XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Enemy Unknown (ce) Et Version 28/03/2005

max

oh, hate to register only to post file...

see AmericaLand base statistics - negative & imposible numbers

attached winrar sfx archive, that not a virus/trojan

I would be pleased to see changed base/ship icons as are in the max's XCOM2 patch - they look great ;) + other fixes

game_1.exe

Edited by SF_lt

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

thank you for your comments and feedback.

I expect this weekend to sort some serious problems that have been identified, including the game not working at all on another machine tested.

Wolphin, thanks for your post and information!

IRS, the game did not work on a different machine, there are VST indeed.

Sf_It, thanks for the save game. Was the save game edited at any point? do you have a save before the negative numbers? any transfers of sci/engineers? Thanks!

We may make include an option for alternative geoscape icons. Likely only for 1024x768 resolution. 9x9 pixels in this case, 32bit format, when this is complete, please submit your art and we'll include them.

Guest Guest_SF_lt_*

max: as I remember, there was no any transfer - AmericaLand base is only to defend poor americans from the UFOs :-D, there never were any scientist/engineers.

when this happened can't say - don't looked for this base statistics (not patched version is ok) :)

game save isn't modified - I don't use any these helper utils

Monthly score BUG!

I have this game where I successfully intercepted all UFO during the first month.

But the monthly score is -268 432 881 (?!).

However, at the same time ALL the funding nations are satisfied and increase funding.

This was done under ET version 2005-01-02.

I tried changing to version 2005-03-02 just before the month was over with no change.

Saved game here:

GAME_3.zip

Just advance time by day and dismiss all events and the monthly report show up,

with very impossibly bad score.

When I increased the cash I had by selling UFO navigation it actually ended the game outright with the YOU FAILED monthly report!

With less money the dissatisfied (with all nation's funding increase) report shows up.

So you get bad score for doing well? Money checking error? I'm not sure what's up.

[EDIT]

Also the graph is messed up in the UFO activity tabs in Graphs.

For those contries whithout actual alien activity the scaling for the graph is 41 943 040 units.

And the line is missing for certain sections.

So perhaps the initial values are not initialised at 0? Or something.

Maybe the values are not initially updated without alien activity?

Might be related to the score being way too large and oscillating above and below 0.

[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]

Upon further thoughts the graph messup seems to be in the graduation when it is non-zero.

So one UFO activity is probably counted as more, or there are defective integer handling somewhere.

[/EDIT2]

Edited by wolphin

XCOM Enemy Unknown CE (ET version, 2 March 2005)

Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* bugfixes (geoscape/battlescape)

+ video mode configuration / filters

* 1750 engineers

* 1750 scientists (~250 limit per project)

* alien grenade w/proxy (activate prime 23)

* auto sell manufacture enabled by decrease zero quantity (1111)

* allocate all scientist by decrease zero quantity

* allocate all technician by decrease zero quantity

* manufacture 'ingredients' removed at time of production

* idle engineers contribute to assembling base facilities (25/day)

* geoscape time

details are included in the zip.

notes:

- 'click' bug from 20050219 removed?

-This problem still apears to be active with the latest patch!

reaction bug not attended to.

added 3x edge filter (for 1024*768 resolution) etc.

requires registry configuration.

'ufoeuet_2005_01_02.zip' previous release

Have fun!

Well thanks.Truly. I am XCOM junky; this game is my like my first luv. Best damn gave I ever played. Really gratefull that such a forum and web exist, again thanks a million.

Hi,

big thanks for the feedback and savegames!

Click problem fix update has been posted. The score problems may be related.

wolphin, thank you for your trouble :)

Guest_SF_lt_, I can't imagine the problem, but your savegame can be remedied easily if that will help.

For any interested in the technical of the click probelm - emms was not being used (resets fpu state after mmx is used), which I think is why the score problem may be related.

Please post any problems and suggestions.

Edited by max

Thanks max!

The new version works great!

The click bug is fixed and when I start a new game the graphs are all normal!

It didn't make the graphs in the old game work, but the new game works great.

And the old game wasn't that good.

Now I can easily fastforward to check in the graphs where the aliens are going to attack,

restore and catch them in the act. Muhahahahaha!

With, let's say, the X-com time machine! :innocent:

Okay so I'm compulsive and need to stop all alien ships that I can.

Now if only there was a "Restore" button in the interface during battle...

A bit weird, you can save during battle but to load you have to abandon the battle first...

Great work!

