XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Super-proximities!

Now we wait for other opinions :D

I think it sounds good :)

Just have to think how it would affect gameplay, and how it could be eased into the existing framework. =b

Edited by dipstick

I like Metal's thoughts here. I've always liked the proxmity grenade, although I'd love to be able to stick it to a wall or in a corner. The problem comes when something is a proxmity charge that responds to movement and its something that you wanted to set manually rather than throw it.

Maybe it could work if after you set and plant the proxmity explosive manually, it'll give you one extra turn to move out of the way - or even better, has something in its programming that only sets off if its not a terran (to sort of explain it in story terms).

A more crude way would be to set a high explosive for X turns, and hope the turns before it detonates helped.

how about instead of a proximity mine a laser trip one? something like the ones seen in the first half-life... you stick one on the wall something dumb tries to go through and bam you hear big boom behind you with limbs flying in everysingle direction?

seems that proximity mines are bit... old fashioned? possobly retro but effective... Mabe a higher version would be a laser trip mine or even an entirely new mine?

*edit*

there we go a lil screeny

http://gryzor.club.fr/half-life/gfx/niveaux/N04/04-06-Trip-Mine.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

Laser trip mines would be an excellent idea. Aliens should have their version of this equipment as well.

Spider Grenade(Prox Grenade) - rolls a square or two towards nearest psi-presence

Psi Mine(Laser Trip Mine) - can tell IFF via psionic signature, high level psionics can defeat it

Supernova Mine(High Explosive) - the ultimate in demolition technology

I like the trip mine idea. Sort of shows the evolution of this explosive type a bit. I would probably have it progress like this...1) prox mine like before 2) trip mine that uses a physical cord 3) trip mine that uses the laser.

This way you sort of still might have to mix what you bring, depending on effectiveness of aliens to go around the last two types especially (i.e. they might have the vision to spot the laser trip mines, where some might not so you might want the one with the physical cord, & the standard proximity is always useful but just as indiscriminate to movement as before).

Then the issue next is probably one of damage for each.

I still think though nothing should probably rival the high explosive in terms of the most powerful thrown Earth explosive, but I wouldn't mind different forms of explosive sfx to distinguish them more (shrapnel, high ex., fire, smoke, a mix etc.).

And what about, not only laser but neutron traps? They might be the result of investigating super proximities + fusion weaponary. And have a power or 150 ONLY against living creatures (so not against sectopods and cyberdisk) and greater range.

Or course, armor would have no protection against neutrons so it would be a very dangerous weapon for both, aliens and humans.