XCOMUFO & Xenocide

One....hectic....february...

Okay - first februrary, beginner deficulty, boy that was tough. You guys who say that TFTD is EASIER then X-com: You just skipped past this month, man...

First, all those small cute usos. I research gauss and no problem there.

Then a harbour terror site came up - errr.... No problem. I killed everything (didn't get killed...), so i got 6-700 points quite easily. Then another one poped op, a terror site on a beach. I though, WTF, 2 terror sites in a row :WTF: but went along with it. Ok, that wasn't that bad, only those good-for-nothing gillmen again. Killed him without a sweat.

Then the big surprise: After a small sub mission, a terror site on a SHIP came up. God knows how i got this, but i went with the flow. It's your common ship mission, taseths trying to mindcontrol me (didn't get to :NyaNyaNya: ), Tricenes trying to blow me heads clean off, and you know the rest. Needless to say, things got quite out of hand pretty quickly. Good thing i was cheating, don't you think?

Most of the aliens (20-30 i think) were on the upper level. The lower was very dark and empty. I think i only saw about 10 down there. Over with that mission.
Now, after another little small sub mission (acturly not THAT little, it was LOBSTERMEN!), i got......another ship rute mission. 4 terror sites within half a month?!

I got this one quite the same was as the other. Quite odd, i never REALLY had trouble with finding the last alien in these missions, at least not the 100+ turns that some players have been getting. So that was over too.

Now the shock. 2 large ufos and 1 very large ufo attacked the seas right off USA. Ok, so i sent out my uboats to attack one of the large ufos, and then i saw that the very large one landed very close to my europe base, right off iceland. I couldn't resist the goodies that the VL ufo may have so i sent in my crew. Bad idea. It was lobstermen. So many lobsters that it could feed 500 hungree gourmets for a year. That took some time to get over with. I even managed to capture a live commander! Yeah, not BASE commander, but good enough for me!

Killing lobsters with gauss isn't that hard as you might think. Just team up your guys in groups of 3-4 or so, and send out barrages of beams, 6-7 should be enough to kill even the strongest lobster. Boil it in hot sea-water for a couple of turns and voila, la lobster alla Surprime!

Now, i also needed to raid the landed large ship, and the downed ship (properly 2 terror ships, or freighters, although i lean most to the freigters, as the terror ships could blew up my uboats easily). Nothing too special about these.

Now. I though about it and got to the conclusion, that where the second large alien USO landed, there should be an alien base. There was, so i raided it. I had just completed research on the sonic cannon + clip, so i equipted a few to my team. They are quite bulky, but can really help with taking down a lobsterman.

First level, problems. I think there were arround 30, maybe more, aliens here. Ugh... And this time, mindcontrol really was bad for me. But not to worry, they couldn't really harm anyone as they had dropped their weapons :devillaugh:.

Next level, it was as dark and empty as the second level of my first ship rute mission. About 10 lobstermen. No biggie. I even mannaged to capture the 2 lobstermen BASE commanders, and a tentaculat :P

Now, how many point's did i get for all this work of the entire month? 7.000 points, 2.000 for the base raid, and 3.000 for the terror missions, plus the rest for the other missions. Heh. And that's not all, in these months, i ended up capturing 31 live aliens!

Gilman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Gillman Squad leader
Lobsterman Technician
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Technician
Bio-Drone Terrorist
Triscene Terrorist
Lobsterman Soldier
Tentaculat Terrorist
Tasoth Soldier
Lobsterman Commander (Craft Commander)
Lobsterman Technician
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Technician
Lobsterman Technician
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Commander (Base Commander)
Tasoth Squad Leader
Tentaculat Terrorist
Tasoth Soldier
Tasoth Soldier
Bio-Drone Terrorist
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Technician

In the end of the month, i researched the Triscene, and the psi room, and began building my psi room.

Good job for the second month of the game, eh? :hmmm:

Man, you're doing much better than me! The friggin' Aliens took away the USA from me, even though I so nicely got rid of that Alien base off their shore. :(

Then, I got stuck fighting Lobstermen with grenades and harpoon guns. Those #^$@% things can really take a beating!

One of these days I'll beat the game! Good luck with yours, too, mikker :)

[quote name='mikker' date='Feb 18 2005, 06:25 PM']Good job for the second month of the game, eh?  :hmmm:
[right][post="111172"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Good job, indeed, but usually not too many types of aliens appear in february. I mean you can get lobsterman or tasoth aliens, but it didn't happen to me to get both types in a month on subs.
Which version of TFTD you said you have?

