XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - GAIA Missile Launcher

mikker

You can place them on the ufo if you like, although I wonder if they wouldn't be internal systems to reduce drag when entering the atmosphere?

You should download the block.3ds file linked at the top of the art asset list for scale, it is scaled to represent a 1m square by 2.5m box (or 40 inches square by 100 inches). The asset list is linked at the top of this forum.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great, where can i get the Weapon 3DS file though. I got the block file, i just like to keep in with the design. The weapons cant be enclosed totally, maybe a windshear cover that open and closes or like a torpido tube idea, atleast i can go play around with it.

Mikker hasn't finished working on them yet, so he has the only working copy. I would just leave an opening/space similar in proportions to the pics, and later you can scale his model and plug it in where you like.

Maybe ill be starting working on the laser cannon. But i'm quite buisy At the moment. I have alot of weapons currently to complete.

It would be much better to finish up current models before starting new ones. There's no rush on any particular model, take your time. Real life comes before this, we'll still be here.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

heres an opdated version of the quantum cannon, the one in the xnet was getting a bit old :)

polycount: 866

quantum.JPG

Nice. But the legnth of the weapon is kind of indicative of a beam weapon to me. The old one was more rounded and looked like a missile launcher (which is what the Quantum cannon is.)

Love the design though. We could keep it for V1+ when we add some new beam weapons to the game.

Well, it depends on the method of propulsion for the ammo, right? So a longer barrel or short one is fine IMO.

Quantum cannon sounds like a beam weapon to me. Usually when something in sci-fi mentions quanta they mean quanta of photons..

But at any rate, I think it's fine. The weapon is based on alien technology after all. If it fires torpedos, tho, it ought to have a way of loading said torpedos... and if it's to be external on the craft it ought to have an aerodynamic housing on the rear. Also, I would leave out the method of mounting (if that's what the plane at the top is for) because the mount isn't part of the weapon itself... and having a mount on the model restricts methods for mounting it later.

Comments?

it is supposed to be ablere to house 3 bombs/topedoes, so spacely it shouldn't be hard to contain. Loading could be done from the rear (a hatch that opens up), and the ammo feeder could be something very similar to those 6-shots revolvers?

If so, there would be nothing really stopping one from loading it tube-style like a shotgun. The thing is snub nosed enough there shouldn't be much problem lining two or three torpedos out behind it provided they have the same sort of shape as the guided footballs in xcom.. but I do like the revolver idea.

................................../.............|...........,----,

.... ________,---------=======-------,/__,'

..||'----] _[--,/ ..[________].....................'')

....'-----------\__[________]________,,--''`.

............................................................`.__\

[cannon]--[loader inside an aerodynamicshell]

note the fins are to disperse turbulence but that may make it look too similar to a bomb.. and the large fin on the top is a 'fastpack' hardpoint.

• 3 months later...

steady.........steady.........

BOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!

If you're in doubt, this is supposed to be the fussion launcher bomb.

somewierdlookingbombthinggy.jpg

That's a nice start for the design, I can see animated, emmisive textures in there giving it a powerful look. Remember the Universe from Men in Black? Sort of like that, a swirling inside to represent the Xenium and whatever else is used to make it.

I agree with Bruenor, its a good start but it needs a bit more refining. I'd have to take a look at the CTD entry for it but IMO the pannels on the sides should be inset a instead ofbreaking the aerodynamic lines and add a outer shell over the nose similar to todays missiles.

Oh yeah, about that Quantum Projectile, I'm not really sure about that one... looks like a cocktail shaker to me :)

edit: ok, that was about the first one, although I still think the same way, if slightly less. I think designing a projectile like this is pretty hard. It has to look agressive/dangerous, sleek and simple yet complicated, all at once...

Oh. Yeah. A coctail shaker. It'll fit nicely with my hair-drier, right? :unsure:

Xenocide 2: Terror of the Gadgets :LOL:

hmmm....any ideas to improve my shaker? Does the ends need improvement? I'll try to see about the misiles.

hmmm....any ideas to improve my shaker? Does the ends need improvement? I'll try to see about the misiles.

Well... I don't know :blink:

What I wouldn't do is make it look more like a missile however, it has to keep that alien feel to it

Another thought crosses my mind: do we need a UFOPaedia entry for the craft ammo? The original game didn't, except for the missiles but those didn't show the launchers :wacko:

(besides, if we do add that, I'll have to do that for the craft cannon as well :hammer: )

but IMO the pannels on the sides should be inset a instead ofbreaking the aerodynamic lines

Like this?

yeah thats better. now how about trying a version with the foreshell smoothe instead of panneled to make it look a little sleeker?

but IMO the pannels on the sides should be inset a instead ofbreaking the aerodynamic lines

Like this?

yeah thats better. now how about trying a version with the foreshell smoothe instead of panneled to make it look a little sleeker?

Like....

somewierdlookingbombthinggy3.jpg

somewierdlookingbombthinggy3b.jpg

Edited by mikker

• 10 months later...

bumpedy bumpedy bump.

Heres an update with the quantum cannon and my new design of a laser canon - more original then the previous.

cannons.JPG

• 4 months later...
Heres a radically diffrent approch to the Fusion Launcher / Quantum Cannon / Gaia Launcher.

Maybe not a bad idea, sice the drone has it's own propulsion system and is not propelled by an explosion. So the walls of the launcher don't have to be that thik like in the previous version.

I like the front half of it but I think that continuing those line alone into the back half makes it appear too plain. Ther needs to be something on that back half to add interest.

Maybe remove the "intakes" from the front and attach thm on the back and make them wider?

wider in the sense that they wrap around the casing more, not wider in that they stick out farther.

yeah, that was also what I did, but it appeared wrong.

• 6 months later...

OK, back on this one.

I removed the air intakes completely. Made it look too un-sleek, no matter where it was put. Instead, I put this in to counter the now bare area:

quantiumcannon.JPG