XCOMUFO & Xenocide

My game progress.

well, this sure is being lots of trouble. two of my men got stunned after killing lots of aliens in the UFO. my third one ran out of ammo during the battle (not good) so he had to go get some ammo from a nearby alien corpse without any aliens spotting him. now that he finally reached the ammo, he looks back and finds the aliens were tailing him all along. to make matters worse, the alien he got the ammo from woke up (he's on the upper level, thus not visible in the screenshot)
:cussing:

now it's time to place your bets. is Able Seaman G. Bakeovich gonna get himself out of this mess or will he get swatted like a bug?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bakeovich runs for the stairs, putting the now awake lobsterman back into his deep sleep by shooting him out of his way. Another lobsterman comes after him carrying a Thermal Shock Launcher. He fires a grenade, but Bakeovich easily avoids it. Bakeovich grabs his rifle and fires two shots at the lobsterman. He's still standing. The lobsterman fires another grenade but Bakeovich avoids it again. Bakeovich fires more two shots which finally waste the alien. However, the third alien with a Sonic Cannon on his "hands" is coming up. Bakeovich has to do something quickly. He grabs the sonic pulser on his belt, sets it to 0 and throws it at the lobsterman. The sonic pulser blows up, tossing the lobsterman back down. Unfortunately, it didn't kill him. Bakeovich searches for somewhere to hide, but there's nowhere to hide on the top of an USO. He decides to go for the two alien corpses (one on top of each other) and look for something useful. Aha, a Sonic Pulser! He sets it to 0 and carefully throws it down the stairs, rolling down to the lobsterman. It blows up, and kills the lobsterman. The explosion also blasts down one of the USO's doors, revealing... another lobsterman! Bakeovich shakes in fear. The lobsterman stays down there, Sonic Cannon in his "hands", waiting for Bakeovich to show up. "There's no other choice. I'm gonna have to go down there and kill him, face to horrible face". He quietly goes down the stairs, trying to avoid being seen by the lobsterman. As he reaches the bottom of the stairs, ZAP! A sonic shot passes right next to him. Bakeovich tries to aim for the lobsterman but with all that shaking he can't get a good aim. "Well, it's now or never. I either kill him or he kills me.". Bakeovich does his best to stop shaking, aims at the lobsterman and fires. He hits the lobsterman, but he's still standing. The lobsterman fires another shot at him, but luckily, he misses. The lobsterman tries to get away by heading for the elevator, but finds out that the elevator was blown up by the explosion of a Sonic Pulser. Bakeovich fires again and hits the lobsterman, killing him. The crash site mission is finally over. Bakeovich expects a promotion, but since two of his teammates died during the mission he's kept as an Able Seaman.

in other words, Able Seaman Bakeovich did manage to kill all those lobstermans and finish the mission.
here are the final screenshots:

[quote name='j'ordos' date='Oct 3 2003, 05:19 AM']And how many times did you have to load for that? :wink:[/quote]
hmmm... about 12 ^_^

still gave a nice story and a happy ending :P
maybe i should write x-com stories, or try out at the CTD or something

anyways, more screenshots: my finances and score

i am hyper happy :D :D
i have reached a point in the game that i had never reached before since i always lost my game before :P
right now, my situation is 200%. i'll explain why:
- my income keeps increasing and the occasional selling of items that just bulk up the stores helps to keep up my extreme spending :LOL:
- by finally getting a live Deep One i have now researched Ion Armour, Magnetic Ion Armour, M.C. Lab and M.C. Reader and am researching the New Fighter Flying Sub (Manta). also, since the research on the Displacer Pulse Launcher was finished i will surely waste those alien colonies now ;)
- i now have 3 bases that are estabilishing a defensive perimeter around Eurasia (in other words, no USOs get through them. of course since i only have Barracudas some USOs manage to outrun them). also, no terror sites since i stop most of the USOs.
- it seems a Large USO that outrun one of my Barracudas had the nerve of estabilishing an Alien Colony just some meters away of my main base. it will be wasted in no time for sure :)
anyways, it seems that i will finally be able to finish TFTD at this rate. if anyone's interested here's my progress on the research tree (green = researched, yellow = under research). of those not shown, i've researched all Gauss technology except Gauss Defence and Coelecanth / Gauss. i've also researched some alien corpsess / live aliens. Edited by SupSuper

One lil' favor please - whe you'll be just about to go to the T'Leth make a savegame and post it here. I would like to see this 'mighty' Alien City. (I know I'm impatient....)

[quote name='Extralucas' date='Oct 3 2003, 07:06 PM']One lil' favor please - whe you'll be just about to go to the T'Leth make a savegame and post it here. I would like to see this 'mighty' Alien City. (I know I'm impatient....)[/quote]
sure will. i can't wait to see the animated version of the final movie :) (DOS version's movies are made of frames, text and music). actually i have a saved game where u have pratically everything to go to T'leth, but it's for DOS version so i don't know if it works with Windows version (although it should) nor where the cd that has it is :P so you'll have to wait.
what i can tell you (since i have played the T'Leth) is that it's made of 3 LEVELS (first like an artefact site, second like an colony site and third totally new tileset). also, SWS are no use on the third level since doors are too small for them and walls are indestructible (unlike in alien colonies / second level of T'Leth).

anyways, i'm gonna annihilate that goddamn colony (since it makes Scandinavia stop funding in the end of the month). the Trition has landed and all my men are ready to waste some alien donkey. Magnetic Ion Armours, Sonic Cannons, Disruptor Pulse Launchers and Sonic Pulsers (all its missing are Displacers / Sonic) will make the aliens sorry for being there :P

[quote name='dipstick' date='Oct 4 2003, 08:23 AM']Good luck - but you do seem to work your men too hard!  I have never run out of energy![/quote]
u haven't?!?!? :blink:
my men keep running out of energy all the time. then again, that's what makes them get more energy in the future :)

well, all i hope for is that my really good soldiers don't get MCed (specially the ones with disruptor pulse launchers) since the MC Lab is still under construction thus they don't have much resistance.

I haven't played TFTD for a while now, but in my only game I was on the top level on an alien activity site (still saved on beginnning on Lv2!) I had one guy, my top officer I believe, with a disruptor and EIGHT ammo. He couldn't carry it all, so another soldier helped. I kept him veeeeeeeerry close to my triton, and when at the end of a turn, I had an alien in my sights, but no TUs, I would fire one as emergency cover fire. BOOOM dead alien, every time :D never got attacked really, except when there was multiple aliens. The launcher is incredibly good for friendly fire though <_<

i quite like the Disruptor Pulse Launcher, specially the waypoint system that allows the torpedo to hit virtually anyhwere :D
but it's true, it can be deadly towards your own men if you're not careful -_-

anyways, on the colony topic: the x-ray bug still stands, a guy spots a hallucinoid (it's a 4square alien in a colony so it's bound to be a hallucinoid) deep inside the colony and no line of fire on it. Edited by SupSuper

Well, kill tasoths on sight, I believe that they are the ones who do most of the mcing. Aquatoid commanders are a close second (I think),

You should probably screen your men as soon as your mc lab is ready.

[quote name='dipstick' date='Oct 5 2003, 10:22 AM']Aren't tasoths the dinosaurs?  They just pick me off with sonic cannons.....

You do seem to have a destructive streak - why don't you join up with BTA?[/quote]
Tasoth are more like ..whatever, can't find the word. The dinosaurs are the Triscene's. 4 square Jurassic Parc Tyrannosauruses loaded with sonic weaponry. They remind me of this stupid cartoon where 2 groups of human fight against each other, one with friendly dinosaurs, the evil ones with Mind Control caps on the dinosaurs :blink:

I admire you SupSuper :). The game I'm playing, I cheated my way through the aliens by hiring tonz of guys and sacking the ones with MC strength below 80 after 3 months. Of course my best men were low MC strength, so I felt pity for them and put them in another squad that goes after Lobsterman ships....they don't MC ;)

It's kinda ridicilous that scientists on your base cannot do a psychological screening when hiring men so they can test the aquanauts willpower (eg. MC strength). So I decided to do that for them ^_^.

I also had the tech tree in front of me and teched really hard for sonic weaponry and disruptor pulse launcers. Alien Colonies are no probs at all: 3 shots at lvl1 and I can enter, 1 shot at the synomium device and I'm outta here :D

Also, you should only use 1 rifle (sonic cannon/rifle) in your hands. With a TA of 75 I get an accuracy of 110% at aimed for a sonic cannon, but when I also have an item in my other hand, it drops to about 80%. So it's worth it

[quote name='Darkvater' date='Oct 5 2003, 05:48 AM']-[quote name='dipstick' date='Oct 5 2003, 10:22 AM'] Aren't tasoths the dinosaurs?  They just pick me off with sonic cannons.....

You do seem to have a destructive streak - why don't you join up with BTA?[/quote]
Tasoth are more like ..whatever, can't find the word. The dinosaurs are the Triscene's. 4 square Jurassic Parc Tyrannosauruses loaded with sonic weaponry. They remind me of this stupid cartoon where 2 groups of human fight against each other, one with friendly dinosaurs, the evil ones with Mind Control caps on the dinosaurs :blink:

I admire you SupSuper :). The game I'm playing, I cheated my way through the aliens by hiring tonz of guys and sacking the ones with MC strength below 80 after 3 months. Of course my best men were low MC strength, so I felt pity for them and put them in another squad that goes after Lobsterman ships....they don't MC ;)

It's kinda ridicilous that scientists on your base cannot do a psychological screening when hiring men so they can test the aquanauts willpower (eg. MC strength). So I decided to do that for them ^_^.

