XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-com: Apocalypse (steam) Savegame Error?

eliw00d

I bought X-COM: Apocalypse when it came out, and another copy years later when I bought the Collector's Edition, and now I bought the Steam version so I can install it anywhere. Strangely enough, they released the game with DOSBox; I was hoping that 2K would at least give it an upgrade to better work with Windows. Anyways, the game is running just fine, even with the occasional crash. However, I ran into a very big problem today: after attempting to shoot down some UFOs, mopping up the infiltration forces, returning to base and then ending the day...all seems well...until the start of the next day FREEZES! I have no idea how or why this happens, but the game just freezes whenever I get to the next day. I reload, try to do some things differently, but to no avail. I save at the start of every day, so I loaded that and just fast forwarded through it all to see if for some reason it happens at this point in the game...but no, it works just fine. What could I have done in the course of this day to cause the game to freeze? It is extremely frustrating because I played for a good chunk of the day and don't feel like reliving the horrors I faced (Superhuman difficulty, my agents don't have shields and the aliens have all their technology thrown against me). Any ideas? I attached the savegame files in hopes that maybe there is something I've never known, like some infamous bug or something. Thanks in advance.

SAVEGAME.rar

• 4 weeks later...

absolutely same problem here. except i've got three savegames - first two the day just before crash and the third one about a week of gametime ago, therefore i really don't want to get back from that... i attach my savegames also

edit: i use VDMSound and mouse2kv, XCOM APOC collector's ed.

SAVEGAME.rar

Edited by gizmo64

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xcomer968

exact problem here... shot down some ships, cleaned up some aliens ... the new day starts ... CRASH... anyone? btw, as for STEAM... those furking douche nozzles have been so so so unhelpful. I was in the middle of a TFTD game when I dloaded APOC... it caused TFTD to run like crap. I have tried and tried to contact those jackasses ... all i get is the usual bullsh$t. They couldn't care less. So, keep that in mind if you're thinking about purchasing anything from them. THEY SUCK AND THEY DON'T CARE IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS...

BUYER BEWARE.

If you cared to check the forums .. they altered TFTD to provide the DOS version run through DOSbox, rather than the CE version run natively. Whether this is a good or bad thing is debateable, but at least it should work equally well on all Steam-supported platforms now. Major problem is that the DOSbox.conf it comes with is badly configured. There should be a sticky on these forums regarding how to set up DOSbox for TFTD, but the key point is to increase the cycles limit.

As for apocalypse .. my understanding is that you can blame Hasbro for losing the source code and making future updates almost impossible.

Guest xcomer968
If you cared to check the forums .. they altered TFTD to provide the DOS version run through DOSbox, rather than the CE version run natively. Whether this is a good or bad thing is debateable, but at least it should work equally well on all Steam-supported platforms now. Major problem is that the DOSbox.conf it comes with is badly configured. There should be a sticky on these forums regarding how to set up DOSbox for TFTD, but the key point is to increase the cycles limit.

As for apocalypse .. my understanding is that you can blame Hasbro for losing the source code and making future updates almost impossible.

Dude,

Is it not fair to expect STEAM SUPPORT to know this kind of thing and direct me to the forums? In fact, I eventually did check the forums and adjusted the cycles limit, but it still is shoddy.

whatever. Steam support still is pathetic. *They* altered TFTD and then didn't give a flip.

Seems fair to me. There are, what, 140+ plus third party titles? And you want support to offer in depth support for each and every one? No. As it says in the support site, and more than likely in the answer you got from support, third party support comes from the third parties. If you checked the support site, you would have been told how to contact 2K. If you had posted on the forum, its quite possible that Jason2K would have responded to you if one of the community members hadn't gotten to your first - or actually reading forum threads would have solved this problem with no aggravation.

Steam is merely an online store when it comes to the third party titles, you wouldn't expect Gamestation or Amazon to resolve this kind of issue.

And, again, 2K altered TFTD, not Valve.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Looks like i found a solution to this problem. When such crash occurs, just load last saved game and before ending that day, order your vehicles to attack any building (for reason of reputation i recommend to attack temples of sirius). You must do much damage to building and defending forces. When i tried to shoot buildings for several times and return to base, it never worked. Also, not every building may help. Sometimes i destroyed building and defending fleet completely, and game still crashed. So you should try different buildings, if one not helped. Hope, this will help someone, cause i didn`t find any solutions on this problem and discovered this method by accident, when destroyed city, depressed by constant crash and dead saves :) I tried this method on saves from first post and Rilinds saves from his topic. Both times problem was solved.

• 1 year later...

I have experienced exactly the same kind of problem.

Can someone with knowledge probably think of WHAT can be causing it?

I am attaching four saves:

Save03 is the one where the freeze will happen on the next day.

Save02 is the morning of the said day. The failsafe one. If you load it and fast forward, you will have no crash on the next day.

In this day, an overspawn drop happened for me. I reloaded from this save because the first time police cars prevented the drop by attacking the ufo. After the drop, the dropper ufo immediately retreated to the portal (i didnt want to make it abort the drop so didnt attack at once). Then i waited till overspawn would do some damage and then finished it with my hawk. Then i did nothing except starting the research of course, and then the crash would happen on me.

By reloading and making a drop occur again (this time i downed the ufo in the process) i was able to make it to the next day without a crash.

Save04 is the one where the drop is complete.

Save01 is the one where ufo have just arrived.

Now, i followed the advice to wreck some havoc and IT WORKED! Too bad, i cannot afford attacking anyone since the city seems to be two big alliances and attacking cult immediately makes me allied to half of the city and enemy to other half. But i tried just attacking two random road vehicles of some enemy factions and it worked too!

The bug seems to be related showhow to the relationships between factions, probably some calculation is preformed at 00:00:00 and it hangs up if given some specific input parameters (when relationships are in some specific state that cannot be processed by this algorithm).

Now, can someone offer some thoughts on why is this happening, and what is the universal workaround (without need to destroy a building, preferably, without a need to do anything that harms your money or score)

EDIT: Thought it was possibly, this is related to city state, not relations. I tried to attack my own base with manual control and it too healed my save (prevented freeze).

I have however destroyed half of a SELF slum in a process, and looks like that was the key. I tried leveling my own base to the ground next and it didnt help (still freezed).

It thought it was maybe also related to existence of units (killing a unit solves the problem, since all cases that solve a problem involve killing units - aircraft or personell in buildings) - i tried levelling whole base to the ground including my personell but it didnt help either.

So it must be relations related in some way.

Also, it isnt definetly just any faction or amount of damage that helps. For example, chopping off a 4x1 column of cultist building (and receiving demands for money from cultist friends) didnt help, but killing two road vehicles around the map (and missing shots on the road as well) did help.

EDIT2: It seems to be related to road destruction rather than relations:

I tried and succeeded 3 out of 3 attempts, i just destroyed some of the bridges around the map (as little as four blocks) that collapse like crazy in a chain reaction, and that helped to remove the freeze.

Again, since roads regenerate at 00:00:00 maybe thats the road regeneration algorithm that is faulty?

Link to archive with savegames:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U62XS0IY

Edited by Istrebitel