Been a while since I dropped by here. It's great to see you're still updating this. :)

BTW, the avg filter doesn't seem to work for me at 640x4*0. The screen becomes garbled; it looks like several copies of the screen have stretched and superimposed on each other. Luckily I can see it well enough to distinguish the different levels of buttons, allowing me to quit, but it's certainly nowhere near playable. (It's okay on 1024 x 768, but my machine runs that way too slow for it to be playable. :()

Oh well, I'll just stick with the normal pixel graphics. :)

Hi,

thanks for pointing that out, an update has been posted. for 1024 768 setting, try using only one filter if that helps performance.

Also alternative starting base layouts can be select using a registry setting, submit your own and we'll add it to the patch. We'll add an option to load the base setting from file later.

Please post any problems and suggestions. Thanks!

Cool, the filter works on 640x4-0 now. :) (Unfortunately, the game still slows down when using only the average filter on 640x400. It's playable, but it reminds me of the *shudder* pre-Et days when I used Turbo. Guess the filters will have to wait until I get a better machine. :))

As for alternative base layouts, here's the one I use:

HHAR
HH QGL
HH  W
HH
HH
HH

H=Hangar, A=Access lift, R=Small Radar, Q=Living Quarters, L=Lab, W=Workshop

This layout is meant to have a Missile Defense go in just below the Access Lift and replace the Small Radar as the link between the hangars & lift and everything else. (I've started using this since seeing someone's thread around here about this layout.) If you wanted to have the Lift be the link, which can make life simpler although you lose the Missile Defense's unique battlescape layout, you'd need to switch something like the General Stores with the Small Radar so that you never have to disband the original link module.

Edited by Kloreep

My proposition for new stating base layout

in base.dat formatting:

base facilities layout:

ff ff ff ff ff ff

ff 03 07 02 04 ff

ff ff 01 ff ff ff

ff ff 00 ff ff ff

10 11 10 11 10 11

12 13 12 13 12 13

corresponding days to completion:

ff ff ff ff ff ff

ff 00 00 00 00 ff

ff ff 00 ff ff ff

ff ff 00 ff ff ff

00 00 00 00 00 00

00 00 00 00 00 00

To make sense of base.dat format:

http://hatfarm.xcomufo.com/base.html

Graphical view of layout:

post-5191-1112074286_thumb.jpg

Reasoning:

At the beginning I need a lot of space to construct new facilities,

yet it is said that isolating hangars and lift from the rest of the base is more secure.

With this layout you can immediately start building 9 facilities

and still have the lift isolating the points of entry.

Alternatively you could put your preferred room to fight in next to the lift.

It should be noted however that I have not yet tested this layout in battle.

Furthur, this layout would not help you if you wanted to build more hangars.

But then you'd have to sacrifice the separation...

Edited by wolphin

blehm, there was a bug that caused manufactured crafts not to be allocated, it has been fixed in 7th June version, thanks for posting a description.

Hi,

I'm using the patch of Mar 28 (and 24 before that) and I just noticed I suffer the same problem, my first Firestorm just vanishes. I'm also using xcomutil.

Cheers!

EDIT: Oh ooops, I was wrong, I just didn't have enough money for it :Brickwall:

Edited by Halvan

Original starting base:

post-5191-1112406765_thumb.jpg

as per normal game.

Modified starting base:

post-5191-1112406820_thumb.jpg

to support separation of hangar+lift from base.

I put the hangars at the top because according to hearsay

the aliens are bunched up at the top left of hangars.

If true this layout should give you extra time to prepare.

Of course, this should be tested.

As Kloreep suggested I put the small radar near the edge.

This way you can add another hangar without compromising security

or at least it's not in an important position so it's easy to remove.

And if you don't want the living quarters as battleground

you can build 2 new facilities at the right of it and remove the living quarters.

Here's the base.dat with the image in a zip file.

base.dat.zip

Just put the base.dat in a (new) saved game.

Or wait for the next ET version!

max: In what format will the first base file be?

Edited by wolphin

Now using the latest version (3/28/05), and the geoscape click bug is gone. Also, the graphs screen now shows reasonable values for alien activity, and the End of Month report has a proper score instead of the multimillion values in the older version.

The only issue I still have is that Proximity Grenades are acting like Smoke Grenades, in that there's no proximity detonation and they just puff up a lot of smoke (no damage). It's not that hard to handle.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest arzie
hey all, i just got in to this x-com game after many years. I see there are some new updates. Which version should i download to play this game with windows xp. I have tried some versions, but they crass when i research something about aliens (last time i was recearching sectoid medic). It keeps on crashing in the same place..do i have wrong version or something?

Yay! <3 you guys.

