XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Difficulty Level Is Always Beginner Whatever I Choose?

Nightkin

Hello!

I read this on the Xcomutil page:

"The original purpose of XcomUtil was to make the game more difficult, because there was a bug in the original game that forced all games to the Beginner difficulty level, regardless of what level you chose"

Is this true? In every version of UFO? Even if the game is patched?????

Thanks for your answers!

All MS-Dos versions of X-Com UFO revert to beginner. X-ComUtil can fix this bug.

The Collectors Edition however has this bug fixed, and this bug is not present in the Playstation version. I cannot vouch for the Amiga version.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Thanks for your anwsers. Is this bug also in TFTD or "just" in Ufo Defend?

Right now i am using a programm for playing with the playstation music. It has its own .exe. If I play with XCOMutil, I have the nasty old midi samples again. Does anyone know, if there is a possibility to combine the features of both?

Nightkin, there is a way to make XCoumUtil only fix this bug and do nothing else.

Download XComutil and unpack it in the game directory. Make the backup of "maps" directory with all files.

In the command line type:

xcomutil ufoexe wrt XcuSetup

This fixes the Difficulty bug and Base Disjoint bug, and also adds some new maps (not sure what maps exactly). If you don't want any changes to maps - just delete everything in "maps" directory, and copy there all original files in "maps", that you've made a backup of.

In this case all you get is that you've got rid of the Difficulty bug. You can delete all files XComUtil consist of.

For more details see this thread.

Edited by Bullet-Tooth Tony

Thank for for your answer!

I tried this but there is kind of an error message ''Invalid flag for Geoscape.exe: xcusetup''

I exactly typed"xcomutil ufoexe wrt XcuSetup" in the dosbox command line

There was no message that explained that any data where patched. Is this ok so? There was nothing changed in the maps folder.

I updated Ufo with patch 1.2 and 1.4 before.

Thank you for your help :)

Edited by Nightkin

I've just tested it - flags in XComUtil command line appeared to be case-sensitive.

First I typed "xcomutil ufoexe wrt xcusetup" - that gave exactly the same error message.

But "xcomutil ufoexe wrt XcuSetup" did work as expected.

If everything's allright, the screen says:

"Patch Applied: Difficulty levels enabled

Patch Applied: Disjoint bases fixed and new maps added"

Try again, but just don't forget the capital letters in the line.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
All MS-Dos versions of X-Com UFO revert to beginner. X-ComUtil can fix this bug.

The Collectors Edition however has this bug fixed, and this bug is not present in the Playstation version. I cannot vouch for the Amiga version.

- NKF

do you know if the bug is fixed on the steam version cause im playing superhuman and if its beginner lvl still then i feel bad cause i thought i was kicking donkey on superhuman.....

The Steam version comes bundled with both versions of the game if I'm not mistaken? So, it'll depend on which part of the game you're running. The side that you run via dosbox will probably not be, but you should be able to patch it just fine. The CE side will be fine.

If you've got mind probes, the easiest way to check if you're playing on beginner or non-beginner modes is to look up the armour levels. Aliens have half armour on beginner and normal on all other difficulties. The Alien Stats article on the wiki will be of assistance.

- NKF

The Steam version comes bundled with both versions of the game if I'm not mistaken? So, it'll depend on which part of the game you're running. The side that you run via dosbox will probably not be, but you should be able to patch it just fine. The CE side will be fine.

If you've got mind probes, the easiest way to check if you're playing on beginner or non-beginner modes is to look up the armour levels. Aliens have half armour on beginner and normal on all other difficulties. The Alien Stats article on the wiki will be of assistance.

- NKF

thanks ill check with some mind probes, what can i do if i find out that i only play beginner? u said something about pathing.

- NKF

nooo i just found out that even though i choise superhuman i can only play beginner.... steam i want my money back :P now i really need another version, i used a mind probe on a floater and its armor is 4-3-3-2-6 wich if only half of what it should be.... im so sad right now :P was feeling big and mighty until checked that floater soldier.

You are playing with the patched DOS version from Steam. The Collector's Edition executable was bundled with the release so check your Steam folder for it. The CE executable should allow you to play at any difficulty level. Or, if you like the DOS version, patch it with XcomUtil. That apparently fixes the bug too. =b

- Zombie

You are playing with the patched DOS version from Steam. The Collector's Edition executable was bundled with the release so check your Steam folder for it. The CE executable should allow you to play at any difficulty level. Or, if you like the DOS version, patch it with XcomUtil. That apparently fixes the bug too. =b

- Zombie

well at steam i can either buy the game or buy a pack with all the ufos in, but it dosent say collectors edition anywhere so i think ill have to check out xcomUtil.

That's for the other games in the series. The UFO CE executable should be bundled in with your copy of the game. You might have to check your game directory with Windows Explorer and try and locate the executable. Try looking for a file like "ufo.exe", "ufo defense.exe" or similar.

- NKF

That's for the other games in the series. The UFO CE executable should be bundled in with your copy of the game. You might have to check your game directory with Windows Explorer and try and locate the executable. Try looking for a file like "ufo.exe", "ufo defense.exe" or similar.

- NKF

im having pretty hard time finding the game, guess cause i bought it though steam but when i look in my steam libary i cant seem to find anything to do with ufo. searching for ufo.exe defense.exe or similiar dose not work. i think ill buy they game so i can play without having steam to run, wich version should i buy? collectors?

If you have a default install of the game, the UFO Defense CE executable should be in the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\ folder. If it's not there, try downloading the game from Steam again. ;)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

If you have a default install of the game, the UFO Defense CE executable should be in the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\ folder. If it's not there, try downloading the game from Steam again. ;)

- Zombie

ty ofc it did :D

and it worked as well yay superhuman here i come! :chainsaw: :ar15:

Edited by Lexshu