I also had the tech tree in front of me and teched really hard for sonic weaponry and disruptor pulse launcers. Alien Colonies are no probs at all: 3 shots at lvl1 and I can enter, 1 shot at the synomium device and I'm outta here :D

Also, you should only use 1 rifle (sonic cannon/rifle) in your hands. With a TA of 75 I get an accuracy of 110% at aimed for a sonic cannon, but when I also have an item in my other hand, it drops to about 80%. So it's worth it [/quote]
- What's BTA?
- I already killed all aliens in sight, but i know from my own experience that there are always nasty tasoths hiding somewhere MCing your soldiers. lots of work to find'em all and kill'em all on an alien colony mission so that MC stops.
- Tasoths are more like lizards ;)
- MC Lab is still under construction
- I know you should only carry one sonic cannon/rifle in your hand, the guys with DPLs are the only ones to have 2 things in their hands since a DPL isn't very good for reaction shots (tend to hit friendly soldiers) and i don't want to waste all my precious DPL ammo on killing single aliens. i'm also careful on where to use the DPL so i don't desintegrate any valuable equipment ;)

Yup tasoths are like lizard men. Have you ever seen that really old johnny quest episode where they are on this boat, and an unstoppable humanoid thing comes from underwater? Tasoths are kind of like that, except that they can control your mind and carry guns.

ok, i've got a little bitsy problem. my men simply can't resist the massive MCing and keep killing themselves.
so i have two choices:
- keep trying to avoid damage from the MCing.
- abort the mission and let the colony make Scandinavia shutdown their funding, thus only raiding the colony when my man have enough training (which should be in 2 months since u can only start MC training on the start of the month).

which solution do you think it's best?

[quote name='dipstick' date='Oct 5 2003, 12:54 PM']I agree, you will lose what, 100-200k tops?

Ooooh, thats a lot!  :o  :wink:[/quote]
500k, actually.
and, imo, that is something to take in account when u have 3 bases to sustain -_-
still, i'll take your advice.

fine, fine. and... oh no!

"Red Alert! Red Alert! All pilots report to sub pens at once. Lots of UFOs are being detected and we need all available Barracudas to take them out."

only problem is that 2 of my 4 Barracudas are refuelling and therefore can't takeoff :cussing:

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Oct 5 2003, 02:09 PM']You know you can assing interceptors (barracudas) to attack another ufo before they return to base.[/quote]
problem is, since they had to come from the base on the other side of Eurasia, they only had enough fuel to take down one of the USOs.
so, to calm things down, i decided to go raid an old crash site...
and now, i've seen everything. a tasoth that survived a direct hit from a Disruptor Pulse Launcher :o i mean, i know lobstermans can resist it, but a tasoth?!?

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Oct 5 2003, 02:37 PM']He got lucky. Hit him with another 3 and see if he dies. If he doesn't, I will be very scared.  :)[/quote]
well, he resisted two more sonic shots from other soldiers :o

You probably don't want to manufacture too many mantas. The hangar space is spent better on leviathans. Just nab a lobster commander. :D

Now displacers are always a good thing to have. Damn near eliminate the tentaculat problem is used correctly.

dammit, my situation is going back to what started this thread! :crying:

my Barracudas are again under heavy repairs (nasty Dreadnought!) and the only available ones are always too far away. colonies are popping up all over the place since i have been unable to stop a single UFO (damn i hope the Manta production hurries! btw, does anyone know how to remove weapons from crafts - that is, without replacing them with different ones?). also, since the UFOs have been unstoppable my score is going down again and a terror site has popped up.

my results on that terror site aren't being too nice either. the minute i step out of the Triton, BOOM, a sonic pulser right on the poor soldier :crying:

what am i going to do?!? :cussing: Edited by SupSuper

Well, that was funny. A lobsterman stunned himself when trying to hit one of my own soldiers (which had hit him) :LOL:

anyways, terror site's over, lots of wreckage (bio-drones + lobstermans = damage everywhere) and my Barracudas are finally repaired so things are stabilizing.
since i need a free subpen to produce a Manta and i don't want to sell one of my Barracudas (since it's cheaper to just transfer it to base 3 when their subpen is ready) i'm going to produce some Displacer / Sonics. they may be handy on colonies / artefact sites since they can't be MCed but it's hard to move around with them since there are many tight spots that require lots of wall destroying :P
still, they'll also be handy on small crash sites (take care of the job quickly).