At first, I downloeded and installed the CE, but it kept crashing me out to the desktop on first mission or something. So, I browsed for solutions on this forum, applied the latest patch (version 28/03/2005).

So far, I am loving it. However...

That mouse "running out" is very annoying. It runs out off screen on right or bottom side, as if there is more room there. That is the first thing I have noticed. I hope that it will be fixed.

I am going to play now and see if anything else is out of order happens. Good job, buncha thanks and all that stuff. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, that half worked, but the monitor will only center so far. :/ So there's still about a inch of the bottom of the screen missing. Even with the emptiness on the right side gone; the cursor still dissappears off the right side of the screen, it seems to think there's still more there.

Good work on the patch Max!

I hope you have time to further improve it because I really like it but it has a few issues which prevent me from fully enjoying it.

It works almost flawlessly on my workstation which is XP with a 2.19GHz AMD64, 512MB RAM, NVIDA GeForce FX 5200 128DDR Video.

But on my laptop (which is my main computer), it’s a different story. I have played with many settings and I just can't get it to perform well. My laptop is XP with a 1.69Ghz Pentium M, 512Mb RAM, Mobility Radeon 16MB.

The problem I am having is, unless I use the 640x400 setting... I have a big boarder on the bottom right side of the LCD screen, about x= 25% y=10% in size... it’s very annoying, can't play with it... (edge_filter being enabled has no effect in 640x400) so when I use avg_filter... yes it improves the display, but it also makes it very blurry compared to using the game in a higher resolution. And in any resolution I am in using filtering, when I open a dialog windows (which animates the opening)... it is reaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyy slooooooooowwwwwwww.

Mok made a really good patch which is amazing in 640x400 (called ufo1_2xSai.rar), works really well on my laptop except for the timer. His version of the timer freezes the game each time it ticks, as a apposed to yours which is perfect in how it works.

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...indpost&p=82723

It requires your gfx card to support 640x400x32 bit in DirectDraw, but it adds a full screen 2xSai filter to UFO 1 :D

Attached File(s)

UFO1_2xSai.rar ( 216.37k )

It would be great if the best of both patches, your clock timer fix and his video filter upgrade could be merged. Is it possible you could make a 2xSai version of your patch like Mok's did for his? Or take Mok's 2xSai patch and insert your clock timer fix into it please?

Mouse Bug Fix

Something for everyone else, I wrote a patch which fixes that annoying mouse problem (where the mouse can go far off screen in the lower right). It is available to download here, source code included.

mousefix.zip

For those of you who like the feel of the PlayStation Geoscape shown below and want it in their PC Version of X-COM Enemy Unknown, you can extract this file attachment to the 'Geograph' folder.

http://img97.echo.cx/img97/6713/buttons1yp.gif

GEOBORD.zip (10.77Kb)

Edited by SpyMaster

I have finished making a mod for X-Com CE which plays the MP3 music (from the PS1 version) instead of the crappy mid files. So far, it works like a dream... The music is CD quality and is longer in duration. There is more variety, the Battlescape has an extra music track, and the Geoscape has 2.

System requirements: Windows XP (using NTFS) and Windows Media Player

I'm going to do further testing before publishing any version.

Guest Azrael
Isn't this ET? btw... what's X-Com ET? I tried playing it but I couldn't, is like a windows version or something?

well, I have to say that I am confused a bit with this new versions of patches. I just tried the first one and it seems that I lose half of lower part of my screen. I also didn't have time to read all posts in this thread, so I will be thnakful if anyone tells me what is the best patch.

i am using ufoeuet_2005_03_28 but i cant put it to work with 1024*768 resolution, game still works but never on that resolution, what do i need to do to put it on 1024*768 ?

thanks in advance

Well it seems nobody anwer any question here. But anyway, you have to use regedit as far as I understood. It is very easy. The only yhing is to find the right path for it which you can find it in one of those txt file which is included in the zip file. After that you just have to change some number hres or vres and that is all.

Hello!

I've startet Ufo with using this file and it works really fine. The only sad thing is, that i have no music. Neither in Geoscape nor in Battlescape. The intro is without sound too.

Firing and walkingsounds work perfect.

Has anyone an idea what i can do to get music ingame?

I am using Windows XP, the game is patched to 1.4

Thanks for you help :)

Edited by Nightkin

Hi all. Been lurking for awhile now :)

Max : Is there a way we can customize the default base layout? Cuz the alternate one you offered is not strategically wise. Normally the hangars would be on top and the 1x1 modules below the access lift. (kind just flip what u have now).

Spymaster : wonderful work considering it's done in VB :)

Any ideas on how to make it work with XcomUTIL (which split "UFO Defenese.exe" into geoscape.exe and tactical.exe) ?

