? ART-Alien Guns

Deimos

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both of those look nice! I think the pistol,s grip should be larger relative to the rest of the gun. It might look odd, but as mikker pointed out, it looks more like a short rifle. I think the main body just needs to be narrower I guess.

I would envision the BB looking a lot like a generic ufo: a disk or cylinder. If the BB has the power to change directions 180 degrees in midair instantaneously using alien technology, why would it need spikes or fins to make it fly straight? It is not a human invention....

Who said they help it fly, it was just for style. Just trying to make it look non-human. The BB struck me more as a missle.

I don't see a cylinder flying too well, you mean an elipsoid? Wouldn't that be too close to the original? I have another design in mind I will post when I find time to make it.

The first model I made of the pistol was better but when I went to save it, some error came up and I lost it. Could I remember the dimensions I used, no. <_< I will work on it some more.

Edited by Anglachel

that looks alot more likley for a bomb, the other one looked as dangerous to anyone who tried to throw it to anyone it was thrown at :). 'sgood

maybe a bit more circular?

Edited by hippyjon

I think it's be a nice touch to change the shape of the blaster bomb from the 'silver football' shape to something more disc like as Micah said. Maybe model the thing on similar premise to the original cyberdisc. So the blasterbomb looks like an alien frisbee :D

Perhaps a frisbee with a sphere in the middle, holding the nasty payload. The main disc body houses the flight controls. If you shortened up the last model, you could just add a beveled cylinder cross section through the middle of it.

Will the blaster luncher and blaster turret use the same ammo?

i do not recall the ammo for the turret in the UFOpedia.... I belive, that if there would be any chance to the ammo itself, the player would not be aware of it, because it would make it easier if we just used the same ammo when its flying though the sky. Maybe a bit bigger, i dunno...

And Frisbee of Doom. Was going for some influence from the Predator disc, just don't remember much what it looks like and too tired to look for it. I'll be back in the morning. :zzzzz:

post-29-1056697950_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anglachel

now that is better.

The only thing is, that perhaps you could line up the 2 at the front, to go \ / instead of _ _

And perhaps some aim device?

Oh yeah, that design looks good! Moving the clips around gives it some extra variety as well, which is nice.

Mikker, do you mean the spikes up front? They are supposed to be parallel IIRC. As to aiming device, the alien versions don't have sights. The human versions will have a different grip and sights to make them stand out IIRC.

Edited by Breunor

This is kind of the place to put this, will the blaster bomb affect be an implosion instead of an explosion. If it is based on the original as being a fusion smart bomb, I always found it wrong that it exploded when the fusion ball defense talks about it imploding.

post-29-1057154983_thumb.jpg

Mikker, you said you were having problems with the spike design on the craft weapon. That is my fault :boohoo: , here is a spike Breunor made that should work.

spike.zip

Edited by Anglachel

Based on the fusion ball, maybe the blaster bomb could look like one of those original atom bomb chambers. A sphere with the multitude of detonator knobs sticking out of it, which could be deformed into an oblong shape?

I still think those spikes sould be connected closer to the end of the weapon. Consider how on the other plasma weaps, most of the spike extends past the end of the barrel. IMO too much of the spike length overlaps your barrel, if that makes sense.

That's a lot better, but of course now they taper in too much... there's just no pleasing me is there? ^_^

Acturly, it was the point that they should be so, because, they dont tapper in after you have fired the cannon a few shots! :D

That's the ticket! :happybanana:

LOL, when you run out of ammo, just do a strafing run and hit the target with those spikes! :D

LOL yes, the plasma cannon goes great with the kekikaze attack type :D

next job on it is the main body. hmmm...

I like the curviness of that. Those are the sort of shapes and lines we should be aiming at with our alien tech I think.

Funnily enough alliance was one of the research areas I looked into for the look of the alien tech.

So I agree with Drewid here :D

• 1 month later...
R u askin if u need 2 put a surface of the inside of the hand? I think that is what u r sayin, if it is then u don't need it, even looking at it straight at a close zoom the inside would be hidden by the body.

This is in reference to the x-net version, where a hand will not be (atleast I don't think there will be one there in the x-net). Do I need to cover the inside of the sleeve or will the renderer shade both sides of a poly?

It looks kind of like it fell off of the back of a truck on the highway.

And sorry for this late reply about the implosion.

I think the implosion they are referring to is that when matter and antimatter meet they are supposedly supposed to annihilate one another, converting the mass of both into energy like the mass that is lost during a fusion reaction. Also, antiprotons are supposed to have all the properties of protons only in reverse- so they would have an equally negative charge to the proton's positive charge. Put in the same general arean they would be drawn to each other and fall into one another by magnetic attraction (I think it's magnetic. I'm not too clear on the definitions of either weak or strong nuclear forces). When compared to a fusion reaction, the antimatter reaction would have much more power per mass involved because it is a complete conversion of mass to energy: provided the matter and antimatter combine at a 1 to 1 ratio and the mass isn't partially pushed aside by the ensuing expulsion of electromagnetic radiation. So I think what they mean by implosion is the masses falling into one another...

I was thinking on how those weapons would be fitted to the various aircraft considering its perceived size and shape. I thought perhaps a gunpod would be one of the options to consider, at least for the conventional looking aircraft. Here are some pictures of gunpods if that is an option. Note they look a lot like thin external fuel tanks..

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/201-300/walk251_SUU-23A_gun_pod/images_Chris_Hughes/SUU-23A_02.jpg

http://www.ammodel.com/ImageResizeCache/f8fbda085298f14d8557b707efa9ebe0.jpg

Edited by fux0r666

Hey Mikker, please tell me that isn't the heavy plasma! That looks like an organic heavy laser!

Anyway, we could just say that the bb uses fusion, (fusion ball launcher, fusion defense) because the weapons that are devloped from it are fusion based weapons.

I don't understand the whole concept of a "gun pod" what is it supposed to do? Is it like a self-contained gun you can strap onto a plane?

Hey Mikker, please tell me that isn't the heavy plasma! That looks like an organic heavy laser!

Description on the pic: If alien could steal Laser tech. :devillaugh: