XCOMUFO & Xenocide

I Think I Almost Got It To Work...

Mustang's mom here again :D First, I want to thank y'all for all the help you've been giving to Mustang.

'K... The DOS mouse driver is indeed on D drive. I've replaced most of the innards of that machine and the HD is one of the most recent additions (the old drive I tossed as it's seek time was totally unacceptable in these days). It's a 30gig and I partitioned it into 20 gig for system, 10 gig for games. None of the original softare is on the machine. Clean and new installs of both DOS 6.2 and Win98 from store bought media (no 'system restore' crud).

This is both good and bad. A cleaner sleeker faster machine but I lost the special exception statement for the EMM386 line in the config.sys... my bad :( This compaq model commandeers a memory segment that some programs would like to access. *Not* excluding the partucular segment in the config.sys causes the blue screen of death when trying to run them. That's the reason the machine is still running Win98 instead of Win98SE. Win98SE wants that segment while Win98 does not.

So, I normally use mouse.com (loaded in the autoexec.bat) but slapped mouse.sys (which loads in the config.sys with a smaller footprint) onto the D drive quick like when I thought it might be a mouse driver problem. Just to see, ya know. Doesn't seem to make a bit of difference though <shrug>.

Thanks again :)

Erinn

Mustang's mom here again  :D  First, I want to thank y'all for all the help you've been giving to Mustang.

'K...  The DOS mouse driver is indeed on D drive.  I've replaced most of the innards of that machine and the HD is one of the most recent additions (the old drive I tossed as it's seek time was totally unacceptable in these days).  It's a 30gig and I partitioned it into 20 gig for system, 10 gig for games.  None of the original softare is on the machine.  Clean and new installs of both DOS 6.2 and Win98 from store bought media (no 'system restore' crud).

This is both good and bad.  A cleaner sleeker faster machine but I lost the special exception statement for the EMM386 line in the config.sys... my bad :(  This compaq model commandeers a memory segment that some programs would like to access.  *Not* excluding the partucular segment in the config.sys causes the blue screen of death when trying to run them.  That's the reason the machine is still running Win98 instead of Win98SE.  Win98SE wants that segment while Win98 does not.

So, I normally use mouse.com (loaded in the autoexec.bat) but slapped mouse.sys (which loads in the config.sys with a smaller footprint) onto the D drive quick like when I thought it might be a mouse driver problem.  Just to see, ya know.  Doesn't seem to make a bit of difference though <shrug>.

Thanks again :)

Erinn

So much computer talk... brain hurt... :explode:

• 3 months later...

I don't have apoc anymore:

I was invited to my friends birthday sleepover so I was looking for a present (Forum Name: BraveHeart47) and he had a laptop. I observed and found out that apoc works on almost all laptops so I gave him apoc.

I booted it up for him and had him watch me play so he would get to know it

"OMG this game sucks!"

10 minutes later...

"DUDE! this game rocks!!! I didn't know you got to go to battle!"

I guess BTA was right, you'll hate for the first 10 minutes, then love it

He is raiding Diablo as I speak

Closing Reply:

If you want this game to work, get a cheap laptop

Edited by Mustang