Maybe have a launcher1 which calls geoscape and launcher2 which calls tactical?

And btw, how does your program know when to play music geoscape3 and geoscape4 ? since they are not by default part of the original midi collection (only had geo1.mid and geo2.mid)

~pcx

wonderful work considering it's done in VB :)

Thanks

XcomUTIL (which split "UFO Defenese.exe" into geoscape.exe and tactical.exe) ?

I haven't used XcomUTIL but it should work using a quick change. In the source code, locate 'Private Sub Timer3_Timer'. In the first If statement, insert ' Or True ' just before ' Then ' and simply recompile the application.

Just be advised the music will continue to play when you exit the game, so you will need to add something to the program or create a shortcut to 'tskill.exe Launcher' to run after playing to kill the background app.

how does your program know when to play music geoscape3 and geoscape4 ? since they are not by default part of the original midi collection (only had geo1.mid and geo2.mid)

Simple, if geo1.mid attempts to play, it will play GMGEO1.mp3, if it happens a second time, it will play GMGEO3.mp3 instead and keeps toggling.

Same if geo2.mid plays, it will toggle between GMGEO2.mp3 and GMGEO4.mp3.

I've had to add code in, so that when GMGEO1.mp3 plays to the end, the next track will be GMGEO2.mp3 or GMGEO4.mp3 (depending which last played), at the end of that track it will be GMGEO3.mp3 (because GMGEO1.mp3 played last) etc - the music will always keep playing and toggling, and you won't hear the same track again until all others have played.

As there's only one GMTACTIC.MID, it just simply toggles between GMTACTIC.mp3 and GMTACTIC2.mp3.

I had to put smart code in to make XCOM play the correct music for end of battle, because in the PC Version of X-Com, it was playing the end game music instead.

I did this based on, if the last music which was playing, was a GMTACTIC.mid, it will play GMMARS.mp3 when GMSTORY.mid attemps to play. If you're on the GMGEOx.MID and go for the last mission, when GMMARS.MID attemps to play, it will play GMSTORY.mp3. You might ask, why didn't I just simply rename the files? Well you can't because the game plays GMSTORY.mid when starting up, so it would be incorrect. LOL

Well anyways, in the end, it all works pretty nicely. I might make an update in the future if anyone wants it, because I'm clicking happy... I click though the screens at lighting speed, and sometimes the GMDEFEND.mid is playing when I enter the tactical and things like that. I think I can fix most of them logically because if GMTACTIC.MID and GMDEFEND.MID both have the same timestamp, GMTACTIC.MID must be the one that should be playing because its the next one in order (i.e. you will never go from GMTACTIC.MID back to GMDEFEND.MID)

Spymaster :

Cool.

But I dun have visual basic on my computer :)

Anyway, one extra thing i did was to use a mp3 normalizing software to normalize the music volume up.

As the menu popup sounds in-game are alot louder than the music.

Still I would prefer to decrease the sound of the pop-up. Since normalizing too much will cause clips in the sound.

I think I'll go muck around the sample*.cat files.

So I would say I'm playing

Xcom CE + XcomUtil(Scott) + Mok(sound*.cat only) + Max(exe 28/03) + MusicPatch(SpyMaster)

Haha. The ultimate version. If only Max's exe fix minor problems :

- after downing a UFO , when coming out of interceptor mode, some graphical overdraw or something

- due to the nature of the fix, 5min,30mins or 1hr per REALTIME second will stutter now and then.

Sorry for the whining , I really appreciate all the work done.

Guest Guest

Hmmm.

The graphics options - infact anything in the registry doesn't seem to work for me.

The graphics always seem to be set to 640x480. Setting the alternate base to 1 doesn't work either. As far as I can tell, anything I change in the registry doesn't effect the game.

Also, the bottom third of the screen not being there is annoying. It's nothing to do with a monitor issue, I don't think. The game still "sees" it, as it allows the mouse to be moved into that area, which is bloody annoying as it gets lost down there. The same with the right hand side of the screen.

Anyone know why the registry isn't working then? As I'm on win 98, I had to make the entries myself. But they didn't work, so when I saw that some guy had already made some win98 files, I thought HIS would work......but they didn't.

Any help? ta

Hmmm.

The graphics options - infact anything in the registry doesn't seem to work for me.

The graphics always seem to be set to 640x480. Setting the alternate base to 1 doesn't work either. As far as I can tell, anything I change in the registry doesn't effect the game.

