XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Automobiles

fidel_

Would you be interested in doing some low poly automobiles? I'm not sure where an APC would be seen, it would be some pretty dumb aliens that do a terror site at a military base! :D The model looks nice though, and having another site for textures rocks! :rock:

That would be no problem, I just need few pics taken from cars so I can use them as textures. Anybody want to have their car modeled? :) I guess I can always do a google image search for a car and see what turns up.

I read from some thread that there might be a scenario in terror site where the local military/police forces would have tried to solve the situation themselves. Of course, when you would arrive at the terror site you would see wasted equipment and dead bodies everywhere.

That seems to be V1+ unfourtnately. Too bad, it would really increase the atmosphere.

Besides, the aliens would want to do a terror site at a military base to help eliminate Earth's military opposition!

I was looking for some auto pics as well, we can always use plenty of cars. I'm setting my own poly limit to 500 to start, and see what things look like using that. Might seem low, maybe it will be. But I made a yf-23 model using just 160 polys once, and have seen several car models online at 250 that weren't too bad.

I think the textures just need to include the body panel lines and basic things like tire hubs. I'm not going to make the windows transparent, so the insides can be ignored. If we decide to get that detailed we can easily change it later. I'm working on a Ford Syclone pickup truck right now.

http://www.suurland.com/ has tons of car profiles and layouts that we can use to make properly-scaled cars. There might also be decent pictures there we could turn into textures.

Yeah, those blueprints are handy, you get great scale with them. I started the GMC Syclone pickup, but I don't really like it yet, and my haphazard attention span latched onto a Chevy Camaro, so now I'm working on both. :D

The truck with get more detail, and I need better refence pics for the nose and tail of the camaro yet, but with BOTH of these guys in the scene the poly count was 512. I think I can spare some more... btw, the truck has a cap on the bed, that's why it's solid like that. I'm thinking I'm going to remove it though, or make the full bed and then toss the cap back on for variety. Obviously the truck's grill area needs more work. I'm still partial to leaving the glass opaque, it might look nice to see inside the cars, but it's that much more texture memory being eaten up, when it could be used someplace else...

1.jpg

GMC Syclone, 472 polys: inserted bed and inside wheel wells, added a little more detail by the head lights. I think a basic interior is needed, the glass currently is a reflective sphere map which looks weird.

1.jpg

Can we blow those up in the battlescape? :naughty:

Yes to blowing up, I think they wouldn't be quite as explosive as the gas pumps were (these aren't Ford Pintos), but depending on how much damage is done to it I think an explosion and/or fire would be nice.

Camaro is done, only 384 polys here. Sorry about the lousy screenshot, it didn't convert well from bmp to jpg. I've loaded the Syclone and Camaro into the web viewer, they're under 'Other Models', 'automobiles'. The truck needs a better texture and the car doesn't even have one, so if anybody is interested feel free to contact me about it.

1.jpg

Yes, the GMC on the truck needs to come off, I figured it would be part of making a real texture for it.

Yeah Drewid, it's not so bad when following some pics, that camaro is a combination of several versions from the 1960's, but I liked most of them from that decade, and the nose from the 70's IMO was just as good. I think I'll start playing with an SUV next, I'm going to morph the pickup into one and see how that works. Then maybe I'll make my car, a pathetic little wagon ;)

we could stick in some upside-down SUVs

Ouch! You think Firestone would be looking at those tires for any tread seperation? :devillaugh:

BTW, if others start working on cars, post here with which ones so we can make sure we are working on distinctly different cars, OK? If we all show up with different models of BMW, that will look weird in the game. This will help us get the most bang for our buck.

Here's the latest car, it's a Ford Focus ZX5 IIRC. 410 polys or so, with a "halfway there" texture, screenshots taken from Ford's website flash animation. I made the windows a little transparent, probably would either remove transparency or put a few polys inside to conceal the hollow inside. The texture's not there, I plan to go back to the flash page and get screen grabs at the different angles, and paste together the various parts so it's clear all around. Only the top and hood don't show decent angles.

EDIT: btw, the camaro, truck, and focus models are found at www.projectxenocide.com/artassets/models/ each is in ms3d format in there.

duo.jpg

Edited by Breunor

Coolio, what do you think about adding a few faces in the wheel wells, so it looks more solid? Does naybody think that's necessary? I've only been adding enough so you can't see a gap from the isometric view, typically 48 extra faces total on the model.

Here's a lada.  ^_^ Uploaded.

Heh, nothing is easier to model in low-poly than a lada, they're rectangular as it is in real-life already :D

A LADA!?

If we add drivable vehicles to Xenocide, this should NOT be drivable!

why not? They're built like trucks, excellent Sectoid flatteners ;)

edit: KGB is outdated though, nowadays it's called FAS ^_^

Edited by j'ordos

btw, the vehicles are just static props in version 1, no interaction with them beyond blowing them up. :D

Just think about it, an alien shootout in a parking lot! Or in a parking hall! :naughty: