patch and am still running xcom ce with your patch and D3D Windower. Love it and testing my current game.

I tried your window option and it works. I also tried your 4xHQ option and it works BUT it eats up cpu like crazy.

I also have a new game device which I want to run Xcom in via Dosbox so I have a few requests:

a) can you also add in a 2x\3x or 4x option but not HQ so I can run it windowed without slowing down system?

B) can you port a version of your mod for dosbox so I can try to run it on my Maestro (Nokia N900 linux based cell phone) system. Portable Xcom would be awesome. I guess you would need to disable the window and scaling options since we have to rely on dosbox's scaling and windowing features on the target host system.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello seb. I see it has been nearly 7 months since you last posted so I hope you get this.

Do you know of, or could possible make a patch or mod that enables one to play around with or change the games resolution?

My games runs perfectly (Xcom CE edition XP) but is "fuzzy" or almost out of focus. Blurry.

Ever heard of this? I just need to revert back to good old 640x480 xcom.

Hope someone can help me.

Hello seb. I see it has been nearly 7 months since you last posted so I hope you get this.

Do you know of, or could possible make a patch or mod that enables one to play around with or change the games resolution?

My games runs perfectly (Xcom CE edition XP) but is "fuzzy" or almost out of focus. Blurry.

Ever heard of this? I just need to revert back to good old 640x480 xcom.

Hope someone can help me.

I think there is such an option - look for HQ2X or something like that in the .ini file.