Photo

Map Or Nap

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Quite a few UFO2000 players are making maps for everybody and enjoy doing so. But is it worth the effort, apart from personal enjoyment? How do YOU feel about custom maps? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Quite a few UFO2000 players are making maps for everybody and enjoy doing so. But is it worth the effort, apart from personal enjoyment? How do YOU feel about custom maps?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Violazr

Violazr

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:32 AM

Just curious whether my and other maps actually get to see some action on the servers, or why they would not.

Opponents don't have them? No TFTD? Don't like unknown terrain?
Tell me about it.

#2 Kratos

Kratos

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:15 PM

Most people don't know about the maps. That is the main reason.

#3 Violazr

Violazr

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:15 PM

That's what I think as well, so a poll in this foum is probably not very representative.
Still, at least it says something about the people who are here.

Maybe the map depot could be advertised upon entering the server chat?
Or the forum, at least...

#4 Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:40 PM

That would be good. The other day I was to have a few matches with Static, when I found out he didn't have any custom maps. We then spent the rest of the evening trying to get more maps for him. It didn't work.

#5 Hobbes

Hobbes

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:08 PM

I voted for the the last one because it more honestly reflects my actions, rather than my words. And I suspect that some people who don't browse the forums would vote for it too, for a lot of reasons.

To put them simply, City is a well designed map, is already included in the distributive and I won't have to lift a finger to get it, plus it's one of the original terrains.

The problem with the other terrains is that they don't have all of this qualities. Custom made maps also tend to suffer from the attitude of their designers: "I've had all the fun to create this terrain, so I will design it as I would like to play it". Which is perfectly OK, as long as the designer also accepts that probably a lot of people who bother to download it like to play in a different way.

So, that's why I voted for City: everyone has it, no waiting for them to download it and restart (after convincing them first), and it is still fun. The other 10% on which I decide to play some other terrain (sometimes even my own designed ones), don't really count.

#6 Sporb

Sporb

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:40 PM

there needs to be some links added to the server lobby , that way everyone can get the latest map pack

#7 Serge

Serge

Project Leader: UFO 2000

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 785 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:30 PM

Don't have much time to write a long reply now, but we need an extensions management system built into te game. On map depot there will be a small xml file (autogenerated, maybe by php script) which will contain a list of all maps, their versions, checksums, small descriptions, links to thumbnail and to the package itselt. It should be possible to query the list of all extensions directly from the game (url of this xml file will be specified in the ufo2000.ini file and set to official map depot page by default). The game will display a list of available extensions, suggest to download and install them, also if new versions of extensions appear in depot, the game should be able to upgrade them. Will add this idea to mantis as I get more time.
ufo2000 development team
http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net

#8 Violazr

Violazr

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:03 PM

That would be really useful.

Because, even though what Hobbes says is true to some extent, all those people I actually got to download and play custom maps were positively surprised, and also liked maps that played differently (well, except for one who really plays nothing but city, because he "doesn't know the other maps").

The problem is really that most people don't even know that there is such a thing as custom maps, or think it's complicated to get and install them.

#9 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:51 PM

I like custom maps, can't get enough of them, and i am probably the only UFO2000 player who doesn't have city, modified city, and warehouse. There are about a total of 4 maps that i don't have, because they were lost in one of my updates a while back
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#10 Violazr

Violazr

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 06:19 AM

Who are the people with "problems getting/installing/playing"?

Tell me what's the problem, it should be easy to solve.

The downloads and instructions on how to install are in the Map Depot, with specific instructions in the included README-Files.

To play, just get your opponent to download and install them as well! :)

(sorry, quoted again... my bad)

#11 Kratos

Kratos

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:00 AM

I have to say that if I had a choice of only 2 maps, I would go for Farm and City. Reason is, I have played them the most, I am the most use to them graphic wise and functionality wise, I like the way farm can be deceiving through battling, and I like city for its classic gameplay.

The following maps i hate with a simple reason:
TFTD maps - graphics, functionality, and gameplay (industrial, easter island, etc.)
base maps - Gameplay (alien base ++, xcom base ++, etc.)
ufo maps - Gameplay (mothership, ufo Yard, etc.)
indestructible terrain maps - Gameplay (alien crypt, paintball field, beaches of normandy, etc.)
forever playing maps - Gameplay (warehouse, xcom sandcastle, etc.)
Cydonia - bugs, but once they are fixed I don't mind playing it

The following maps I like for the same reason, gameplay, graphics, and functionality:
Abandoned Base
City, Modified City, Mad City, Apartment, Polis, Slums
Farm, Modified Farm
Native
Area 51 - Fences I hate somewhat
Desert, Jungle, Mountain, Forest, Arctic

Mine don't count because self maps are always biased upon opinion. And I realize a few are TFTD maps that I like.

Those maps that weren't listed is either I hate them or I haven't played them, but most likely I hate them. I realize many of you put some kind of hard work into certain maps, but I am just stating what I like and what I hate about them so you understand what an ideal map would be played. IMO, the perfect graphics for a map is original xcom 1 graphics.

#12 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:18 AM

yes, the fences on Area51 are evil, huh ;)

you don't have airfield listed, that map rocks. It is one of the coolest there is
I also like the ships, the one problem is that the client can bomb the enemy from above
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#13 Kratos

Kratos

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:22 AM

I am not particularly fond of TFTD maps.

#14 Violazr

Violazr

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:15 PM

Beaches of Normandy has no indestructible terrain, except for the ground itself.

If the ground was destructible, terrain being destroyed would cause people to fall into big square holes that suddely appear, shots digging all the way through the hills, and the slope pieces hanging in the air to become visible.
- The major flaw of all forest/desert/mountain terrains.

Believe me, I tried.

#15 Kratos

Kratos

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 06:24 PM

Maybe not make the hills destroyable, but make them show that damage has come unto them because ideally, the terrain will get damaged even if not destroyed.

Edited by Kratos, 15 August 2005 - 06:25 PM.

#16 Violazr

Violazr

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:15 PM

I thought about that, but it would require another tileset to be custom made, which also has to fit into the 253 tile margin.
And all it would do is create some scorchmarks on the slopes, which I didn't really miss so far.

Another possibility is to make every slope piece become the one which is one step lower, until destroyed. - But still, the others with holes below would become visible, and the terrain could become impassable for soldiers.
To fill the holes, I would have to make seaprate graphics for every height. And then a scorched version of each? Not really worth the effort.