XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND-Fear Concept-Dark Ambient

chrisp_21

Hello again. I've been MIA for several months (too much work), but I thought I would post this concept I came up with a few months ago. I'm working on programming right now, but I'll pop in from time to time. :-) I would also like to set up a website hosting all of the xeno music that has been contributed to the project. There's a lot of great stuff. Picking what goes into the final game is going to be impossible.

So anyway, here's my concept. I was going for the mood of a terror mission. I never finished it, but I figured I may as well post it. It's an idea.

http://stormhaven.ecn.purdue.edu/~djchrisp...ear_concept.mp3

-chrisp

PS - probably should mention that this is based on the original

Edited by chrisp_21

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent choice for music. You have a nice production; what did you use to make it?

My suggestion is to try to make it more musical if possible, for example maybe a gothic strings riff or something in there, or maybe a short oboe melody (seen it before, works well in a horror soundtrack). Maybe even a random crash to scare the player out of nowhere.

Regarding the website hosting music, we're doing that on this server already. I've been working on a web-based X-Net page that allows people to view all our models in realtime 3D, like they would see it the final game. I've included a pulldown list of streamin music selections that people have posted here, the only thing was I removed the titles in the list and made them generic for now. If the music members know which areas each song is geared towards, feel free to PM me with "Song 2 is for the planetview", and I'll update the list. I can keep adding more songs to the list, so if anything's missing just point me to the file (preferrably in mp3 format) and I'll add it in. A seperate page or even thread can also be made for music-only access, preferrably the thread made discussing all the areas where music is needed.

The web page for the viewer is at http://www.projectxenocide.com/artassets/viewer/xnet.htm and the upper right corner has the song controls. Note the setup info link, the 3d part only works with IE as it's an IE plugin. The music should work with other browsers though.

Wow! Glad some people like it. I listened to it again several months after producing it and didn't think it sucked. Usually that's a good sign. :D Usually I'm slapping my forehead... That's why I thought I'd go ahead and post it.

On your comments..

ATeX: I'll try and take some out. I agree that it can be a bit heavy.

Robo Dojo 58: That's actually a good idea, and has been mentioned before. Actually going out and obtaining high quality samples of these types of sounds is extremely difficult. If anybody has any (loyalty free) samples of such things please post them! It would definitely help define the atmosphere. I don't have a mic that's nice enough for this task. These types of mics are typically very expensive.

Xer0: I used Sonar 2, Edirol Orchestral, Sound Forge, Reaktor 3, and some other miscelaneous plugins. My hardware was a Celeron 600 w/ 384MB, an Evolution keyboard, and an SbLive card. I recently upgraded to a P3 1Ghz, and believe it or not, that works fine for me. With Kx drivers I get under 10ms latency. I just can't upgrade my software. Acually I'm starting to migrate my studio towards linux no. Some very nice production software is really starting to pop up for it. It's all free too. Check out http://www.ardour.org/ for an example.

It would be cool to add some horror type elements to the music, as long as we don't cross the border into cheeziness (yeah I know.. me saying that..).

Breunor: I use Mozilla in Linux and didn't have any luck viewing that. I'll try and remember to do it while in Windows... which I usually just go into for producing these days (and those days are becoming fewer).

Regards,

chrisp

Ah, yeah I think it uses Media Player in the background to generate the player controls, so you'd need that as well. I felt safe in going that route since it would be a Windows based game for v1, sorry if that leaves out those taking the High Road of Linux. If my games all worked, I'd be there too!

Acually I'm starting to migrate my studio towards linux no. Some very nice production software is really starting to pop up for it. It's all free too. Check out http://www.ardour.org/ for an example.

Wow :blink: I didn't know that Linux had such high quality music programs. Maybe I should try those too once :D

I just can't wait to hear ur first composition on linux!! ^_^

There are some great games being made for Linux these days. Games and Music is what really kept me using Windows for so long. I still use it sometimes, but I think the day is coming where I won't really need to. The main reason I'm trying to switch to Linux is due to the fact that it runs much faster than Windows 98/ME and is still much more stable than XP. For example, I downloaded the Unreal 2004 demo for Linux and it runs at full speed with all detail and 1600x1200 resoultion on my P3 1Ghz w/ GeForce4. I'm not sure how that would match up with a P4 running XP, but I bet it's pretty competitive. None of this was really possible until the 2.6 kernel and ALSA drivers came out just recently. Linux is shaping up to be competitive with even OSX in regards to media development. The main reason I'm able to run Linux so fast, is because I was able to custom compile everything so it is optimized for my system. That's the one big advantage. At any rate, if you're a hardcore computer user with musical interests go ahead and give Linux a try. Otherwise, I would say keep an eye on what's going on with Linux music and use Windows for now. A few years from now it's going to be very attractive to ALL musicians. If you have the money, get a Mac. :-)

I'll definitely post some of what I do in Linux. It may still be awhile yet. I have a lot of other projects going on, and I'm still trying to focus on the programming side of Xenocide. There is an overwhelming amount of work that needs to be done there.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, once you really want to get into media, it's best to switch to a Mac. They are much better with music than PCs, but then again the format of a PC is much better.

Very true. The only problem is Macs are so $$$. Not just the hardware, but the software too. They're more than worth the money though, if you can afford them. If money were no object I'd have a G5, no... two G5's. :-)