Also, the bottom third of the screen not being there is annoying. It's nothing to do with a monitor issue, I don't think. The game still "sees" it, as it allows the mouse to be moved into that area, which is bloody annoying as it gets lost down there. The same with the right hand side of the screen.

Anyone know why the registry isn't working then? As I'm on win 98, I had to make the entries myself. But they didn't work, so when I saw that some guy had already made some win98 files, I thought HIS would work......but they didn't.

Any help? ta

what i did was to set run the given .reg file. so the local_machine\software\microprose\x-com enemy unknown\E.T tree is there.

Then set the vres to 400 (decimal), hres stick to 640.

And if it display with the black border below i switch the edge_filter key to 1 or 0 (toggle to the other)

Seems every time i run it, i have to switch it.

If it was 0, I play it. Next time I play it 99.99% it'll be the black border, i exit, go to regedit (it remember where i was previous in) so i just set edge_filter to the other value. (1 in this example). so on and so forth...

Works like a charm.

P.S : i notice with that key, somehow when i run the original exe with say f0dder fix, it'll still have the black border... wierd huh ? I had to delete the whole \E.T tree to get it to work as per normal.

Guest Guest
what i did was to set run the given .reg file. so the local_machine\software\microprose\x-com enemy unknown\E.T tree is there.

Then set the vres to 400 (decimal), hres stick to 640.

And if it display with the black border below i switch the edge_filter key to 1 or 0 (toggle to the other)

Seems every time i run it, i have to switch it.

If it was 0, I play it. Next time I play it 99.99% it'll be the black border, i exit, go to regedit (it remember where i was previous in) so i just set edge_filter to the other value. (1 in this example). so on and so forth...

Works like a charm.

P.S : i notice with that key, somehow when i run the original exe with say f0dder fix, it'll still have the black border... wierd huh ? I had to delete the whole \E.T tree to get it to work as per normal.

Thankyou very much for the reply. I'll try it now.

Also, the key is called "X-COM Enemy Unkown" instead of Unknown.... does anyone know why? [it's like this in the original reg file as well]

Guest Guest
hmm. No luck. I even tried changing the keyname to Unknown. Ah well. Changing anything seems to take no effect in the game! how odd

Hehe, awesome, been playing this for a few days now... Finally able to play one of my favourite games.

Has anyone ever considered redoing X-COM UFO Defense for the updated X-COM Terror From The Deep Engine? (Just switch over graphics and sounds, research ,etc)

I really miss my duck turn saving, and open door rightclicking :P

Guest Guest_Happhazzard_*

Hey max,

Me and a buddy of mine got into X-Com way back in the day when it first came out for PSX, we played the heck out of that game. A few years later I found a computer copy in a cheap old games bin and had a great time with it again. I got back into it a couple years ago and it took me forever to get it working right, then I had to change comps again and I've been tryin' to get it to work for weeks. All the other fixes I had used previously (Mok and xcomfix.exe) weren't working for some reason. I was about to give up on the game when I happened to see your forum and not 5 minutes after reading through this thread I finally have it up and running again. I just wanted to thank you for putting so much effort into this game... anyways, Thank You! Time to get back to playing...

Hey max,

Me and a buddy of mine got into X-Com way back in the day when it first came out for PSX, we played the heck out of that game. A few years later I found a computer copy in a cheap old games bin and had a great time with it again.  I got back into it a couple years ago and it took me forever to get it working right, then I had to change comps again and I've been tryin' to get it to work for weeks.  All the other fixes I had used previously (Mok and xcomfix.exe) weren't working for some reason.  I was about to give up on the game when I happened to see your forum and not 5 minutes after reading through this thread I finally have it up and running again.  I just wanted to thank you for putting so much effort into this game... anyways, Thank You! Time to get back to playing...

Tried f0dder's loader that comes with XComUtil?

~~

Edit: Tanks behave really bizarrely with this. Each section has it's own damage areas, and damage only counts to that area. Instead of making a tank fall apart (and take damage to all areas), this means they are nearly 4x tougher. :sly:

Edited by Exo2000

Bug Report: Say, one save game has multiple bases and you select one of your secondary bases on the 'Bases' screen. If you were to load a game from the Geoscape that does not have a base in that slot- it will remain selected anyway and display a base that has nothing but access lifts in it. You can select a base you DO have in that game, however, and it won't let you select the empty slot again.

As an alternate scenario; if you were to do the same thing, but abandon your current game before loading the game that has no base in that slot- the bug won't occur.

Guest Guest
The patch works well but I can't run 1024x768, my mouse cursor doesn't show, and the scrolling speed in battles and geoscape is still EXTREMELY fast. Is there a way to fix this? =/