XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Forum Members In Tftd: The Game

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've already taken steps to reduce server load...I have been using pngcrush on all screenies since the Gauss Rifle post. On average, this reduces the size by about 33% (tho it only squeezed the research pic 2 BYTES...those are probably already optimized).

I've also changed to text-based stats. That not only reduces server load, but lets me post updates when my ISP is being too flakey to let me upload pics (a lot lately :sly: )

Pngcrush is a command line utility, so its not the easiest program to use, but it does squeeze .png's down very effectively...give it a try!

- Crus8r

PS - as mentioned, my ISP is being strange again/still...I'll finish posting the current battle ASAP.

I respectfully request to not go anywhere near that Cpl. Facehugger psycho, sir! :unsure:

[b]Turn 3:[/b]
Deathskull:"NW corner clear, Sir! We're moving South along the Western edge now...no aliens in sight."

Puasonen:"Blue team reporting NE corner clear as well, turning South along Eastern edge."

Judge_Deadd:"Gold team has secured the middle of the map...no other aliens sighted...USO-5 appears to be intact, no hull breaches or smoke detected."

[b]Alien Turn:[/b]
*Lots of sub door noises, and some movement inside the sub, but no aliens spotted*

[b]Turn 4:[/b]
*Everyone continues to move, searching for aliens and checking the wreckage. Red team moves up the starboard side of the alien vessel <its facing south> while Gold team covers the portside, and Blue team moves to check more wreckage in the SE corner of the map.*

*no door noises, just movement inside sub*

[b]Turn 5:[/b]
*Red team finishes searching the western mapedge, then moves to cover the doors of the alien sub from the starboard side, while Gold team covers them from the portside. Blue team continues to check the wreckage on the east side of the map, moving toward the SE corner...no aliens spotted*

Judge_Deadd:"Sir, we've made a visual inspection of USO-5's hull...There are no hull breaches, smoke, or other signs of damage visible from the exterior. Red and Gold teams are preparing to move in next turn..." Edited by Crus8r

*Door noises from inside alien sub...Suddenly, the front doors open and an Aquatoid steps out and fires at Robo Dojo-1!* *Zzortch!* *The brilliant green bolt narrowly misses him and blows a gaping hole in the wreckage behind him!*

Robo Dojo:"Whooaa!" *Reaction fires* *Wakk!* *The dart strikes the Aquatoid squarely in the chest, but fails to kill him. The aquatoid immediately retreats back into the sub...beyond him, Robo Dojo glimpses another aquatoid moving in the starboard chamber of the sub*

[b]Turn 6:[/b]
Robo Dojo-1:"Oh no, you don't" *Moves toward sub doors*

"Hang on there, Soldier! Centurion, open the doors and be ready to back him up if neccessary..."

*Centurion opens doors, revealing the aquatoid just inside*

Robo Dojo-1:"He's mine!" *Whak! Pakk!* *Aquatoid screams and collapses* "WooHoo!!...I got him!!" :happybanana:

[b]Still Turn 6:[/b]

Centurion-1:"Sir, entry area is clear...shall we proceed inside?"

"Gold team, proceed inside while Red team covers you...use caution, there's at least one more in the room to the left..."

Mamutas:"C'mon, BannanaBomb, let's check it out!" *They move into sub, Mamutas opens starboard door* "Whoa! There's an aquatoid in here, but I can't get a shot without going inside, and he's covering the door!"

Centurion-1:"Well, step outta the way, then!" *Mamutas moves, Centurion shoots* *K-Whar!* *Whakk!* *Aquatoid dies* "He's down!"

[b]Still Turn 6:[/b]
Mamutas:"Checking the portside room...Damn! Another aquatoid, and I STILL can't getta shot!!" :cussing:

BannanaBomb:"I can!" ^_^ *Zzt!* *Zrkk!* *Whak!* *The first shot goes high, scortching the wall behind the alien, but before it can react, the second beam hits it in the head, splattering its brains across the Ion Beam Accelerator behind it* "Got it!"

Puasonen:"SE corner clear, sir. Blue team is heading towards the alien vessel."

*movement detected in the aft compartment of the alien vessel*

[b]Turn 7:[/b]
Judge_Deadd:"Gold team has cleared the front rooms of the sub...checking the aft compartment now..."

*Mamutas opens door, sees no aliens, starts to step through*

DaiShiva:"Wait! There's an aquatoid around the corner! Too close for explosives..." *fast-draws gauss pistol from belt* "Uhhh...you might wanna step back, Mamutas!"

*Mamutas jumps outta the line of fire* *Zzt! Zrk! Zzrt!* *The first shot goes wide, hitting the doorframe right where Mamutas had been a moment before, but the next two shots are true, burning into the aquatoid's corpse as it screams in death!!*

DaiShiva:"Alien down!!"

*Everyone else moves; Red and Gold teams cover the aft compartment in case there's another alien hiding back there, while blue team finishes checking the last unexplored areas of the map and approaches the sub.*

*End of Mission*

Good work! No KIA's in whole mission! Now put Puasonen in to some action! :)

[b]Mission Debriefing, Crash Site-5:[/b]

Casualty List:
None!! :rock:

"GREAT job, everyone! Not only did we recover a completely intact cruiser, but we did so without casualties!! I would like to personally commend all members of the away team for their excellent performance."

"Science Division is very happy with the new toys we've provided them. The recovery of an intact larger alien vessel has given us many insights into the alien's technology, and promises many more with further study."

"Our new weaponry performed splendidly, meeting or exceeding our expectations. Field performance data from this mission has shown that the gauss rifle outperforms the harpoon rifle in every way, and I've ordered Engineering to produce enough to completely replace all harpoon rifles in inventory. The gauss pistol has also proven to be highly effective, especially against the physically frailer aquatoids."

"I would like to congratulate Mustang, Centurion-1, DaiShiva, Jeeves, and BannanaBomb for their promotion to Able Seaman. Lieutenant NKF has been promoted to Commander, while Ensign Deathskull and Ensign Puasonen have been promoted to Lieutenant. Finally, Jenny, Crus8r-1, and Mamutas have been promoted to Ensign. Congrats to all our new officers!"

[b]Captain's Log, Jan 26, 2040:[/b]

"Our new Wide-Array Sonar facilities came online this morning, vastly increasing the range at which we can detect Alien craft. Reports from Science Division indicate a very high probability that we can develop a new 'Hyperwave Decoder' once we've reverse-engineered the alien navagational systems. I've directed them to begin that research when they've completed the current project (Sonic Pulsers). Our #1 research priority right now is armor, but unfortunately, it seems we're missing some critical piece of information, and our efforts remain thwarted."

"Construction at our second base is on schedule, with living quarters and stores coming online...it will be ready to support operations as soon as the sub pens are completed early next month."

[b]Jan 30, 2040:[/b]

"Science Division has completed research on sonic pulsers, which will be a huge improvement over magna-blast grenades. They have turned their efforts to deciphering the alien navagational systems. In an effort to speed up research somewhat, we've hired 15 more scientists (all our lab facilities will support), although they won't arrive until after the first (avoiding their maintenance costs this month :devillaugh: )."

"The Quartermaster reports that Engineering has replaced all harpoon rifles with gauss rifles, and our technicians are now producing ammo and extra gauss rifles to replace torpedo launchers and hydro-jet cannons on land missions."

• 4 weeks later...
tidied this one up.
discuss crus8r's absence here : [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4274"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4274[/url]
and the game here : [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3854"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3854[/url]