[quote name='Astyanax' date='Feb 18 2005, 11:31 PM']Good luck with yours, too, mikker :)
[right][post="111176"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Thanks!§

To Dan2:

I only get Tasoths in ship terror missions and in alien colonies, where they always appear, right?

I have CE, pathed by Mike's good stuff. (It screwed up my Sonic Blasta, maybe it also made the game Superhuman?! :noway: )

[quote name='mikker' date='Feb 18 2005, 06:41 PM']I only get Tasoths in ship terror missions and in alien colonies, where they always appear, right?

I have CE, pathed by Mike's good stuff. (It screwed up my Sonic Blasta, maybe it also made the game Superhuman?!  :noway: )
[right][post="111181"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Yes, you're right, for a moment I thought you said you find them in a sub, but you said terror ship. Strange, all my terrorized ships happen at the begining of the month, not in the middle of it, but I guess in your version it's different.
I don't think your game is on Superhuman, but you can check to see how much armor a Lobsterman has. I think it should be 42 for superhuman, so a sonic rifle will just tickle it, since the damage is halved. But with your skill I'll try the game on something meaner, like genius. Again, have fun :)

It's actually 24 armour for a superhuman soldier lobsterman, with 12 for under armour. 12 on beginner. I think it might've been 6 for under armour, but don't quote me on that.

Pretty small, but their resistance really chops a huge amount off your damage.

- NKF

[quote name='NKF' date='Feb 18 2005, 07:18 PM']It's actually 24 armour for a superhuman soldier lobsterman, with 12 for under armour. 12 on beginner. I think it might've been 6 for under armour, but don't quote me on that.

Pretty small, but their resistance really chops a huge amount off your damage.

- NKF
[right][post="111185"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Oh, sorry, i mixed the digits. :KooKoo: I should check the real values before I talk.
Even if the underarmor is twelve, I was never able to kill a healty lobsterman with a sonic pulser thrown right under it. But if the lobsterman is stunned I think it was possible.

Mikker, on veteran, gauss rifles barely scratch the shells of lobstermen...

in fact, you almost need blasta's or cannon's to kill them, it takes at least 20 good hits from a rifle and gauss cannon

[quote name='blehm' date='Feb 19 2005, 07:04 AM']Mikker, on veteran, gauss rifles barely scratch the shells of lobstermen...

in fact, you almost need blasta's or cannon's to kill them, it takes at least 20 good hits from a rifle and gauss cannon
[right][post="111210"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

ok, then it is properly beginner.

• 4 months later...
[quote name='mikker' date='Feb 18 2005, 05:25 PM']Okay - first februrary, beginner deficulty, boy that was tough. You guys who say that TFTD is EASIER then X-com: You just skipped past this month, man...

First, all those small cute usos. I research gauss and no problem there.

Then a harbour terror site came up - errr.... No problem. I killed everything (didn't get killed...), so i got 6-700 points quite easily. Then another one poped op, a terror site on a beach. I though, WTF, 2 terror sites in a row  :WTF: but went along with it. Ok, that wasn't that bad, only those good-for-nothing gillmen again. Killed him without a sweat.

Then the big surprise: After a small sub mission, a terror site on a SHIP came up. God knows how i got this, but i went with the flow. It's your common ship mission, taseths trying to mindcontrol me (didn't get to  :NyaNyaNya: ), Tricenes trying to blow me heads clean off, and you know the rest. Needless to say, things got quite out of hand pretty quickly. Good thing i was cheating, don't you think?

Most of the aliens (20-30 i think) were on the upper level. The lower was very dark and empty. I think i only saw about 10 down there. Over with that mission.
Now, after another little small sub mission (acturly not THAT little, it was LOBSTERMEN!), i got......another ship rute mission. 4 terror sites within half a month?!

I got this one quite the same was as the other. Quite odd, i never REALLY had trouble with finding the last alien in these missions, at least not the 100+ turns that some players have been getting. So that was over too.

Now the shock. 2 large ufos and 1 very large ufo attacked the seas right off USA. Ok, so i sent out my uboats to attack one of the large ufos, and then i saw that the very large one landed very close to my europe base, right off iceland. I couldn't resist the goodies that the VL ufo may have so i sent in my crew. Bad idea. It was lobstermen. So many lobsters that it could feed 500 hungree gourmets for a year. That took some time to get over with. I even managed to capture a live commander! Yeah, not BASE commander, but good enough for me!

