XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcom Book

XcomVic

How has ever read it? I have, it was actually pretty good. I bought it a few years back, can't find it now, but the point of this post, was for those who read it...

1. What did you think of it?

2. Do you think that some ideas from the book could be implemented?
Such as 'empty' military bases that have facilities/weapons/maybe an extra research.

3. Do you think they should have made a sequel to the book? Or at the very least have had them go to Cydonia? That really pissed me off that it ended after the base assault in the mountains though, I would have loved to have seen a movie based on that particular assault especially when they had 5 Avengers, 1 lightning, and a few Firestorms blowing crap all over the place.

Guest drewid
I didn't think it would win any awards, but not a bad read anyhow.

The bit with the fighting cows got me chuckling though. I thought that stretched it a bit.

Definitely one of those books that you can see in your head as you are reading it.

The is an idea been floated about having a restricted area to build a base into, perhaps an odd shape that could make defence difficult. It would be a version1.5 thing though I think.

I like the idea of being goven an existing facility and having to convert it as well. again could make base defence more difficult, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

i liked the way the MAIN scientist (forgot his name) was studying Etherals and trying to become one himself... that might be something to look into also.. implants/genetic research to improve player stats...

• 10 months later...
[quote name='XcomVic' date='May 22 2003, 08:40 AM']that might be something to look into also.. implants/genetic research to improve player stats...[/quote]
OOO OO OOO!!! Reaper Hybrids! :D

Big furry muthas that nibble on alien arms!!!

:idea: sectiod hybrids.......

"Benny, your head seems to be gettinb bigger"
"grrgg ffnnrrrr"
"Is it contagious?"

:devillaugh:

• 2 weeks later...
Is it good? :huh?: Or a waste of money? I've seen great games and some of the books made suck a bit. -_-

EDIT: If the book is equal to the fame of the game it REALLY must be a good book! :D Edited by Black Dash

• 9 months later...
[quote]Title of the book was: X-COM UFO Defense A Novel.
It was written by: Diane Duane
Published by: Prima Publishing

The name of the main scientist was Trenchard. I just finished rereading it.[/quote]

I read this years ago too, and from what I remember of it, its pacing and so forth, it was an entertaining read. I'm not sure how many total X-COM novels there were, but I know I have two buried in my garage somewhere.

If all else fails, I'd check out the local library. I am sometimes surprised at the books I find there, things that have long since gone out of print etc. Other than that, there's a post here by Mark0 a while back giving an amazon.com link which still worked for me...

[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761502351/isfdbinternes-20/103-3926286-1101455"]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/076...3926286-1101455[/url] Edited by Snakeman