XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Issue #84- Basescape Gui

Deimos

I must have totally blocked that from my mind, now it makes total sense! I was thinking something like those shots would work well for bays in the workshop or lab, sort of like an ER with little divider walls.

Technically, there are no hallways in the original, jbut the internal walls were arranged to look like hallways from one area to another. Some facilities could implement that, while others wouldn't.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys, the base items are more based off the tactical challenge invloved. As I recall in the original if the aliens managed to get to a facility and cause damage it's be destroyed once the misson is over. The only problem was that the only time you'd lose a base item is if the player was really really crap at defending.

With that in mind and the fact that this time around we're making the game tougher, the player is really going to have to defend his base if he doesn't want to lose base facilities. After all the aliens are going to do as much damage as they can to the base in the attempt to shut the player down. Just going in to kill soldiers is a bit of a waste of alien resources.

The reason the aliens send a battleship is to stop xcom from operating. Killing soldiers should be only a part of a base raid for the aliens, the main objective should be to cause as much damage to the facility as they can.

I know you're all gonna come back with something like "well shouldn't the base be designed to repel an attack" and in reality I'd agree with you. But the point is gameplay is king :)

bases are designed to repel attacks.

they have defensive AA implacements to damage or destroy incoming threats as well as interceptor bays for assault beyond the range of the fixed implacements, they are underground to prevent detection and a aireal bombardment, powerful radar systems to detect incoming threats and prepare for assault, and are based around a module system that can contain damage to individual section which can be sealed if necessary.

to top it off they are designed to mostly allow defenders to have advantageous positions and minimize cover for intruders.

• 2 weeks later...
Technically, there are no hallways in the original, jbut the internal walls were arranged to look like hallways from one area to another.

Hmmm...those long thin walkway areas sure look like hallways to me. :huh?:

:D Sorry. Anyway, I think the problem is already solved, right? X-com 1 baseview showed the structure itself...which was on the second floor. If an actual alien ship invaded your base, you fought mainly on the first floor, where all the...er...hallway shaped internal walls were. If you went one floor up, you saw what you saw in the baseview, which is what Deimos's picture shows, which is the actual working areas. Radar, bunkbeds, lab tables, etc. No hallways.

On an unrelated note, I like the raid idea. If memory serves, you can get your facilities wrecked to the point that you have to repair/chuck them in the original, but I may be remembering wrong. At any rate, that's definitely a good idea for this one. That'd give the aliens incentive to wreak a little havok, and it'd finally give you a good use for high explosives which, IMO, should have their power upped, and simply be unable to be thrown. Something to seriously set and run, rather than chucking off buildings.

[edited for incomprehensibility]

Edited by Fred the Goat

• 1 month later...
Guest drewid

This is the barracks in Maya with approximately correct lighting.

Lighting in game will vary, and we may use some sort of second pass for doing shadows, if not they can be added as a second layer lightmap into to the texture or static objects.

Currently there are four 128 square textures, two 64s and a 32.

There will be some texture reuse between baseview rooms.

post-42-1060865906_thumb.jpg

Full model loading is not scheduled for milestone 1. One or two should be enough. However, we need pretty much complete layout of navigation buttons. I would make it the first priority for the baseview.

Barracks look great, BTW. You can almost imagine the living there. :)

looking good. How will these textures hold up for battlescape or is that second pic about hte limits of battlescape zoom? Edited by Vaaish

• 1 month later...

It's a diagram of alien triple helix dna. We could wait till we can get something from the game to stick in there instead of the repeated texture, either that or get a screen grab from "Eastenders" .

:o

Edited by drewid

... if my proxy would let me get there. :)

It doesn't necessarily have to be a cray, could very well be someplace to wash ff chemicals, or a a diferent styled outer case for the computer.

Edited by Vaaish

• 2 months later...

To dredge up old topics. :)

Anyway getting down to business:

Since I;ve not heard from Drewid in a bit I'm going to hazard a guess he is bogged down at work and in the mean time I'm going to make a proposal for the base view.

It seems to me that the overhead orthographic view of the base works best in navigation and understanding what is where as well as placing base segments. To that end I say we keep the original style base view with a large top down only pane on hte left and smaller topdown segments on the right to pick which base. (will have to draw that up later.)

We can still use the 3d models for this style but I think it will make it more intuitve for users to place new modules and locate existing ones w/o funbling with controls to get the view in the right place.

Now when you click on a module to destory it or click on the list for a new modules to be built I think we should have the 3d rotatable view of the module as weel as a brief description ala xnet. However this is simple eye candy and does not interfere with the usability of the interface.

For those diehards you will get plenty of time to view the base interior from almost any angle if your base comes under attack.

let me know what you folks think.

:D Heh: Bogged down is right, 14 hour days and weekends.

The PS2 and NGC versions of the game have gone off for submission now so time should be a bit easier. I can get on with the rest of those base modules.

I agree with Vaaish's baseview proposal, Simpler is usually better.

I concur. Since v1 sticks to the 6x6 grid system, top-down view would be simplest. When bases are more freeform, the first view might be more interesting.

All those models look amazing! It would be awesome if their were tactical raids, it would add more immersion if there was lasting damage on your attacks. You could do a in and out attack, and come back later to a base undergoing repairs, with alien mechanics out fixing stuff and weaponless and you get to capture or gun them all down :devillaugh: Edited by coolp

That would be neat, but that's definitely after version 1. This forum should focus on the details for version 1. I'm pretty sure there's a thread in the labs discussing your idea.

• 1 month later...
Like I said in the other thread. Music and sound is incredibly important. It's more than half the atmosphere. You just need to hear some badly done soundtrack to appreciate that.

Looks good Drewid.

1. yes the tubes will be big enough to fit mitons in, might be a tight queeze but they aren't here for pleasure.

2.no gun turrets, no place to put them and any security measures you need (nerve gas) should be inside the two interrigation cells on the lower level. Remeber these guys are frozen solid, not likly they will go anywhere. Also then you run into the problem of why the built in anti personnel gun turrets don't shoot at aliens when your base is attacked.

3. these designs were finalized quite some time ago, it has just taked a bit of time to get them all textured. If we constantly tweak them we aren't going to have anything done. IMO, they are done and I dont want to bring up old debates that were settled months ago.

They can complain to the management if they don't like it.

A bit cranky are ya'? :D

I agree with Vaaish. Things that have been decided, shouldn't been reopened and discussed again. It's the final version so comments about improvements should be in the lab.

If that reaper has to be sawed to pieces to fit in the tube, so shall it be. I like the textures. Top quality work from drewid as normal ^_^