Killing lobsters with gauss isn't that hard as you might think. Just team up your guys in groups of 3-4 or so, and send out barrages of beams, 6-7 should be enough to kill even the strongest lobster. Boil it in hot sea-water for a couple of turns and voila, la lobster alla Surprime!

Now, i also needed to raid the landed large ship, and the downed ship (properly 2 terror ships, or  freighters, although i lean most to the freigters, as the terror ships could blew up my uboats easily). Nothing too special about these.

Now. I though about it and got to the conclusion, that where the second large alien USO landed, there should be an alien base. There was, so i raided it. I had just completed research on the sonic cannon + clip, so i equipted a few to my team. They are quite bulky, but can really help with taking down a lobsterman.

First level, problems. I think there were arround 30, maybe more, aliens here. Ugh... And this time, mindcontrol really was bad for me. But not to worry, they couldn't really harm anyone as they had dropped their weapons  :devillaugh:.

Next level, it was as dark and empty as the second level of my first ship rute mission. About 10 lobstermen. No biggie. I even mannaged to capture the 2 lobstermen BASE commanders, and a tentaculat :P

Now, how many point's did i get for all this work of the entire month? 7.000 points, 2.000 for the base raid, and 3.000 for the terror missions, plus the rest for the other missions. Heh. And that's not all, in these months, i ended up capturing 31 live aliens!

Gilman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Gillman Squad leader
Lobsterman Technician
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Technician
Bio-Drone Terrorist
Triscene Terrorist
Lobsterman Soldier
Tentaculat Terrorist
Tasoth Soldier
Lobsterman Commander (Craft Commander)
Lobsterman Technician
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Technician
Lobsterman Technician
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Tasoth Squad Leader
Tentaculat Terrorist
Tasoth Soldier
Tasoth Soldier
Bio-Drone Terrorist
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Soldier
Lobsterman Technician

In the end of the month, i researched the Triscene, and the psi room, and began building my psi room.

Good job for the second month of the game, eh?  :hmmm:
[right][post="111172"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
ck out what happend to me in february gill man,on superhuman,attack my base ive got 10 gauss rifle and few grenades enjoy the battle...... :WTF: Edited by middlefinger

If you were on higher than veteran and didn't get attacked within the first week then you are very lucky. I always get attacked by the aliens on the first week, and believe me, when that happens, you really learn what calcinites can do if they get too close... I mean, i had a calcinite kill 6 men in one turn once

• 6 months later...
[quote name='blue123' date='Jan 29 2006, 08:16 AM']Heh. I got a terror site on the last day of Jan. Sent in my Triton, entire crew killed in one turn. Game over. And that was the easiest setting.[/quote]
Yup, the game is almost on the edge of unfair toward the player, but this is actually what keeps the players still play it.
Saving before the mission is not a sin, if everything goes wrong, I guess you can at least try again

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='dan2' date='Feb 2 2006, 08:52 PM'][quote name='blue123' date='Jan 29 2006, 08:16 AM']Heh. I got a terror site on the last day of Jan. Sent in my Triton, entire crew killed in one turn. Game over. And that was the easiest setting.[/quote]
Yup, the game is almost on the edge of unfair toward the player, but this is actually what keeps the players still play it.
Saving before the mission is not a sin, if everything goes wrong, I guess you can at least try again
[right][post="145701"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

its that old F6 quicksave F7 quickload routine
I found myself doing this more and more as I played into the game. Looking for a last alien on a terror site for example, Id save and just run everyone around in a sweep, blasting my way thought buildings till I found the bugger. Then reload, go straight there, kill it.
Now I play with 6 spare slots at the bottom of the save games. The first slot is the mission start, and I only allow myself 5 more saves. Makes it harder but so far I only lost 1 aquanaut that i've had from the beggining. And I made the bastard pay who done it.

[quote name='Blehm 98' date='Feb 25 2006, 02:23 AM']i have three geoscape slots, three battlescape slots, and they go b1, b2, b3, etc

i just add a number, right now i'm on g60 and b71
[right][post="147184"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

more organised I suppose - might plagurise that idea

Blehm do you want a 2 player game of UFO2000? :))