XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Forum Members In Tftd (discussion)

Ok, got enuff recruits to start now, but wanted to hammer out a few things before getting started:

1- version? v1.0 means you can get mag. ion armor and advanced subs without a live Deep One, while v2.0 means you don't havta wait until capturing a live lobsterman navigator for magnetic navigation and fewer bugs...

2- Xcomutil? It makes gauss weapons more useful, but it also crashes more often, in my experience.

3- RPG? People seem interested in having a little more control in character creation, and I'm willing to work with it, but I don't want a buncha super soldiers running around...So, how to implement it?

So lets hear it...what do YOU think?

-Crus8r

I haven't played TFTD very much, so I wouldn't know about what version or XComUtil...

For the RPG, give all characters the lowest stats in the game, then give them a certain number of points to distribute as they please. Set limits on how low/high the stats can be. That way, everyone gets the units they want, without being overpowered.

I'd say use V2.0. Superhuman is very difficult as it is, and being able to wear Ion Armour early on and using the transmission resolver can even the odds a bit. Besides, it could be our first major mission goal. Capture a deep one. Maybe you can put up a prize (like a free stat boost) for the first guy to drag a stunned Deep One back to the Triton and actually get it back home. ;)

As for XComutil, I'd rather stick to the original gauss weapons. Hey, the ammo is cheap, can be built incredibly fast, and you get tons of ammo in their respective clips already (barring the heavy gauss). Sure, no infinite ammo means you have to be more careful, but that's not to say you cannot do it, right? Me, I'm planning to migrate to the gauss pistol with its scrumptious 20 bullet clip for a while.

As for RPG elements, eh, whatever floats your boat, just as long as it doesn't make the game more tedious and less fun. I find being able to customise your equipment (after taking into account your stats) more than enough customisation, thank you.

- NKF

OK, I think we'll go with v2.0 and no xcomutil.

As for RPG, I've asked SupSuper if we can use his soldier customizer for the game. I'm thinking it might be interesting to leave the mental stats (Psi Strength and Bravery) random, and let people tailor the other stats, subject to some limits. I tested soldier stats by hiring 100 rookies in-game then checking their stats to determine min/max values:

TU - 50 - 60
Sta - 40 - 70
Hth - 25 - 40
Rxn - 30 - 60
FA - 40 - 70
TA - 50 - 80
Str - 20 - 40
(BTW, props to Robo Dojo for posting all this data a couple days ago, my findings matched with his almost exactly). Average value of all stats (including Bravery) was 377 points, so the 360 points allowed by the customizer should match well (since we're letting the game determine bravery...)

Improvements to begining stats must be earned, and will be lost upon death, but I am willing to restore stats to beginning levels on replacement.

Comments?

-Crus8r

Cool, SupSuper gave us the nod, so if you wanna customize your soldier, download the program[url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type%3d%70ost&id=67255"]here[/url]

I'd rather everyone stay within the min/max values of the game for rookies, and remember that you don't need to spend any points on Bravery (it will be determined randomly by the game, along with Psi Strength).

If you wanna just take what the game gives ya, thats cool too.

Post the .stt files along with equipment choices and anything else about your soldier in the General Stores thread for the game.

-Crus8r

• 4 weeks later...
I get this suspicious feeling that the game's setting me up for a fall, what with all the advanced promotions considering how little I've done (the first few kills were impressive, mind, but they don't merit an extra pip on my badge) . :)

- NKF Edited by NKF

Don't worry, NKF. Taking falls is my job. ^_^

Man, my agent has his stats growing much faster than the other agents. Dart pistols rule. But, I was a little upset when I saw him with a thermic lance. I guess no one else is willing to get the live aliens that Crus8r needs... ;)

NKF, your promotion was no surprise...I find that unless he manages to get killed, the first agent to make officer will also be the first one promoted later. As the manual sez, when you reach the requirements for Commander "the best available lieutenant will be promoted." Same for Lieutenant...we had 3 ensigns, Deathskull, Puasonen, and Judge_Deadd. No surprise that Deathskull and Puasonen got the promotions, they've been on every mission, while Judge has spent more time in the hospital than out. :P

Barring an untimely death, I have every expectation that you'll be Captain eventually, NKF. ^_^

I was a little surprised at the promotions to Ensign...I dunno why [b]I[/b] got promoted, several agents have more kills and/or missions. :huh?: I was happy that Mamutas got promoted tho...last mission was VERY frustrating for him, three times he opened a door, only to have no line of fire, so someone else gets to shoot the alien!!

About the thermal tazer: Captures weren't at all a priority last mission, but you never know...I have had Tasoth or Lobstermen show up in the first month before, esp. on Superhuman. A dart pistol would absolutely useless against either, while the tazer at least stands a chance of putting them down...and if Tasoth show up, we might need to stun ppl who get controlled. Mikker (who specified grenades and NO gun) was also toting a Thermal Tazer, and a couple other guys had them in their backpacks. Besides, Robo Dojo, you have good strength, light equipment, and a free hand...you were also carrying a medikit :P

- Crus8r

I think thermal tazers rock inside UFOs, so I think it was a good idea to bring them along (I once had this "first month Lobsterman" impossibility, and luckily I had enough thermal tazers for every soldier).

Good thing we can get intact UFO missions without losses though, that means the group is getting strong overall (ok, I know this was just aquatoids, but we gotta have our moment, no?)

BTW: Good playing Crus8r

Good to see that progress is going well.

I have a question about the Dos Box program. As its name implys its for dos programs correct? Is it hard to use this program with other dos programs or does it take some fiddling aruond with? Oh and is there a way to run TFTD in windows with the CE edition?

hehe hope you have good future luck.
:hammer:

DOSbox is for DOS programs, if you're lucky, all you have to do is alter the CPU cycles&frameskip (just pressing a few buttons ingame) to get the correct speed. Sometimes however, the game is not yet supported (fully). Check the homepage for the games compatibility list.
TFTD CE should run in windows :)

• 2 weeks later...
wow i seem to have cast off my usual crappy luck on this game

i actually killed summat!!!!!!!

when i play tftd jeeves is killed first without exeption even if hes in the back of the triton!!!

• 1 month later...
[quote name='floater medic' date='May 20 2004, 02:30 PM']DUDE?!?!?!??!?!?

have u bin struck by lightening again i wanna see jeeves kick some alien donkey!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
:D
Guess he fooled us big time! He's not coming back.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Puasonen' date='May 21 2004, 02:07 AM'][quote name='floater medic' date='May 20 2004, 02:30 PM'] DUDE?!?!?!??!?!?

have u bin struck by lightening again i wanna see jeeves kick some alien donkey!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
:D
Guess he fooled us big time! He's not coming back. [/quote]
Id stop posting if I had to post EVERYTHING I did in the game